View Poll Results: Do you think CDMA is dying?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Lets move on with HSPA+ and LTE already!

15 50.00%
  • No. CDMA still has life left in it. It's not going away.

11 36.67%
  • It'll be a long time yet...

4 13.33%
  • Maybe. I want so see which way the cat jumps...

0 0%
  • What's HSPA/LTE?

0 0%
    For years on the internets I've heard the same thing over and over: "Will (insert device here) be coming out with CDMA?" "I hope it comes out in CDMA." "I'll positively die if it doesn't come out with CDMA!", etc, etc. It's time to stop the madness. It's time y'all stopped worrying now! It's time to stop whining. Why? All the old tech, CDMA included, is getting replaced worldwide as we speak.

Don't get me wrong; CDMA has had it's benefits. I've been with a CDMA carrier for a few years. BUT what cheeses me off about CDMA is that all phones that come with it are permanently locked to the carrier. There's no way around it! Also, switching between CDMA handsets is not that easy. It's even worse if you're switching to/from a so-called "world phone" with CDMA and GSM in the same package. It's time for a change!

Practically all the carriers are upgrading to UMTS (aka EDGE [2G], HSPA [3G], LTE [4G]) sooner or later. Coverage is growing by the month. Everyday cell towers all over are getting upgraded with new equipment with the old equipment being left in place. That's right kids! You'll be able to use the stuff you have right now for some time yet. All I'm saying is that it's silly to fret about whether NEW phones are coming out with OLD, outdated technology.

CDMA is dying. It's becoming irrelevant. Get over it. Just upgrade to the new tech, when it arrives, when it suits you, and be happy! I did.
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 07-12-10 at 04:15 PM.
    07-11-10 08:56 PM
    And you expect me to ditch my phone and carrier because CDMA is a dying technology when I get amazing reception mostly wherever I go? *rolls eyes* I'm not worried about it. When LTE comes for Verizon, it comes.
    07-11-10 09:25 PM
    I think the issue is twofold. First, people like their carriers and do not wish to move
    to get a device that is offered on a GSM carrier (think iPhone or any other carrier
    exclusive device) and second, the new technology isn't fully rolled out so people
    deal with the present carrier services available. Not all that unreasonable IMO.
    07-11-10 09:25 PM
    They say Verizon is moving full speed ahead with it's LTE roll out. We shall see!
    07-11-10 09:31 PM
    1. First of all, you DON'T have to change your carrier. (I DIDN'T) They're all upgrading.
    2.UMTS coverage is relatively complete where I live . Wherever a CDMA tower is, a UMTS signal will be there too. It's spreading practically everywhere.
    3. You'll have time to upgrade. No rush.
    4. My whole point is that even YOUR CDMA carrier will be going with this too...
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 07-11-10 at 10:09 PM. Reason: More info
    07-11-10 09:36 PM
    1. First of all, you DON'T have to change your carrier. (I DIDN'T) They're all upgrading.
    2.UMTS coverage is relatively complete where I live . Wherever a CDMA tower is, a UMTS signal will be there too. It's spreading practically everywhere.
    3. You'll have time to upgrade. No rush.
    4. My whole point is that even YOUR CDMA carrier will be going with this too...
    You live in a fairly populated area

CDMA will have a number of years before it will be retired, my father had a Rotary dial phone until BELL gave him a free replacement to move away from Rotary dial, I know many people using cellphones more than 10 years old, the Carriers have to get them to switch to new technologies, I can see data no longer being offered over CDMA in 2-3 years, forcing any smartphone buyer to buy the new tech, and as all phones become "smart" it will phase out CDMA.

I can ONLY use Bell I hate them, but they are currently the only company with complete coverage in my travel areas, Rogers is creating deals with some of the regional carriers to expand there offerings in North Western Ontario, and hopefully in South Eastern, then I can drop Bell For Rogers.
    07-11-10 10:50 PM
    You live in a fairly populated area

CDMA will have a number of years before it will be retired, my father had a Rotary dial phone until BELL gave him a free replacement to move away from Rotary dial, I know many people using cellphones more than 10 years old, the Carriers have to get them to switch to new technologies, I can see data no longer being offered over CDMA in 2-3 years, forcing any smartphone buyer to buy the new tech, and as all phones become "smart" it will phase out CDMA.

I can ONLY use Bell I hate them, but they are currently the only company with complete coverage in my travel areas, Rogers is creating deals with some of the regional carriers to expand there offerings in North Western Ontario, and hopefully in South Eastern, then I can drop Bell For Rogers.

I too believe it will be a number of yrs. before CDMA is retired, although it is time to move on, the lightly populated area's make this virtually impossible.
    07-11-10 11:00 PM
    like the other posts said...it still has a few good years left in it....and i'll be enjoying every last second of it!
    Last edited by Mojary; 07-11-10 at 11:09 PM.
    07-11-10 11:03 PM
    Because I want the 9800. And at the same time I don't want to pay Verizon's stupid $350 ETF.
    07-11-10 11:10 PM
    Because I want the 9800. And at the same time I don't want to pay Verizon's stupid $350 ETF.
    ETF's suck, don't they? $350? Ouch! If I cancel the contract I'm in, I'll be in the soup for $20 times the number of months I've got left or a minimum of $100.
    07-11-10 11:50 PM

Good luck with that. Leaving Bell for Rogers made me miss Bell. Since I went back I have been thrilled (4+ years and counting for cell , tv and internet - I never left for home phone since I was 18). Watching and hearing some of my co-workers recounting their latest Rogers horror story makes me more certain I did the right thing.

Grass isn't always greener...but good luck.
    07-12-10 01:15 AM
    CDMA is an old technology, but it will be around in the US for some time to come still, mainly because voice isn't ready for prime-time on 4G just yet. Plus the 4G coverage (WiMAX 2.6GHz and LTE 700MHz) will still take a long time to build out to match the 2G CDMA coverage. I think Sprint and Verizon will need to keep their CDMA networks alive for voice for at least the next 5 years.
    07-12-10 03:24 AM
    I need GSM over CDMA as my phone goes with me to other countries. If it wasn't for that fact I really wouldn't care what technology I have.
    07-12-10 10:05 AM
    Um CDMA isn't dying because Sprint already has a growing 4g technology and the 3g service is very good where I live. Don't speak for everyone.
    07-12-10 12:28 PM
    Um CDMA isn't dying because Sprint already has a growing 4g technology and the 3g service is very good where I live. Don't speak for everyone.
    Sprint is still around?

odd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 12:32 PM
    With all due respect, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GSM older
    technology than CDMA? Why is everyone always in a hurry to refer to CDMA as
    being so "old"?
    Last edited by The_Maestro; 07-13-10 at 12:57 AM.
    07-12-10 01:04 PM
    For years on the internets I've heard the same thing over and over: "Will (insert device here) be coming out with CDMA?" "I hope it comes out in CDMA." "I'll positively die if it doesn't come out with CDMA!"
    Ah, I don't care about CDMA or GSM or whatever else you want to call the network. I care what Verizon has to offer, and right now, Verizon is CDMA. So, yes, I wonder if the BB 9800 will come out with CDMA or the Iphone or any other cool phone, for that matter. Not because I want CDMA, but because I don't want to leave Verizon. If Verizon wants to use GSM phones, cool. As long they are able to maintain their outstanding service coverage, I don't particularly care what network technology they use. For the disclaimer, I am not a tech worker, so I don't know enough about the two type of networks to really know which one is best to want.
    07-12-10 01:07 PM
    I gotta clear up a misconception here: UMTS (HSPA/LTE) is NOT the same thing as GSM. UMTS (HSPA/LTE) runs over top of older technologies like CDMA and GSM. True, UMTS is only directly backwards compatible with GSM derivatives but it doesn't mean that it can't be mounted on the same towers with older CDMA equipment. That is what my Canadian carrier just did, even in the boonies/rural areas. Deployment of UMTS can be done relatively quickly once a carrier *gets the ball rolling*. They just have to get off their butts and do it.
    Another point I'd like to make is that HSPA makes for significantly faster browsing on your BB. It's true! Newer, better software (a-la OS6, webkit) can only do so much without better hardware to back it up.
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 07-12-10 at 01:36 PM.
    07-12-10 01:34 PM
    Why are you guys still driving gas-burning, internal combustion engines when the fuel cell is the wave of the future?
    07-12-10 01:49 PM
    Why are you guys still driving gas-burning, internal combustion engines when the fuel cell is the wave of the future?
    'Cuz, uh, cellphones are easier to develop?
    07-12-10 02:00 PM
    Oh my gawd, not another CDMA vs GSM thread.... Yes, please. Those of you who want to make the jump to GSM/LTE please go. More CDMA bandwidth for me.
    07-12-10 11:24 PM
    Oh my gawd, not another CDMA vs GSM thread....
    Did you actually read this thread because it is nothing of the sort.
    07-12-10 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD