09-19-09 09:04 PM
132 1234 ...
tools
    basically anywhere you don't have a strong cell tower signal, there's a good chance wifi could be a useful feature to have. There are many everyday situations where this might come up.
    06-22-09 05:37 PM
    I don't think I'd buy a phone if it didn't have WiFi. Especially if it's not 3G. I will only buy an EDGE-only phone if it has WiFi. I have to have the simultaneous voice/data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 07:26 PM
    I put a much greater emphasis on WiFi than I do 3G...since my heaviest use of my Bold is at work where I have constant WiFi availability, it saves my battery from being too low at the end of the day. It has truly been a lifesaver for me more than once, when my day extended far into the night...and I wasn't in a convenient place to use a wall charger...

I don't think I would ever buy another smart device without WiFi...or 3G for that matter, at least as long as I'm on AT&T service. But, WiFi is a dealbreaker for me.
    06-22-09 08:27 PM
    Yea, all day i'm on a college campus (not really but I like to say I'm there all day) and I need to have WiFi enabled device. It really saves me from doing work. I guess I could always get a netbook or something but nah. NE way its really something I look for in a phone.
    06-22-09 11:21 PM
    To have and not need is better than to need and not have
    06-23-09 12:02 AM
    I like to use it to access files on my home and work network.

06-23-09 01:36 AM
    Even though I don't use it too often wi-fi is definitely a nice feature to have wouldn't buy another phone without it.
    06-23-09 02:12 AM
    Hmm, another rim device with wifi. I don't get the fascination with wifi on gsm devices, as the software always (imho) illegally cripples such apps as all the instant messenger clients, etc from working over it. What's the excitement for what is basically a crippled feature set? If you have the full service package from the cell provider, then there is no need for the wifi.

And even if you use the wifi in spotty service areas when you can't get the internet service you pay extra for, then you are still not able to use aim,msn,yim,googletalk,icq, etc over the wifi network portion without paying for some subpar 3rd party IM client (don't even get me started on having to pay for stuff that should be free in the first place. seems like everything costs on blackberry and alot of it just sucks anyway)

So what is the point of wifi on a blackberry exactly? You are being denied using the full range of the phones ability, as if a ETF isn't predatory enough from a cellphone provider. Are there hacks out there to disable the predatory behavior of cellphone providers/rim from blocking common apps used on wifi, or you just grin and bare it?

I'm not a iphone fanboy, can't really stand them or any of the other phones either. but some aspects of the blackberry universe seem troubling, and this is one of them.

Is the predatory blocking of apps over wifi going to change, or does that harm the cellphone providers that already overcharge and impose bandwith caps while advertising it as unlimited with a million asterisks tacked after the word unlimited?
    do u work for verizon?

wifi is free, its great to have in a phone, and phones without it, well smartphones need to have it now a days, cuz wifi is faster than any network
    06-27-09 12:17 AM
    I don't get great service at my work and the wifi definitely helps. Everywhere else I have service but I just leave wifi on, it's a great feature.
    06-27-09 12:42 AM
    this thread must be from someone who's obviously never used wifi. some of us don't get 3g in certain areas and wifi is very fast. since I've had my bold I've come to terms with the fact that I would never get a phone that doesn't have wifi, if at all possible.
    06-27-09 01:12 AM
    Not only is it very fast, but its faster than 3g. I think it even uses less battery than the 3g radio as well.
    06-27-09 08:29 AM
    Wifi is simply useful when in roaming mode and you don't want to spend on roaming data charges.

06-27-09 08:34 AM
    Not only that, but it does not illegally cripple applications

and you can make calls that are crystal clear over it on Tmobile, and the switch back to your service is seamless, and you can make free international calls on wifi

Verizon keeps it out of their phones, due to the fact they can't really make money off of it.
    06-27-09 09:47 AM
    This is my first phone with wi-fi I came from VZW. I have wi-fi at home and it just blew away. I used to to wonder what the big deal was about it. Now that I have it I must say it very cool to have. I felt boxed in at VZW, but when I learn about how to use my wi-fi, I was hooked. By the way 3G is overrated seriously, I'll take wi-fi over it anyday

07-01-09 10:24 PM
    I have an unlocked Bold on TMO so am unable to utilize 3G. That's the only downside I can see as a TMO customer and that is negated by the Wi-Fi. Need to check into TMO's 3G coverage as that will determine whether or not I get a Driftwood.
    07-02-09 11:34 AM
    Even the guest network blocks almost everything useful where I work. I have WiFi on my tablet, but I tether through my Storm so that I can actually use the Internet. I can see how WiFi might be useful, but I'm never anywhere that it would matter. At home I have PCs. When I'm out I rarely need to do so much surfing that the added speed would make much difference. Every now and then it might be nice, but I'll never pass over a phone due to lack of WiFi.
    07-10-09 02:43 PM
    Aim does work over wifi I believe verizon charges aim as texts so don't lump gsm with that. Wifi offers faster web browsing no network can keep up. A smartphone with no wifi in 2009 is junk.
    Agreed !!!!!!!!!!!
    07-10-09 04:09 PM
    07-10-09 04:20 PM
    Hmm, another rim device with wifi. I don't get the fascination with wifi on gsm devices, as the software always (imho) illegally cripples such apps as all the instant messenger clients, etc from working over it. What's the excitement for what is basically a crippled feature set? If you have the full service package from the cell provider, then there is no need for the wifi.

And even if you use the wifi in spotty service areas when you can't get the internet service you pay extra for, then you are still not able to use aim,msn,yim,googletalk,icq, etc over the wifi network portion without paying for some subpar 3rd party IM client (don't even get me started on having to pay for stuff that should be free in the first place. seems like everything costs on blackberry and alot of it just sucks anyway)

So what is the point of wifi on a blackberry exactly? You are being denied using the full range of the phones ability, as if a ETF isn't predatory enough from a cellphone provider. Are there hacks out there to disable the predatory behavior of cellphone providers/rim from blocking common apps used on wifi, or you just grin and bare it?

I'm not a iphone fanboy, can't really stand them or any of the other phones either. but some aspects of the blackberry universe seem troubling, and this is one of them.

Is the predatory blocking of apps over wifi going to change, or does that harm the cellphone providers that already overcharge and impose bandwith caps while advertising it as unlimited with a million asterisks tacked after the word unlimited?
    I live in an area with **** poor cell service due to a tower being down. You can do a lot of browsing if wifi is available. Some can also use that with no data plan although a lot of apps won't run without the data plan.
    07-10-09 08:54 PM
    I wouldn't buy another smartphone without wifi. That is a feature that is a must have. Personally, I would rather have wifi than 3G. The extra speed when at home or at work is really nice. I don't understand why smartphone manufacturers would release a non wifi phone at this point. Its like releasing a phone wothout GPS. I need wifi. Its the reason why the BlackBerry Tour is not a good buy at this point.

07-11-09 06:43 PM
    I wouldn't buy another smartphone without wifi. That is a feature that is a must have. Personally, I would rather have wifi than 3G. The extra speed when at home or at work is really nice. I don't understand why smartphone manufacturers would release a non wifi phone at this point. Its like releasing a phone wothout GPS. I need wifi. Its the reason why the BlackBerry Tour is not a good buy at this point.

exactly what i was thinking the tour is a good handset but it would be a great one with wifi in todays world any technology that helps you save money or offers an extra convenience should be appreciated not questioned once you have it you will always want it again
    07-11-09 09:30 PM

I thought the tour had wifi. I'll quit drooling now. I was kinda ticked that AT&T doesn't have it. No wifi, that sucks. I just assumed that they did. There's another phone coming down the tubes and it will supposedly have everything, wifi, 3G, 3.2 mp camera etc. Won't do me much good. I just upgraded and to be honest, the 3G wouldn't do me much good where I live and use my phone the most.
    07-12-09 07:03 AM
    Let's not forget it makes Tmo's UMA possible! Love that UMA feature!
    07-12-09 07:01 PM
    Does anyone know if it's even possible to make it switch to WiFi automatically? Or do I have to switch to the WiFi browser manually, everytime I go to work or get home?
    07-28-09 07:36 PM
    why wouldnt you want it.
    07-29-09 12:15 AM
132 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD