At some point RIM will hit the floor for sales in North America. They may have already done so. There will always be some people who recognize a better product and don't care what is fashionable. The real issue is the millions who are going to move from a feature phone to a smartphone. RIM wants a chunk of that market. The only way to get it is advertising. Right now when someone who pays no attention to the phone market goes into the store to buy their first smartphone, they know iPhone. Or they may be sold an Android, which would be a mistake. They are not thinking BlackBerry. Or if they are, they may not have very fond memories of a BlackBerry since it was probably a very locked-down company device.

RIM needs to change that mindset. Apple has the first time phone buyers already. Android has the geeks and nerds. RIM better start going after the baby boomers who have their Nokias and Samsung feature phones but want more capabilities.

RIM needs to understand what makes the iPhone so appealing. It is not the phone as there is nothing special about them. It is the ecosystem and the so called gennieasses in the Apple Store. When someone gets an iPhone, they are setup to go. They can't screw it up because there are no real choices. It all works. It is severely limited but it works.

When you try to setup a BlackBerry, even if you are smart, technical and experienced, it is easy to mess it up. Upgrades often result in bricked devices. Now the PlayBook is 1000 times better in these areas so, I have some hope for BB10.
    04-02-12 03:09 PM
    Doom and gloom, doom and gloom....does anybody here have a life that is atleast half full; so many half empty souls posting.
    04-02-12 03:11 PM
    2. os2 warp vs windows 3.0 - os2 warp was a bulletproof 64 bit os far better than windows 3.0 (when did windows finally introduce a 64 bit os?). Windows won because IBM concentrated on the "enterprise" market and MS concentrated on getting their OS pre-installed on home PC's.

OS/2 Warp was not a 64-bit OS. The point stands, but I just wanted to nitpick.
    04-02-12 04:20 PM
    Apart from lack of apps, BB's are great, however they lack "eye candy", and a little more personalization would be welcomed.

I remember watching the Keynote for iPhone 4,.. Jobs announced "and now you can make folders!", and geeks went APES!!

Thats so pathetic!
    04-02-12 05:16 PM
    Apart from lack of apps, BB's are great, however they lack "eye candy", and a little more personalization would be welcomed.

I remember watching the Keynote for iPhone 4,.. Jobs announced "and now you can make folders!", and geeks went APES!!

Thats so pathetic!
    Okay, so you want "a little more personalization".

Remember, Apple is the company that deliberately takes choice AWAY from the user in order to keep the experience simpler.

If anything, between themes and all the other stuff you can configure, Blackberries are the most customizable devices out there. Doesn't seem to be helping.
    04-02-12 05:54 PM
    Missing deadlines and a lack of involvement in marketing did it. They need to dictate how the carriers present the product and get new product out the door every year for Xmas. Having the customers wait for "Insider Rumors that are mostly Bull" is light years away from a proper marketing strategy.
    04-02-12 06:12 PM

Thats so pathetic!
    geek went APES?? lol, really?
    Oh, folder, crackberry even have a article about that thing, http://crackberry.com/creating-application-folders-bbx

Also what you called "eye candy" are really UI/UX in the reality.
    Remember pinch to zoom, RIM even make a video to demo it, magical stuff =)
    04-02-12 06:16 PM
    Call it overconfidence. Or maybe a sign of the times. I never purchased BlackBerry devices as status symbols nor will I stop purchasing them because most of my friends are on an Android or iPhone. But, others are posting that as reasoning to get a different device. Need better specs, better camera. For some BlackBerries will never have enough features based on other devices. That's normal for those that want new devices every six months. Been there.....years ago. I want a BB10 smartphone. However, my 9810 does what I need. I truly believe RIM is going to weather the media storm and whether we like it or not, the stories all point to one conclusion, RIM needs to step up with the next generation of devices, tablets. When that happens, we will see a change in the media coverage and changing of the attitudes of members.
    04-02-12 06:38 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD