I have a question. If you have an unlocked BB10 device, why aren't the updates pushed directly from BlackBerry to the phone. Why one needs to put a SIM in order to get the update from that SIM's carrier?

Thanks!
    07-30-13 01:04 PM
    Without a SIM card in place you have no service, your device is not identified in any way to the carrier network. The carrier will only push their approved updates to it's subscribers. Without a SIM card in place, your phone does not exist as far as the carrier is concerned.

Whether the phone is locked or unlocked is of no consequence in this regard. It has to talk to SOME carrier network for an update to happen.
    FSeverino likes this.
    07-30-13 01:21 PM
    Why one needs to put a SIM in order to get the update from that SIM's carrier?

Thanks!
    The phones have gotten more complex than in the past so to ensure your phone works properly with your carrier, your carrier tests the OS against their network and when happy with it, makes it available.

For example, with the 9900 many of the newer OS would not get call audio on certain AT&T towers. Since these OS did not work on AT&T, AT&T did not distribute them and it took some time until there was a newer OS that worked on the AT&T network. I think you can also run into similar call quality or network connection problems when using OS versions on the OS10 phones not specifically released by your carrier.
    07-30-13 01:56 PM
    OK. If we look at Google phones, people can get updates to them directly from Google (e.g. Nexus phones). According to your reply, people can risk that with these updates, their phones might not work correctly with some carriers?
    07-30-13 02:27 PM
    OK. If we look at Google phones, people can get updates to them directly from Google (e.g. Nexus phones). According to your reply, people can risk that with these updates, their phones might not work correctly with some carriers?
    That is a completely different issue. What you are talking about with respect to Google is the manner in which the OS manufacturer delivers it's updates. BlackBerry relies on the carriers to test the OS, subsequent updates and once they pass muster deliver them to their subscribers. Google and I believe Android do not rely on the carriers.

I did not make any mention as to whether or not loading a non carrier release of an OS would or would not work on a device. And I didn't because that would be incorrect. I and a lot of folks here have loaded more non-carrier OSs than can be numbered.
    07-30-13 04:54 PM