I was looking to try out BBMaps on my AT&T Curve 8310... but it seems that BBMaps will not work with AT&T. BBMaps has a note on their website that says that BBMaps isn't available to run on the AT&T network.

Why won't it run on AT&T? Or will it really run, but the folks at AT&T just try to discourage customers from running it in favor of subscribing to TeleNav?
    07-19-08 09:09 AM
    I think if you do a search of this forum, you will find that its more the 2nd than the first. You could just download Google Maps and be done with it. Google Maps
    07-19-08 10:33 AM
    do a search for the thread: Missing BlackBerry maps menu shortcut
    (I can't post URLs yet due to forum restrictions)
    this will answer your question.

you can run the bbmaps on AT&T (although I haven't had a chance to test it's performance).

Remember BBMaps and TeleNav are GPS applications and Google Maps Mobile is based on cell tower location.

Right now I have all 3 plus a Tom Tom unit. I really have no excuse for getting lost.
    07-19-08 12:15 PM
    I was looking to try out BBMaps on my AT&T Curve 8310... but it seems that BBMaps will not work with AT&T. BBMaps has a note on their website that says that BBMaps isn't available to run on the AT&T network.

Why won't it run on AT&T? Or will it really run, but the folks at AT&T just try to discourage customers from running it in favor of subscribing to TeleNav?
    I have BB Maps on my AT&T Curve 8310 and it seems to work fine. I haven't really spent a lot of time figuring out how to use it, but I have tried it out a couple of times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 12:46 PM
    Well on the bright side, you've got rollover minutes!

07-19-08 07:27 PM
    i used to get some problem here the solution : i just copy paste. i forgot the original source coz i copy paste n save it to my pc:

This has been explained many times but is buried in hundreds of pages of posts. Here is a tutorial for "unlocking" BBMaps on AT&T and a few other carrier devices.

Question: The BBMaps icon will not show on my device. I see BlackberryMaps in my application list but can’t find it on my device.

Answer: AT&T and some other European carriers, including Orange, have decided that they make more money selling mapping subscriptions than allowing you access to BBMaps. Here is how to make BBMaps show on your device with 4.2 and higher OS:
    � Make sure you have Desktop Manager installed to your PC. It can be downloaded from here
    � Make sure that the OS is installed to your PC. The OS’s downloads for each carrier can be found here
    � Delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    � Find the LBS.alx file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8700-v4.2.1.96_P2.3.0.79. Note: The folder name under Loader Files may differ depending on the OS version installed on your device
    � Open the LBS.alx file with a text editor such as WordPad.
    � Scroll down until you find lines similar to this: (Note: each devices version may have differing lines of code.)
    <!-- For 8800 series, hide the icon for Cingular (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~102|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217" series="8800">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- For non-8800 series, show the icon for all carriers except Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8800">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs_internal_gps.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs_resource_en.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    � Remove all references to “_vendorID=…..” and device codes. Remove the text in bold as shown above and leave the > symbol at the end.

The above code would be changed to the following:

<!-- For 8800 series, hide the icon for Cingular (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- For non-8800 series, show the icon for all carriers except Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs_internal_gps.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs_resource_en.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

Save the file with the same LBS.alx name.

Again, each devices .alx is slightly different but removing any references to vendor codes and device codes in the lines as above will do the trick.
    � Now plug in the BB, open Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. Make sure BBMaps is checked and continue through to finish the process.
    � BBMaps should now have an icon on your home screen.
    Please let me know if there is anything missing from the above steps.

If editing the above makes you nervous or you don't want to attempt it you can download pre-edited .alx file from this link. Simply find your device and OS version number and download the .zip files with the included .alx's. Simply replace your .alx's with the new ones and run Application Loader in Desktop Manager

http://forums.crackberry.com/f33/how...ur-8800-a-254/
    Last edited by edgart; 07-21-08 at 08:43 AM.
    07-20-08 09:51 PM
    Thanks for the info edgart, but removing the vendor codes will only work with OS 4.2. After upgrading to OS 4.5, I figured out how to get the BBMaps icon to show up (which took some searching of code and inserting a line that was omitted), but when the application is started a nice splash screen shows up that says "Maps has been disabled."

Now, if you know a workaround for that, I'm all ears.
    07-21-08 02:30 AM
    Thanks for the info edgart, but removing the vendor codes will only work with OS 4.2. After upgrading to OS 4.5, I figured out how to get the BBMaps icon to show up (which took some searching of code and inserting a line that was omitted), but when the application is started a nice splash screen shows up that says "Maps has been disabled."

Now, if you know a workaround for that, I'm all ears.
    I found this on the BlackBerry forums and it worked for me- deleting a service book and inserting an old 4.2 BB maps in the Java folder. Not too complicated. Give it a try.

BB Maps w/ AT&T on OS 4.5
    08-02-08 11:58 PM
    I found this on the BlackBerry forums and it worked for me- deleting a service book and inserting an old 4.2 BB maps in the Java folder. Not too complicated. Give it a try.

BB Maps w/ AT&T on OS 4.5
    This works well.
    08-03-08 02:08 PM
    I will have to try this. Thanks for the post!
    08-04-08 01:12 AM
    do a search for the thread: Missing BlackBerry maps menu shortcut
    (I can't post URLs yet due to forum restrictions)
    this will answer your question.

you can run the bbmaps on AT&T (although I haven't had a chance to test it's performance).

Remember BBMaps and TeleNav are GPS applications and Google Maps Mobile is based on cell tower location.

Right now I have all 3 plus a Tom Tom unit. I really have no excuse for getting lost.
    google maps is not just based on cell tower location. if your phone has gps, google maps will use that just like bbmpas or telenav does, however if u dont have gps in ur phone or a gps device connected to ur phone, google maps will then resort to cell tower information to figure out ur location.

heres a quote from google maps mobile site "Determine your current location with or without GPS"
    Google Mobile - Maps

by the way, of the 3 apps u have on ur bb, which do u prefer?
    08-04-08 02:11 AM
    This works well.
    Yes, I did it and love it! This is why I'm loving my BlackBerry and Crackberry more and more everyday. The available support and customization for these phones is incredible.
    08-04-08 01:31 PM
    Well, I am having the same problem with BB Maps. Cannot find net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod. Is there something else I need to do to get it to show up. I have installed, uninstalled, battery pull, install, battery pull, no luck. Can anyone send this file to me. Google maps shows location within 3000 meters even with GPS on. Tellme and Live Mobile Search cannot connect to gps for some reason. Still researching. Thanks for any help.
    08-05-08 01:15 PM
    Go in and delete the service book for BBMaps. Then remove them completely from the applications list on DM. "highlight, and click delete".
    Reboot the device. Connect to DM, and re-install from the downloaded file attached below. This method worked for me. The newer version of maps that comes with 4.5, has to be servicebook controlled. And the older version does not. When you remove both from the DM's install list, and replace it with the downloaded version, it should make it show up. Good luck..."

The above quote has gotten my BBmaps to work on 4.5 and i'm sure it can get yours working again too...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 8310
    08-07-08 07:46 PM
    This work with my 8800 with 4.5 OS, Thanks!
    09-05-08 12:32 AM
    Google maps shows location within 3000 meters even with GPS on. Tellme and Live Mobile Search cannot connect to gps for some reason. Still researching. Thanks for any help.
    My experience with google maps on my ATT 8110 is that the device needs a clear view to the sky when starting the app to pick up GPS satellites (this is the case with other GPS apps I've used as well, i.e. where and GPSed) for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. once it locks on to the satellites, it stays on them fairly well, but will not update positon well when inside buildings. It seems to do fine riding around in my pocket in standby mode, as long as I'm outside or in a car.

