Whereas, I, Humphrind, am a very lazy person who often passes by posts that are disputable because I do not wish to put the time into disputing.

And whereas, I am currently using older than old websites to dispute this claim.

Therefore, this claim has been disputed, hopefully to the posters liking.

I found this from a very ancient article. It gives a slightly higher than $8 listing. But I hope you realize that 1) Costs have come down since 2006. 2) even if this is the accurate cost, the difference is not negating the arguement.

Unmaking Motorola's Q

08-03-09 03:52 PM
    it's not as if I'm typing you from my Electronics lab offshore as the Electronics Officer onboard my ship.
    Speaking of lazy me. I didn't have the effort to take this quote and print the graphic where your profile location states SW Kansas. Seems that your comment is sarcastic. But not when your location is even more landlocked than I am.
    08-03-09 05:13 PM
    ty hump,

even lazier me, 9yrs in Air Force communications followed by 15yrs semiconductor development and management experience (actually making communicatons I.C. thingies) couldn't be bothered..

and even if for some reason SW Kansas is now an ocean with a ship with an electronics officer...such officer would have zero knowledge of the cost of making things... after all, polishing shoes, ordering people about and paying $400 for a hammer is hardly applicable experience...well, except here..lol..

Speaking of lazy me. I didn't have the effort to take this quote and print the graphic where your profile location states SW Kansas. Seems that your comment is sarcastic. But not when your location is even more landlocked than I am.
    08-03-09 07:03 PM
    It is a very good observation that I live in S.W. Kansas. I have a couple of observations to add as well:
    First, I concede to your point that it might be confusing to one that I live in S.W. Kansas, yet I am not posting from there. As a matter of fact, all of my fellow Merchant Mariners reside at locations rather than onboard our ship when they are off tour. Yes I know it sounds preposterous but we really do have homes and lives of our own when we are not on tour. I would like to point out the invention of various modes of transportation that makes this possible. One of particular interest would be the �airplane�. Fixed-wing aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia With this airplane, one can fly from work to home and back by purchasing "tickets" to ride. As I do not buy my own tickets, I do not currently know or care what my company pays to transport me in such wondrous vehicles. Another mode of transportation would be the "helicopter". Helicopter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Ahhh yes, the helicopter is the ideal mode of transportation to take one from the beach to any offshore destination or vice versa. i.e. the helicopter pad directly above the Bridge of our ship. As one would note by reading about the helicopter, it is markedly different from the airplane in its ability to ascend and land in a completely vertical orientation. Whereas, I too am feeling sarcastic yet lazy, I have let wikipedia�s vast knowledge base of said vehicles introduce you to many of their features and traditional applications.
    Humphrind, kudos to you for the insight brought forth by the article from Business Week, 2006 about the original Motorola Q. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the actual cost of the wifi radio on the Motorola Q, as broken down by Business Week? It seems to be lacking any information about the onboard wifi costs associated with the device. May I be so cunning as to go out on a limb here and point out that the original Q never had wifi?
    Now Hump, I appreciate your wit and I am glad you posted this follow up. I am taking the article you referenced for what it�s worth and I wholeheartedly concede to the fact that cell phone manufactures produce devices and sell them at a profit, mostly to carriers. I still feel that they were keeping costs down in not pushing Blackberry to develop the phone with wifi up front. I also feel like they didn�t want to lose a lot of customers to another provider that was willing to take a stripped down phone to get it to the market sooner. To be honest, I couldn�t care less about the actual topic at hand. I dunno about you Hump but I tire of seeing people make up absurd statements and touting them as facts in order to justify their mal-content views. It irks me to see someone like that kid show up and mislead the good forum members by spouting BS all over like they�re an expert. When I first signed up to this website a very knowledgeable forum member walked me through some of the problems I couldn�t find answers to in the threads. I�d like to pay that favor forward and continue to learn about the technology as its become sort of a hobby when I�m away from home and have time. If there is an antithesis to this kind of knowledge sharing, it would be in the form of this BS spouting, unhappy kid.
    08-03-09 07:55 PM
    I really appreciate the sincerity of your above post. Others may make fun of me as naive, But I really think that your entire comment was polite and sincere. Thank you.

Again. I am taking that 1 point of your post
    it's not as if I'm typing you from my Electronics lab offshore as the Electronics Officer onboard my ship.
    as ironic because your location was just about the most land-locked location it could have read. And your post was, in fact, ironic.

As for the other. What I was looking for was iSuppli's site that breaks down the cost for every component in a phone. I went half-heartedly (again, I'm non-motivated) to their site to look for a number to tag onto the WiFi chip in cell phones. I didn't find it. [isuppli is a company that breaks down the raw costs of electronics] What I did find was an article that was 3 years old. But I didn't think the article was useless. Otherwise I wouldn't have referenced it.

I will not pretend that I know any more than other people. And when they claim they are IT professionals, I know that I am over-matched. But I have read stuff. Maybe... on rare occasion... I read something that was written by someone that knows more than me and you combined. (actual math is "your knowledge + .3")
    08-03-09 09:06 PM
    Lol at what this thread turned into :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 11:21 PM
    I live in the most southern end of california (Imperial Valley) its between Yuma and San Diego, we get NO EVDO, or even strong regular sprint service at times. Just got an 8330 and its very slow without wifi. My mogul hauled **** at hot spots..Still love my 8330 though
    08-04-09 02:25 AM
    I really appreciate the sincerity of your above post. Others may make fun of me as naive, But I really think that your entire comment was polite and sincere. Thank you.
    I was being sincere Hump. I think we are on the same page. Before this side track I was trying to coax some validity out of a claim that was made by a supposed forum expert. I'm with you- I'm not a mathematics expert and don't claim to be. I just found it ridiculous that a supposed expert can come throw exact pricing for parts and logistics at me in a retort but can't back up the claim with any valid sourcing. I mean surely this would be easily validated by someone with such a fantastic amount of professional experience in the market, right? Anyway, I've pretty much helped negate the point of this thread and it's evident that this can't be backed up. I need to quit now and back off before I start hurting feelings of people not involved.
    Last edited by bigwill5150; 08-04-09 at 08:41 AM.
    08-04-09 07:06 AM
    Settle down children!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 07:27 AM
    save wifi for laptops i say
    08-05-09 05:22 PM
    save wifi for laptops i say
    I would agree with you for 95% of the time. I would like to see the Tour with Wi-Fi. I travel out of country for business a few times a month and some of the airlines offer in-flight wi-fi. It would be nice to have wi-fi to get your data/emails with while you are on 10+ hour flights. A Laptop will do the job, but it is a long time to keep it on your tray or on your lap.
    08-06-09 01:52 AM
    In-flight WiFi?! Holy... that's pretty impressive.

I agree with both sides. I'd love to have WiFi on my BB, yet I want to keep all the battery life that berries are notorious for. I make do with carrying my laptop when I'm going somewhere... and for those times when I need to jam something into my pocket, I carry my BB and *coughipod*... it gets the simple emails out and I'm still able to check websites if I'm in a pinch. I still want to have a WiFi enabled BB though - I got used to it when I tried a HTC 6800 (only had it for about 2 months though. Battery life sucked, horrible OS, the thing was HUGE, ect ect...)

Anyways, I hope that RIM comes up with a WiFi enabled CDMA phone... I know I'd upgrade from my Curve.

Cheers.
    08-07-09 02:07 AM
    Which applications on a bb could be used via wifi ?
    09-13-09 08:45 PM
    I didn't believe it either but if it's worthy of printing in the Onion, it must be true, right?

theonion com/content/node/30089]Congress Erases Federal Deficit Using Don Lapre 'Making Money' System | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Enjoy

VomeApopamy!
    11-11-09 09:48 PM
    my question is why does sprint/rim refuse to make available a bb that has wifi that allows calls? i have the tour but not going to buy a tour 2 unless i can make calls over wifi. its not enough just to be able to check emails.
    11-13-09 03:17 PM
    Hi all

I am newbie and need some help with few cases, hope to find here answers to my questions.
    Great website and many interesting topics. (:
    11-26-09 11:05 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD