BBM is more private only people that add you or you add them can chat with you (not the whole 2000 people in your contacts you don't necessarily want to chat with)

BBM is fast and delivers instantly

The D and R thing which some hate, but most love because you know if the network is bad or you're just being ignored

BBM Voice (when it eventual goes cross platform too)

BBM Video (when it eventual goes cross platform too)

You can delete yourself from someones list by deleting him/her from yours (really cool) and they would never know except they were stalking you, in which case you're better off without them

BBM DP peeping is a good thing for entertainment and to kill boredom and tells you what's going on in that persons life (if you care to know) and most people forget this so they're always either showing off or exposing themselves
    Very true. If only BBM allow more contacts to be added. With this cross platform thing, it's a matter or months (1-2) for someone who use BBM as primary communication for business to reach the limit.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 02:40 AM
    You mean, this one?

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/24...roid-spoof-app

Gotta love the Play store... this one seems worse than the BBM fakes though because it actually sort of works...

Posted via CB10
    Ouch!
    How many people lost their AppleIDs (and who knows what other info) to unknown entities in China due to this thing?
    That's the problem with free (and some other) 3rd party Apps unfortunately, do people think that they're put together by charitable organisations or something?

Z10 via CB10
    09-25-13 03:10 AM
    I'm an iPhone user and I want BBM because I like the look of The BBM app! I'm so use to it from being a blackberry user for so long.. They say you don't know what you miss until it's gone well I miss BBM!
    Do u have it now?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 03:35 AM
    im on blackberry messenger for iPhone right now, my friends some of them still using bb devices. I still have my javelin 8900 since i bought it in 2008, it was my first smartphone (javelin) before i became convert to android then iOs

Keep my bb messenger for nostalgia purpose..evidently for contacting & keep in touch with people through bb messenger, i got benefit out of it.

i had playbook tablet for 4 moths before someone stole it. I just wondered what those engineers and product manager over at RIM smoking? A Tablet that doesnt include Bbmessenger PIN!
    Da Fuq!! its dead on arrival product right there!! nevertheless i only bought it on firesale for US$260 back then.

i have tried Kik app.. it was more or less just like bbmessenger but none of people i know of were using it so i just deleted it.
    I wish bb messenger would be as big as whatsapp/wechat/Line!!
    bbmessenger has potential to be a huge platform, if they doing it right!
    09-25-13 03:43 AM
    yes, as soon as that one is reverse engineered by a trusted developer, that will probably be a big deal.
    I doubt apple will allow their proprietary messaging service go cross-platform especially if the app is made by another developer, at least not in the foreseeable future.

via my Q10's smexy keyboard.
    09-25-13 03:57 AM
    I wouldn't know why they would want it but if a leak adds 1.1 million users in a space of hours then you've got some more head scratching to do.
    09-25-13 06:23 AM
    Based on my own observation in my locale, many see cross-platform BBM as a god-sent opportunity to get rid of their BlackBerry devices for good.

..then again, I live in a country where a massive proportion of BB users got theirs because of cheaper internet access via BIS and BBM. With cheaper data plans now available for iOS and Android devices and cross platform BBM, it's now much easier to move on from BlackBerry.

I've always said it...you cannot eat your cake and have it. BBM will grab a healthy chunk of the messaging biz but at the expense of a lot of their device sales.
    09-25-13 07:03 AM
    Because of Indonesia BBM users , that is the answer , its not that people in USA or Europe want to install BBM to chat with friends or relative but because 10million Indonesia do .
    and thats 10 million or so indonesian users taste how bad is the blackberry phone which slow , short battery live , even crashed many times a day and all of that Indonesia users want to keep contact with friends and relative using BBM on their iphone or droid .
    No other explaination .. only this ... by the way i am from indonesia
    09-25-13 07:28 AM
    A lot of fallacies in this thread.

Android/Apple users are unlikely to replace BBM with anything on their device, but to use it as a supplementary IM service to the ones they currently use. Contrary to a lot of misunderstanding, people generally don't have an issue with alternative IM services such as Whatsapp etc, they work fine.

As has been mentioned, BBM for a lot of people allows them to use a service which is still widespread in some areas with a mobile device with more functionality and that is more competitively priced.
    09-25-13 07:48 AM
    And why would I try to persuade my other friends on WhatsApp to switch to BBM when I only need BBM to contact just one person. Easier to persuade that one person on BBM to switch to WhatsApp when his contract ends in 21 months.
    You understand cross platform right?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:52 AM
    Any answers?
    Curiosity. Most instant messengers for Android are plain crap. Eating too much RAM, not possible to move them to SD or they are overloaded. I seriously doubt that BBM for Android will be better than most of it (because RAM is an Android OS problem), so I will probably only want to give it a try. Maybe BB team is smarter and allows BBM to be moveable to the SD card, if not a lot of people won't be able to even use it.

Anyway, I think it's naive to think that BBM would be as "good" as on a Blackberry device.
    09-25-13 10:16 AM
    Curiosity. Most instant messengers for Android are plain crap. Eating too much RAM, not possible to move them to SD or they are overloaded. I seriously doubt that BBM for Android will be better than most of it (because RAM is an Android OS problem), so I will probably only want to give it a try. Maybe BB team is smarter and allows BBM to be moveable to the SD card, if not a lot of people won't be able to even use it.

Anyway, I think it's naive to think that BBM would be as "good" as on a Blackberry device.
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Whatsapp, Google Talk, Hangouts, Kik are pretty good (definitely NOT crap) and don't take up as much resources as you're trying to claim.
    Also, all those apps are pretty small, certainly <50MB for most of them. It fits EASILY in the internal memory.

At the end of the line, BBM will be as good...and eventually better than on Blackberry devices. Far more avenues to monetize on iOS and Android's massive userbase...the bulk of BlackBerry users are still on OS5, 6 and 7 and will not be able to take advantage of top drawer BBM features. It's naive to think that BB - locked in a massive battle with Skype, Whatsapp, Kik, Line etc - will reserve their best features for the less than 10 million BB10 devices in the wild.
    09-25-13 11:08 AM
    Because of Indonesia BBM users , that is the answer , its not that people in USA or Europe want to install BBM to chat with friends or relative but because 10million Indonesia do .
    and thats 10 million or so indonesian users taste how bad is the blackberry phone which slow , short battery live , even crashed many times a day and all of that Indonesia users want to keep contact with friends and relative using BBM on their iphone or droid .
    No other explaination .. only this ... by the way i am from indonesia
    This man speaks the truth. Listen to him.
    09-25-13 11:09 AM
    Whatsapp is battery hog

Posted via Q10 using CB10
    09-25-13 11:25 AM
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Whatsapp, Google Talk, Hangouts, Kik are pretty good (definitely NOT crap) and don't take up as much resources as you're trying to claim.
    Also, all those apps are pretty small, certainly <50MB for most of them. It fits EASILY in the internal memory.

LOL, funny you mention exactly THE crappy apps.

WhatsApp -> not possible to move to SD, high RAM usage, high battery usage
    Hangouts -> think the reviews say it all, 50% say it's crap, no SD support, high RAM usage
    KIK -> slow, eating a hell of battery and also RAM usage is insane

And Facebook... even worse.. so I won't mention it

50 MB or even 20 MB in internal memory might be small for YOU but for millions it's too much. Look at normal priced phones. 200 bucks - 300 bucks. You got a Sony a year ago. 512 MB internal storage. And not 512 MB available storage because 90% is already filled with non-removable bloatware. Not everyone can or want to root, right? I did root it and was able to remove most bloatware, still I do have only 150-180 MB internal storage available without installing a single program. If I install a camera application with some filters, 50 MB are easily gone. Install 2 or 3 more programs and the memory is gone.

Of course it's possible to add A2SD support to any program, but developers are too lazy. From 90% of the messengers only Hike was able to integrate it. How sad.

So you see not everyone has 1 GB, 5 GB or 100 GB of internal memory

At the end of the line, BBM will be as good...and eventually better than on Blackberry devices.

LOL. Better than on BB devices? How can that be possible? You know that it's a completely different OS and BB cannot fix the OS errors like Android OS RAM problems etc?! Also using BBM on Android would be less "secure" anyway because push messages would be sent through Google's servers

My guess: BBM will be like any other Android messenger: High RAM usage, high internal memory usage, eating a hell of battery and cannot do one thing more than any other messenger. Also the userbase of BBM is low (compared to all the Android messengers). That way BBM must be 100 times better than FB, WhatsApp, Kik, Hike, Threema and Kakao for people to switch permanently. Not possible, I think.

I would be HAPPY if BBM would be fantastic... but it's not realistic because Android is totally different then BB OS and BB team is not able to fix Android OS' problems

Anyway, maybe I am blind, but I do not see one single advantage of using BBM. Maybe you can tell me what the difference is to Threema, Facebook, WhatsApp or any other messenger for Android.

All I know about BBM is: (as I said, please correct me if I'm wrong)

- tiny userbase (compared to FB messenger, compared to WhatsApp, compared to Line, compared to Kakao, etc.)

- no end-to-end encryption (without having a BES)

- only BB, iOS and (one day) Android supported, so no Nokia, no Windows phone, ..

PS: I am no more using Facebook nor WhatsCrap, Hike, Kakao, Line, Hangout .. so my bla is not some advertising for them
    09-25-13 12:42 PM
    LOL, funny you mention exactly THE crappy apps.

WhatsApp -> not possible to move to SD, high RAM usage, high battery usage
    Hangouts -> think the reviews say it all, 50% say it's crap, no SD support, high RAM usage
    KIK -> slow, eating a hell of battery and also RAM usage is insane

And Facebook... even worse.. so I won't mention it

50 MB or even 20 MB in internal memory might be small for YOU but for millions it's too much. Look at normal priced phones. 200 bucks - 300 bucks. You got a Sony a year ago. 512 MB internal storage. And not 512 MB available storage because 90% is already filled with non-removable bloatware. Not everyone can or want to root, right? I did root it and was able to remove most bloatware, still I do have only 150-180 MB internal storage available without installing a single program. If I install a camera application with some filters, 50 MB are easily gone. Install 2 or 3 more programs and the memory is gone.

Of course it's possible to add A2SD support to any program, but developers are too lazy. From 90% of the messengers only Hike was able to integrate it. How sad.

So you see not everyone has 1 GB, 5 GB or 100 GB of internal memory

At the end of the line, BBM will be as good...and eventually better than on Blackberry devices.

LOL. Better than on BB devices? How can that be possible? You know that it's a completely different OS and BB cannot fix the OS errors like Android OS RAM problems etc?! Also using BBM on Android would be less "secure" anyway because push messages would be sent through Google's servers

My guess: BBM will be like any other Android messenger: High RAM usage, high internal memory usage, eating a hell of battery and cannot do one thing more than any other messenger. Also the userbase of BBM is low (compared to all the Android messengers). That way BBM must be 100 times better than FB, WhatsApp, Kik, Hike, Threema and Kakao for people to switch permanently. Not possible, I think.

I would be HAPPY if BBM would be fantastic... but it's not realistic because Android is totally different then BB OS and BB team is not able to fix Android OS' problems

Anyway, maybe I am blind, but I do not see one single advantage of using BBM. Maybe you can tell me what the difference is to Threema, Facebook, WhatsApp or any other messenger for Android.

All I know about BBM is: (as I said, please correct me if I'm wrong)

- tiny userbase (compared to FB messenger, compared to WhatsApp, compared to Line, compared to Kakao, etc.)

- no end-to-end encryption (without having a BES)

- only BB, iOS and (one day) Android supported, so no Nokia, no Windows phone, ..

PS: I am no more using Facebook nor WhatsCrap, Hike, Kakao, Line, Hangout .. so my bla is not some advertising for them
    Why the hell is this guy mixing up RAM with ROM??
    What does having SD support have to do with anything for a small app?

Someone Please ask this guy to stop posting. I truly hope you're just trolling... If not your ignorance is stunning.

Finally, a massive amount of budget android phones now ship with 1gb ram and the mtk6589 quad core chipsets... So there.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
    09-25-13 01:15 PM
    What's wrong with Facebook chat? They even tell you when the other person is typing.. and everyone almost everybody has an account? Are the Internet rates that expensive? So mainly BBM is for those who want to communicate anonymously securely and free?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:20 PM
    It's been said before but now succinctly these are all the BBM features on BB10...

1. Not tied to a phone number or device or SIM so portable and secure and private.
    2. Very robust Group functions
    3. True D and R with almost real time speed
    4. Multi-person conversations
    5. Channels (later this fall for iOS/Android)
    6. Voice & video chats (later this fall for iOS/Android)
    7. Screen sharing. (not sure if this will be available for iOS/Android or stay exclusive to BB10)

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 01:34 PM
    Why the hell is this guy mixing up RAM with ROM??
    What does having SD support have to do with anything for a small app?
    Someone Please ask this guy to stop posting. I truly hope you're just trolling... If not your ignorance is stunning.
    Finally, a massive amount of budget android phones now ship with 1gb ram and the mtk6589 quad core chipsets... So there.
    Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4
    SD support is needed when you are low on internal storage.

RAM I mentioned because most messaging apps eat a hell of RAM and crappy Android OS is not able to free it(as originally planned by the Android team. For devices with 2 GB of RAM not important. For so-called "low end devices" it is.

Anyway, sorry for asking why BBM is better than the 1000 other messengers. Sorry if that is trolling.

So in other words, your recommendation is to buy a new phone to be able to use BBM? Absurd, isn't it? Also what means "budget" Android phones? Budget means 20 bucks to me.

09-25-13 04:25 PM
    I have to agree with this. WhatsApp is so unreliable and there are times when I don't get messages for hours. I can't say if this is a server issue or just some random glitch, but this delay in messages has happened to me quite a lot (and others that I know -- mostly on the other end of the message). I know some will counter and say BBM was down for 3 days before. But that was an anomaly in my opinion and the amount of outages has been minimal and was reported.

Reliability, cost (not sure if BBM will remain free), security, and anonymity are probably the main reasons why folks want (and need) BBM. I think this summarizes what others commented above.
    WhatsApp on my s3 is neither a battery hog or unreliable..... I'll install BBM but reckon it's life on my fone will be a week or 2. I have no clients or friends left on BBM, and this balls up of a launch suggests they have no clue how to cope with 200 million extra users.........

Without windows it isn't truly cross platform either.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    Donvald likes this.
    09-25-13 04:40 PM
    Talkingbee, since andriod 4 you can't move any apps to the sd card, and since BBM won't work on any older andriod versions you won't be able to install it on an sd card either....

So BBM cross platform will be for 50% of andriod handsets, no windows handsets and no legacy handsets either, even nokia asha phone have whatsapp.......

If andriod was as crap as you suggest it's odd that they register in 4 days what BB 10 have sold in 8 months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    Donvald likes this.
    09-25-13 04:53 PM
    For me? Nostalgic purposes. Plus I hate phone conversations unless they are essential.
    09-25-13 04:56 PM
    SD support is needed when you are low on internal storage.

RAM I mentioned because most messaging apps eat a hell of RAM and crappy Android OS is not able to free it(as originally planned by the Android team. For devices with 2 GB of RAM not important. For so-called "low end devices" it is.

Anyway, sorry for asking why BBM is better than the 1000 other messengers. Sorry if that is trolling.

So in other words, your recommendation is to buy a new phone to be able to use BBM? Absurd, isn't it? Also what means "budget" Android phones? Budget means 20 bucks to me.

Me thinks you haven't used android phones lately. Ram management has improved a bit since jellybean(ICS was quite a bit of a resource hog, think vista on PC). While it's true that whatsapp can't be moved to internal storage, kik, voxer, tango, skype, etc, can. I can understand your love for bbm, but i wouldn't call it better than 1000 other messengers since it can't even do cross platform(yet). As for budget, by your logic no bb10 device fits that description, but there are some droids out there(Like say pantech burst which is a nice dual core with 1 gig of ram running ICS) that you can get for less than a hundred bucks(and yes, according to blackberry that phone should be able to run bbm since it meets the requirements...actually that phone has been able to run almost everything i threw at it).

Back to the topic, most of us are moved by curiosity. It's part of being an android user, if a new popular app pops up you say"why the hell not?" and try it out. And this wasn't any regular app, this was bbm, so of course everyone and their mother was gonna want it just to see if it lived up to the hype(for those of us who never owned a blackberry).
    Donvald likes this.
    09-25-13 05:09 PM
    If you tried the new phones that wouldn't be all you missed

Posted from My all in one beauty Z10
    09-25-13 05:11 PM
    Because I'm ex blackberry user and that's the only this I miss from blackberry and many of my friends still using it.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    If you tried the new phones that wouldn't be all you missed

Posted from My all in one beauty Z10
    09-25-13 05:13 PM
116 12345