Today, NBA League pass announced their new program with 40 lives games a week. FOR the iPhone and Android. Why cant we get all these great apps. I let the baseball season go, even though all my friends with iphones got live games for 9.99 for the season. I think its time to focus on the average consumer, not the businessman. We are as big, if not a bigger market right now for RIM, and its hard not to notice how many prominent blackberrys are everywhere you look. Time to give us these great apps.
    10-30-09 12:27 PM
    RIM doesn't put the money into streaming. Don't listen
    to what anyone else tells you. It's true. But they
    really shouldn't in a way because their devices aren't
    so much about multi-media.
    10-30-09 12:41 PM
    appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/4046 BlackBerry App World - NBA Game Time 2009-2010

wouldn't let me post direct link cause I don't have 10 posts....
    10-30-09 12:44 PM
    NBA fans now have an exciting new way to follow the action live! NBA Game Time, is the new live scoring and multimedia app for the 2009-10 NBA season.

In addition to live scores, stats, and standings for every game, this official NBA paid App lets you listen to live game radio broadcasts for both home and away teams and watch NBA TV-produced video recaps.

Features for 2009-10 Season:
    - LIVE Home and Away Radio from Every Game
    - Game Previews and Summaries
    - Team Rosters and Player Search
    - Detailed Player Cards
    - Daily League Leaders
    - League News from NBA.com

Other In-Game Features:
    - LIVE Scores
    - LIVE Stats for Teams and Players
    - Quarter-by-Quarter Scoring
    - Game Clock
    - Starting Lineups

Additional Features:
    - Video Highlights from Every Game.
    - Full-Season Schedule
    - Schedule Picker by Team
    - Conference, Division, and Overall standings
    - Twitter™ updates from the NBA’s official feed!
    10-30-09 12:46 PM
    RIM may have made it's name in business and probably will continue to do so for those in business who need a cookie cutter solution to e-mail and multi-tasking.... but as for the consumer user not in a business field that requires a Blackberry or smartphone... someone that uses it for a personal device.... RIM is failing. iPhone obviously has it's supporters... and haters.. and with Android coming out it's gonna become clear that for a multi-media device with great web browsing RIM will NOT NOT NOT be an option. I'm going to Android once they release a touch screen with the newer processors
    10-30-09 12:46 PM
    By the way, I believe the NBA League Pass for the iPhone is $39.99, not $9.99
    10-30-09 12:51 PM
    I also use MLB mobile premium...

I don't understand why people would blame RIM for not making these apps... they are all made by the company or another third party. Blame the companies themselves for not making the program for blackberry.

RIM has come a long way as far as not just being a business device. My wife got her 8830 2 years ago... and that thing could pretty much just do email and browse the web. Now there are many many more options for BB devices, and more are coming out every day.

Obviously the OP didn't look into this before they decided to post, or they would have seen that the NBA app is already available, and it is the same price as it is on iphone.
    10-30-09 12:56 PM
    no i meant the mlb was 9.99 with selected games each week. yes, the nba is 40 bucks but live games is a big deal. radio is great and all, but we need more cutting edge programs.
    10-30-09 12:56 PM
    no i meant the mlb was 9.99 with selected games each week. yes, the nba is 40 bucks but live games is a big deal. radio is great and all, but we need more cutting edge programs.
    That's why they're RISM. Research In Slow Motion
    10-30-09 01:03 PM
    LMFAO! Good one!
    10-30-09 01:07 PM
    On a somewhat related note: The reason I'm irritated with them is that they concentrate so much on coming out with new devices every few months and don't spend a lot of time on software development. I couldn't care less about sports or the apps for them, but I think yours is an example that hardware comes first.
    10-30-09 01:08 PM
    This is the post of the month
    10-30-09 01:19 PM
    As someone else just said, why are you bashing RIM? Is it their fault third party app developers chose to make apps for the iPhone but not the Blackberry? They are the ones you should be angry with, not RIM.
    Yes it is. If they didn't make 805 different OS's then app developers would be
    more inclined to make apps for the Blackberry. And when they do they charge
    more because of all the work it takes to make an app for each freaking OS.
    10-30-09 01:34 PM
    If you don't like what RIM is doing, you have one alternative - vote with your pocketbook and give your business who someone who provides what you want.
    10-30-09 01:37 PM
    If you don't like what RIM is doing, you have one alternative - vote with your pocketbook and give your business who someone who provides what you want.
    Someone made an argument and I counter argued. Just because my argument
    isn't in favor of what you think doesn't mean that I don't want a Blackberry
    anymore because RIM is slow in motion. Don't turn this into that.
    10-30-09 01:40 PM
    It's getting real now, huh? Anyway, everyone needs to settle down. forever is just supplying an answer to the OP's original beef with apps. Not everyone sucks on RIM's teet.
    10-30-09 01:48 PM
    Apps are built for the base OS level. 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, etc. Apps are made for each version within the base os. Many apps are built for one level and will work with any newer versions. That's not the issue.
    10-30-09 02:28 PM
    apps are built for the base os level. 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, etc. Apps are made for each version within the base os. Many apps are built for one level and will work with any newer versions. That's not the issue.
    4.5.0, 4.5.1,4.6.0,4.6.1,4.7.0,4.7.1,5.0.0
    10-30-09 02:29 PM
    Apps are built for the base OS level. 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, etc. Apps are made for each version within the base os. Many apps are built for one level and will work with any newer versions. That's not the issue.
    Not to mention the supported platforms are very new and have no real variations, yet. But I'm sure as they progress in the future they will. Look how long RIM has been producing phones, are you surprised there are so many different ones?
    10-30-09 02:31 PM
    I love the BB and I actually like the Iphone as well, preference toward BB. I agree with above said post. At some point RIM or who ever is going to have to step it up in the consumer department as opposed just business.

At the rate the Ipone is gaining it will become as windows is to mac in popularity. I think people would be surprised at the number of BB to Iphone conversions by so called die hard BB owners there would be if they were offered by other providers.(just my opinion)

I know people who have them and some even don't like them (touch screen, etc.) but are willing to put up with them for the features it offers. I personally would go back to a home rotary dial phone before I would sign any contract with AT&T. sorry just a lot of personal animosity with AT&T.
    10-30-09 02:31 PM
    I love the BB and I actually like the Iphone as well, preference toward BB. I agree with above said post. At some point RIM or who ever is going to have to step it up in the consumer department as opposed just business.

At the rate the Ipone is gaining it will become as windows is to mac in popularity. I think people would be surprised at the number of BB to Iphone conversions by so called die hard BB owners there would be if they were offered by other providers.(just my opinion)

I know people who have them and some even don't like them (touch screen, etc.) but are willing to put up with them for the features it offers. I personally would go back to a home rotary dial phone before I would sign any contract with AT&T. sorry just a lot of personal animosity with AT&T.
    It depends what features though. As a communications device the iPhone can't even touch the BB. Period.

I can have multiple IM programs open, SMS and email and switching between them for simultaneous conversations is so fast it's nothing more than 2 button presses.

Hangup key, hotkey for IM program.

Can anyone do this on the iPhone as quickly? With more than 4 apps open that you're switching between? Other phones are great for media, but for anyone who needs serious communications abilities then the BB is about the best there is.
    10-30-09 02:42 PM
    4.5.0, 4.5.1,4.6.0,4.6.1,4.7.0,4.7.1,5.0.0
    no
    10-30-09 02:43 PM
    It depends what features though. As a communications device the iPhone can't even touch the BB. Period.

I can have multiple IM programs open, SMS and email and switching between them for simultaneous conversations is so fast it's nothing more than 2 button presses.

Hangup key, hotkey for IM program.

Can anyone do this on the iPhone as quickly? With more than 4 apps open that you're switching between? Other phones are great for media, but for anyone who needs serious communications abilities then the BB is about the best there is.
    I agree! I love the BB. Just stating an opinion based on some of my coworkers and friends. Your preaching to the choir on bb's to me brother.
    10-30-09 02:45 PM
    On a somewhat related note: The reason I'm irritated with them is that they concentrate so much on coming out with new devices every few months and don't spend a lot of time on software development. I couldn't care less about sports or the apps for them, but I think yours is an example that hardware comes first.
    From a business perspective, this makes sense for RIM. How much money do they make off of their aim or google talk apps? Yeah, they can be selling points to a phone, but the hardware is what they make actual real $$$ off of... not that fake play monopoly money the government keeps printing....

Back on track... RIM does have quite a few devices out there, and because of the limited hardware some of the early models, and variations in features (like wifi, global, touchscreen, etc) they do have spend a lot of time making all those features work. But to put it in perspective, that isn't much different than writing a program that runs in Windows. You have to decide if you are going make it support 98/98se/ME/2000/XP/Server2k3/Vista/Server2k8/7.... then decide if is going to have x64 support for each applicable OS.

My suggestion as a consumer is stick with something that is more mainstream. The more obscure your device is, the less fun toys you are going to have for it. Apple is the king of this practice... other than a few exceptions (see:intel transition), they make most of their stuff work together. What works on one iPhone, will probably work on all iPhones.
    10-30-09 03:12 PM
    Shouldn't the fact that their hardware is pretty solid right now all across the board that they should switch their focus? Im sure you can blame the 3rd party developers but RIM has enough influence to push for better apps if they moved their focus to software. They have new phones on every provider and 5.0 will soon be on every current device. Someone needs to tell them that apps are a huge deal these days.
    10-30-09 03:28 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD