It's $600 off contract, which is cheaper than most high end phones and yet it costs more on contract than those phones. Also, Nexus 6 is rumored to be $50 on contract. Why? SMH.
    10-15-14 09:19 AM
    Supply and demand, it's a brand new device, the price will drop in a couple of months.
    10-15-14 09:28 AM
    It's $600 off contract, which is cheaper than most high end phones and yet it costs more on contract than those phones. Also, Nexus 6 is rumored to be $50 on contract. Why? SMH.
    Which phones are you comparing to? That's doesn't seem that much out of line to me. Less than the top end Apple phones, for example. And the Nexus phones aren't anywhere near $600 off contract, iirc.
    10-15-14 09:30 AM
    Also AT&T probably expect to ship a whole lot of Nexus devices and obviously aren't too sold on the Passport unfortunately

Posted with my Q10
    10-15-14 09:30 AM
    If you hope to wait a few months and get a discounted Passport.... afraid you might be in for a disappointment. Think BlackBerry has returned to their roots.... look at how BBOS devices have been priced. On Verizon the 9930 is still $100 with a two year contract, and how "old" is it?

The days of deep cuts and markdowns are over, they will either get their asking price or they won't build anymore.
    wincyUt and jimlockhead like this.
    10-15-14 09:40 AM
    ATT loves to stick it to ya!

Posted via Verizon Z10!
    10-15-14 10:09 AM
    It's because most carriers are trying to shift their customers to the installment payment plan programs from the traditional two-year contract subsidized schemes.

By making the two-year contract prices less palatable, they force people to take a harder look at their device payment plans. I'm not sure why, but... they have somehow figure out that this is a better way to deal with handing out expensive devices for a few bucks.

Posted via CB10
    planemaker likes this.
    10-15-14 10:12 AM
    AT&T has released pricing info? Since when? Genuine question.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 10:50 AM
    Where do you see this contract pricing?
    10-15-14 11:05 AM
    AT&T has released pricing info? Since when? Genuine question.

Posted via CB10
    http://crackberry.com/att-getting-ex...t-launches-usa

Bla1ze mentioned it here.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 11:23 AM
    Which phones are you comparing to? That's doesn't seem that much out of line to me. Less than the top end Apple phones, for example. And the Nexus phones aren't anywhere near $600 off contract, iirc.
    "The Nexus 6 will be available to preorder on October 29th, and it'll be available in stores beginning in November. You'll be able to buy it unlocked for $649 or on a monthly contract, and it will also be offered on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, US Cellular, and Sprint. "
    21stNow and TGR1 like this.
    10-15-14 11:31 AM
    The Derek Kessler article states,

...the expectation that the newest and squarest BlackBerry smartphone will cost around $250 with a contract, presumably the same from AT&T as well.
    In other words, pricing is not a lock.
    10-15-14 11:31 AM
    The Derek Kessler article states,

In other words, pricing is not a lock.
    Exactly. Nothing has been confirmed or made official about pricing.

(and raino forgot to also highlight "around"...)

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 11:34 AM
    That's as old news as "Passport is coming to AT&T soon".
    10-15-14 11:35 AM
    How much will it cost me to have someone in Mexico put a CDMA band in a passport? lol
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-15-14 11:42 AM
    "The Nexus 6 will be available to preorder on October 29th, and it'll be available in stores beginning in November. You'll be able to buy it unlocked for $649 or on a monthly contract, and it will also be offered on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, US Cellular, and Sprint. "
    Mea culpa. I thought Google's pricing on Nexus phones was more the "lower than typical".
    10-15-14 11:44 AM
    Mea culpa. I thought Google's pricing on Nexus phones was more the "lower than typical".
    "Was" is the keyword in your sentence.
    10-15-14 12:02 PM
    No...you're right. At least the previous two phones have been $300-350 when bought directly from Google. Oh well. Maybe Google decided to no longer subsidize this loss leader.
    10-15-14 12:05 PM
    No...you're right. At least the previous two phones have been $300-350 when bought directly from Google. Oh well. Maybe Google decided to no longer subsidize this loss leader.
    They probably got shouted at enough by Samsung...

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 12:08 PM
    Makes sense lol. But why would an OEM want to make a Nexus now? These things at $350 barely sell, compared to Samsungs...
    10-15-14 12:10 PM
    IMO...BB and AT&T have positioned this phone as a business phone more liking to the executive class. That being said, it will be targeted to those individuals than the masses wanting a cheap phone. Cheap phones are available everywhere and BB has decided to play in the arena of businesses than individual consumer pricing plans. Now I expect small business owners to have issue with the price, but they tend to purchase on the consumer end anyway.

But the huge variable here (already pointed out) is that AT&T has made not official announcement and therefore pricing can change and probably will based on the demand ahead of the announcement. The official sales numbers from BB around the world could have an effect as well.
    10-15-14 12:22 PM
    I wonder if the Amazon and shopBB price will hold when AT&T release the PP? Somethings tells me the price will go up.
    10-15-14 12:24 PM
    I wonder if the Amazon and shopBB price will hold when AT&T release the PP? Somethings tells me the price will go up.
    Likely,.. they may use it as a bargaining chip to convince them to have demos in store.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 12:26 PM
    BlackBerry does not own AT&T. The carrier is free to set whatever contract price they want. This is why the prices vary in Canada depending on the carrier. A carrier will try getting as much as they can for the phone.
    10-15-14 12:52 PM
    Maybe the Passport is more expensive for AT&T relative to previous Blackberry models because AT&T is purchasing fewer units.

Posted via CB10
    With 60% profit declines, who cares what Samsung thinks?

I think Google wanted to award the Nexus to its subsidiary, Motorola, before it had sold it off and Motorola is not great with cost control. Not looking forward to Nexus 6.
    10-15-14 12:53 PM
38 12