BB will exit the smartphone business in about 4 month, with their last device (Mercury) already having been announced, so it would be up to an OEM manufacturer to choose to license (and pay for) the technology. If no one does, you may never see the technology actually available in a device.
    What will this mean for further security updates? Will the DTEK60 get two year's worth or four months' worth?
    11-15-16 06:29 PM
    What will this mean for further security updates? Will the DTEK60 get two year's worth or four months' worth?
    That wont be affected.
    11-15-16 06:59 PM
    that would be a good question?
    11-15-16 06:59 PM
    Apple "says" they only add tech that is cutting edge; they don't partner and they don't go backwards. For example there is no expandable storage because to apple it's the floppy disk of the smart phone and cloud storage to them is the answer. They now don't have an ear bud port because it's archaic and reminiscent of a 80's walkman and wireless is the trend. Apple has a better chance of removing the sim port all together rather than adding a second one.
    11-15-16 07:29 PM
    That wont be affected.
    If BlackBerry were no longer making devices, what incentive would there be to keep updating the sold devices? There's no new device revenue to keep that up? I can see BlackBerry needing to meet contractual obligations, but we're not privy to any of those business contracts nor bound by that. For the consumer, what contract/understanding is there? Yes, Google makes Android manufacturers agree to two years of updates, but what if the manufacturer gets out of the game?

I have a Dell Venue 8 7000, which is a highly rated 8.4" tablet. It won't be getting any further updates beyond Lollipop. That decision by Dell was made about 5 months ago, when Dell dropped out from the Android tablet market. Some users speculate that the drop in support is due to Intel dropping support for the Atom processor, which powers the Venue 8 7000. So, it's not entirely on Dell, but it does raise the specter of losing updates once the manufacturer drops out.
    11-15-16 07:31 PM
    Because BB sells software for virtual SIM's lol. Why would they want to sell you a device with dual-SIM's when they can charge more for software? They literally bought another company to offer it.
    Not even available in Canada after buying the dual sim company like two years ago. Pretty lame for a Canadian software company. I asked and waited a month to get that answer.
    11-15-16 08:39 PM
    If you're looking to buy a new iphone the allure of a dual sim to take advantage of cheaper rates probably doesn't mean as much. Mercedes owners aren't always looking for the cheapest gas.
    It's the utility of having two lines, a business and a private line on ONE device that you carry. Not just for those prepaid penny pinchers that love a second line with cheap data or international call rates...

Sure, maybe the iPhone battery simply wouldn't cope... ;-P

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    11-16-16 01:36 AM
    It's the utility of having two lines, a business and a private line on ONE device that you carry. Not just for those prepaid penny pinchers that love a second line with cheap data or international call rates...

Sure, maybe the iPhone battery simply wouldn't cope... ;-P

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    Thats really an edge case. Most of users of dual sim don't fit that category, which is why its prevalent in devices with low price points.

Both Blackberry and Apple have their own e-sim solutions, tho I don't see either of them getting much traction with alot of carriers.
    11-16-16 05:13 PM
    Thats really an edge case. Most of users of dual sim don't fit that category, which is why its prevalent in devices with low price points.

Both Blackberry and Apple have their own e-sim solutions, tho I don't see either of them getting much traction with alot of carriers.
    Dual sim is also a great option for frequent travelling across borders. But it is indeed a niche option and probably have greater demand outside North America. Perhaps this is a feature you can expect from this Indonesian partner.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 11-16-16 at 08:21 PM.
    11-16-16 07:10 PM
    Dual sim is also a great option for frequent travelling across borders. But it is indeed a niche option and probably have greater demand outside North America. Perhaps this is a feature you can expect from this Indonesian partner.
    That feature is very popular there and since Blackberry is doing a TCL/DTEK60 type phone for that market (BB Android on existing Indonesian partner device) I'm sure dual sim will be available.
    11-17-16 06:12 PM
    That feature is very popular there and since Blackberry is doing a TCL/DTEK60 type phone for that market (BB Android on existing Indonesian partner device) I'm sure dual sim will be available.
    I suppose the lack of a battery compartment pretty much excludes the after-market solution that was offered for the Z10, and maybe Q10, that uses a ribbon cable, two SIM slots and an app to switch between the two SIM... (scroll halfway down for pics)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-one-903123/
    11-17-16 06:20 PM
    I suppose the lack of a battery compartment pretty much excludes the after-market solution that was offered for the Z10, and maybe Q10, that uses a ribbon cable, two SIM slots and an app to switch between the two SIM... (scroll halfway down for pics)

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-one-903123/
    Wow. You might as well sticky tape one phone to another lol
    11-17-16 06:37 PM
37 12