and unlocked phone I get roaming charges on my US carrier AT&T for roaming while in another country using the local carrier Vodafone
    06-20-15 07:54 PM
    Before you switched SIM cards, did you turn your phone on with the AT&T SIM card in it? Did you get any notifications (voicemail, email, etc?)

Were the roaming charges spread out across the entire duration of your overseas visit, or concentrated on one day?
    06-20-15 09:51 PM
    Thanks - Raino for the reply. There is a month delay in billing from AT&T, I was in the South Pacific Fiji, Vodafone using.. I may have turned the phone on shortly after landing, then turned off to put in new local Vodafone sim. I called AT&T yesterday and at best the person I was working with seemed they would have to put me on hold then come back to me for answers to my questions about the additional $200 charges placed on my bill. They mentioned two different date times.. one about the time we landed and one about the day we were leaving the islands. Also, AT&T told me that I was suppose to call them in advance to have the phones unlocked.. Which makes no sense. Reason is both our BB Z10 and Passport, were Not Purchased thru AT&T, They were Unlocked phones, the Z10 I have had for three years and in times passed traveling to South Pacific never incurred Roaming fees while using local sim. The Passport was purchased thru Amazon Unlocked/Blackberrry.. I believe who ever I spoke with is confused, because I have two other Z10's for the grand kids purchased thru AT&T that are not unlocked.
    I'm planning to visit the AT&T Corporate Store to go over the exact details. In all my research on this topic, I have found only two scenerios. For traveling - 1. if your with a US carrier, with Locked phone, you must ask them to Unlock it before travel, and they have certain guidelines/rules before they will do that..ex. AT&T, etc.
    2. use a Unlocked phone that is purchased outside of a particular network and agreement currently being used in US by you. Then when you arrive at the out of country destination purchase a prepaid plan sim. Which is what I have done this recent trip and past trip. However this is the first time that in my case AT&T added $200 additional charges for Data Roaming.
    It is still under my understanding that with an Unlocked phone, being used in another country with the local sim that my US carrier has no authority to charge me for roaming.
    I think there is something wrong either with settings, or APN settings.. I smell a rat on this. AT&T again told the charges were Valid. for the time we were using the phone out of country. It may be that when I placed the AT&T sim back in for a moment while there, caused the data roaming charges. There was 8712 kb data roaming - $174.24 What is weird that I remember, is even thou we were using local sim, my emails and text were coming in. Not sure why or how that was happening.
    06-21-15 08:25 AM
    You smell a rat? When my son was 8 tears old he went to Paris with his mom. He didn't have an email account. Did not know how to surf the web and was primarily using his iPhone to call his class mates. Remember, these were the days when they would NOT unlock an iPhone.

One week later they returned and he got a bill for $5000.00. At&t could not actually explain the billing -- like "He had his phone turned on, right..?" was their explanation. I told them -- while they were researching the issue -- to mention I was turning issue over to my attorney... who was on commission. (In other words I could beat the J.C. Penny off their asses with a cricket bat for no cost and forever.)

His charges dropped to a couple hundred bucks. Of course at&t were then soon involved -- in collusion with Apple -- in a massive anti-trust suit in Ca.
    06-21-15 11:33 AM
    I may have turned the phone on shortly after landing, then turned off to put in new local Vodafone sim.
    It may be that when I placed the AT&T sim back in for a moment while there, caused the data roaming charges.
    They mentioned two different date times.. one about the time we landed and one about the day we were leaving the islands.
    There was 8712 kb data roaming - $174.24
    8712kb is not a lot, although 'a lot' should probably be qualified with a time duration. It's roughly 8.5mb. If there were two instances when your AT&T SIM was in the phone while in Fiji, 8.5mb sounds somewhat plausible, especially if you have apps that sync in the background, like Facebook.

$20.49/mb--which seems to be the approximate pay-per-use rate they charged you--is ridiculous, although not unheard of. But here's the sad part: they offer a roaming package that gets you 120mb of data for $30, and Fiji is one of the covered destinations. So if your plan is current enough, maybe you could negotiate down closer to this $30 amount? You'd need a sympathetic rep though.

I would also focus on correlating the roaming data time frames against when you could have had your AT&T SIM card in the phone over there. If they charged you for roaming on a day there's 0% likelihood of your AT&T SIM card being in the phone, then something's fishy and you should be charged $0.00 for that.

Also, AT&T told me that I was suppose to call them in advance to have the phones unlocked.. Which makes no sense. The Passport was purchased thru Amazon Unlocked/Blackberrry.. I believe who ever I spoke with is confused, because I have two other Z10's for the grand kids purchased thru AT&T that are not unlocked.
    You are absolutely right. If your phones are unlocked and you plan on using local SIM cards, you don't need to do anything vis a vis contacting AT&T. The rep was, at best, not aware of your particular situation.

It is still under my understanding that with an Unlocked phone, being used in another country with the local sim that my US carrier has no authority to charge me for roaming.
    You are correct, again. Once the AT&T SIM card is out of your phone, they have no authority to charge you for roaming until that SIM card goes back in. And if it doesn't go back in overseas, there is no roaming charge as there was no roaming.

I think there is something wrong either with settings, or APN settings..
    APN settings wouldn't matter if you didn't have the proper SIM card in. In other words, if you somehow still had AT&T's APN settings but a Vodafone SIM card in, the worst that would have happened is your data, etc. would not have worked until Vodafone's settings were manually entered in. Remember--it all ties back to the SIM card.

What is weird that I remember, is even thou we were using local sim, my emails and text were coming in. Not sure why or how that was happening.
    Email is independent of SIM cards, but do you mean your texts were coming in to the AT&T number while the SIM card was out? That's normal. Text messages, voicemails, and perhaps call notifications too are held in abeyance until the SIM card goes back in. Then they all come flooding in.

But if the AT&T number's new text messages showed up while the Voda SIM was in...that's definitely weird.
    06-21-15 06:12 PM
    Want to Thank You for the breakdown and time spent in viewpoint to the issues at hand. As soon as I get a free moment, I'm heading to the Corporate store to spend some time up close and personal with them and look at timelines and on their screen. Will follow-up once I have all the facts from their end for Conclusions.. You all have been a help.. And Thanks Sincerely, Ric
    06-22-15 05:39 PM