The form factor looks great. But I would need BT with multiple profiles like I have on the much larger Logitech K480 that I use. It can be paired with three devices simultaneously, with a dial to switch between them. I can use the same KB for my TV, Media PC and a phone/tablet.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Your mansion sounds AMAZING plus I’m thinking multi-storied man cave with all your Tiger or Gamecock memorabilia.......

:-D
    10-23-20 08:11 AM
    Your mansion sounds AMAZING plus I’m thinking multi-storied man cave with all your Tiger or Gamecock memorabilia.......

:-D
    LOL....or I live in a steam punk shack in the swamp with lots of old and homemade tech, CRT screens, and tube audiophile gear with Furman and Citadel memorabilia.

anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-23-20 08:32 AM
    LOL....or I live in a steam punk shack in the swamp with lots of old and homemade tech, CRT screens, and tube audiophile gear with Furman and Citadel memorabilia.

LMAO - it’s all good I suppose
    10-23-20 02:00 PM
    I now see a lot of Youtube ads for the "magic keyboard" for iPads. Clearly there's a market, else why would Apple bother with a keyboard to "laptop-ize" an iPad in 2020?
    10-26-20 08:10 AM
    I now see a lot of Youtube ads for the "magic keyboard" for iPads. Clearly there's a market, else why would Apple bother with a keyboard to "laptop-ize" an iPad in 2020?
    It seems that there is an inexplicable disdain for a keyboard on a smartphone, but it's all good if it's for a tablet. Go figure.
    10-26-20 12:12 PM
    It seems that there is an inexplicable disdain for a keyboard on a smartphone, but it's all good if it's for a tablet. Go figure.
    That's because millions of people can touch type on a full size keyboard, but they associate thumb typing with glass smartphones.

10-26-20 12:28 PM
    That's because millions of people can touch type on a full size keyboard, but they associate thumb typing with glass smartphones.

Bet you they also can do just fine on a thumb PKB too, but gotta have that giant display.
    10-26-20 01:55 PM
    Bet you they also can do just fine on a thumb PKB too, but gotta have that giant display.
    Not the point. Millions of people WANT to use a tablet like a laptop and will pay for a keyboard. Even if they could use a PKB on a phone, there's no evidence that they want to.

Do you really think there are millions of people currently typing on glass phones who want a keyboard attachment for their phone??

I can assure you that if people were asking for that in focus groups, Logitech and Apple would be making them.

Unless a PKB phone brings some unique functionality to the Android party that the KEY phones didn't (and I can't imagine what that would be) , we're not going to see a successful device for consumers. There just insufficient demand, IMO.

10-26-20 02:09 PM
    Not the point. Millions of people WANT to use a tablet like a laptop and will pay for a keyboard. Even if they could use a PKB on a phone, there's no evidence that they want to.

Do you really think there are millions of people currently typing on glass phones who want a keyboard attachment for their phone??

I can assure you that if people were asking for that in focus groups, Logitech and Apple would be making them.

Unless a PKB phone brings some unique functionality to the Android party that the KEY phones didn't (and I can't imagine what that would be) , we're not going to see a successful device for consumers. There just insufficient demand, IMO.

Meanwhile, if Apple did decide to make a PKB case for their phones, it would sell like hotcakes.

They could also include keyboard shortcuts to open apps without having to swipe around for them.
    10-26-20 02:13 PM
    Meanwhile, if Apple did decide to make a PKB case for their phones, it would sell like hotcakes.

They could also include keyboard shortcuts to open apps without having to swipe around for them.
    I don’t think Apple’s data supports your theory. For many years, Apple iPads didn’t have official PKB so only choice was third party licensed PKBs available. Recently, that’s changed but I believe a certain third party licensed volume minimum requirement for Apple to feel worthwhile.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    10-26-20 02:34 PM
    I don’t think Apple’s data supports your theory. For many years, Apple iPads didn’t have official PKB so only choice was third party licensed PKBs available. Recently, that’s changed but I believe a certain third party licensed volume minimum requirement for Apple to feel worthwhile.
    Apple never tried it so far, so I'll reserve judgement until the day they do, if ever... There's a much higher chance of it coming from a third party though.
    10-26-20 02:37 PM
    Apple never tried it so far, so I'll reserve judgement until the day they do, if ever... There's a much higher chance of it coming from a third party though.
    That’s my point as that’s Apple business model. Let third parties take all the risk while Apple collects the licensing revenue.
    10-26-20 02:41 PM
    I find it hard to understand why you think Apple wouldn't make one if they thought they could sell one. These guys kind of know a little something about what they're doing.

Do you honestly believe you're the only one with your finger on the pulse of the market? Apple spends tens of millions of dollars a year on this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by conite; 10-26-20 at 03:05 PM.
    10-26-20 02:50 PM
    I find it hard to understand why you think Apple wouldn't make one if they thought they could sell one. These guys kind of know a little something about what they're doing.

Do you honestly believe you're the only one with your finger on the pulse of the market? Apple spends tens of millions of dollars a year on this kind of stuff.
    Aside from Typo which got forced to shut down by BlackBerry over 5 years ago, what data do they have on this?
    10-26-20 03:07 PM
    Aside from Typo which got forced to shut down by BlackBerry over 5 years ago, what data do they have on this?
    Focus groups, polling, etc, etc.
    10-26-20 03:08 PM
    Samsung did, and gave up.

Using a keyboard on a tablet doesn't decrease the size of the display. and is easily discarded when not needed. I know the SES guy says his won't cover the display either, but I'm having a hard time seeing his one size fits all, won't cover the display, and won't be unbalanced, nor too bulky attachment.

On a phone.... just don't see the market that you do. Maybe in six months the SES guy helps us all to see what the market is for such a device.
    10-26-20 03:13 PM
    Focus groups, polling, etc, etc.
    What no gut feelings that can't be quantified?
    10-26-20 03:15 PM
    Most people I know who want to type on their phones are either very good on the VKB or use a normal size BT keyboard at their desks with a phone stand, the same keyboard they use for their tablets and docked laptops, if they have one.

It's fine that we're now talking about PKBs for phones, but as the OP, I just want to remind everyone that this thread is about a BlackBerry-style BT keyboard that DOES NOT attach to phones and that can be used for other devices.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-26-20 10:32 PM
    Most people I know who want to type on their phones are either very good on the VKB or use a normal size BT keyboard at their desks with a phone stand, the same keyboard they use for their tablets and docked laptops, if they have one.

It's fine that we're now talking about PKBs for phones, but as the OP, I just want to remind everyone that this thread is about a BlackBerry-style BT keyboard that DOES NOT attach to phones and that can be used for other devices.

The other option is using a stylus: such as the S Pen on Samsung Note line or some Galaxy Tab line devices, or the Apple Pencil with the iPad.

I just wrote this post with the S Pen on my Galaxy Tab S6 Lite.
    10-27-20 01:44 AM
    The other option is using a stylus: such as the S Pen on Samsung Note line or some Galaxy Tab line devices, or the Apple Pencil with the iPad.

I just wrote this post with the S Pen on my Galaxy Tab S6 Lite.
    A stylus won't really help me search for content on my TV and media server. I rely on my Logitech K480 BT keyboard for rapid text entry on multiple devices, and i'd like to replace it with a BB-style PKB.

I'm not looking for a way to enter text on my phone. I am very happy with my thumbs for that, either on a PKB or VKB.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-27-20 12:28 PM
45 12