Has RIM ever announced the end of BBOS7, or is it just assumed that it would be going away soon.

I think you are going to see BBOS7 devices in many markets for quite a while. An article I read was talking about other three other mobile OS coming this year and on (they mentioned RIM and the others were from Samsung, Firefox and a Linux brand) and most were going to be more for developing markets. One even mentioned some specs for the phone and it was an 800Mhz single core... If RIM is to compete, they are not going to be able to do it with BB10 and it's minimum 2 core requirements.

But I think the keeping BBOS7 alive here in the states is going to be a BIG mistake! Many people that are force by their company, or has no other prepaid Blackberry option is going to continue to HATE the BB Brand and they will continue to dilute the BB10 Platform.
    01-03-13 03:25 PM
    Actually RIM has said that they will release a lower level BB10 by the end of the year. But I agree with your point.
    Thanks for the information, I didn't know they will release an entry-level BB10 later this year already. I thought they would completely concentrate on high-end and mid-range markets for 2013.
    01-03-13 03:30 PM
    This is a cheap device to hit low end market. I don't understand why T-Mobile will carry it when they have the 9360 which seems to be at a same price point, but that is another issue all together. Releasing this device has nothing to do with BB10.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-03-13 03:40 PM
    Then release cheapo models running BB10..... Ugh, old BB'S have to go, RIM can't afford to have lesser models that will continue to be laughed at when they're completely rebranding themselves...People will see them and just lol and continue to stay away.
    They won't be able to release truly low end models right away though and still make a profit, so the most likely approach for carriers anticipating increased interest in blackberry that want to slim down their range will be to drop most of the existing bb7 devices and have something like this cheap one at the low end and bb10 devices above it.
    01-03-13 06:04 PM
    Actually RIM has said that they will release a lower level BB10 by the end of the year. But I agree with your point.
    Lower level at this stage could be a mid-level device priced between this at the bottom and the l and n-series at the higher end.
    01-03-13 06:06 PM
    This is a cheap device to hit low end market. I don't understand why T-Mobile will carry it when they have the 9360 which seems to be at a same price point, but that is another issue all together. Releasing this device has nothing to do with BB10.
    It might be that they intend to phase out the 9360 and most other bb7 devices and just stock this cheapy one.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-03-13 06:07 PM
    It would have been nice if it had come out before Christmas.
    01-03-13 06:25 PM
    Not surprised. RiM's strategey is very clear, continue bb7 for low end markets and consumers and BB10 for developed, high income customers. As study proven that Samsung's success is not because of Galaxy but to offer many many choices..
    jesse_h and big_time2 like this.
    01-03-13 08:37 PM
    The company I work for buys cheap curves for most employees and 9900 for managers and above. not everyone wants or can afford a BB10 Thats why Ford and Chevy make different Models at different prices
    big_time2 and Villain like this.
    01-03-13 11:18 PM
    My bad, I apologize for my earlier misunderstanding of ColdSunshine's post. As I said, I thought he/she meant something else..
    DocDRM, big_time2 and Jonesy1966 like this.
    01-03-13 11:29 PM
    I remember a video showing a British health service program where nurses, physios, etc using what appeared to be curves linking to the main computers. Obviously the "low end" phones are still capable for the basic communications requirements. I think BBOS7.1 is very effective for those basic communications. Of course, I still want my BB10.....
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-04-13 01:58 AM
    Uuh, I didn't get that impression at all. I think he meant that accidents happen, especially with company phones where the cost of losing the device is much lower for the user (ie they don't have to buy a new phone for hundreds of dollars).
    I did mean that and I'm a she.

I work with doctors, nurses and nursing students. At least once every month, someone's pager takes a swim in a toilet. That's why we buy the cheap pager models. We can't afford to spend $200 on a pager only to have it last a month.
    pantlesspenguin and big_time2 like this.
    01-04-13 12:14 PM
    I'm thinking you're the only one thinking that's what ColdSunshine meant. I took it as " Hey, we aren't buying high end phones for execs, here. We're buying phones for housekeeping, orderlies, maint guys, nurses, etc - and they are active busy people who will break and lose phones. Let's get these cheap, but still powerful as smartphone BlackBerry Curves. We can always replace them pretty cheaply. . . . "
    FTR, my sister is executive assistant to the VP of Marketing and two other VPs at a VERY well known children's hospital. She and her VP both have low end Curves as do the other VPs she supports.

It's not just the orderlies that get cheap phones. Everyone who gets a company issued phone gets the option of a dumbphone or a Curve.

They also provide company cars to their VPs and CEOs. Wanna guess what kind they get?

A Hyundai Elantra base model with manual door locks and manual windows.

I stand by my post stating RIM isn't doing anything wrong. They still have a need for those low end models even in the USA.
    01-04-13 12:16 PM
    I stand by my post stating RIM isn't doing anything wrong. They still have a need for those low end models even in the USA.
    +1 but ...
    Everywhere, in did.
    Say that 50% of BB users will drop their OS6+ devices within 18 months in favor of BB10 (that's optimistic ?), there are still 40 millions clients to satisfy with reasonable yet efficient phones ...
    The fact that US have the first shipping does not mean we won't see this model in other places ...
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 01:01 PM
    if the curves are selling, why would anyone want to second guess RIM or the phone company?
    jakie55 and big_time2 like this.
    01-04-13 01:33 PM
    +1 but ...
    Everywhere, in did.
    Say that 50% of BB users will drop their OS6+ devices within 18 months in favor of BB10 (that's optimistic ?), there are still 40 millions clients to satisfy with reasonable yet efficient phones ...
    The fact that US have the first shipping does not mean we won't see this model in other places ...
    I doubt that half of people with current BBOS phones will ditch them in favor of BBX unless RIM or carriers do some major subsidizing or offers or something. Many people can't afford it.

The iPhone off contract was about $700 when I bought it. If BBX phones are anywhere near that, there aren't that many people I can think of who can drop that kind of money on a phone who have bills to pay. I know I can't.

if the curves are selling, why would anyone want to second guess RIM or the phone company?
    The Curves aren't selling well enough to keep RIM afloat or they wouldn't be where they were. For every hospital that buys a thousand Curves, there are four others that buy twice as many iPhones.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather see a hospital spend money on equipment that can save my life than see a doctor or VP with a fancy phone especially if I'm paying for it with my hospital bills.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-04-13 02:22 PM
    *News flash* There are people who don't want a computer style smartphone but who do want an upgrade from a basic flip phone and/or don't feel the need to spend hundreds of dollars.
    Superfly_FR, jakie55 and big_time2 like this.
    01-04-13 02:41 PM
    I doubt that half of people with current BBOS phones will ditch them in favor of BBX unless RIM or carriers do some major subsidizing or offers or something. Many people can't afford it.

The iPhone off contract was about $700 when I bought it. If BBX phones are anywhere near that, there aren't that many people I can think of who can drop that kind of money on a phone who have bills to pay. I know I can't.

The Curves aren't selling well enough to keep RIM afloat or they wouldn't be where they were. For every hospital that buys a thousand Curves, there are four others that buy twice as many iPhones.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather see a hospital spend money on equipment that can save my life than see a doctor or VP with a fancy phone especially if I'm paying for it with my hospital bills.
    It just depends where you work, and the phone policy for that employer.

In my job, doctors and administrators get a work issued 9900. Lower echelon employees get the Curves. The people who want iPhones can buy them with their own money. In meetings, you will see the doctors and admins stack their 2 phones in front of themselves. hey, they can afford it!
    01-04-13 02:43 PM
    #1 I doubt that half of people with current BBOS phones will ditch them in favor of BBX unless RIM or carriers do some major subsidizing or offers or something. Many people can't afford it.

#2 The iPhone off contract was about $700 when I bought it. If BBX phones are anywhere near that, there aren't that many people I can think of who can drop that kind of money on a phone who have bills to pay. I know I can't.
    #1 sure, that's - as noted- very optimistic. But the lower you change it, the most "non BB10" users you get ...
    #2 I don't understand: you can buy a $700 ip off contract, but not a sexier device for the same price ? Also, not that much more carriers will support BB10 than it was at the begining of iP, so that you might consider buying on contract; many will.
    01-04-13 03:03 PM
    We're very egalitarian in my agency, I guess. All 9930s.

I do understand that not everyone is out for a flagship device. The Curve has a definite spot. Heck I might even buy one it comes to AT&T and if it's around the 350 range. I love the Curve keyboard.
    Wino Ryder likes this.
    01-04-13 03:08 PM
    The color Curves are the best!
    01-04-13 03:26 PM
    We're very egalitarian in my agency, I guess. All 9930s.

I do understand that not everyone is out for a flagship device. The Curve has a definite spot. Heck I might even buy one it comes to AT&T and if it's around the 350 range. I love the Curve keyboard.
    As much as I hate to admit it, I will most likely not buy the new BB-10. Sure, its going to be a killer phone, but my Curve 8530 does me a great job for my lifestyle and work needs. I just dont have to have a mini computer fastened to my belt. Is it awesome? I'm sure it is, but the money I spend on it would cover the cost of a new desktop computer I would rather have to replace my ailing XP. If I do buy a new phone it will be the 9310 on Boost Mobile. Any way you look at it, its still going to be a Blackberry, as I'm sold on the Brand. Like 'qbnkelt' said, the Curve keyboard is great. Not everyone is up to BB-10, but theyre still BB loyal
    01-04-13 03:39 PM
    who cares whether RIM offers curves?
    if RIM can sell curves, why not?
    are they the phone that is going to save RIM, well obviously not, considering all the BB10 hoopla...
    why would anybody question RIM selling curves, geez, come on people
    01-04-13 03:39 PM
    #1 sure, that's - as noted- very optimistic. But the lower you change it, the most "non BB10" users you get ...
    #2 I don't understand: you can buy a $700 ip off contract, but not a sexier device for the same price ? Also, not that much more carriers will support BB10 than it was at the begining of iP, so that you might consider buying on contract; many will.
    #2 I had the money at the time and my Storm2 was on its last legs and I couldn't wait another year and a half with that phone. Do I have it now? Hahahahahahaha. No. Not unless I marry rich in the next few days.

I'm with Verizon. I can't afford to lose my unlimited data to save $ on a phone. I don't have wifi at home or at work that I can use. IS at work blocks all streaming sites and even on my phone when I listen to Sirius or watch Netflix at work, I can't use hospital wifi because it's blocked. I spend enough time on a computer at work that I refuse to have one at home.

I have to use data and can't afford to buy a phone on contract to save the $. I'd have to up my data package in the 8-12 GB range and that's simply not an option for me price wise with Verizon. I'd have to buy the phone at retail to keep my data as it is.
    01-04-13 03:44 PM
    I must be cheap as **** because I am still rocking my Curve 8520 with its OS 5 and twiddling my thumbs as I wait for BB10 phones to arrive.
    01-04-13 03:50 PM
65 123