RIMM seemed to rise on tiny insignificant things before, so why didn't it rise after bb world? BB World was huge and got a good response.
    05-06-12 03:46 PM
    There remains a lot of skepticism around RIM. Their revenue and market share continues to drop, and without a marketing miracle, will likely continue to do so even a couple of quarters after BB10 hits the market.

BB10 looks great, but the consensus in, let's call it the "non-RIM" community, is that WebOS looked great too. Zach Epstein at BGR published a post the other day called BB10, WebOS and the platform predicament , and while I don't agree with his analysis (and rebut it in the comments), I can respect how he would arrive at that analysis and why many others would see the situation that way.

RIM had such a horrific year in 2011 that the memory of it among investors isn't going to be erased overnight.

I believe in RIM, and I own shares. Their CURRENT product is competitive, never mind BB10. But their messaging is poor, they're not selling on their strengths, and it serves no purpose to ignore reality.
    TroyPoseidon likes this.
    05-06-12 03:59 PM
    The current product is not competitive and messaging can only take you so far. RIM used the same messaging that has been beaten to death on this forum:

Security blablabla communication blablablabla physical keyboards blablablabla hardware doesn't matter blehblehblehbleh emergine markets hahahahaha who needs apps just use the browser hohohoho who needs PIM just bridge to your BB blechblechblech buy our phones with a dead OS that we told you was dead a year ago hahahaha good fight.
    Sorry, not going to work.

Lots of companies are bad at marketing but their products still sell decently well. HTC is far from a marketing phenom but they still have decent sells and their One X/S will still sell really good. Samsung is much better (and Verizon, plus obviously Apple). Marketing only take you so far. If your product is great, it can still overcome bad marketing. Consumers just don't see their current products as being great, and that is why they are not competitive.

I view "competitive" as having competitive demand compared to competing products. You can put everything and the kitchen sink in an OS and it can still fail to be competitive.

That's why Palm failed. Even though the OS was marvelous and arguably ahead of its time, it still wasn't "market competitive."
    Last edited by N8ter; 05-06-12 at 04:21 PM.
    Yoox_II likes this.
    05-06-12 04:18 PM
    Companies like RIM should have a team of people to create ideas for marketing, who are also the SAME type of people who they are marketing towards. If they're targeting teens and young adults, they should send out a survey to people of that age group or just observe what types of commercials they enjoy watching, or the activities that they enjoy the most at that particular point in time.
    05-06-12 04:42 PM
    Companies like RIM should have a team of people to create ideas for marketing, who are also the SAME type of people who they are marketing towards. If they're targeting teens and young adults, they should send out a survey to people of that age group or just observe what types of commercials they enjoy watching, or the activities that they enjoy the most at that particular point in time.
    RIM Company - Learn about Research In Motion

They are looking for a Chief Marketing Officer. You should apply.
    05-06-12 04:48 PM
    Haha I wish. If they would reply to my emails maybe I would
    Does RIM hire people who can work from home? Maybe tech support or a bug/glitch informative? I've heard that has been done by Samsung. They hire people to browse the web or use a product to find any common problems people are having, and then report back to the company so they can fix it. That would be a cool job especially if you could work from home.
    05-06-12 05:15 PM
    There are a lot of investors it seems that didn't want RIM to announce a new OS at the conference but rather that they were licensing or selling to some degree.

You have to remember, as much positive buzz as there is, the naysayers probably still outweigh it at this point. Hopefully time will show this start to turn around. We've seen lots of awesome ideas, so as long as RIM can translate that in to a tangible product in their given timeframe the trends will change.
    05-06-12 10:26 PM
    Well, it's hard when your new product hasn't launched yet, and most people still have no clue what BB10 is. The share price is not going to change very much without new products being on the market or some drastic improvements in the balance sheets...
    05-06-12 10:53 PM
    Well, it's hard when your new product hasn't launched yet, and most people still have no clue what BB10 is. The share price is not going to change very much without new products being on the market or some drastic improvements in the balance sheets...
    The balance sheet should be fine (for now). In response to the OP's question, companies are bought on their future earnings power and for most people, it's looking pretty weak for RIM at the moment. Barring a sale/takeover or licensing/partnership agreement, more details will need to emerge on BB10 beforehand.
    05-07-12 04:42 AM
    Sorry, but that is the "put lipstick on a pig" strategy..

Marketing is about understanding about customer needs, desires and perceptions and 90% of that must be done BEFORE you design the product.

05-07-12 05:03 AM
    People can like or not like a company for many reasons. That's opinions.
    Most shares are bought or sold based on a valuation derived from some form of future earnings - that is what many are trying to tell you here.

So an event like Orlando doesn't raise the stock price unless investors learn something that they didn't already know (and figure) about future earnings.

Was Orlando great - yes.
    Was it enough to raise the stock price - evidently not.
    You have to expect that an event aimed at boosting developer activity will not directly raise the price. Now, when those developers start doing their thing, and the prospects for BB10 device sales start rising from current expected figures (and arrival dates), THEN the price will rise.
    05-07-12 06:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD