In thinking about whether the absence of wi-fi in the Tour is a dealbreaker for me considering I travel globally, I had the following thoughts about us Verizon customers in particular:

Many people say a compelling reason to have wi-fi is overseas travel. My opening questions are . . .

Do you want to spend time and resources figuring out where free wi-fi hotspots are overseas especially if you don't know your way around?

Then, if the hotspot is not conveniently located, do you want to spend resources getting there?

When you have spent the time and money to travel, do you want to be chained to one location to check emails and browse the web or would you rather be able to access the internet on the go?

If you're traveling for pleasure, I assume you would rather have the option of browsing the web while sightseeing, which is the goal of most trips for pleasure. Time is always too short during overseas travel and most of us already wish we had more time to spend there.

Even if you are traveling for business, being able to access the web while on the go has its advantages.

My point is that with Verizon, you can purchase the global data plan for approximately $60 per month and set it only for the time you are gone. VZ then prorates that amount. This results in approximately $15 for 1 week to have unlimited internet access. I imagine that other carriers have a similar program although I am not sure.

I realize that many people here don't want to pay for something that you perceive you can get for free but what is an extra $15 dollars ($30 if 2-week trip) to pay for the huge convenience of accessing the web while doing the things you traveled to do instead of being chained to a wi-fi spot, when you already are spending large sums of money on the trip itself.

Most of us are liklely to waste the same amount of money on something else during the trip and could therefore absorb the extra expense by making an acceptable sacrifice in some other area of the trip.

If you are traveling for work and you need the email for work, you could try to persuade your job to pay the extra expense. If they don't perhaps you have a tax write off.

Context: it would be nice to have wi-fi, but my point is that I would not let the absence of wi-fi determine your phone choice or carrier choice based strictly on having wi-fi for global travel.
    Last edited by generic username; 06-05-09 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Modified thread title
    06-03-09 10:58 AM
    Wifi and UMA are very useful while traveling because you have full access to your plan. For most, that means calling home or back to the Corporate offices without incurring International Roaming charges. Most Hotels offer Wifi to guests.

Your CDMA BlackBerry will not be very useful out side of North America. Europe, Asia and most developing countries use GSM technology. If Wifi were an option, you could continue service in a Wifi Hotspot. Unfortunately, Verizon does not support Unlimited Mobile Access.
    06-03-09 12:47 PM
    Reed, I am unfamiliar with how UMA works. I thought it relates to unlimited callling minutes only irrespective of wi-fi, but is it related to wi-fi access too? I apologize if I am in the dark ages on this.

You make a good point about hotels, but is it safe to say that most BB users taveling overseas also have laptops which are preferable to use in the hotel room itself?
    06-03-09 12:58 PM
    Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) is a technology that uses Wifi radio frequencies in place of cellular radio. The Internet provides the connection for voice and data.

UMA Technology : Overview

Marketing is a challenge for the carriers, T-Mobile and Rogers offer unlimited calling for an additional subscription charge. Orange UK does not, they promote the improved level of service through UMA.

Some business travelers may still need to pack a portable, but many can choose to leave it behind and pack just the BlackBerry.

Other devices, iPhone in particular, use Wifi to supplement the carrier when Internet Browsing. There is no voice and data connection, that still requires the cellular carrier or a roaming partner.
    06-03-09 03:34 PM
    wait for tmobile you need that unlimited hotspot thing first?
    06-03-09 04:05 PM
    Idk, my wife has tmo and I have ATT but she can connect through UMA fine and places calls etc. The rep at the store said she didn't have to worry about minutes if she was on wifi network. I think I'm gonna have to double check so I don't get screwed, lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 05:15 PM
    T-Mobile offers the HotSpot service for an additional $10 per month. If you subscribe, your plan includes unlimited voice and data.

If you have a T-Mobile 8320 used on AT&T, the plan is not available. You will have access to your plan, with the added benifit of UMA support.

In Canada, Rogers offers an unlimited voice plan for $20. Still a deal.
    06-03-09 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD