Samsung introduced one last year. Remains to be seen if they keep making them for Galaxy.
    Attachment 401684
    Why is so ugly??? Not seems be in line with the galaxy's style, someone has it?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 11:26 AM
    Why is so ugly??? Not seems be in line with the galaxy's style, someone has it?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know that you can make a add-on hardware keyboard for a phone not designed for it and it look good. Don't know anyone that has it. They have come down in price alot : now $30 so it might be a cheap option for those who can't get used to vkb on their Galaxy and want to try this. The major downside of it is that it covers the fingerprint unlock.
    06-08-16 11:53 AM
    Short answer: Many tried but failed because BlackBerry has the patent for the best PKB design. Also, BlackBerry took too long to enter the next phase of the smartphone market (iOS/Android era) so people left PKBs behind.
    That is the biggest load of rubbish. There were so many different designs, there really wasn't any best. From Nokia E61, E90, N97 to HTC TouchPro, Desire Z etc...
    06-08-16 11:57 AM
    Short answer: Many tried but failed because BlackBerry has the patent for the best PKB design. Also, BlackBerry took too long to enter the next phase of the smartphone market (iOS/Android era) so people left PKBs behind.
    Motorola is exempt from BB's PKB patents (they were able to prove prior art after a lengthy court battle about 8 or 9 years ago). And they learned very quickly that despite being able to offer quality PKB's on smartphones, they simply didn't sell enough of them. Moto over the years have released some devices with very nice keyboards, but they simply didn't sell anywhere near the full touch counterparts.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-08-16 01:27 PM
    No they don't. There were great physical keyboards before and after Blackberry introduced their current design to the market. They have a patent on a specific design, but it doesn't prevent manufacturers from making a great physical keyboard phone if they wanted to.

I used the Nokia e73 below and the keyboard was awesome.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...3ec511cc57.jpg
    I had the E62 and E71. Nokia did have great keyboards.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-08-16 01:33 PM
    I think some forget the PDA of the 90's, preceded smartphones by a number of years with a number of different manufactures. Some of those like Microsoft, Palm and CASIO moved to smartphones well befroe BlackBerry was more than a pager with a keyboard. That doesn't mean BlackBerry didn't perfect the design, or at least create their own very functional keyboard. Just that there are plenty of keyboard designs that aren't "owned" by BlackBerry.

If there was a market for a PKB device, an OEM could make them... They don't make them, because there isn't enough of a market to support the level of sales that most OEM's want. Maybe if BlackBerry gets out of the market, someone else might try a new PKB...
    06-08-16 01:49 PM
    Other OEMs also could possibly want to avoid double typing lol.
    06-08-16 02:57 PM
    No they don't. There were great physical keyboards before and after Blackberry introduced their current design to the market. They have a patent on a specific design, but it doesn't prevent manufacturers from making a great physical keyboard phone if they wanted to.

I used the Nokia e73 below and the keyboard was awesome.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...3ec511cc57.jpg
    That is the biggest load of rubbish. There were so many different designs, there really wasn't any best. From Nokia E61, E90, N97 to HTC TouchPro, Desire Z etc...
    Motorola is exempt from BB's PKB patents (they were able to prove prior art after a lengthy court battle about 8 or 9 years ago). And they learned very quickly that despite being able to offer quality PKB's on smartphones, they simply didn't sell enough of them. Moto over the years have released some devices with very nice keyboards, but they simply didn't sell anywhere near the full touch counterparts.
    I guess you can call me bias but I've tried those devices and always but enter the Bold 9000 keyboard and it was a new era.
    06-08-16 06:55 PM
    One of the biggest myths in Tech is that there are large numbers of people clamoring for a Physical Keyboard. There are not. The numbers overwhelmingly prove there are not. Only the most die hard of die hard BlackBerry fans want one.

BlackBerry should have ditched the PKB on the Priv, and made the device half as slim. Just my two cents.
    06-08-16 07:10 PM
    One of the biggest myths in Tech is that there are large numbers of people clamoring for a Physical Keyboard. There are not. The numbers overwhelmingly prove there are not. Only the most die hard of die hard BlackBerry fans want one.

BlackBerry should have ditched the PKB on the Priv, and made the device half as slim. Just my two cents.
    I am not really a diehard fan of BB (yeah, right, I did own one in 2011) and now I have passport only because of the PKB and type-rediction.
    There is a certain market for PKB fans, I guess its not big and the people, who want a PKB are mostly IT people.(but its imposible now to get any reasonable HW + pkb, as passport is the last phone with reasobale specs and KB) Funnily though, most people I handed my device over for a short while were very happy with the KB, so I guess its apple's fault again, because everybody now wants an iphone-like-device. Also, somebody here had a point, that the phones without PKB are devices mostly for media-consumer market not work-ortiented people(for whom, the Q30 seems to be the best device there was).
    06-08-16 07:29 PM
    The Priv's keyboard isn't doing anything to help that reputation either. Its the poor man's version of the Blackberry keyboard.
    YES. If someone made a BlackBerry Torch that (1) ran the LATEST version of Android and (2) was reasonably priced/marketed, it'd sell.
    06-08-16 08:16 PM
    Anyone knows why there isn't any android with keyboard? There are thousands of brands, chinese imitations, but there isn't any one with physical keyboard.

Any brand wants the blackberry's piece of cake?

I can't understand it.

Posted via CB10
    Physical keyboards can be found next to floppy disks in the museum of technology.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-08-16 10:28 PM
    Physical keyboards can be found next to floppy disks in the museum of technology.
    OMG!!! We have a few boxes of floppy disks at work gathering dust!

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    06-08-16 10:31 PM
    OMG!!! We have a few boxes of floppy disks at work gathering dust!

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    I actually saw a floppy disk container for $0.50 at a yard sale a few days ago.

Now if you had a punch card reader, that would be really impressive.
    06-08-16 10:38 PM
    Samsung introduced one last year. Remains to be seen if they keep making them for Galaxy.
    Attachment 401684
    I'm considering picking up a GS7 and this keyboard - Knox + keyboard case seems like as good as a substitute for BlackBerry as it's possible to get. There are one or two decent reviews of the keyboard on YouTube, but I'd be really interested to hear if any long time BlackBerry users have tried one.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 3Dee; 06-09-16 at 03:44 AM.
    06-09-16 03:26 AM
    I am not really a diehard fan of BB (yeah, right, I did own one in 2011) and now I have passport only because of the PKB and type-rediction.
    There is a certain market for PKB fans, I guess its not big and the people, who want a PKB are mostly IT people.(but its imposible now to get any reasonable HW + pkb, as passport is the last phone with reasobale specs and KB) Funnily though, most people I handed my device over for a short while were very happy with the KB, so I guess its apple's fault again, because everybody now wants an iphone-like-device. Also, somebody here had a point, that the phones without PKB are devices mostly for media-consumer market not work-ortiented people(for whom, the Q30 seems to be the best device there was).
    Not the "tools not toys" argument again. It is bad enough that BB has bad marketing - but to actually believe it - is worse.
    06-09-16 06:36 AM
    Not the "tools not toys" argument again. It is bad enough that BB has bad marketing - but to actually believe it - is worse.
    You didn't read properly, did you? I didn't mention they toys, but obviously the standard 16:9 is a media form factor, isn't it?
    Franky, its not like I believe it, I use it that way. And actually, you may whine all you want, I did, and still do, own some android phones but google still didn't manage to do the calendar app as good as BB had(which I don't really get, but whatever), the work with emails in hub and PKB is flawless. (and yeah, I know those apps were ported to android 6 as well, no need to point out)
    No apps(I miss whatsapp, fb, some camera apps and proper google chat services), bad marketing killed it though.
    06-09-16 07:33 AM
    You didn't read properly, did you? I didn't mention they toys, but obviously the standard 16:9 is a media form factor, isn't it?
    Franky, its not like I believe it, I use it that way. And actually, you may whine all you want, I did, and still do, own some android phones but google still didn't manage to do the calendar app as good as BB had(which I don't really get, but whatever), the work with emails in hub and PKB is flawless. (and yeah, I know those apps were ported to android 6 as well, no need to point out)
    No apps(I miss whatsapp, fb, some camera apps and proper google chat services), bad marketing killed it though.
    lol like all those work issued iphones and Android are only used consuming media. the thing with touch screen phones that it is flexible. people watch videos in it.... but it is also useful in looking at charts, spreadsheet and reports.... work related stuff. but then again it might not appeal to 'work oriented people'...... just like you said.

tools not toys
    06-09-16 08:31 AM

In MY particular case it IS true. Marketing or not. Your opinion, or not. My Z30 stands ready for media consumption. That's literally ALL I use it for. That doesn't mean anyone else agrees. That's just a simple fact of MY particular use case. Imply I'm ignorant, backward, or any other condescending implication you can dream up but you cannot change the fact that I daily get most real WORK done on my PKB Classic & 9900.

I am NOT alone. MOST of BlackBerry's current userbase still uses PKB. I readily concede we are a minority of smartphone users but that doesn't inherently make pkb irrelevant. Like any niche product, some of us are willing to pay a premium for a GOOD 9900 patterned modern smartphone. Enough to sustain a niche? I don't know any more than YOU know.

I do know that some of us predicted toolbeltless Q10's failure and received "condescending implications" for our effort. Some of us predicted oversized Classic's failure and received "condescending implications" for our effort. Don't even get me started on Priv.

If you want to know why legacy users don't migrate, why not listen to what legacy users are saying? Instead of just assuming we're too "ignorant & backward" to know what we like. ??? Successful legacy migration MIGHT have provided enough critical mass to jump start BB10's ecosystem. BB arrogantly abandoned us like mutant curs. The rest is history.

Unfortunately, SOME of us have WORK to do. My work, today, will be done using my pkb 9900 and PassPort. Your work will be done using whatever is best for you. No two humans are identical and no single tool is best for ALL. A niche potential for an astute marketer. Unfortunately, that probably won't include BB.
    skstrials and JamesW_UK like this.
    06-09-16 09:15 AM

Floppy disks are pretty much useless, these days. Physical keyboards DO provide functionality VKB simply can't match. Yet. Speed dial by feel, sight unseen, with a still holstered or pocketed handset, for example. Floppies will disappear once floppy drives disappear. Physical Keyboards will disappear once fingers with nerves disappear. IMO.
    06-09-16 09:36 AM
    Remember the original iPhone's loud market entrance started it all. It was following the iPad revolution, and it was the new gadget you had to buy to prove you're cool. Past that point every other manufacturer followed suit and the sight of physical keys would instantaneously kick you out of fad.
    Had fashion not played a role I think we would've seen more of a mix today.
    06-09-16 01:26 PM
    Remember the original iPhone's loud market entrance started it all. It was following the iPad revolution, and it was the new gadget you had to buy to prove you're cool. Past that point every other manufacturer followed suit and the sight of physical keys would instantaneously kick you out of fad.
    If it makes you feel better to believe that large all touch screens are a fashion statement or a fad...

For me it's about how I use my phone, and they keyboard just isn't needed all that much. A virtual one meets my needs, and in fact I'm much more productive than I was with my old 9650. Now maybe on the newer PKB keyboard that have the flick to type option I'd be just as good. But I use mine to view other content way to much to give up the screen. Actually wanted to try the PRIV... but took to long to come to Verizon and it's still not in the list of available devices that my company puts out.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    06-09-16 01:50 PM
    lol like all those work issued iphones and Android are only used consuming media. the thing with touch screen phones that it is flexible. people watch videos in it.... but it is also useful in looking at charts, spreadsheet and reports.... work related stuff. but then again it might not appeal to 'work oriented people'...... just like you said.

tools not toys
    Exactly.

The modern all touch smartphone is very versatile thanks to the huge displays, and the apps that take advantage of the powerful hardware, be it Keyboard Apps, physical clip on keyboards, VR Headsets etc...
    06-09-16 02:20 PM
    Like the iPhone SE , I would love to see a Bold type Android with the same width as a 9900 or Q10.
    06-09-16 02:34 PM
    Yeah, 'it's the corporations, dude!' They're brainwashing the public into buying superior technology. . . by the billion$.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 03:33 PM
154 12345 ...