Because there are high demands for BB10
    02-10-13 05:22 AM
    Ordered my Z10 online in the UK via O2 on the day of launch and got it by 5:30pm the following day. Perhaps that might be an option if you're out at work and unable to get to a store.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-10-13 05:38 AM
    You also have to look at it like this. If there are on average 10 cell phone stores in a town, and they all order 10 phones, thats 100 per city. With BB's market share being down in the dumps, most figured that would be enough for the town. What no one expected was that it would be a hit. Blame that on the anti BB media campaign that has been going on for years.
    02-10-13 06:46 AM
    Does anyone really believe that BlackBerry would deliberately strangle supply and potentially sabotage sales in order to look good; in order to say they sold out? This launch is far too important for them to screw up and we've already seen the US carriers screw up the launch down there by playing games. BlackBerry can only ship what's been ordered, they cannot ship a single unit more and if Telus is only ordering 10 devices per store then that's all they'll get. Why does it always have to be a conspiracy with some people? Give me one really legitimate reason why BlackBerry would do anything other than what they're doing.
    vzinside, ctuffy and metz9444 like this.
    02-10-13 07:10 AM
    Most z10s went to large corporations and government first. This leaves little for consumers to find. The carriers underestimated consumer demand. If anyone is to be faulted, it is the carriers. Past experiences with the PB left a bad taste.

I hope this gets resolved soon with my z10 arriving this week as promised.
    02-10-13 07:16 AM
    The shortage isn't on BB's end, it's with the providers. They aren't going to order a bunch of phones that they don't think they can sell.
    ctuffy likes this.
    02-10-13 07:16 AM
    The shortage isn't on BB's end, it's with the providers. They aren't going to order a bunch of phones that they don't think they can sell.
    Bingo! It is the carriers who decide on the volume they would like to order, not BlackBerry/RIM. As Z10 becomes more popular, carriers are going to want more inventory. Carriers don't want to order too much for launch and be stuck with inventory if the device doesn't meet expectations, which has happened many times with RIM. The sell outs in Canada & UK are a step in the right direction for Blackerry/RIM. It shows that the device can sell beyond it's expectations. This will make carriers hungry, and if these carriers are American carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc) then the delay in the US market will look like a huge success!
    02-10-13 07:28 AM
    While some companies may manipulate stock of their product, Blackberry can't afford to.

Let's look at it from another perspective. Blackberry is fighting for it's life in terms of it's perception on the Stock Market. It reports March 28, 2013 and what number do you think analysts will be looking for? The number of BB 10 devices shipped and sold. They don't care that "Z10s are going for $1750 on eBay" (see http://www.bloomberg.com/video/how-much-is-a-blackberry-z10-going-for-on-ebay-~mMK634OQcWizHK7P_8LFg.html) unless they have a piece of the guy making that money. They care that Blackberry is shipping out devices and making money. They also care that what other analysts are saying doesn't occur; namely Blackberry doesn't pull a Palm but rather pulls a Volkswagen and makes it quite successfully (see http://seekingalpha.com/article/1154...-fight-goldman). Blackberry are not going to hold back stock to suppliers to make it look like they are in demand.

The carriers, on the other hand, have the ball in their court. I can;t wait for the day that Blackberry can say "Screw you" and sell them centrally with carriers clamouring to support them. That day isn't today and it may never happen but the carriers are the ones putting phones in stores not Blackberry. Blackberry will supply all they want (to a degree) but the carriers have read the "doom and gloom" that the financial analysts have put out (and are still going at it to this day) and held back on orders. They are at risk of having a ton of phones on hand that they can't sell (like Sprint and iPhone Sprint committed to $15.5B iPhone contract in 2011, expects to buy more) so they played it safe. Because of this, Johnny can't get his Z10 in store fast enough.

There is no denying that the carriers were surprised at the demand. I'm sure Blackberry is doing what they can to deliver so they can ship phones as fast as possible to close this fiscal quarter. If they have one phone that is for a carrier and it has been ordered, it's not in their warehouse but on the way to the carrier before the carrier been has time to sign the paperwork.

Blackberry is not causing a false sense of demand by manipulating stock of their devices. They can't afford to.
    Last edited by snuci; 02-10-13 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added references
    Dapper37, susu222 and SurrealCivic like this.
    02-10-13 08:25 AM
    Do not forget that these shops were selling many blackberries before so they took a little stock and in case of success they can still order some more.
    No one wants to have stocks of products that he can't sell. They took a safe approach.
    02-10-13 08:32 AM
    While some companies may manipulate stock of their product, Blackberry can't afford to.

Let's look at it from another perspective. Blackberry is fighting for it's life in terms of it's perception on the Stock Market. It reports March 28, 2013 and what number do you think analysts will be looking for? The number of BB 10 devices shipped and sold. They don't care that "Z10s are going for $1750 on eBay" (How Much Is a BlackBerry Z10 Going for on eBay?: Video - Bloomberg) unless they have a piece of the guy making that money. They care that Blackberry is shipping out devices and making money. They also care that what other analysts are saying doesn't occur; namely Blackberry doesn't pull a Palm but rather pulls a Volkswagen and makes it quite successfully. Blackberry are not going to hold back stock to suppliers to make it look like they are in demand.

The carriers, on the other hand, have the ball in their court. I can;t wait for the day that Blackberry can say "Screw you" and sell them centrally with carriers clamouring to support them. That day isn't today and it may never happen but the carriers are the ones putting phones in stores not Blackberry. Blackberry will supply all they want (to a degree) but the carriers have read the "doom and gloom" that the financial analysts have put out (and are still going at it to this day) and held back on orders. They are at risk of having a ton of phones on hand that they can't sell (like Sprint and iPhone Sprint committed to $15.5B iPhone contract in 2011, expects to buy more) so they played it safe. Because of this, Johnny can't get his Z10 in store fast enough.

There is no denying that the carriers were surprised at the demand. I'm sure Blackberry is doing what they can to deliver so they can ship phones as fast as possible to close this fiscal quarter. If they have one phone that is for a carrier and it has been ordered, it's not in their warehouse but on the way to the carrier before the carrier been has time to sign the paperwork.

Blackberry is not causing a false sense of demand by manipulating stock of their devices. They can't afford to.
    I'm sure they are not. But I also think stock holders aren't going to like millions sitting in warehouse like the pb.
    02-10-13 08:34 AM
    A business like Blackberry has to estimate future sales as best they can. Pre-release they surely had estimates and they were too low.

There is no way they are intending for this to happen.
    Actually Blackberry didn't have to estimate anything, they had the orders from the carriers and those were what they had to fill and it is the carriers that have underestimated demand, there are going to be limits on how fast BB can replenish order due to under-estimation by these carriers because they obviously have to have sufficient stock to meet the pre-orders of all the other carriers globally.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-10-13 08:41 AM
    I'm sure they are not. But I also think stock holders aren't going to like millions sitting in warehouse like the pb.
    If this was the complete launch in all markets and this was a few months down the road, there could be issues with extra supply but they haven't even launched to many markets or to one of the biggest markets yet so I don't think this would be an issue yet.
    02-10-13 08:48 AM
    I think BlackBerry (nee RIM) under estimated demand. They were predicted to be dead by now, so they won't build milionsssss of devices and lose money on excess stock. They are losing money by not having enough stock for purchase, but look at the Nexus 4, it's always out of stock and people still want/ buying it!
    02-10-13 08:50 AM
    Maybe the carriers didn't want that many?
    Yes, I said that.
    02-10-13 09:11 AM
    Do not forget that these shops were selling many blackberries before so they took a little stock and in case of success they can still order some more.
    No one wants to have stocks of products that he can't sell. They took a safe approach.
    Yes, one Rogers store worker said she had 20 9900s that she could not sell. And also, I think this is mainly with Rogers, not Bell so maybe Rogers didn't order as many. They could also be having distribution problems and have them all in a central warehouse. Do we really know how often they ship phones to their stores?
    02-10-13 09:15 AM
    Rogers corporate has us waiting several weeks for the z10. That is fine, we don't even have bes10 up yet.

Ten per day is huge, they are well on their way if that is the case.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-10-13 09:47 AM
    Rogers corporate has us waiting several weeks for the z10.
    Us too and I sure would like to know why this delay. As opposed to you we've had our BES ready and waiting for a couple of months now.
    02-10-13 10:25 AM
    Could it also be that BB , with the delay in finalising the Z10 device to get at least some units onto the market by Jan 31st, and then having to play catch up with the production after launch. Seriously, most of the Canadian carriers would have sensed that the Z10 will sell (unlike the playbook) , given the general positive reviews etc.
    Well , only BB knows and so far they have only put up some positive spin to this
    02-10-13 11:39 AM
    Rogers corporate has us waiting several weeks for the z10. That is fine, we don't even have bes10 up yet.
    I ordered from our Bell corporate reseller and would have gotten my Z10 on Friday were it not for the snow storm. I'll be the first in our company to test out our pilot BES10 server already up and waiting. Luckily I pounded them when the BES10 software became available
    02-10-13 12:06 PM
    It makes me wonder how many are made each day at the factory? also how long dose it take to get from factory to shops? Do they fly shipments or ship in containers?
    02-10-13 12:15 PM
    Us too and I sure would like to know why this delay. As opposed to you we've had our BES ready and waiting for a couple of months now.
    If BB corporate sales people for BES were out selling that and getting companies onboard before launch, the phones should have been available for the launch date. The BB Balance is the major feature for companies, surely BB knows that word of mouth between corporate users is the best marketing to start winning that segment back. Sounds like a failure in part of the execution strategy that Mr. Heins said they couldn't afford.
    02-10-13 01:26 PM
    I think BlackBerry (nee RIM) under estimated demand. They were predicted to be dead by now, so they won't build milionsssss of devices and lose money on excess stock. They are losing money by not having enough stock for purchase, but look at the Nexus 4, it's always out of stock and people still want/ buying it!
    The Nexus 4 is a perfect example of how not to release a device. 6 weeks into the launch the N4's sales were only nudging 400,000 with people still waiting 6, 8, or sometimes even 12 weeks for delivery. There were rumours about LG having difficulty with the glass back in manufacture, thus the limited supply. Not true. Turns out that nearly all manufactured units were allocated for carrier inventory and existing orders through Google Play were not a priority. It's interesting that people thought the N4 was a stunning success based purely on the amount of time they had to wait for the orders to be honoured when in reality Google was playing favourites with the carriers.
    02-10-13 02:39 PM
    If BB corporate sales people for BES were out selling that and getting companies onboard before launch, the phones should have been available for the launch date. The BB Balance is the major feature for companies, surely BB knows that word of mouth between corporate users is the best marketing to start winning that segment back. Sounds like a failure in part of the execution strategy that Mr. Heins said they couldn't afford.
    SAP took delivery of 16,000 Z10s on the day of launch and there were hundreds of other large accounts that did too. The enterprise launch of this device was anything but a failure.
    02-10-13 02:42 PM
    SAP took delivery of 16,000 Z10s on the day of launch and there were hundreds of other large accounts that did too. The enterprise launch of this device was anything but a failure.
    Got a source for this? SAP has currently 16,000 on BB7 but I can't find anything that says that took that many on day one.
    02-10-13 03:42 PM
    Got a source for this? SAP has currently 16,000 on BB7 but I can't find anything that says that took that many on day one.
    AT BEF13 Toronto, the day before the Canadian launch, SAP said they were taking delivery of 16,000 Z10s on the day of launch, I was there. Not only was this verbal but it was also reiterated on the large screen. I have no idea if CrackBerry reported it or not, maybe this isn't considered all that news worthy, perhaps it was pretty much expected, but I witnessed this announcement and it certainly impressed me.
    02-10-13 04:09 PM
71 123