My experience with the cell-tower triangulation on google maps is that it is usually reasonably close, but only about 50% of the time am I actually within the 'circle' that it thinks I am.

MB
    09-06-08 08:18 AM
    Go in and delete the service book for BBMaps. Then remove them completely from the applications list on DM. "highlight, and click delete".
    Reboot the device. Connect to DM, and re-install from the downloaded file attached below. This method worked for me. The newer version of maps that comes with 4.5, has to be servicebook controlled. And the older version does not. When you remove both from the DM's install list, and replace it with the downloaded version, it should make it show up. Good luck..."

The above quote has gotten my BBmaps to work on 4.5 and i'm sure it can get yours working again too...

yes this worked for me as well and is not hard .i deleted the version bb maps that came from 4.5 ,deleted the service book .downloaded the 1.23 from bb attached to dm an voila bb maps on phone and working well .thanks.i could not get google to work and i refuse to pay att for telenav .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 8310
    well done i like my bb maps work well
    09-13-08 01:41 AM

My 8310
    Can someone explain this with a little more detail? Where do you find the service books? And how do replace the ones you delete with the downloaded file?
    09-29-08 09:58 AM
    This I would like better understanding as well.

09-29-08 09:39 PM
    Can someone explain this with a little more detail? Where do you find the service books? And how do replace the ones you delete with the downloaded file?
    This I would like better understanding as well.

Service books are located in options/advanced options/service books. Go here and delete the BB Map service books. Connect device to DM and go to applications and highlight and delete BB maps. Then reboot your device(BB) and connect to DM and install the file you should have downloaded from the original post. BB Maps 4.?.

You should have BB Maps. If you still can't figure it out pm me. Hope this helps.
    09-30-08 12:25 AM
    My experience with google maps on my ATT 8110 is that the device needs a clear view to the sky when starting the app to pick up GPS satellites (this is the case with other GPS apps I've used as well, i.e. where and GPSed) for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes. once it locks on to the satellites, it stays on them fairly well, but will not update positon well when inside buildings. It seems to do fine riding around in my pocket in standby mode, as long as I'm outside or in a car.

My experience with the cell-tower triangulation on google maps is that it is usually reasonably close, but only about 50% of the time am I actually within the 'circle' that it thinks I am.

MB
    Thanks Mainiak. I figured out out my problem about ten minutes after I posted and should've deleted. I realized google maps was using gps until I turned it off. lol
    09-30-08 12:29 AM

My 8310

I tried this. When my BB boots with maps from OS 4.2 installed (and the service book deleted), I get an "Uncaught Exception - Java Language Illegal Argument Exception" error, and there is no BB maps icon, even though it is installed. Reinstalling the original (from OS 4.5) version of BB maps and re-sending the service books returns things to normal, (no error, but I still cannot use BB maps).

I am running OS 4.5.0.81. Do you suppose the newer OS 4.5 versions are intentionally making is harder to get BB maps working (i.e., vast ATT / RIM international conspiracy)?
    09-30-08 05:12 PM
    So far running OS 4.5, this is the only way I've found to get BB Maps going and that is to use the older 4.2 version of it. But I did get it to work, so here is what I did.

First: uninstall BBMaps, delete the rogue service book (Options>>Advanced>>Service Books>> delete the one that says Blackberry Maps)

Second:
    Load an older version of BB Maps. Replace the LBS.alx file with the file from a 4.2 installation and copy all of the modules (cod files) with "lbs" in them from the 4.2 installation to the 4.5 java folder. In my case, this is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.99_P2.7.0.84\Java Then run app manager to load it back in.

Jim
    11-18-08 08:39 AM

My 8310
    THIS WORKED GREAT FOR ME THANKS
    JY
    11-26-08 02:18 PM
    Now that AT&T has released official OS 4.5, does BBMaps 4.5 work?
    12-12-08 11:17 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD