How does one find these stats, if we wanted to have actual verifiable factual numbers?

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-20-12 10:04 AM
    The point remains that there are many, many "niche" apps that appeal to only a small segment of the user base, but are very important for the people who use them. For example, many schools and universities use Blackboard, a web app suite for communication between teachers and students, posting grades, announcements, course discussions, and so on. But it's still a niche app. Nevertheless, for the people who are affected by it, it's very useful to have. It's available for iPhone and Android, but not (yet) for BB or WP. This could give tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of faculty, administrators, and students a strong reason not to get a BB.

There are countless examples of niche apps like this. Individually, no single app of this sort will make or break a platform, but cumulatively they are very important.

We too often fall into the false dilemma of thinking there are two kinds of apps: the "big name" popular ones, like Evernote, and the frivolous, "junk" apps, like the flashlight apps.
    It's exactly these kind of niche productivity apps that RIM needs to go after. . .
    12-20-12 10:06 AM
    How does one find these stats, if we wanted to have actual verifiable factual numbers?

googled it. . .this came up . .. App Store infested with zombie software, claims analytics startup Adeven — European technology news . . .seems legit. . .
    12-20-12 10:08 AM
    Why do people insist on pulling fake stats out of their bums and posting them as 'facts' on these forums?

Why RIM doesn't have to worry about the number of apps-gsmarena_003.jpg

because facts get in the way of trying to slander other companies
    12-20-12 10:28 AM
    Why do people insist on pulling fake stats out of their bums and posting them as 'facts' on these forums?
    67.8% of people never do this.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-20-12 10:29 AM
    LOL - yeah Tim Cook knows how to use "funny math" too.

I actually admire the way he's able to get it repeated and even improved upon in the media without question. Sorta like how he said, "We've sold 400 million iOS devices" and several media outlets transformed that into 400 million active users".
    12-20-12 10:45 AM
    Hhhhhmmmmm.....interesting.......
    I was thinking in terms of actual data that is verifiable such as through a FOIA request.....

12-20-12 10:53 AM
    Hhhhhmmmmm.....interesting.......
    I was thinking in terms of actual data that is verifiable such as through a FOIA request.....

I guess you'd have to reach out to the folks at Apptrace . . .from reading their blog it seem like they are doing a bit of guessing as well . . .apptrace | app store intelligence
    12-20-12 11:05 AM
    Hold on. That article does not support the statement "First of all, 400,000 apps in the Apple store have never been downloaded, even once.".

In fact, this blog posting by the same company which provided the data contradicts that assertion.

Although, in theory app zombies can still be downloaded, we concluded that an average zombie is getting zero to ten downloads a day, depending on the country.
    But the fact is, they don't really know. They don't have access to the actual download numbers and are just guessing. They are basing it on Apple's own ranking system, and they define an app zombie as apps not having a ranking. The App store has a very long tail and what's happening here is that Apple decided that below a certain download amount, ranking doesn't provide any value.
    RubberChicken76 and mikeo007 like this.
    12-20-12 11:22 AM
    But the fact is, they don't really know. They don't have access to the actual download numbers and are just guessing.
    Good point. I've actually wondered how some of the studies that measure things like 'marketshare of App Stores' are able to do it (# of downloads, revenue earned etc) without getting access to detailed numbers from Apple, Google, RIM, Microsoft, Nokia and all the third party stores.
    12-20-12 11:29 AM
    Good point. I've actually wondered how some of the studies that measure things like 'marketshare of App Stores' are able to do it (# of downloads, revenue earned etc) without getting access to detailed numbers from Apple, Google, RIM, Microsoft, Nokia and all the third party stores.
    This is accessible through a Freedom of Information Act request.
    But that is a nuisance for the casual curious person.

RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-20-12 11:55 AM
    I am a casual, curious person. I came to own a BB just by dumb luck several years ago and stuck with the company because I understood it's menu's and it did all I really needed it to. This summer I will be eligible to upgrade my phone again (Currently the BB Torch) and I'm strongly leaning towards an Android device. I already use Google's various services and my wife's Samsung Galaxy SIII just makes me want to hide my phone in shame. Her phone just has a "wow" factor to it and available apps (both quality and quantity) play a role in that for me.

It may seems silly to many here, but little things like not having Skype or Angry Birds is annoying to me. Seeing ads for various companies mobile apps and rarely seeing BB is disheartening to me. I think the perception that BB lacks apps and hardware to run them is a HUGE image problem for RIM. I know that I, as a BB user for the last 4 years, have very serious doubts about new apps being available as we move forward the next few years.
    12-20-12 12:50 PM
    RIM needs both quality and quantity. Although in reality, many people would do just fine with a few apps, they will never get to that point if the marketing doesn't cause them to own a BB. And marketing for apps is driven by metrics - namely quantity.
    12-20-12 02:50 PM
    But that is a nuisance for the casual curious person.
    But FOIA doesn't apply to corporations?
    12-20-12 02:52 PM
    How would that work for a non-government body? Given that these are private corporations, in turn, handling private data of their partners, it sounds like it's probably pretty difficult to get.
    12-20-12 02:54 PM
    No. Sent to IRS in this case I think.
    Long cumbersome process.

12-21-12 01:22 AM
    How would that work for a non-government body? Given that these are private corporations, in turn, handling private data of their partners, it sounds like it's probably pretty difficult to get.

It is not easy which is why not for just casual curious average Joe.

12-21-12 01:26 AM
    Hi. Now you have.
    Yeah, but how many do you use on a daily , or even weekly basis?
    Jes' wonderin'...
    12-21-12 02:58 AM
    You are proving my point. There are hundreds of millions of users in other western developed nations that are potentially customers if the US turnaround doesn't go according to plan. And the launch event is happening simultaneously in 6 different countries not just NYC.

Population by Country in millions

Canada 34
    UK 62
    Ireland 4.5
    France 65
    Germany 82
    Spain 47
    Netherlands 17
    Australia 23
    Belgium 11
    Austria 8
    Switzerland 8
    Portugal 11
    Nordic countries 25
    Italy 60

Total 397.5 million

Population of the USA 311 million

Expand your perspective, the world is a big place. BlackBerry has other potential markets to make a buck and it's potential failure in the US doesn't have to be the hill RIM dies on.
    Yes but not a single one of those counties can make or break RIM. Success in the US will pretty much guarantee it. Of course "rest of the world" is larger than the US. That doesn't diminish the US market though, and it's importance. The dynamics of subsidies and such in the US make it a much larger market for $600 phones than anywhere else. Look at the most recent 90 days ending Nov. for Apple, 47% market share, which means at the very least 47% of smartphones sold in the US during that time period were $450-850, the vast majority over $600. That's not even including the various Samsungs like the S3 and the Note2 that also sell for over $600. There's no other market in the world like it, not even Western Europe.
    12-21-12 05:12 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gsmarena_003.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	129017

because facts get in the way of trying to slander other companies
    In a previous post, this exact same picture was shown, with the same stat. I notice some other people in this thread also participated in that particular thread, and yet chose to rehash the silly statement that 400K apps are never downloaded.... Basically, they just want to spread FUD, because obviously they are now purposefully repeating information that has been previously proven wrong.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-21-12 05:15 AM
70 123