[QUOTE=raph_ryo;10047082]

Try doing it with one hand while driving or walking

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    Use the 'i' and 'o' buttons for zooming...

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 01:46 PM
    I wasn't the one scoffing at one handed use. So I replied. And it's a waste of money to include those devices. It could have been spent on other things.
    I think scoffing at "one handed pinch-to-zoom" is legitimate in the context of this thread, but it could be done more diplomatically.

With all due respect: you're stuck in an "it's all about my personal tastes and requirements" when this whole topic is about what is best for BlackBerry not for you personally: it has been reiterated repeatedly that the premise is that BB10 devices would both be offered in full slab format without Belt, and QWERTY devices possibly both WITH and WITHOUT belt, and your user experience would not be impacted negatively (maybe you're not convinced) but you absolutely seem to be unable to resist insinuating that those that don't prefer or "cope with" the full touch screen format are "too small handed" or whatever... no one is saying that it's WRONG to like a full touch screen device, especially if you don't miss the functionality that is DEMONSTRABLY more efficient with a trackpad. Standing by the assertion that "small handed people" are at fault because awkward one handed pinch to zoom is "fine" (which is an assertion that borders on insincere trolling in my opinion) then I don't know what else to say to you besides "I hope you like pointless internet discussion forum arguments because you're all set for a lifetime of it."
    Bbnivende and clickitykeys like this.
    02-25-14 02:37 PM
    Absolutely ridiculous decision for the business to make, it's not progressive at all, just regressive pandering to big business CEO's missing their old school trackpad.

The press will laugh at the device when it gets released, they'll immediately compare it to prior legacy devices.

I'm lucky enough to have a Z30 given to me by BlackBerry UK as a 'seeder' device and for me it's the best device they've ever produced for so many reasons. The return of a 'belt' smacks of the stupid narrow minded decisions that almost brought BlackBerry to the brink of destruction !
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-25-14 03:04 PM
    For me I just don't think it is needed on a bb10 device. I think it takes away from the sleek way the os works. But then again I am a Z30 guy.

Mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735/ Mike Garson Photography - C00471EA8
    02-25-14 03:06 PM

Sometimes you have to give some of your customers what they want, no matter how inelegant it seems. However, I wouldn't make it a long-term strategy. You'll end up being out-innovated.
    02-25-14 03:11 PM
    I think scoffing at "one handed pinch-to-zoom" is legitimate in the context of this thread, but it could be done more diplomatically.

With all due respect: you're stuck in an "it's all about my personal tastes and requirements" when this whole topic is about what is best for BlackBerry not for you personally: it has been reiterated repeatedly that the premise is that BB10 devices would both be offered in full slab format without Belt, and QWERTY devices possibly both WITH and WITHOUT belt, and your user experience would not be impacted negatively (maybe you're not convinced) but you absolutely seem to be unable to resist insinuating that those that don't prefer or "cope with" the full touch screen format are "too small handed" or whatever... no one is saying that it's WRONG to like a full touch screen device, especially if you don't miss the functionality that is DEMONSTRABLY more efficient with a trackpad. Standing by the assertion that "small handed people" are at fault because awkward one handed pinch to zoom is "fine" (which is an assertion that borders on insincere trolling in my opinion) then I don't know what else to say to you besides "I hope you like pointless internet discussion forum arguments because you're all set for a lifetime of it."

I don't think bringing back the track pad is good for BlackBerry. I could care less. I have a windows phone an android and a z10. I switch between them all the time. I think from a business perspective it's stupid of them to do so. I don't care about my experience. I just think what can be done with a Trackpad can now be done without one. That kind of hardware has been made pointless with the introduction of BB10. Bring back the old stuff. As Blaze said, it's more wood to feed the BlackBerry is backwards and dying fire. You say I seem unable to be open to the belt and such, to you I say you seem unopened and unwilling to use a blackberry without one. Otherwise it's not as good and you can't use it as well as if it had a button for you touch. If pinch to zoom is your main reason for not wanting to move to a full touch phone without a button then that's your prerogative. This discussion should be closed. You want one. You'll get one. I don't think they should have made one, they did anyways. I don't control BlackBerry I just think it was stupid. The end.

Posted via my beautiful Z10
    02-25-14 03:14 PM
    http://asset2.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d...01_620x443.jpg

Sometimes you have to give some of your customers what they want, no matter how inelegant it seems. However, I wouldn't make it a long-term strategy. You'll end up being out-innovated.
    So with BB10 are those people getting the equivalent of an iPhone with a pkb? Why would anyone want an iPhone add on kb when they can buy a bb with one today? Somehow I don't think the people who will by the iPhone add on will buy a BB10 phone with a belt.

You're right about the long term.
    02-25-14 03:35 PM
    Blackberry bringing back the belt is like Apple making an iPhone with a keyboard - there are plenty of people that would welcome it but the platform would suffer in the long run. Blackberry's miniscule market share is already fragmented between BBOS and BB10. Blackberry needs to decide whether BB10 is a gesture-based touch screen UI or a keyboard-based trackpad/physical button UI. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of problems with inconsistency among apps. The last thing that Blackberry needs is to make things more difficult for developers. It makes it seem like Blackberry is floundering around.
    02-25-14 06:03 PM
    Absolutely ridiculous decision for the business to make, it's not progressive at all, just regressive pandering to big business CEO's missing their old school trackpad.

The press will laugh at the device when it gets released, they'll immediately compare it to prior legacy devices.

I'm lucky enough to have a Z30 given to me by BlackBerry UK as a 'seeder' device and for me it's the best device they've ever produced for so many reasons. The return of a 'belt' smacks of the stupid narrow minded decisions that almost brought BlackBerry to the brink of destruction !
    Something tells me that CEO's might want the better security that BlackBerry offers but most could give a rat's *** whether or not an employee uses a Q10 or a Z10.

Sure the Q20 will be better than the Q10 because it has a trackpad and a bigger screen. The Q20 is still not the answer though - at least not for this Non CEO. The trackpad is only necessary because the screen is too small.

I really think that Enterprise users are just like regular consumers - they would very happy with thinner, lighter, better screened, smaller bezeled , better camera Z30 replacement.

So why a Q20 ? well why not. The Q10 is not selling very well any more. The early adopters bought and that was that.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-25-14 at 06:47 PM.
    02-25-14 06:31 PM
    [QUOTE=coldRooster;10051974]

Like I and others have stated. If you have big hands, it's possible. If you're incapable if doing it one handed, its not my problem you have tiny hands. Also, double tap will zoom too.

Posted via my beautiful Z10
    I for one have pretty darn big hands. And that's why I want a trackpad. I can pinch-to-zoom one handed. But even with the circle up, I have a devil of a time getting that little bit of text in the corner.

I don't understand why people think that abjuring one entire human sense (tactile) is a good UI idea.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    02-25-14 06:54 PM
    [QUOTE=coldRooster;10052184]

First of all, you don't need to be a *****. Second of all, if you like your Trackpad there are phones with them on there.
    There are no phones with trackpads now that have modern browsers. But now, maybe there will be! Boo yah!
    02-25-14 07:01 PM
    How does a track pad work on a BB10 device. Does it only select text does it have swipe up.

Comes down to screen size has become important, and the uses of those buttons are already well implemented. Why spend more RnD

Steps backwards not forward imo

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 07:12 PM
    "Gesture-based" != touchscreen. I'm not terribly enamoured of touchscreens, but I can understand aspects of the appeal intellectually, at least. (As someone who owns two touchscreen devices.) But as far as I can tell, neither iPhone nor Android (haven't tried WP much) have attempted to make "gesture-based" into a dogma the way BB has with BB10. After having a Q10 since the summer, I'm forced to conclude that it doesn't work well as a *dogma*. *Some* things are fine as gestures. Pinch-to-zoom is a very natural gesture that various platforms have adopted.

But not everything. To make text selection even remotely acceptable, a whole lot of engineering has to go into replicating the solution to an already-solved problem. That's not a sign of technological advance. That's the sign of dogma in action.

Tell that to Apple, Android, and Microsoft. They seem to be doing pretty well with it. Besides, Minortity Report, which I guess your referring to is a 10 year old movie. Before iOS, Android, and WP's time.. Guess RIM missed it. Too bad. Rock on 1% market share!
    xanadome likes this.
    02-25-14 07:13 PM
    Think about what you're saying here...

BlackBerry responds to "big business CEOs" who are missing their trackpad by offering up a phone with a trackpad and you think that's a bad thing?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-25-14 07:15 PM
    Who are these big business CEO's who miss their trackpad ? I will have to check on Snopes.
    02-25-14 07:18 PM
    Think about what you're saying here...

BlackBerry responds to "big business CEOs" who are missing their trackpad by offering up a phone with a trackpad and you think that's a bad thing?
    Funny all the CEO's and Cabinet level officials I hear about are wondering why they can't use Android or iPhone, neither of which have trackpads.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 07:43 PM
    What headlines? Stock gone up.

Aka S.Jizzle Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141
    02-25-14 08:14 PM
    Trackpad = going backwards.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:19 PM
    Why the Trackpad (Belt) hate?-img_20140225_222548.jpg

Ppl can't live without the Belt... looks like a 9900 sighting.... just seen this on sports net... bringing back the track pad won't be so bad..i don't care for it because I'll be buying the Z series...

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 09:30 PM
    Let's just end this right here the belt is here. There's no going back, even if I don't lime it I ain't buying it I much prefer a Z model. As long as they make me a OVER POWERED Z model I'm a paying customer.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-25-14 09:49 PM
    ...some snipped out...

I agree with you entirely on the content of this post... I love my Z30 but I'd love a Belted Slider WAY MORE. I'm not who I'm trying to sell to because I'm already a BB10 user, take it or leave it, Belted or Beltless... but for BlackBerry to grow, they can't leave the BBOS users behind, and a Belted device is UNIQUE and a significant market differentiator akin to the Galaxy Note 3: not for everyone, but Samsung sold 20 million "Note" devices... THAT'S JUST THE NOTE! 4 times more than BB10 on some freakishly huge thing with a WRITING STICK for heaven's sake (most people just want the huge screen, but there it is).

The Note is a unique offering and BlackBerry has PATENTS they can base their unique offerings on, and a few of them are tied up in the BELT and keyboards (ever wonder why the first Nexus phone had a trackball instead of a Trackpad, when the Ball gets human skin all gummed up in it? ech.)

I do believe if being a full touchscreen was a significant factor for BB10's success, BB10 would be a success, because the Z30 exists and it's excellent. "People want touchscreens" might be true on the "macro" level i.e. among the hundreds of millions of users out there, but BlackBerry is remaking itself into a niche product company, and you can't do "niche" properly just by being like everyone else but less so (which is what BB10 appears to be to most of the "market", consumer and enterprise alike.)
    I like your style dude. You make a lot of sense! I'm all for options too. How can BlackBerry and Chen be wrong about this? There are millions of BB users out there who love their belted keyboards, no need to offend or confuse them. Give them what they like, and are familiar with and add BB10 technology to help them become even more productive after some learning curve. I see what you are saying as a Win Win situation. After all BlackBerry already has these customers, it makes perfect sense to offer them something they can be excited about proud to continue using (from the point of view of BlackBerry rule mentality that is still out there for some of us). Knowing full well they can continue being productive while minimizing (a bonus) the learning curve as an added comfort and incentive.
    02-25-14 10:02 PM
    I still miss the ability to place the cursor where I want like the good old trackpad could do. But I believe we DONT need to bring it back, all that blackberry needs to do is giving us possibility to use the Vol up and Vol down keys to help our fat fingers placing the cursor.

All we need is to the text and if for some reason we miss the spot the Vol up and Vol down keys will assure we place the cursor in the right place.

Nothing is more easier than this, I hope someone can bring this to them...
    02-25-14 10:04 PM
    lots and lots and lots of people disagree with you and thankfully some work for BlackBerry.

did you miss the part where the media has laughed so hard at BlackBerry for two solid years that there is a serious and dangerous urine shortage at BGR, Engadget, C|Net er. al.? they are concerned that they have peed their pants laughing at BlackBerry so much that they can't pee any more, so what will they do when Microsoft releases Windows 8.2.

It's time for BlackBerry and BlackBerry fans to stop giving a sheet what these tools that write blogs say. They don't know anything except what they can get from their "sources": no insight, no nuance, and no respect.

Posted via CB10
    Eupathic Impulse likes this.
    02-25-14 10:20 PM
    if you don't want buttons, don't buy it.

already verified that the physical button/belt design phones will not be the only ones BB produces from here on out...

personally it's not for me, but I never thought they were "going back" to making these exclusively... they are just expanding by bringing one of the features people liked to the new OS... while still moving forward in the "high-end" category, without buttons...

now it's just a matter of; if it brings any additional customers over to BB10, which also means buying a new device, it's a win.. no fan of BlackBerry should complain about that.

everyone can relax, and just get the one that you want.
    02-25-14 11:54 PM
    Here is my question, why have it at all-Track pad, just asking? Whats the difference with one?
    02-26-14 12:18 AM
340 ... 1011121314