This is more of a rant than anything else so here goes.....

Why are what I deem to be OLD drives still being sold....? The number of times I have been in stores or on the internet and seen Curve 8530's and 9300's still being sold at a similar price point to the NEW 9320?

No wonder people moan and groan about how slow the browser is when they have just bought a brand new in box 2G phone running O/S 4.6 or 5.0

Suppose the same can be said for the Bold 9780 and the Torch 9800 still being offered with O/S 6?

If users are buying a "new" device it should be just that.... NEW... not what we had in 2009!

*Rant Over*
    shemaree09 and tkwolf like this.
    06-07-12 09:03 AM
    Because people are funny. I actually witnessed a person buying a curve for $49 when they could have had a bold for $99 (edit: This was at a time when either could have been purchased online for free on a contract renewal). On a two year contract. $50 over two years is what? $2 a month? 7� a day? So they gave up 3G, camera flash, and who knows what else for the CRV on one soda can. So, the next time you are treated as if you have an IQ of 85, try to remember there are millions who do, and it's very profitable to assume everyone does.
    Last edited by palomartian; 06-07-12 at 09:38 AM.
    Umedon likes this.
    06-07-12 09:31 AM
    VZW website still offer the 9650 and I think 9630. Both are free. I think it's a good option for those that want to upgrade and not spend $100+.

We are kind od the suckers here in that we spend $250 on a phone that will always be free eventually.

Who's the smart ones now?
    06-07-12 09:35 AM
    I actually witnessed a person buying a curve for $49 when they could have had a bold for $99 (edit: This was at a time when either could have been purchased online for free on a contract renewal). On a two year contract. $50 over two years is what? $2 a month? 7� a day?
    That's not quite how that works. That $49 is the purchase price at that moment to get the device and into the two year contract. Maybe the person just didn't have the extra 50 bucks to spare at that particular time. Not so unusual in this economy. If you need something, you get what you can afford.

While I agree that getting it online would have been better, some people just don't do that yet.
    akaquietstorm likes this.
    06-07-12 09:49 AM
    VZW website still offer the 9650 and I think 9630. Both are free. I think it's a good option for those that want to upgrade and not spend $100+.

We are kind od the suckers here in that we spend $250 on a phone that will always be free eventually.

Just because its free doesnt make it a great value.

The 9930 is being sold for under $100

Why would you get a Blackberry with an old OS and crappy browser.....in 2012????
    06-07-12 10:34 AM
    Why would you get a Blackberry with an old OS and crappy browser.....in 2012????
    Perhaps those people buying the 9650 aren't aware how old it is when they're buying it?
    06-07-12 10:37 AM

Not the person getting stuck in a 2 year contract with a Tour. I wouldn't be caught dead rocking that phone in summer 2014.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-07-12 10:38 AM
    Perhaps those people buying the 9650 aren't aware how old it is when they're buying it?
    That I would believe. Do the majority of people buying a device know how new they are, or if there are any newer models.
    06-07-12 10:39 AM
    People do not know what is new and what is old. They go to a phone store and they are shown lots of phones. They do not understand that one has a good browser whilst the one beside it, that looks the same, has a lousy broswer.

The phone store (whoever they are) often has a large stock of old phones so they try to sell them at the highest proce possible.
    06-07-12 10:40 AM
    thats the point. Verizon is still selling 2009 Blackberry's. It hurts the consumer and RIM.

the consumer gets sold an old 2009 phone they are stuck with until 2014.

RIM gets a bad reputation because the consumer will be fed up with their phone and think all Blackberry's suck.

RIM should pull all OS 5 and 6 phones from carriers. It doesnt do them any good.
    KodyShadow likes this.
    06-07-12 10:42 AM
    That I would believe. Do the majority of people buying a device know how new they are, or if there are any newer models.
    thats the point. Verizon is still selling 2009 Blackberry's. It hurts the consumer and RIM.
    Especially adds insult to injury when the sales people aren't very understanding about RIM/BB to begin with, let alone knowing a Tour or a 9650 is over two years old.
    06-07-12 10:43 AM
    Especially adds insult to injury when the sales people aren't very understanding about RIM/BB to begin with, let alone knowing a Tour or a 9650 is over two years old.
    I was under the impression that Verizon doesn't even carry those phones anymore, in physical stores at least. Wasn't that a big issue before, that people actually had to ask for the 9930 because it wasn't displayed? If the 9930 wasn't displayed, I don't see them having a 9630 or 9650 set up.
    06-07-12 10:47 AM
    I was under the impression that Verizon doesn't even carry those phones anymore, in physical stores at least. Wasn't that a big issue before, that people actually had to ask for the 9930 because it wasn't displayed? If the 9930 wasn't displayed, I don't see them having a 9630 or 9650 set up.
    They were available on Verizon.com for the longest time. I haven't checked lately to see if they are still there. I was in an actual brick and mortar store looking for an accessory and heard some sales guy referring to a Storm, but due to their ignorance, he may have meant a Torch. I didn't ask.
    06-07-12 10:52 AM
    good question. I didn't buy my 9930 in-store but I've been in a Verizon store briefly and I didn't see any Blackberry's on display. If they were, they definitely weren't front and center.
    06-07-12 10:52 AM
    There may also be the issue that a person may prefer a 9300's keyboard to a Bold's. Don't think I'm crazy....sometimes I switch out my 9930 for my 9370. It fits better in my hand. I also switched out my 9810 for my 9300. Same reason.

There may be fans of the 9300 out there...for whatever reason...and they don't want to have the latest and greatest.

I had to drag my mother kicking and screaming into a 9700, then she loved it. Then I had to change her to a 9900 and she's not too keen on it.
    06-07-12 10:54 AM
    The first rule of retail is sell old stock first so it doesn't surprise me.

I do think it's funny that people place blame on the manufacturer for the choices retailers make.

I would go as far to say that the retailers are to blame for screwing the customer by selling them an old device and not informing them that there are newer/better options by the same manufacturer available.
    06-07-12 10:57 AM
    I had to drag my mother kicking and screaming into a 9700, then she loved it. Then I had to change her to a 9900 and she's not too keen on it.
    Its funny you mention that because I was thinking about getting a 9700 in white because I think it looks so classy lol Its like the prettiest Blackberry Ive ever seen

I would love to have a 9700 and a 9930.
    06-07-12 10:58 AM
    Its funny you mention that because I was thinking about getting a 9700 in white because I think it looks so classy lol Its like the prettiest Blackberry Ive ever seen

I would love to have a 9700 and a 9930.
    I love the Curve series. I also would have killed for a 9790, but they're none available here in the U.S. At least not that I've found. I'm planning a trip across the pond and I may just get one there.

A Curve with the specs of the 9900 and the camera of the 9810...I'd just give up the ghost right then and there...

But I do believe that the majority of people are not as crazed as we are for the latest and greatest. We are obviously a bit tech obsessed here...
    06-07-12 11:12 AM
    I love the Curve series. I also would have killed for a 9790, but they're none available here in the U.S. At least not that I've found. I'm planning a trip across the pond and I may just get one there.

A Curve with the specs of the 9900 and the camera of the 9810...I'd just give up the ghost right then and there...

But I do believe that the majority of people are not as crazed as we are for the latest and greatest. We are obviously a bit tech obsessed here...
    I think any Blackberry in white looks beautiful. I wish the Bold 9930 was sold in white in the US.

But I just feel like, why would you not want the newest phone out? Especially from Blackberry. Its the only one that is somewhat on par with other smartphones out today. I dont see the point in spending money on something dated when there are other options for the same price.
    06-07-12 11:16 AM
    You have to remember who a lot of those devices are sold to - teenagers and the poor - my niece wanted me to get her a 8530 for her birthday (which is today) simply because it was in white, she wasn't bothered when I explained to her that the 9320 was a much newer model (I got her the 9320 in the end, couldn't bring myself to buy a 8530).
    06-07-12 11:21 AM
    You have to remember who a lot of those devices are sold to - teenagers and the poor - my niece wanted me to get her a 8530 for her birthday (which is today) simply because it was in white, she wasn't bothered when I explained to her that the 9320 was a much newer model (I got her the 9320 in the end, couldn't bring myself to buy a 8530).
    See! If RIM would have sold the 9900/30 in White during the initial release I think more people would have jumped on it. It would stand out because it doesn't look like your typical Berry and they would realize how much of an improvement OS 7 is.
    akaquietstorm likes this.
    06-07-12 11:25 AM
    So I was out the price of a white case as well
    06-07-12 11:26 AM
    I'm getting a 9930 tomorrow. It's new to me!

There was a time when I cared avout having the latest phone tech and newest one out. I just don't care anymore. Phones are still an interest of mine but not like they used to be.

I like getting a phone after it's had a few updates and the price drops.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 06-07-12 at 11:58 AM.
    renzokuken.tan likes this.
    06-07-12 11:55 AM
    One doesn't need to buy into a contract to get a brand new, older BlackBerry phone. Many folks are quite happy with what the older phones are capable of, and buying, say, a brand new 8100 Pearl or 8330 Curve GSM models for under a $100.00 is a smart move for anyone wanting basic smartphone capabilities, and the ability to shop for month to month contracts, and getting only that which one needs. No point in signing up for a 2+ year contract so that you get the latest and greatest phone for pennies on the dollar, coupled with a forced everything, anything, and more of the same old chit for $100+ dollars per month plan.
    06-07-12 12:43 PM
    Here's a question..... If you personally KNOW that its not a new phone and you have options....then why do you even care???!!! Complain and rant about things that matter....like unemployment and healthcare. Things like that. People need to stop stressing over that doesn't matter..... That's how you end up naked under a bridge eating the faces of homeless people.
    06-07-12 06:38 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD