I've heard multiple people say "its just a phone, relax..."

But why is this acceptable? Outside of my curve 8320, it seems like every other "newer" blackberry has problems. I know RIM is constantly improving OS's, but what about this reboot issue? Why is it so hard to figure out? I think this should be the most important aspect of an OS.

Does color banding, flick scrolling, etc matter if you have an emergency and need to call for help and your berry takes 4 minutes to reboot?

/end rant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 04:26 PM
    Never had a random reboot and no one I know has ever had one. Maybe yours is just defective.
    08-30-09 04:44 PM
    Random reboot? Mine's never done that.

What problems are you referring to that "every other 'newer' blackberry" has?

And what is "flick scrolling"?
    08-30-09 04:46 PM
    Random reboot? Mine's never done that.

What problems are you referring to that "every other 'newer' blackberry" has?

And what is "flick scrolling"?
    Flick scrolling, think iPhone. Just flick the screen and it scrolls.
    08-30-09 04:48 PM
    The only time I see a random reboot is with a leaked OS. Otherwise it never happens.
    08-30-09 04:50 PM
    I agree. I have only ever had problems with reboots on a leaked OS which wasn't right for my carrier. By the time they release the OS for your carrier as official all those sorts of issues tend to be ironed out.

08-30-09 04:56 PM
    Really? So all the bold, tour, and storm users with random reboots all haved leaked OS's? I had a storm with an "official" os and it still rebooted. A lot of other people on this forum are looking for "stable" os's, since the "offical" isn't stable.

08-30-09 05:21 PM
    Really? So all the bold, tour, and storm users with random reboots all haved leaked OS's? I had a storm with an "official" os and it still rebooted. A lot of other people on this forum are looking for "stable" os's, since the "offical" isn't stable.

Best bet is to try on the Storm forum I think.
    08-30-09 06:02 PM
    My curve 8330 rebooted when I dropped it and I panicked thinking it was broken but it restarted just fine. I thank my lucky stars it had a case and screen protector on.

08-30-09 11:27 PM
    I can't see what difference the OS makes for random reboots. Does the carrier sniff your phone and reboot it if it's not their official release? I can see the hybrids, as they are pieced together versions, but the others should work fine.

Mine was a reboot mess until I upgraded to the most recent OS from another carrier. Now my phone has only rebooted 2 times in over 2 weeks and I do not do daily battery pulls or use quick pull either.
    08-31-09 12:07 AM
    if you have random boots, there is a problem with OS.

you should wipe the OS then reinstall it.
    08-31-09 12:09 AM
    The only Berry I ever used that did a random reboot was my Storm and it only ever did it twice.

I wouldn't be accepting of constant reboots, but (and this is NOT directed at the OP, just talking in general) I see a lot of ppl who clearly overload the heck outta their phone and then are baffled at why its slow and acting weird.

If it constantly happened, wipe and reload.
    08-31-09 12:32 AM
    Never had a random reboot and no one I know has ever had one. Maybe yours is just defective.

So. You know me and I have random reboots. And no my BB is not defective, and NO I do not use leaked OS...
    08-31-09 04:42 AM
    I have never had a random rebooton my Tour and I had them on my on Storm but I always ran the latest leak.

08-31-09 07:24 AM
    I'm running .151 on my Storm and I've had no issues at all with rebooting.
    08-31-09 08:41 AM
    I have an 8220, my wife has an 8820. Mine has been rebooting...probably 1x a day (sometimes more, sometimes less). What's annoying about mine is that about half the time it reboots it freezes with a black screen (but still pulling juice, the battery stays warm) and can only be restored by a battery pull. My wife's has been rebooting multiple times per day, sometimes back to health, sometimes into the hourglass/black-screen-red-light reboot cycle. I did determine that at least some of *her* reboots were due to the battery being loose and shifting around in the phone...however, I completely am amazed that Blackberry has released phones that seem to have SO MANY problems. I've had multiple Motorolas, Nokias, and Samsungs in the past, and while they had their issues, at least the phone bit was pretty usable b/c it didn't randomly turn off while on a call! I'm running standard OSs on both phones, I've tried them without media cards in them, tried with media cards formatted by the current phone os.... My suspicion? Some of the software that you can't kill, the programs that BB runs by default all the time, are badly behaved. There's a feature in Windows Mobile (my wife has an older PDA) where it lets you see running applications and kill them...I'd love to see how the BB would do if you could kill the background apps and just have the basic OS running.
    10-09-09 08:16 AM
    I have an 8220, my wife has an 8820. Mine has been rebooting...probably 1x a day (sometimes more, sometimes less). What's annoying about mine is that about half the time it reboots it freezes with a black screen (but still pulling juice, the battery stays warm) and can only be restored by a battery pull. My wife's has been rebooting multiple times per day, sometimes back to health, sometimes into the hourglass/black-screen-red-light reboot cycle. I did determine that at least some of *her* reboots were due to the battery being loose and shifting around in the phone...however, I completely am amazed that Blackberry has released phones that seem to have SO MANY problems. I've had multiple Motorolas, Nokias, and Samsungs in the past, and while they had their issues, at least the phone bit was pretty usable b/c it didn't randomly turn off while on a call! I'm running standard OSs on both phones, I've tried them without media cards in them, tried with media cards formatted by the current phone os.... My suspicion? Some of the software that you can't kill, the programs that BB runs by default all the time, are badly behaved. There's a feature in Windows Mobile (my wife has an older PDA) where it lets you see running applications and kill them...I'd love to see how the BB would do if you could kill the background apps and just have the basic OS running.
    My first smartphone was a Motorola Q. It would randomly reboot. Even better, after about a year, around half the time I called someone, it would lock up, so that I had to do a battery pull on it (shorter reboot time, true, perhaps a minute or two). I replaced it with a Q9c. Though it never developed this bad habit, it did regularly reboot itself, forgetting the sound profile I had set, leading to several embarrassing situations where my phone started playing the Moto reboot music at highly inappropriate times - even though I had silenced the phone. The notion that one manufacturer or another makes defect-free phones is simply not true.

If you want to kill the apps that are running on your BB, hold down the BB key and it will bring up a list of the programs that are running. Choose whichever one you want and close it. There are some you can't kill, just as there are with a windows mobile phone. The difference is that BB displays separate functions, such as phone and email, as separate programs.
    10-09-09 09:29 AM
    For one lots of phones reboot randomly. People act like its not normal to happen to a cell phone. I had an iphone and it would reboot by itself like every 2 days and pissed me off! I've had other phones that would do the same if they got over loaded *blackjack*! My blackberry 8900 random reboots on a occassion. I could fix the problem *memory leak* with reloading my OS and probably getting rid of some stuff but I haven't because I'm to busy right and would like to upgrade to OS 5. Either way its not that out of the norm for stuff like this to take place.

10-09-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD