I know BlackBerry and T-mobile are not the best of friends these days but BlackBerry continues to shoot itself in the foot. I thought they were serious about wanting to sell phones. There are only 2 GSM carriers in the USA. If I want to buy an unlocked phone from BlackBerry I want it to be fully compatible with BOTH GSM carriers. First BlackBerry goofed with the Passport by not including Band 12 LTE. Then they goofed again by not including Band 12 LTE with the Classic. Now they did it again by leaving out Band 12 LTE on the LEAP! T-Mobile is in the middle of a huge network build-out across the country and Band 2 and Band 12 will be a bigger and bigger part of that build-out. (By the way, the Z30 -5 does not have Band 2 LTE). I just saw a Motorola MOTO E for $149.00 brand new and unlocked and it has ALL the GSM LTE Bands for the USA and it's Way cheaper than the LEAP. I really wanted to buy the LEAP and use it on T-mobile but without Band 12, I now am reconsidering it. Really BlackBerry, how hard would it have been to include that band?
    04-03-15 09:45 PM
    I know BlackBerry and T-mobile are not the best of friends these days but BlackBerry continues to shoot itself in the foot. I thought they were serious about wanting to sell phones. There are only 2 GSM carriers in the USA. If I want to buy an unlocked phone from BlackBerry I want it to be fully compatible with BOTH GSM carriers. First BlackBerry goofed with the Passport by not including Band 12 LTE. Then they goofed again by not including Band 12 LTE with the Classic. Now they did it again by leaving out Band 12 LTE on the LEAP! T-Mobile is in the middle of a huge network build-out across the country and Band 2 and Band 12 will be a bigger and bigger part of that build-out. (By the way, the Z30 -5 does not have Band 2 LTE). I just saw a Motorola MOTO E for $149.00 brand new and unlocked and it has ALL the GSM LTE Bands for the USA and it's Way cheaper than the LEAP. I really wanted to buy the LEAP and use it on T-mobile but without Band 12, I now am reconsidering it. Really BlackBerry, how hard would it have been to include that band?
    Get what you need not what you want.
    lift likes this.
    04-03-15 10:19 PM
    Good question OP. I don't think it would have increased the price at all.
    lift likes this.
    04-03-15 10:26 PM
    Good question OP. I don't think it would have increased the price at all.
    Thanks. I really see no reason to leave that band out. Especially on the newest device (Leap). I was blown away by how many LTE bands all the new BlackBerry's have. Leaving out Band 12 will force many people on T-Mobile to look to other devices that support that band.
    For those that don't know, Band 12 is a 700 MHz band which will greatly help T-Mobile in rural areas and help with home and building penetration. AT&T and Verizon use a 700 MHz band for that exact reason. I'm just really frustrated because I really wanted the Leap and use it on T-mobile. I just wish BlackBerry would stop making stupid decisions that hurt their ability to sell devices.
    04-04-15 09:15 AM
    I just saw a Motorola MOTO E for $149.00 brand new and unlocked
    You can buy a Cricket Moto E for as low as $50 and I believe it unlocks cheaply as well.

www[DOT]walmart[DOT]com/ip/Cricket-Motorola-Moto-E-Prepaid-Smartphone/40712746?u1=&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=wX4KZ60yyg0& sourceid=27507223443809337988&affillinktype=10&veh =aff
    04-04-15 09:23 AM
    Hmmm. Sad I thought I saw it would support it. Yeah I need to look at a Z30 replacement because T-Mobile is deploying more 1900 MHZ LTE and the STA100-5 doesn't support it. BlackBerry never made the STA100-1 which was supposed to be the model that would support AT&T and T-Mobile LTE.

All this combined with BlackBerry not having a Z30 upgrade device might be forcing me to leave after being with them for seven years and not really wanting to leave.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 10:24 AM
    They did it to AT&T users wanting to use the Z30 too. Several different devices but not one of them has AT&T's largest LTE band.
    lift likes this.
    04-04-15 10:58 AM
    I just don't get it. Does BlackBerry research the two GSM carriers in the USA before they make their phones? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure BlackBerry doesn't want to do T-Mobile any favors after the way they were treated by them. But if you want to sell phones, make them compatible with both carriers. Not rocket science.
    The Z30 is a fantastic phone but it is crippled on AT&T and now it is quickly going to be crippled on T-mobile. No reason to buy a Z30 now.
    04-04-15 02:17 PM
    I just don't get it. Does BlackBerry research the two GSM carriers in the USA before they make their phones? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure BlackBerry doesn't want to do T-Mobile any favors after the way they were treated by them. But if you want to sell phones, make them compatible with both carriers. Not rocket science.
    The Z30 is a fantastic phone but it is crippled on AT&T and now it is quickly going to be crippled on T-mobile. No reason to buy a Z30 now.
    You ask a question that has long bothered me. There really is no compelling device for AT&T users right now if they don't want a keyboard. I bought a Passport but would get rid of it in an instance because I hate having a physical keyboard. I also have a Z30 but hate using it when I don't have wifi because its crippled and I don't get LTE on it. I'm seriously supposed to use a phone in 2015 with no LTE? I won't go back to the Z10 because of the pathetic battery life so I really don't have an option. I might try the leap just to see how it is but I still feel like its taking a step backwards just to get what every phone has in this day and age, which is LTE.
    04-04-15 02:29 PM
    You ask a question that has long bothered me. There really is no compelling device for AT&T users right now if they don't want a keyboard. I bought a Passport but would get rid of it in an instance because I hate having a physical keyboard. I also have a Z30 but hate using it when I don't have wifi because its crippled and I don't get LTE on it. I'm seriously supposed to use a phone in 2015 with no LTE? I won't go back to the Z10 because of the pathetic battery life so I really don't have an option. I might try the leap just to see how it is but I still feel like its taking a step backwards just to get what every phone has in this day and age, which is LTE.
    Yeah, the Leap has all the LTE bands for AT&T and most LTE bands for T-mobile. So for an all touch phone, it's the Leap or nothing from BlackBerry. I want the Leap. I just feel like it's a big compromise. The only really good thing about it is the Battery.
    04-04-15 02:41 PM
    I have a z30 -5 on att and have no LTE this isn't right they should make the lte bands for us z30 users and don't tell there isn't a difference between 4G and lte
    04-08-15 08:08 PM
    I agree. I think it was a major flop for BlackBerry not to make a Z30 that covered AT&T and T-Mobile's LTE bands in one device. They made 6 versions of the Z30 and the one that covered both T-Mobile's and AT&T's LTE bands was never released. The STA100-1 should have been the unlocked version BlackBerry would sell directly instead of the STA100-5 which is almost useless in the USA. With no LTE band 2, 17, or 12. It just amazes me how BlackBerry keeps making stupid mistakes with their products over and over.
    Imagine how many STA100-1 Z30's they would have sold to T-mobile and AT&T customers.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-15 11:34 AM