Here's my situation: Almost all of my texting is to my son or my wife, both of whom have iPhones, as do I. We use iMessage, and it works very well for us. We can send text, pictures, documents, contacts, whatever, and we get "delivered" and "read" notification.

Now, like a lot of people, I downloaded BBM when it became available, but it has sat there unused ever since. I admit I don't know much about it. Can you tell me, given my usage scenario, if BBM offers me any advantages over iMessage? Is there any compelling reason I (and my wife and son) should be using it? Thanks in advance!
    I don't know how iMessage works but I'll tell you how I use BBM and why I love it. Me and my whole family created a BBM group, my mom, 4 siblings and myself. We chat every day even though we are half a country apart some of us. We use BBM groups because it's like a chat room, we can all chat together and post pictures and comment on them. It really does feel like I'm back home.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 10:56 PM
    What shared calendar? (Sorry, I'm not a part of any groups and just have BBMx)
    You have to be in a group. When you're in a group you have 4 options/boxes from the main screen. Chat, events, lists, and pictures... may have different names.

Chat:self explanatory. Group chat just like regular bbm minus the d and r (cuz it's a group)

Events: shared calendar, just like BlackBerry calendar, everyone can make apps. In the shared calendar. On BlackBerry phones, group appts. Show up in your native calendar. Don't know about other os's

Lists: make multiple lists. Can check off items when complete. Due dates and all that stuff.

Pictures: can add pictures to group, saves in bbm, nor your phone. And then everyone can comment on them if they want.

Much more to BBM than just chat when you use groups.

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BBM#25)
    11-10-13 11:01 PM
    I seem to recall iMessages having some difficulty with changing devices in the past. I'm pretty sure the problems included iMessages going to old devices even though they have been wiped, sold, and unlinked from your Apple ID. I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty upset if I found out that some stranger was getting all of my messages. I haven't heard anything about this in a while, so they might have fixed it.
    11-10-13 11:17 PM
    That sounds interesting. How are Voice and Video Chat different from FaceTime and Audio FaceTime?
    I've never used either of them before, so I'm not sure. All I know is that BBM Voice and Video is supposedly better quality, but I did hear that on this site so I don't know how accurate that is (the people who said it were some of the most fair and unbiased people though, so it might hold merit).

Edit: Oh, I know what makes it better: screen sharing. I'd forgotten about that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by chaz95; 11-10-13 at 11:52 PM.
    11-10-13 11:21 PM
    I use the the groups feature for family, the wife and I, and I have a work group that has made work/family coordination simple and more productive.

If anything, the group feature is the one thing you could try to see if you like it. All the people I have at work have really taken to it very quickly, and have really like the features. Some are starting to get their own family groups going as well.

The wife and I have started using the video chat now, and with the screen share option, it's awesome. (used it tonight for the grand kid playing in the snow) When BBM Video finally goes cross platform, I would say definitely give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 11:35 PM
    Why should we ask that.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-10-13 11:40 PM
    That sounds interesting. How are Voice and Video Chat different from FaceTime and Audio FaceTime?
    Just the same, except you'll be able to call all three platforms.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:27 AM
    Just the same, except you'll be able to call all three platforms.

Posted via CB10
    Plus screen sharing. Nobody else has that as far as I'm aware.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:41 AM
    iMessage works fine for us, and we aren't having any issues with it. It's not that I'm necessarily looking for something else, it's just that folks here have been praising BBM quite a bit, and I don't really know what it can do. I thought it might have some whiz-bang features that iMessage lacks.

I knew this was the right place to ask because, as someone said above, you guys give honest, non-fanboy answers. I appreciate that a lot. One of the reasons I'm here is because I don't know much about BlackBerry and I'm curious about what it can do. I've learned a lot already, and it's been very interesting. Thank you all very much for your answers!
    I find that BBM's advantage is mainly in its social media areas. You get to create a profile, update your status, share photos, etc.

But with your wife and son, I really don't see that being a benefit. Now if you had 30 friends from all over the country, globe, etc, especially if you rarely see them then BBM to me would be a great thing to have. Its design helps interactions. I know for me, I am a lot more chatty with my BBM contacts cause when I go into the app, I just select the updates list and I see their updates. Anything interesting pops up I say "hey, whats with the..." Its very engaging that way.
    11-11-13 07:51 AM
    Well, if it's not broken, why try to fix it? Based on what you've posted, I can't think of one. Last thing BBM needs is someone else complaining about issues- especially when you're using something already that works.
    EXACTLY what BL said
    11-11-13 07:53 AM
    About half my circle of friends use iPhone, while the other half use blackberries. We used email and sms before BBM went cross platform, but when everyone discovered groups it became the vehicle of choice for staying in touch. I don't see much advantage of I message over sms, tho.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:54 AM
    You really need to wait until the update of BBM brings Video and Voice calling I know you have Facetime but seriously and this is not a fan boy here BBM Video and Voice is so dam clear it's amazing I don't know how they do that but it eats Skype and FaceTime for breakfast. I've only had my BlackBerry for two months and I haven't put it down hardly ever.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:57 AM
    You don't have to. But it's a free app, which immediately means there's no reason not to.
    I mean you could just download it and decide for yourself.
    Because its free you see.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 08:07 AM
    It's worth a go for the groups alone. And I mean YOUR groups.

My atomic family has a group that contains an "emergency" items list. If we run out of an essential, we just unchecked it on the list. Instantly everyone knows we need it. Whoever happens to pick it up first re-checks the item, and everyone knows we're all good again.

A larger group for extended family makes event co-ordination a snap and sharing pictures files etc securely without having to worry about privacy policy changes of some social site is also a snap.

So I wouldn't say there is NO reason to try BBM.
    And it does the stuff iMessage does. And it's now cross platform. Just one friend gutting an android will make BBM a more convenient choice.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 08:12 AM
    I find that BBM's advantage is mainly in its social media areas. You get to create a profile, update your status, share photos, etc.

But with your wife and son, I really don't see that being a benefit. Now if you had 30 friends from all over the country, globe, etc, especially if you rarely see them then BBM to me would be a great thing to have. Its design helps interactions. I know for me, I am a lot more chatty with my BBM contacts cause when I go into the app, I just select the updates list and I see their updates. Anything interesting pops up I say "hey, whats with the..." Its very engaging that way.
    That sounds pretty neat. Like Facebook and iMessage rolled into one. I hope BlackBerry is able to advertise these features so people know about them.
    11-11-13 10:31 AM
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone, I really appreciate it. I can see some definite advantages of BBM if you have friends on different platforms, and if you text them a lot. Groups sounds pretty cool.

For my use, as others have said, it's probably a wash. I must be a real dinosaur in that I don't text my friends, just my immediate family.

One final question: Is BBM always going to be device-dependent? What I mean is that I use iMessage on my Mac when I'm at my desk because it's so much easier to type on a full-size keyboard. Then, when I'm away from my desk, I continue the conversation on my iPhone. The two are always in sync.

I know (or think I know) that BBM can't do that now because there's no desktop client, but is that a feature that's planned for the future, as far as you know?
    11-11-13 10:37 AM
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone, I really appreciate it. I can see some definite advantages of BBM if you have friends on different platforms, and if you text them a lot. Groups sounds pretty cool.

For my use, as others have said, it's probably a wash. I must be a real dinosaur in that I don't text my friends, just my immediate family.

One final question: Is BBM always going to be device-dependent? What I mean is that I use iMessage on my Mac when I'm at my desk because it's so much easier to type on a full-size keyboard. Then, when I'm away from my desk, I continue the conversation on my iPhone. The two are always in sync.

I know (or think I know) that BBM can't do that now because there's no desktop client, but is that a feature that's planned for the future, as far as you know?
    Personally I hope it remains device dependent. Much more secure that way. My phone is always with me and people won't be logging in to my bbm from another device.

There is talk of a desktop application. The one they showed off bridged off your phone, so it basically just controlled what was happening on your phone. You would have desktop control like you want, but your phone would have to be present. I would LOVE this!!

However, lots of people have been crying out for a standalone client. A mistake as far as I'm concerned, but with the masses asking for it, I wouldn't doubt we eventually see it. I just hope if we do we have the option to lock it down to our device if we choose to.

Really though, even if you don't use it to chat and text. Try it for the other options in group. You can use the calendar and lists and continue to use iMessage to text. They're not mutually exclusive. Enjoy the benefits of both.

11-11-13 10:46 AM
    Try it for the other options in group. You can use the calendar and lists and continue to use iMessage to text. They're not mutually exclusive. Enjoy the benefits of both.
    Are those group features and benefits available in BBM cross platform? Or just BBM native?
    11-11-13 11:39 AM
    [QUOTE=gogurt48;9515995]Here's my situation: Almost all of my texting is to my son or my wife, both of whom have iPhones, as do I. We use iMessage, and it works very well for us. We can send text, pictures, documents, contacts, whatever, and we get "delivered" and "read" notification.

Now, like a lot of people, I downloaded BBM when it became available, but it has sat there unused ever since. I admit I don't know much about it. Can you tell me, given my usage scenario, if BBM offers me any advantages over iMessage? Is there any compelling reason I (and my wife and son) should be using it? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE
    11-11-13 11:44 AM
    Just to add to the discussion about groups, we are a Z10, Q10, Q5 and. . . S4 family. Group BBM allows us to all communicate cross platform, share photos, etc. But what I really like is the Events option that when an event is created it is automatically saved in the native calendar app on the BlackBerrys. I'm not sure about the S4 because my boy deleted his calendar app.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:58 AM
    Are those group features and benefits available in BBM cross platform? Or just BBM native?
    Scratch that. Another member was kind enough to create a test group to help me discover the features. Appears to be a the same as native. Works pretty slick! One can even save events to their Android or iOS calendar. Perfect for group collaboration or busy families.

Now excuse me while I go grab my BlackBerry marketing bullwhip...
    anon(5624621), bradu1 and gebco like this.
    11-11-13 12:24 PM
    Scratch that. Another member was kind enough to create a test group to help me discover the features. Appears to be a the same as native. Works pretty slick! One can even save events to their Android or iOS calendar. Perfect for group collaboration or busy families.

Now excuse me while I go grab my BlackBerry marketing bullwhip...
    Nice isn't it?

:-)

11-11-13 02:25 PM
47 12