09-19-09 09:04 PM
132 ... 456
tools
    i have an unlimited data plan and full service everywhere i go but the 3g vs wifi speeds are not comparable wifi is so much faster.
    09-18-09 01:20 AM
    Probably someone said it already, but WiFi is much better than 3G if we're talking of battery life. Sure the BlackBerry smartphones are very battery friendly, but 3G is not. To me I would rather surf the Internet on my BlackBerry using GPRS/EDGE and not 3G, because even if I must wait a slight bit more to get to the data I'm looking for, the battery life will ultimately decide in the end which is the better option. GPRS/EDGE wins here hands down. The problem however is when it comes to big downloads. Of course this begs the question, what is big anyways? To me anything between 2MB to 10MB is great enough in size to be called a big file. The BlackBerry is, just like any other smartphone out there, a smartphone. Sure you can have up to 16GB storage space with your MicroSDHC card, but the BlackBerry still isn't a full fledged computer. Anyways, the problem are these so-called big downloads. If 3G is a battery killer and GPRS/EDGE just too darn slow, what is the next best option out there? WiFi. This is where it really shines. Also, WiFi means gold to people in countries with operators who do not support BlackBerry (like me).
    09-19-09 02:19 PM
    You probably haven't looked at the speed of your downloads on a computer, have you.
    I'm a computer engineer working in silicon valley on wireless and mobile devices. Sooooo yeah.

With all the different wireless data formats/methods (EV-DO, EV-DO rev. A, 1x, GPRS, EDGE, WCDMA, HSPA), and with your home internet service, that number you see, be it 1mbps or 100mbps as one service up here north of the border claims to offer, is the absolute maximum spike speed of your internet connection.
    Uh huh?

It will obviously vary due to coverage and location, but it means that that's how fast your connection CAN get. Odds are, under the vast majority of circumstances, you won't get those speeds even on the absolute best conditions for more than a half a second at most.
    Sure, didn't say otherwise.

Also to note, WiFi is a much more stable connection than 3G or EV-DO.
    Definitely not always true.. but okay.

Now, you are correct in saying that as far as processing speed goes, yeah, it's all going to take the same amount of time to process.
    No I didn't say that.. at all. I don't think you're technical enough to follow what I was trying to say. What I was saying is that if your real world speed is only as fast as your platform can process it. If your maximum speed to process data over a bus is 2 mb/s then if you're on 3G or HSDPA+ it won't matter.

Here's the thing. If I am someone who views a fair amount of footage on my mobile device, which will stream better? Yes, the buffer can only read so fast, but if the next bit of data is there waiting for the buffer to be ready to take it, video will perform better, will it not? If I wish to download a song or application (I understand, apps for BB are much smaller, but I'm used to WinMo at the moment so bear with me) that is over 3MB, which will get it to me faster? A connection that varies between 512-1024 kbps with more tendancy toward the 1024 and the odd spike up to 7mbps? or a connection that tends to be all of 400-800 kbps with an incredibly rare spike to 3mbps?
    Absolutely.. there is a place for wifi I don't deny that.

This is why there is WiFi. It means that people can get larger files quicker than they would on their wireless service provider's network, and for some it even means they have service where they had no service before (by way of voice-over-WiFi or for their data usages). For those in places where unlimited data plans are unavailable, it means we can use more data rather than have to pay obscene charges to our service providers for going over our usage limit. And for wireless networks, it actually can lessen the strain on their service and buy them extra time to bolster up their wireless data capabilities... *cough cough hack* AT&T *cough cough hack wheeze cough*
    And you are absolutely right about the "strain" on the networks.. this is a great point.
    09-19-09 07:20 PM
    You probably haven't looked at the speed of your downloads on a computer, have you.

With all the different wireless data formats/methods (EV-DO, EV-DO rev. A, 1x, GPRS, EDGE, WCDMA, HSPA), and with your home internet service, that number you see, be it 1mbps or 100mbps as one service up here north of the border claims to offer, is the absolute maximum spike speed of your internet connection. It will obviously vary due to coverage and location, but it means that that's how fast your connection CAN get. Odds are, under the vast majority of circumstances, you won't get those speeds even on the absolute best conditions for more than a half a second at most.
    I frequently get the maximum promised connection on my internet. In fact when I had 13 megabit internet I was actually getting 13.6 megabit at times. I sure miss that 1.7 megabyte a second downloading...
    09-19-09 07:22 PM
    I frequently get the maximum promised connection on my internet. In fact when I had 13 megabit internet I was actually getting 13.6 megabit at times. I sure miss that 1.7 megabyte a second downloading...
    Yeah I dont know why he put in the home internet connection. I've had DSL, Cable modem and fiber to the home now and I've always found the remote server to be the limiting factor, not my home connection. Your connection is only as fast as the remote location. I've always been able to max my connection out. I don't know of anyone who can't. If you are.. then you need to switch ISP's
    09-19-09 07:28 PM
    I enjoy Fiber...lol 20/5....but yes wifi is nice on tmobile cause in my metal building i have no signal but we've got wifi so i can make calls and get email just like i'm on a cell tower...UMA rocks like that
    09-19-09 08:40 PM
    wifi on BB would be better if RIM did a better job in integrating it with the OS. Instead it is up to each app to figure out if it can use wifi or not. Hopefully RIM will release a real OS sooner rather then later.
    09-19-09 09:04 PM
132 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD