I mean why not it comes in handy. I just cant imagine a phone in 2009 without WiFi, and I honestly prefer it over 3G.
    07-29-09 01:04 AM
    Does anyone know if it's even possible to make it switch to WiFi automatically? Or do I have to switch to the WiFi browser manually, everytime I go to work or get home?
    It usually switches automatically
    07-29-09 01:49 AM
    Does anyone know if it's even possible to make it switch to WiFi automatically? Or do I have to switch to the WiFi browser manually, everytime I go to work or get home?
    I know on my 8900, once I set up a spot and save it if its a place I go often, as long as I leave the phone on wifi, it will switch automatically. But you do have to set up new wifi spots and save that spot to your phone.
    07-29-09 07:25 AM
    A BlackBerry is nothing without wifi. That is why the Tour is still less spectacular than the Bold and why the Onyx will be a step ahead.
    07-29-09 12:10 PM
    WiFi is one of the greatest features on a phone. In my situation, as well as many others, T-Mobile reception in my house is terrible, WiFi allows for UMA on my 8900 and that is my FAVORITE part of my 8900
    07-29-09 12:31 PM
    data over wifi consumes less battery than 3G.
    07-29-09 12:35 PM
    Let's not forget it makes Tmo's UMA possible! Love that UMA feature!
    yeah I was wondering about the whole UMA thing. the onyx is gonna be my first bb and first smartphone, and I as I understand it, UMA allows you to use a wifi connection to make calls when you don't have service, correct? and the UMA also allows you to download if you aren't getting 3g or service? basically a wifi connection?

is that right or am i getting it wrong?
    07-29-09 06:57 PM
    you are correct, but you need to pay a little extra for the abililty to make calls over wifi as opposed to just getting on the net
    07-29-09 08:14 PM
    Sorry i have no real use for wifi.
    07-29-09 08:40 PM
    Think of it this way, a LOT of people that have blackberrys travel around the world because they are business men/women. Now, they stay at a hotel and usually if your succesful your in a good hotel and that hotel has wifi. Wouldn't the roaming charges drive you crazy if you were reading those thousands of emails on your carrier.
    Roaming is $0.003 per kb on average for a carrier. Thats $3 per mb. That's a F'in lot when your looking at about 20 mb of attachments or emails.

Bottom line
    Everyone likes to save money, and why pay ramming fees when you got loads of places with free wifi.
    07-29-09 10:30 PM
    No you don't. You only need to pay if you want unlimited UMA calling. Other wise it uses your minutes just like it would when calling over the TMo cell tower network.

you are correct, but you need to pay a little extra for the abililty to make calls over wifi as opposed to just getting on the net
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 10:42 PM
    No you don't. You only need to pay if you want unlimited UMA calling. Other wise it uses your minutes just like it would when calling over the TMo cell tower network.

You're right, I wasn't clear on that. When people talk about using UMA, I guess I assume they all want the unlimited minutes.
    07-30-09 08:01 AM
    because I don't even use plan... it's too expensive. I only update my stuff to the internet over a wifi.
    07-30-09 08:21 AM
    A BlackBerry is nothing without wifi. That is why the Tour is still less spectacular than the Bold and why the Onyx will be a step ahead.

Blackberries were not created with wifi in mind. Sure it is nice but in no way shape and form a requirement for it.

Again, I won't be buying any phone without wifi ever again but my 8310 does the job just fine...albeit slowly.
    07-30-09 09:34 AM
    A little off topic, but if you are in a hot spot with a 8900 using Wi-Fi, how does the speed compare to 3G on the Bold (or future Onyx)? Is it the same or is the 3G going to still be faster?
    07-30-09 11:48 AM
    Wifi is faster than 3G. No contest.

A little off topic, but if you are in a hot spot with a 8900 using Wi-Fi, how does the speed compare to 3G on the Bold (or future Onyx)? Is it the same or is the 3G going to still be faster?
    07-30-09 12:00 PM
    Wifi on aircraft and cruise ships. That's why. roaming on the ship for data... no thanks... I'll take the wifi. Not cell use on airlines... but some have wifi... hmm simple really.
    07-30-09 03:28 PM
    I have a crappy signal in my apartment with just about all carriers. I recently installed a wireless router.... problem solved. 100% signal strength anywhere in my apartment. UMA/wifi rules. Before I had to stand near a window to get a decent signal, now people think I'm on a land line phone.
    07-30-09 03:37 PM
    if i had a wifi bb i would love it not everyone lives in a area to take complete use of a bb and not everyone has a job to require a bb i got my storm because i wanted iphone and a blackberry and now i have the best of both worlds i am not complaining about the service but wifi would be a big plus
    07-30-09 03:45 PM
    most blackberrys are EDGE only so wifi is a blessing. tht why the love fo wifi.
    07-31-09 01:04 AM
    im planning on getting this phone if i use wifi i dont have to pay for it right? just my internet bill?
    07-31-09 01:12 AM
    I would need wifi for the net. But I have the net already so I don't want it. I have never seen wifi were cellular service doesn't exist? wireless transmission of data of any srt is a drain on any battery. Are you serious? Where are all these hot wifi spots where a cell phone is in a dead zone? Seems like they should let consumers have it as an option to be installed, as I am sure a few are beyond the 3g zones but have a wireless router at home?
    07-31-09 01:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Zaakir Abdullah;3205647]No you don't. You only need to pay if you want unlimited UMA calling. Other wise it uses your minutes just like it would when calling over the TMo cell tower network.

What is UMA?
    07-31-09 08:03 AM
    [quote=lynnpudas;3218335]

What is UMA?
    Unlicensed Mobile Access
    07-31-09 08:11 AM
    I have WIFI on my HTC 8925 through AT&T but have never even used it and I've had the phone for almost 2 years now. To me personally I don't use the WIFI as I have very good AT&T coverage in my area and an unlimited data plan,so why would I use WIFI? I'm not saying its not a good feature because it is,just for me I don't se a need for it given my needs.
    07-31-09 08:37 AM
132 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD