Let me start off by saying that I love the new BB7 devices and their awesomeness....

So naturally, I wondered why many people were saying that they would wait for QNX phones to come along. I think I now know why people are demanding that QNX OS for smartphones so much. Took me a while to see what people were actually asking and waiting for....

-Much more high quality apps and games can be installed (so the OS and apps are NOT sharing a pathetic mempry allocation)
    -Better multitasking with multiple processing cores
    -More support for other development platforms
    -Better stability (in theory)
    edit: -maybe flash will be on the qnx phone as it is already working for the playbook???

EDIT: Thanks ichat, QNX will have the android player as well! Big bonus.

Any other advantages you can thing of?

I'm still getting a 9860 Torch but now that I clearly see advantages for QNX, I just wanted to share my thoughts with others and see if they agree.
    Last edited by chiefbroski; 08-10-11 at 01:28 PM. Reason: ichat is a baller
    ichat likes this.
    08-10-11 07:28 AM
    QNX is made by a company I think is named QNX. Their specialty are in making OS. One BIG advantage is the Android player. I'm not sure if you heard but the Playbook can very soon be playing awesome Android apps. That would mean both QNX and Android apps can be played on QNX powered stuff. I have gotten to play with a PB and the operating system is slick and clean and interface is first class! That's why the operating system is crazed for and I hope this reply helped!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-10-11 11:26 AM
    Widgets please!!! I can't stress enough how awesome it was to use widgets on my SGT 10.1. QNX can run circles around Android when it comes to ability to run widgets. You can see this potential when you "minimize" a full HD video and it runs perfectly in a smaller screen in the background while you can still zoom around the interface smoothly. This is PERFECT for widgets!!! How do they not see this.
    08-10-11 12:14 PM
    Sounds like BB7 will be the one for me then.

08-10-11 12:29 PM
    I wonder how the security of the Blackberry services (BIS/BES) will work together with the Android apps, which aren't of the higher BB security standards per se.
    Hopefully its as simple as granting the right permissions so all needed data goes through secure RIM servers.
    08-10-11 03:19 PM
    Sounds like BB7 will be the one for me then.

I agree. Mike
    08-10-11 05:14 PM
    we have yet to see if qnx will be better on a bb handset.but qnx on pb is just awesome.if rim takes that experience from the pb and translates it to their devices,then i could see a winner.they will have to continue to build with qnx and develop more new things that other os platforms have.however,i do think rim will come out with bb8,9,10,and so on.so bb7 may not be the last straw of the native bb os.rim prefers choices for its customers.
    08-10-11 07:19 PM
    The nature of QNX is the micro-kernel, compared to the monolithic kernel of BB OS, QNX offers the ability to build the OS in a "modular" way.

For example, let's say you're on your QNX phone and suddenly an app crashes completely. Since it is a "module", the app will crash, but the rest of the apps/OS won't be disturbed by it.

Also, I believe this micro-kernel structure allows for better and faster OS releases (just look how many the PB has had), since you no longer need to recode the entire OS, but rather the bit you are improving. Theoretically, this should make the entire experience more stable as well.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-11-11 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD