I just got accepted to school and I now have a new email address provided by the school. I typed my email and password into my (personal Sprint) blackberry in the email setup wizard and I am now getting emails on my blackberry for the new school email. The problem is that it takes about 10 minutes between receiving an email in my inbox (checking it from my PC) and the email actually showing up on my blackberry. With my other email addresses, email shows up on my BB within a minute or so of the email being received in my inbox (once again comparing when the PC receives vs when the BB receives). Is this most likely a slow server issue with my school? I though BB email was pushed down to the phone so it should always be instantaneous once it is received.
    07-20-11 02:33 PM
    Pop email set up doesn't give you instant push, check if you can set your school email using imap settings instead, that will make it instant.
    Even though your email is 10 minutes delayed it is still push meaning your phone doesn't check for new emails, Rim's NOC does. Your PC probably checks for new emails every minute.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jeffh likes this.
    07-20-11 02:40 PM
    Is the school email POP3 or IMAP? If it is POP3, then the RIM servers check your mail using the POP3 mail protocol every 10-15 minutes, if there is any new mail picked up, this is then pushed out instantly to your device.

It is a limitation of the protocol (POP3), not a limitation of BIS.

IMAP email should be almost instant.
    jeffh likes this.
    07-20-11 02:41 PM
    Is it possible for the school to provide both POP3 and IMAP and automatically setting the phone up that it defaults to POP3?
    07-20-11 02:49 PM
    I was thinking about a simple way to answer the OP's question. While I was thinking, belfastdispatcher and lak611 just did it. Nice work, guys.
    07-20-11 02:53 PM
    Is it possible for the school to provide both POP3 and IMAP and automatically setting the phone up that it defaults to POP3?
    You would need to contact your school's IT department to find out if their email is able to use IMAP and if so, what the settings are.
    07-20-11 02:53 PM
    Hmm I checked my school's website and they have instructions for setting up mobile devices and it says to use IMAP. I went into my email settings and the phone is set up to use IMAP, is set on the correct Port listed by my school's IT department, and is also set to use SSL as mentioned on the schools IT webpage. Are there some other settings I'm missing?

Here is the settings they specify.
    http://www4.uwm.edu/pantherlinkinfo/...ile_setup.html
    07-20-11 02:55 PM
    Hmm I checked my school's website and they have instructions for setting up mobile devices and it says to use IMAP. I went into my email settings and the phone is set up to use IMAP, is set on the correct Port listed by my school's IT department, and is also set to use SSL as mentioned on the schools IT webpage. Are there some other settings I'm missing?

Here is the settings they specify.
    pantherLINK Help
    I find it strange the imap server starts with "mail" usually they start with "imap"
    07-20-11 03:02 PM
    You've discovered why BIS sucks, quite frankly. All it does it poll your inbox every 10-15 minutes (regardless of protocol), and push new messages to your phone. For certain E-Mail services they have a special relationship with (e.g. Gmail, maybe Yahoo), its more instant. Oh, and you're not going to see any server-side mail folders either. For the quality BlackBerry experience, you really need BES. And only corporate users normally get that.

If you don't like this, you have two options:
    1) Setup a blackberry.net (BIS-only) address, and configure your school mail account to copy/forward messages to it (and a few related tricks, you might find some websites talking about this)
    2) Use a standalone 3rd party E-Mail client, like LogicMail. (you won't really get network push, but at least you'll be able to check on-demand and see all your other IMAP folders.)

Disclaimer: I'm the author of LogicMail, and I started the project after having similar frustrations upon getting my first BlackBerry. (a 7105t)
    07-21-11 05:26 AM
    You've discovered why BIS sucks, quite frankly. All it does it poll your inbox every 10-15 minutes (regardless of protocol), and push new messages to your phone. For certain E-Mail services they have a special relationship with (e.g. Gmail, maybe Yahoo), its more instant. Oh, and you're not going to see any server-side mail folders either. For the quality BlackBerry experience, you really need BES. And only corporate users normally get that.

If you don't like this, you have two options:
    1) Setup a blackberry.net (BIS-only) address, and configure your school mail account to copy/forward messages to it (and a few related tricks, you might find some websites talking about this)
    2) Use a standalone 3rd party E-Mail client, like LogicMail. (you won't really get network push, but at least you'll be able to check on-demand and see all your other IMAP folders.)

Disclaimer: I'm the author of LogicMail, and I started the project after having similar frustrations upon getting my first BlackBerry. (a 7105t)
    So just to clarify, even with an IMAP server, my emails will only be pushed at 10-15 minute intervals? My other school email was/is almost instant, but it was a larger university and I wonder if there was something different going on there that made email come to the phone right away?
    07-21-11 09:58 AM
    So just to clarify, even with an IMAP server, my emails will only be pushed at 10-15 minute intervals? My other school email was/is almost instant, but it was a larger university and I wonder if there was something different going on there that made email come to the phone right away?
    I think your school email supplier has to support imap idle to get instant push, my work email supplied by 1and1.co.uk is instant when set up as imap. Clear as mud no?
    But make no mistake, even with the 15 minutes delay, the email is still push, it's Rim's server that does the pulling, not the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD