I've searched the forums seen acouple of people having issues connecting but that's not my case, I can connect my wifi symbol is bright white and my connection is at 20megs so it aint my connection, what's the deal with this slowness?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 12:42 AM
    are you sure its not your router? What kind is it and is it B, G, N? Oh and how far away from the router are you?
    Last edited by paulwright1; 11-16-09 at 01:24 AM.
    11-16-09 01:21 AM
    n and its suppose to be for long range, the router is right in the next room, I don't have any problems with my laptop

11-16-09 01:29 AM
    sometimes blackberries run slower on Wifi (browser wise), not really sure why to be honest i remember seeing tests of a Bold running slower on Wifi than on 3G (and the reviewer stating nothing other than the iphone it was running against was sharing the connection)
    11-16-09 01:37 AM
    My BB runs fast on wifi. Its seems pretty close to 3G if not faster in my area.
    11-16-09 01:47 AM
    Maybe its just my expectations of ”wifi” were to high. My fiancé just got on it and she said that I'm crazy an that its fast! Ha ha

Last edited by SamsfamouS; 11-16-09 at 02:10 AM.
    11-16-09 01:55 AM
    Wifi usually won't speed up your browser very much but it will greatly increase your download speeds. At least it did on my bold. I have not used wifi much at home yet with my storm because I have better service with Verizon than att at my house.

11-16-09 02:54 AM
    I've been having the same problem. I'm fully connected to Wifi but my browsing AND download speeds are about the same as 3G. And then the Myspace and Facebook apps don't load up content any faster, as I would expect it to do if connected thru Wifi.
    Seriously, if the Wifi isn't going to have speed that is faster than the network, what's the point of adding it?
    11-16-09 02:59 AM
    Are you using the hotspot browser?
    11-16-09 08:40 AM
    I'm able to d/l files a lot faster via WiFi as compared to 3G, but as far as browsing is concerned if you're still using the native browser (like I am... don't like the Opera implementation) then browsing will be just about as sucky on WiFi as on 3G. Come on Webkit!
    11-16-09 08:42 AM
    wireless security can also greatly degrade the speed on your connection. the higher the security is (WPA2, etc), the slower it will get due to encryption process on the data going back and forth between the router and your phone
    11-16-09 08:51 AM
    Ok what's the difference of hotspot/internet browser?

11-16-09 09:07 AM
    Vzw reported a browser related service issue yesterday. So even if you were using wifi, if you were using the BB default browser, you should have experienced shotty if not no service. The work around was opera and wifi. Not sure if you are reporting wifi problems over the past 24 hours, but if you are, I just wanted to make you aware.

11-16-09 09:28 AM
    Does anyone else get shotty reception with theirs? I connected to an AP last night and only had 1-2 bars at any given time. My buddy with the 3GS had full connection.
    11-16-09 10:59 AM
    Vzw reported a browser related service issue yesterday. So even if you were using wifi, if you were using the BB default browser, you should have experienced shotty if not no service. The work around was opera and wifi. Not sure if you are reporting wifi problems over the past 24 hours, but if you are, I just wanted to make you aware.

Thanks. I had the same problem last night. Good, or not so good as the case may be, to know.

11-16-09 11:11 AM
    last night was probably the first time I've had a problem wirh vzw service. Nice to know I could go to Opera and wifi for silly fast mobile web.

11-16-09 11:14 AM
    Yeah - having some difficulty with range. But I haven't figured out how to see the db of the signal strength?
    11-16-09 11:20 AM
    Very disappointed with wifi speeds on Storm 2. My 3G is faster than wifi a lot of times and I only have 1 to 2 bars at home. I have tested the wifi at countless hotspots and hotels and friends wifi all with the same result. Last test at home with xtremelabs speedtest is:

Connection Type: Carrier 3G wifi off
    Avg. Download Speed: 1737.91Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 1737.91Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 29.79Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 83.36Kbits/s

Connection Type: Wifi no 3G
    Avg. Download Speed: 1592.27Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 1592.27Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 629.0Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 833.33Kbits/s

Wifi should blow away 3G speeds. It is doing it on uploads but not downloads.

A friend using his laptop and Verizon MiFi against my laptop and home cable modem WiFi was no contest.

Hopefully it is something they can be tweaked and fixed through software.
    11-16-09 01:25 PM
    sorry for the the noob question, but what is opera cause my internet is pretty slow. Also can i download adobe player threw my phone what browser do i select???
    11-16-09 01:36 PM
    Opera Mini is an alternate web browser. There is also Opera Mini beta 5 also but it has some issues to work out. It is a faster browser than the BB one but it isn't designed specifically for the Storm so there are some minor issues you have with the touch screen when selecting things. Adobe players won't work on phones at this time. It is coming in the hopefully not so distant future.

Download link for Opera mini 4.2 is http://mini.opera.com/
    11-16-09 01:47 PM
    Ok what's the difference of hotspot/internet browser?

From my understanding, "hotspot" browser is what you should use when connected to wifi...it bypasses any BIS/BES proxies, which should speed up page load times.
    11-16-09 02:01 PM
    I didn't even know there was a HotSpot Browser option. Now I see it in the option menu in the Browser. This will be great if it works. Thanks for this info.
    11-16-09 02:04 PM
    I've searched the forums seen acouple of people having issues connecting but that's not my case, I can connect my wifi symbol is bright white and my connection is at 20megs so it aint my connection, what's the deal with this slowness?

Hello,

I just bought my BB2 and updated the OS but I have a same problem with my wi-fi I could not connect with my own network Open or Secured dont matter . I contacted RIM yesterday and I spent about 2 hours and couldnt resolve it he told me to find a open wi-fi signal that I can use and maybe it was my network that causing the problem. I told him that I have 3 laptops, psp and dsi connected to my network. DSI actualy connected secured with no problem what so ever.. If you have same problem or any advise please let me know. Wi-fi is not a big deal for me but I can use it at work when my signal is very weak. Thank you
    11-16-09 02:10 PM
    Here is mineon my 8900 and WiFi.
    11-16-09 09:50 PM
    even though you're connected to your own wifi, everything is still routed thru blackberry's servers ... turn your cell's radio off, leave the wifi on ... google for one of those website that shows your ip addy ... it'll show a blackberry ip.
    11-17-09 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD