All of them are low end phones, they aren't "sexy" phones, they are ugly and the most of them have the typical wide keyboard and you have to turn your phone right 90degrees to use its keyboard.

Any brand has invested to a mid-high end device, only BB
    Again, Motorola Droid. These were flagship phones on Verizon. And none of them have hardware keyboards anymore, because it's not a sustainable market.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-07-16 08:04 AM
    Again, Motorola Droid. These were flagship phones on Verizon. And none of them have hardware keyboards anymore, because it's not a sustainable market.
    I remember when the made the switch and dropped the slide out keyboard from the Droid... lot's of folks were complaining. But Motorola never looked back! Sometime a small minority can make a lot of noise, but manufactures tend to look at numbers.
    06-07-16 08:23 AM
    My niece and two friends had the Droid. Minority buyers see their phones go away.
    06-07-16 09:17 AM
    Same reason why we don't send letters anymore.

A small portion of the population may still love communicating through letters, and they may have great reasons for that, but there is a better way to communicate now.

Is PKB better? For some, the answer is still a yes. But for majority of tthe population, it's a moot point now... yeah it's better in some ways but would I trade my screen real state or my battery life or my device build quality or my front facing camera or pay a premium for it?

Even for corporation, when younger generations who have never used PKB device become the majority of the work force, and then majority among the decision makers, guess what will happen then?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-07-16 09:31 AM
    Check this out, OP.

http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_16811.html

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    06-07-16 09:46 AM
    PKB isn't selling because of bad marketing, and bad blackberry's fame, but even being a very small market, there is a market for PKB, at least as an optional accesory

Posted via CB10
    PKB's don't sell because they are outdated! The market has moved beyond the technology. It has nothing to do with marketing or BB. BB has become irrelevant in the device industry. People just don'.t want PKB's
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-07-16 11:58 AM
    Because Samsung & Apple are selling all the glass slab devices they can produce? Why would they legitimize an alternative technology by challenging the unmatched master of that technology?

Ford once sold all of the Model Ts he could produce. All painted black. Concluding that "the consumer" wouldn't consider any other color for their cars, based on T's market success, would be astoundingly myopic. (a myopia that early GM ultimately capitalized on)

Concluding that "the consumer" wouldn't consider pkb, based on SamApple's slab market success, is equally myopic. IMO.

Has BB EVER returned legitimate profit on ANY of its glass only devices? Things are obviously far, far more complex than JUST pkb vs vkb. Or Black versus Blue paint... Lol.
    Have they turned any profit from resent PKB phones? Maybe it's the name.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-07-16 12:32 PM
    Because Samsung & Apple are selling all the glass slab devices they can produce? Why would they legitimize an alternative technology by challenging the unmatched master of that technology?

Ford once sold all of the Model Ts he could produce. All painted black. Concluding that "the consumer" wouldn't consider any other color for their cars, based on T's market success, would be astoundingly myopic. (a myopia that early GM ultimately capitalized on)

Concluding that "the consumer" wouldn't consider pkb, based on SamApple's slab market success, is equally myopic. IMO.

Has BB EVER returned legitimate profit on ANY of its glass only devices? Things are obviously far, far more complex than JUST pkb vs vkb. Or Black versus Blue paint... Lol.
    File this under "Tortured Logic".

This would be a valid comparison if multicolor cars had once thrived, to be beaten by all black Model T's.

The reality is that we once had to use physical keyboards. The near totality of users fled to more modern interfaces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

The simplest answer to the question is "Why doesn't anyone make a physical keyboard phone" is "No company believes it will give them an edge".
    kbz1960 and TGR1 like this.
    06-07-16 02:17 PM
    Anyone knows why there isn't any android with keyboard? There are thousands of brands, chinese imitations, but there isn't any one with physical keyboard.

Any brand wants the blackberry's piece of cake?

I can't understand it.

Posted via CB10
    BB's piece of cake is puny and unprofitable, to a point where nobody is interested.

In the early days of Android many Androids had slideout keyboards, from the Moto Milestone, HTC Desire Z, SE Xperia Pro etc.... These models didn't sell as well as their slimmer, VKB counterparts, and in 2012 we began seeing a lot less PKB Androids.

From 2012, focus shifted from PKB to larger high density displays, better Cameras, Swype VKBs, slimmer build and 4G.
    06-07-16 03:00 PM
    My niece and two friends had the Droid. Minority buyers see their phones go away.
    Incorrect they are not going away I have the Droid Turbo 2 wireless charging ,64 gig internal 128 gig sd card. Phone is not rootable built like a tank very high quality Huge internal battery. Running Marshmallow on Verizon. 21 meg camera. I use it for international travel just swap out the sim for a local one. Look at the specs of the phone it blows Blackberry away. Plus Lenovo owns Motorola now so they are not going anywhere.
    06-07-16 03:45 PM
    Incorrect they are not going away I have the Droid Turbo 2 wireless charging ,64 gig internal 128 gig sd card. Phone is not rootable built like a tank very high quality Huge internal battery. Running Marshmallow on Verizon. 21 meg camera. I use it for international travel just swap out the sim for a local one. Look at the specs of the phone it blows Blackberry away. Plus Lenovo owns Motorola now so they are not going anywhere.
    Does it have a keyboard? My niece had a keyboard Droid like 5 years ago... that is the phone that went away!
    Ronindan likes this.
    06-07-16 04:04 PM
    And it doesn't have a hardware keyboard, so on the subject of this thread, we can conclude…
    06-07-16 04:05 PM
    And it doesn't have a hardware keyboard, so on the subject of this thread, we can conclude…
    ...that reading comprehension is for the birds.
    06-07-16 04:11 PM
    ...that reading comprehension is for the birds.
    Chirp.
    06-07-16 04:15 PM
    Wow. That was entertaining!
    Ronindan likes this.
    06-07-16 04:39 PM
    Physical keyboards aren't popular anymore.

There is an android with a keyboard, the Priv, but it's not selling particularly well, proving that pkbs aren't popular.

Why build products that no one will buy?

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    Well, I would like to point out, that it was 800 euros in europe for HW that was outdated at the time of release with android, which you can get anywhere with less then half of the prize. I wouldnt really dare to suggest that the PKB is at fault here...
    06-07-16 04:46 PM
    Short answer: Many tried but failed because BlackBerry has the patent for the best PKB design. Also, BlackBerry took too long to enter the next phase of the smartphone market (iOS/Android era) so people left PKBs behind.
    06-07-16 05:57 PM
    Have they turned any profit from resent PKB phones? Maybe it's the name.
    Precisely. BB's name is mud. Storm led the way into that mud, IMO. BB's post BBOS failure has been mostly irrelevant to keyboard style, AFAIK.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-07-16 06:41 PM
    Flagship devices with all of their marketing muscle behind them, which is what I'm suggesting? Or low- and mid-tier phones made simply because Samsung makes just about any sort of phone because they can?
    Moto made many flagship phones with PKBs, with lots of Verizon marketing muscle behind them. They were outsold by all-touch models by at least 6:1, which is why Moto phased them out.

Samsung hasn't made a flagship because their market research tells them that their customers don't want one - and they do a TON of market research.

Think about it this way: in 2007, 98% of smartphones sold (BB, Palm, WinPhone, and others) had PKBs. In 2015, less than 0.1% of smartphones sold had PKBs. Think about the epicness of those numbers. Even though the market grew a lot, and was much smaller in 2007, it still means a ton of people who used to own a PKB phone and understand what it can do for them still chose all-touch phones - and almost certainly chose all-touch phones multiple times across those 8 years. If the majority of the very people who previously owned and chose PKB phones now carry all-touch, and clearly the vast majority of everyone new to smartphones chose all-touch, then clearly people aren't clamoring for a PKB - even if YOU and a handful of others absolutely love them and can't live without them.

Even if Samsung made a flagship PKB phone with an AMAZING keyboard and marketed it heavily, what percentage could PKB phones hope to achieve? Being completely generous, perhaps 2%? IMO that's a big stretch, but even if it was 2%, it's really not worth doing at those numbers. Samsung is looking at things that appeal to 50+% of the market, not tiny niches.
    06-07-16 08:42 PM
    "Why is there no (other) Android with PKB?"

It's because OEMs have no imagination, that's why! Ok on a more serious note, it's due to lack of profitable demand, but I still think that others should take a dabble at physical keyboards.
    06-07-16 10:29 PM
    Why no PKB as accessories? Like typo keyboard for iphone but without copy BlackBerry one

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 06:59 AM
    Why no PKB as accessories? Like typo keyboard for iphone but without copy BlackBerry one

http://www.pcmag.com/media/images/41...ne.jpg?thumb=y

Posted via CB10
    Because there is not enough demand.
    TGR1 likes this.
    06-08-16 07:49 AM
    Perhaps another dimension is that we have become voracious media consumers. PKBs enable efficient text production, but most mobile-phone consumers want videos and games on demand wherever they are, 24/7. So the PKB market will most likely be a nieche market from here on. Why doesnt someone fill that nieche? Maybe someone has--- Blackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    v0id_walker and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-08-16 08:20 AM
    Short answer: Many tried but failed because BlackBerry has the patent for the best PKB design. Also, BlackBerry took too long to enter the next phase of the smartphone market (iOS/Android era) so people left PKBs behind.
    No they don't. There were great physical keyboards before and after Blackberry introduced their current design to the market. They have a patent on a specific design, but it doesn't prevent manufacturers from making a great physical keyboard phone if they wanted to.

I used the Nokia e73 below and the keyboard was awesome.

Laura Knotek and Q10Bold like this.
    06-08-16 08:40 AM

http://www.pcmag.com/media/images/41...ne.jpg?thumb=y

Posted via CB10
    Samsung introduced one last year. Remains to be seen if they keep making them for Galaxy.
    Why is there no (other) Android with PKB?-cw7wlck.jpg
    06-08-16 09:55 AM
154 1234 ...