I don't usually post a debatable thought, But I believe the Passport will be a success. Here's my take on why it will be:

Even since the first iphone came out, the whole industry has been following the idea of how a smartphone should look like. The dimensions, the size, comfort zone, and all that good stuff. All they have done throughout the years is tweak, tweak, and tweak. After all, 'why fix something if it ain't broken?!'. What happens after all the tweaking? You reach a peak and lose the interest because you feel you've reached..well, the peak. But let's be honest and say the first iphone was cr*p, but it was the greatest ever. Why? Because it was a crazy idea. It took people out of the norm of what a phone looks like and into something new. Something they've never touched before. It triggered something that started out with a small wave and then went on to rattle the industry for the next 5+ years. The small wave I mentioned was created by what we know of as 'early adopters'. The rest is history as they say.

The greatest were always the most daring, and Blackberry is daring. My Goodness they are. This whole Blackberry versus the world reminds me of a biblical story: David and Goliath. No one seemed to dare to face Goliath, and when David chose to face him, the king wanted him to ware heavy armour. David refused and said a strong line 'I'm not made for these'. And again, the rest was history.

Looking at the Passport and where it stands, it's honestly not far from being dubbed as the next smartphone revolution. It's crazy, different-looking and something no one has touched before. The idea is making people think (or re-think), and that's the trick (and it seems to be working). They say if you want to gain the attention of someone you admire, get them to think of you by doing something crazy, and i see the resemblance. It doesn't stop here though, Blackberry has it better. They have an OS and an App World that i would consider cooked medium-well, something Apple didn't have when they launched the iphone.

When BlackBerry took off back in the days, they did so with crazy, different-looking phones. I feel it's happening again, with mistakes not forgotten, but learnt from that's for sure.
    07-21-14 02:20 AM
    Allot has changed since the first iPhone came out and Apple and Android have become household names here in the USA.

iPads, iPhones and Android devices are all I see folks from 15 to 80 using these days. They have embedded themselves into the mainstream culture and it's not changing anytime soon.

If Blackberry wants any new product to sell, it has to be value added and be priced accordingly if they expect folks to buy it and maybe get some former Blackberry users to come back.

This it not about being a iSheep, fanboy or any of that nonsense. This is about the state of the current situation here and the rest of the world for that matter. Just my two cents.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Last edited by bakron1; 07-21-14 at 04:46 AM.
    07-21-14 04:05 AM
    I don't usually post a debatable thought, But I believe the Passport will be a success. Here's my take on why it will be:

Even since the first iphone came out, the whole industry has been following the idea of how a smartphone should look like. The dimensions, the size, comfort zone, and all that good stuff. All they have done throughout the years is tweak, tweak, and tweak. After all, 'why fix something if it ain't broken?!'. What happens after all the tweaking? You reach a peak and lose the interest because you feel you've reached..well, the peak. But let's be honest and say the first iphone was cr*p, but it was the greatest ever. Why? Because it was a crazy idea. It took people out of the norm of what a phone looks like and into something new. Something they've never touched before. It triggered something that started out with a small wave and then went on to rattle the industry for the next 5+ years. The small wave I mentioned was created by what we know of as 'early adopters'. The rest is history as they say.

The greatest were always the most daring, and Blackberry is daring. My Goodness they are. This whole Blackberry versus the world reminds me of a biblical story: David and Goliath. No one seemed to dare to face Goliath, and when David chose to face him, the king wanted him to ware heavy armour. David refused and said a strong line 'I'm not made for these'. And again, the rest was history.

Looking at the Passport and where it stands, it's honestly not far from being dubbed as the next smartphone revolution. It's crazy, different-looking and something no one has touched before. The idea is making people think (or re-think), and that's the trick (and it seems to be working). They say if you want to gain the attention of someone you admire, get them to think of you by doing something crazy, and i see the resemblance. It doesn't stop here though, Blackberry has it better. They have an OS and an App World that i would consider cooked medium-well, something Apple didn't have when they launched the iphone.

When BlackBerry took off back in the days, they did so with crazy, different-looking phones. I feel it's happening again, with mistakes not forgotten, but learnt from that's for sure.
    That's exactly what Steve Jobs had been doing all these years. If you can't beat them, be different. That's what he had been doing when he was fighting an uphill battle against Bill Gates. Windows vs Mac. But now Apple has become mainstream I guess.
    07-21-14 04:15 AM
    Very well said OP.Loved it.

Posted from my Black Beast Q10
    Shadowyugi, neoberry99 and BBrickk like this.
    07-21-14 05:44 AM
    When the iPod came out, it offered a better experience then the MP3 players of the day. After kids/people got used to the iPod, it wasn't much of a progression for many to step up to the iPhone. People were familiar with how they worked already for the most part. Not only that, but many are quite happy with how they work. Now they want to use them for business. As a commercial product, you can't help but be impressed by it's success.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    07-21-14 06:19 AM
    It could be a hit within its target market (I personally still think that's a stretch) but I don't see any cell phone revolution taking place because of it.

Z10
    07-21-14 06:33 AM
    Most people will think it is too wide and thick to hold one hand comfortably for very long. There's a reason why phones are a certain width and getting thinner.
    21stNow likes this.
    07-21-14 07:04 AM

If Blackberry wants any new product to sell, it has to be value added
    Very well said. I completely agree.

That point generally gets lost in here.
    07-21-14 07:07 AM
    The passport will sell only to within their target market... Which means businesses and few consumers. I do not believe is going to be a hit.
    Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    07-21-14 07:18 AM
    One target market BlackBerry is missing with this phone: journalists. They read pdfs and words as much as anyone. Give it a decent camera as newsrooms are making reporters take their own shots. BlackBerry should also target journalists.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 07:51 AM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Passport will be one of the most innovative phones in years....

It will be a very successful and high productivity device as well as offering consumer friendly features...

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 07:56 AM

It will be a very successful and high productivity device as well as offering consumer friendly features...

Posted via CB10
    Define "very successful".

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-21-14 08:10 AM
    In BlackBerry current situation a few hundred thousands at launch will consider a success.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 08:56 AM

So changing the size and screen aspect ratio is synonymous with innovation? That would be missing a lot of innovation that happens without changing the ergonomics of the device. Going from a one-hander to a two-hander smartphone might not be considered that consumer friendly.
    07-21-14 09:02 AM
    There is value added. The value that is added in this case is a new concept.
    07-21-14 06:42 PM

While I would probably buy it, I see many won't because the underlying problem still exists (lack of apps) and
    no new device will succeed without them.
    07-21-14 06:54 PM
    Really, the screen should have been the full size of the device with BB10 OS, Playbook Mini....more chance of better sales...
    07-21-14 06:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Where is the innovation? screen size is not innovation nor is the keyboard
    07-21-14 06:57 PM
    It is ironic that the press and many users have harped that BB had fallen because they could not "innovate" ... now that they actually have the truely onnovatve phone with shape and features in years... so many criticize it for being different... BB cannot win worth trying...
    gokulesh, Shadowyugi and red72 like this.
    07-21-14 07:05 PM
    Where is the innovation? screen size is not innovation nor is the keyboard
    OK, who else has a touch sense pKB?

What the what?
    red72 and 2cats1dog like this.
    07-21-14 07:12 PM
    Didn't people also said the Q10 will be a massive hit? Well, look how that turned out. The Passport will not be a huge hit, same goes for the Classic. It will bring in more customers but nothing impressive.

Posted via CB10
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    07-21-14 07:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well World Traveller I don't trust its staff nor CEO, so that's your opinion in the official BB Playbook bin this side. Bloody Awful.
    07-21-14 07:23 PM
    There is value added. The value that is added in this case is a new concept.
    Interesting.
    07-21-14 07:24 PM
    Didn't people also said the Q10 will be a massive hit? Well, look how that turned out. The Passport will not be a huge hit, same goes for the Classic. It will bring in more customers but nothing impressive.

Posted via CB10
    Classic, a pre BB10 device with BB10 OS...with no BIS revenue - who the f**k does Chen think he's kidding he can turn this around before the $2billion run$ out? Now that's CLASSIC!
    07-21-14 07:25 PM
    Interesting.
    I has a Playbook like that once, the new official BB case cost a few bucks on clearance whilst I was waiting on the promised BB10. Added value my ***/istant...
    07-21-14 07:28 PM
131 123 ...