Thats right, they ARE releasing. Its not even out yet, my city (Detroit) and state don't have it yet.
    Only in NFL cities...I guess the Lions don't qualify as an NFL team...JUST KIDDING!

Why are you so obsessed with LTE? No other company even has phones out for it yet.
    First off, I am not obsessed with LTE, mostly I am excited about the new phones that will work on it. It seems foolish for RIM to come out with a new Storm now and 3 months from now come out with a new LTE version. IF RIM HAS A LTE model developed, then why not release it now? We could use it on the current 3G network and then also on the 4G, when it is available.
    11-29-10 07:25 PM
    Thats right, they ARE releasing. Its not even out yet, my city (Detroit) and state don't have it yet.
    And that means exactly what? Detroit isn't getting LTE, so manufacturers should ignore the other 35 + cities and 100 million + subscriber footprint that VZW has announced? That is just ignorant. And BTW Detroit is out because the 700 mhz spectrum is used by a Canadian TV station and VZW can't interfere with that just yet.

If you haven't noticed, BB is never a company to jump the gun on such technology, it often hurts to be the first company to do so. And not only that, RIM is a minimalist.
    Even Apple didn't release a phone with 3G speed or 3G HSPA speeds right away. They waited.
    But HTC, Motorola, and LG aren't waiting. As Howarmart said, there will be Android touchscreens on VZW that are LTE in Q1 2011. So if the Storm 3 is to be competitive it needs to be LTE. And RIM isn't that far off. The Storm 1 was one of the first EV DO Rev A devices on VZW. So it the Storm has been something RIM is trying to push the envelop a bit with. Sure Curves or Bolds don't really need the faster networks. They are basically just low cost, dependable messaging solutions. Not Internet/media devices.

Rim predominately and Apply only make GSM phones. So while Verizon, which is a CDMA network, is just switching to LTE which is a GSM technology. It would be an awkward trial by error. Yes some of Rims world phones could fall back onto the CDMA 3G network (Storm,/96xx Bold, a pearl device prolly, and the style) and I think thats it.
    Huh? RIM and VZW have been partners a long time and RIM makes a lot of CDMA BB's. Sure GSM is more prevalent world wide, but that has exaclty 0 to do with LTE. of course any LTE device on VZW will also support CDMA since LTE won't be as wide spread for several years. Just like many devices today have to support HSPA, Edge, or '3G' Service. And I would dare say that RIM has enough experience writing radio stacks that to refer to them writing an LTE/CDMA compatible radio as "Trial and Error" would get you a schoolyard beat down in waterloo.

Think about it this way, what if you were some kids making money taking care of your neighbors lawns, you did 50 lawns in a year, and now its snowing. But over 90% of your customers have snow blowers. Would it be a good investment to start buying salt, and shovels and whatever. When you won't be making money off of it, since no one really needs your help?

LTE can still run on 3G. Until LTE is fully deployed, why would phone makers rush to make phones for it? Look at those sprint phones, it cost 10 extra a month for the consumer, just to be using the data, you don't even have to be in a '4G' area.

Why are you so obsessed with LTE? No other company even has phones out for it yet.
    Look, I am not obsessed with LTE. And there are live LTE networks around teh world, so there are devices for it. There is no LTE implementation Live yet in NA so no, there aren't any LTE devices yet. But that doesn't mean that ones are not in test and ready for a Q1 go live.

I just don't get why some people were so down on this. First, everyone was saying VZW would never be ready in 2010. I happen to know the project manager for the LTE implementation who Managed the eastern half of the US. So i knew from him that it was coming and would hit late this year. Also VZW was really transparent about this and several times announced the time lines. And now this time next week it will be live. So they made the time lines they announced...

Now everyone keeps saying that the devices can't be coming in early 2011, and why would manufacturers bother? Yet Again VZW has stated that they will Announce the smartphones at CES and have 5 in market by May 2011. RIM has been listed as a manufacturer to have an LTE device in market by 2011. All Rumors about the S3, even from a year ago have said it would support LTE. Since VZW originally commissioned the Storm line, and the 3rd iteration would be due in Q4 2010, when VZW had planned to launch their LTE network, it makes perfect sense that VZW worked with RIM to make the device LTE capable.

And your point about LTE can run 3g makes no sense. Not sure what you mean. The devices will be backward compatible, yes. Is that what you mean?

Trust me Crackcookie - There will be several LTE capable smartphones running on VZW within the next few months. RIM has been very quiet about teh S3, but I think it will be 1 and will be there by May June at the latest.

Now just need to wok on getting that TV station off the air so they can turn up LTE in Detroit.
    11-29-10 09:47 PM
    And that means exactly what? Detroit isn't getting LTE, so manufacturers should ignore the other 35 + cities and 100 million + subscriber footprint that VZW has announced? That is just ignorant. And BTW Detroit is out because the 700 mhz spectrum is used by a Canadian TV station and VZW can't interfere with that just yet.

But HTC, Motorola, and LG aren't waiting. As Howarmart said, there will be Android touchscreens on VZW that are LTE in Q1 2011. So if the Storm 3 is to be competitive it needs to be LTE. And RIM isn't that far off. The Storm 1 was one of the first EV DO Rev A devices on VZW. So it the Storm has been something RIM is trying to push the envelop a bit with. Sure Curves or Bolds don't really need the faster networks. They are basically just low cost, dependable messaging solutions. Not Internet/media devices.

Huh? RIM and VZW have been partners a long time and RIM makes a lot of CDMA BB's. Sure GSM is more prevalent world wide, but that has exaclty 0 to do with LTE. of course any LTE device on VZW will also support CDMA since LTE won't be as wide spread for several years. Just like many devices today have to support HSPA, Edge, or '3G' Service. And I would dare say that RIM has enough experience writing radio stacks that to refer to them writing an LTE/CDMA compatible radio as "Trial and Error" would get you a schoolyard beat down in waterloo.

Look, I am not obsessed with LTE. And there are live LTE networks around teh world, so there are devices for it. There is no LTE implementation Live yet in NA so no, there aren't any LTE devices yet. But that doesn't mean that ones are not in test and ready for a Q1 go live.

I just don't get why some people were so down on this. First, everyone was saying VZW would never be ready in 2010. I happen to know the project manager for the LTE implementation who Managed the eastern half of the US. So i knew from him that it was coming and would hit late this year. Also VZW was really transparent about this and several times announced the time lines. And now this time next week it will be live. So they made the time lines they announced...

Now everyone keeps saying that the devices can't be coming in early 2011, and why would manufacturers bother? Yet Again VZW has stated that they will Announce the smartphones at CES and have 5 in market by May 2011. RIM has been listed as a manufacturer to have an LTE device in market by 2011. All Rumors about the S3, even from a year ago have said it would support LTE. Since VZW originally commissioned the Storm line, and the 3rd iteration would be due in Q4 2010, when VZW had planned to launch their LTE network, it makes perfect sense that VZW worked with RIM to make the device LTE capable.

And your point about LTE can run 3g makes no sense. Not sure what you mean. The devices will be backward compatible, yes. Is that what you mean?

Trust me Crackcookie - There will be several LTE capable smartphones running on VZW within the next few months. RIM has been very quiet about teh S3, but I think it will be 1 and will be there by May June at the latest.

Now just need to wok on getting that TV station off the air so they can turn up LTE in Detroit.
    Im no good at quoting so Ill do it this way.

Im not saying LTE isn't the future. Im saying, I don't think it would be in RIM's best interest to release LTE phones right away, I think its best they perfect them. Everyone remembers the storm 1 fiasco, how Verizon pretty much rushed the storm. Do you really want another rushed phone?

No offense, but I have seen the 4G phones out now, and meh. They are nothing special at all. I think that channel you are talking about is CBS.

Im not against tech, I love how Rim has been competitive with the playbooks specs, and I would like them to push the LTE envelope because ATT will have it soon enough or maybe not soon at all. Either way, I think they are being responsible by waiting, and not just jumping on LTE because it is out.

I say, release to us the playbook and the storm 3 that doesn't suck. Do stuff, do it right. I don't see RIM getting it right. Also, with their data compression/slow down, will their LTE phones run fluidly?
    11-29-10 11:47 PM
    Im no good at quoting so Ill do it this way.

Im not saying LTE isn't the future. Im saying, I don't think it would be in RIM's best interest to release LTE phones right away, I think its best they perfect them. Everyone remembers the storm 1 fiasco, how Verizon pretty much rushed the storm. Do you really want another rushed phone?

No offense, but I have seen the 4G phones out now, and meh. They are nothing special at all. I think that channel you are talking about is CBS.

Im not against tech, I love how Rim has been competitive with the playbooks specs, and I would like them to push the LTE envelope because ATT will have it soon enough or maybe not soon at all. Either way, I think they are being responsible by waiting, and not just jumping on LTE because it is out.

I say, release to us the playbook and the storm 3 that doesn't suck. Do stuff, do it right. I don't see RIM getting it right. Also, with their data compression/slow down, will their LTE phones run fluidly?
    Its not the 4G that really makes a big deal on the phone. All 4G will do is make the web experience faster and allow things like video calling or streaming tv and movies much better. The Evo and Epic are still Android 2.2 devices at their core. No different than the X or the Incredible, which are 3G. I agree that RIM has to make a device that 100% fluid and solid. But the competition already has that. So to put a really solid 3G Storm 3 on a Shelf next to a really Solid Android device that is 4G will be a sales nightmare, and the blogs will light up with how behind RIM still is.

The Storm 3 has to be firing on all cylinders! Speed, Stability, Display, Memory, Apps, design, and then bring RIM's Push tech and Security. Then you have a winner.
    11-30-10 04:52 AM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/verizo...-details-dec-1

So we will all know a lot more tomorrow...
    11-30-10 08:54 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD