Nice write up. But on the apps front the Q10 will probably rule in the long run simply due to the fact that it will outsell the Z10 on a monstrous scale.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    SK122387 likes this.
    05-31-13 05:44 PM
    If anyone is thinking of going back to BlackBerry and doesn't know which way to go because of the touch screen keyboard, if you have Android download swift key and use it for a while. It's the same engine as the bb10 keyboard and then closest to the typing experience. That way you can kind of see what you'll be dealing with.

Posted via CB10
    I agree to a degree. But I had swift key 3 on my Droid razr maxx. Same screen size as the Z10. Yet typing on the Z10 in portrait mode is so much better to me.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-31-13 05:46 PM
    No way I give up the screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 06:09 PM
    I'm definitely in the same boat as the OP. I've been a qwerty guy since since 99.. I always said I'd never have a touch screen device.. I bought the Z10 out of pure brand loyalty and lust for BB10, because it was out first.. I fully intended to go pickup a Q10 on launch day and relegated the Z10 to my wife, as she's always been a touch screen fan.. on her torch she never bothered to slide it open, just typed on that terrible on screen keyboard.. but after using my Z10, the screen on the Q10 just feels small.. I played with it a fair bit on launch day, and everything feels cramped... the web browser and apps like CB10 aren't capable of displaying all the information on one screen that I've grown acustomed to.. similar to what the OP said, looking back to my 9900, the Q10 is a mark improvement, and had it come out first I'm sure I'd be loving it. But coming from my Z10 it just feels like a step backward..

I'll admit I still don't type as well on my Z10 as I did on my 9900.. I've gotten pretty fast, but I'm making many more spelling mistakes then I did on a physical qwerty. Accuracy was something I took great pride in, and a staple of the physical keyboard to me.. Still though, loosing this glorious screen doesn't seem like a comparable trade off. I'm keeping my Z10, I'll just have to work on my accuracy a little.

P.S I also ended up picking up a second Z10 for my better half.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) and j21jam6 like this.
    05-31-13 06:14 PM
    Re Actually slower typing on the physical keyboard.

This has been my experience also.

Although I found that was the case only when I decided to truly let loose and trust the keyboard. I think it will take many fans some time to get there, so they'll be inclined towards the physical thumbing they know.

I haven't thought of a way to demonstrate this well to people... the HDMI cable tends to get in the way when focusing on typing. Perhaps using a big screen and DLNA......

The virtual keyboard does use up a little head space though. So I'm not yet sure who would win live tweeting from a conference.

There are a few changes I'd like to see in the virtual keyboard not many. It's beautifully engineered.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 06:47 PM
    I don't want the Q because they screen size. Simple as that. Beautiful phone though!

Posted via Crackberry Z10

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 07:44 PM
    I find few sites that don't work well straight out of the tin OR using reader. I actually really like the minimal look in Reader on BB10 (whereas I loathed its equivalent in BB OS6)

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 10:39 PM
    I will give that a try next time ... still ... I am concerned. I like a really sharp image.
    05-31-13 10:54 PM
    The look of the reader is very clear - like Bauhaus clear

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:16 PM
    Thanks for sharing and your story resonates with mine. I had a 9930 bold and loved it to pieces, so naturally I'd drool for a q10 right? I kept playing with a z10 to get used to the operating system and after half a dozen times, I realized I should just try to live with the z and if I hated it, I could sell it and get a q (waiting in the states for a q10!)

I've gotten the z10 and after a week there is no looking back. The typing truly is phenomenal and only gets better with time. I love having the larger screen most of the time, and another bonus most don't mention between the q and z- its so quiet when typing! I think my husband got annoyed at times when I was pounding out long emails on my hold and the same would have continued with a q10. But in my beautiful white z10? I'm like a ninja on this keyboard! I too think I type faster on this physical. I can't type well on android keyboards and can't type at all on iphones.
    05-31-13 11:36 PM
    On my bold not hold!
    05-31-13 11:37 PM
    Reeneebob you are around a lot of phones ...

So I have this pet theory. It goes like this - The width of the screen is more important than the length.

I read a hockey blog most every day. This is just a regular website not optimized for smart phones.
    There is always a large photo and several lines of text. On my phone, I always expand the screen so that the written words of the first line fill the width of my screen. I thought I would do a comparison between the Q and the Z... so I went down to my local big box store to try out this website on first the Z then the Q.

On the Z , I could not expand the font for the first line of script to make it very legible. It was barely legible. The Q was better, not significantly better. So I don't think the smaller length of the Q's screen is a detriment - for my needs. Here comes the bad part.

I tried the same test, in the store, on my 9900. The legibility of the script was better on my 9900 than the Q and significantly better than on the Z. I was not expecting that ! I went back and forth trying more than one Z ... same result.

So then I tried the same test on a Iphone 4S and 5 using Safari. Much better legibility than my 9900 and significantly better than on the Z and Q.

Next I tried a Nexus 4 using Chrome as it's browser. Again, large wonderfully clear text.

I think the main problem here is partly due to the BB10 browser. WYSIWYG. It seems to me that the Z browser is fast but I would rather have clear and legible. I may have had to expand the page on the Iphone a little bit but still the result was better. I don't think I needed to expand the script at all on the Nexus using chrome. Somehow the formatting on Chrome and Safari are better than the Blackberry.

The bottom line for me is that when my phone contract comes up ... I am going to test these phones again. It really pains me to say this but I may have to leave the brand.

I wonder if Chrome can be ported and whether that would make a difference ? Over and hopefully not out.
    Perk of working in the industry. I always get to play with the new devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 11:57 PM
    Nice write up. But on the apps front the Q10 will probably rule in the long run simply due to the fact that it will outsell the Z10 on a monstrous scale.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Agreed... although I don't think that was my mindset when I originally wrote this post a month ago! At that time I felt that the Z10 would be BBRY's flagship device for 2013. Now it's looking like it'll be the Q10. I'm hoping that Thor reveals some sales figures at the quarterly results later on this month so we can compare how the units have been moving between the two devices.

The US launch will be something interesting to behold. Everyone keeps talking about the monster numbers the Q10 is supposed to bring in the States, yet the phone hasn't hit the market yet! In Canada, Zs are already being sold for $99 on contract while the Q is holding firm at $199. Is there really a huge buzz in the US over the Q?
    06-01-13 12:05 AM
    A day really isn't long enough to get use to a phone, especially a touch screen vs physical keyboard, so I'm not surprised you kept forgetting about shortcuts. Can you imagine what everyone would be saying if someone with an iphone tried the Q10 for a single day then returned it? Maybe a week trial would have been better.
    Posted via CB10
    Yep, one day is too short to adjust or get over initial gut reactions.
    06-01-13 12:08 AM
    Agreed... although I don't think that was my mindset when I originally wrote this post a month ago! At that time I felt that the Z10 would be BBRY's flagship device for 2013. Now it's looking like it'll be the Q10. I'm hoping that Thor reveals some sales figures at the quarterly results later on this month so we can compare how the units have been moving between the two devices.

The US launch will be something interesting to behold. Everyone keeps talking about the monster numbers the Q10 is supposed to bring in the States, yet the phone hasn't hit the market yet! In Canada, Zs are already being sold for $99 on contract while the Q is holding firm at $199. Is there really a huge buzz in the US over the Q?
    I like to use Google Trends as a barometer of interest. In the USA over the last 7 days there was more interest in the Z than the Q. Still though, I think there is a lot of pent up demand for the Q. While the Q may start fast out of the gates, in the long run the Z will sell more is my fearless uneducated prediction.
    06-01-13 12:32 AM
    I bought a Z10 in Feb as I wanted to return to BlackBerry and was curious about BB10 and while I love the screen and on-screen kb of the Z10, I knew I'd still be getting a Q10. So in May I did buy the Q10 and since getting it, the Z10 has sat in a drawer switched off - until the .2009 leak... and now it's back in it's box.
    Why?
    Because the Q10 is smaller, has a physical kb, better battery life and oozes quality - it's not perfect but is the best BlackBerry to date.
    Do I regret buying the Z10? No.
    Would I buy one if it had been released second? No.
    Which would I recommend to buy?
    Z10 for non BlackBerry owners. Q10 for legacy BlackBerry owners or returners.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10.
    Last edited by CJH_; 06-02-13 at 06:16 PM.
    06-01-13 01:36 AM
    This is a good point and one which several members have made. I agree that if an iPhone user were to give up on the Q10 after a day, we would all be flaming that person saying that they needed to give the device at least a week. For me, it wasn't so much that I knew the Q10 wasn't as "good" as the Z10 after a day's use... it was the fact that after a day's use, the shine had already worn off. It really felt like the a 9900 with BB10 minus the track pad. And there were one thing that could never change even if I had given the Q10 a month long trial... the screen size. Having used the Z10 for almost four months before getting the Q10 really spoiled me.

The good thing is that the Q10 is still in my household. I still pick up my wife's Q10 daily and play around with it. But the screen size and the amazing keyboard of the Z10 just had me at "hello". Everything coming from the Q10 I had experienced before... but the Z10 to this day, continues to astound and amaze me.

At some point I'm going to propose a month-long trial swap with my wife so I can see what it really feels like to have the Q10 as my daily driver. My fear doing this however are, a) she'll love the Z10 and not want to give it back and b) she doesn't baby her devices like I do so the Z10 is guaranteed to get some dings in it being tossed about!
    I "baby" my Zed but the Q gets tossed around and only wears a screen protector. Isn't life strange?

06-01-13 01:41 AM
    Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 08:48 AM
    Z10 is the perfect phone for me right now. I may check out Aristo when it's coming out. Not for its larger screen, but for its battery and maybe its CPU.
    06-01-13 09:10 AM
    Well next time you are in the sandbox ... think about the screen sharpness issue. Maybe it is just me but ...
    I don't find the screen on the Z any less sharp than on my iphone. I'm pretty nearsighted (okay, a lot nearsighted - I actually qualify as legally blind without my glasses) so I'm sensitive to the display clarity. I can't speak as to a comparison with the 9900 as its on a 9900 which we no longer have a working one of, and I despised. Even if the screen IS crisper on the 9900 it's still attached to a 9900, so just no. Lol

I am really happy with the screen on the Z though. In comparison to the one on my gs3 but that may be due to the unnatural brightness of the GS3 - my eyes don't adjust to changes in light level well because of my degree of nearsightedness and I'd often look at the gs3 screen and have to squint because it was that bright. The only screen I can say right now I think is sharper than any other phone on the market is the screen on the Xperia ZL. I don't know if it's the Bravia engine that Sony put in that phone, but it's the single best display I've ever seen on anything other than a TV. Period.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 10:24 AM
    Which would I recommend to buy?
    Z10 for non BlackBerry owners. Q10 for legacy BlackBerry owners or returners.

I have a box with a Curve 8330 and a Pearl 8130 in it. I sold my Storm and my 9900.

I'm a returner.

I would never buy the q10 because the screen is too small.

It's unfair to make a blanket statement like that. At this point, if BB10 had only come out on a q10 form factor, I'd have an HTC One.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-01-13 10:28 AM
    I "baby" my Zed but the Q gets tossed around and only wears a screen protector. Isn't life strange?

I babied my 9900 so much when I first got it but then later I would check my wooden floor for dents first before checking my 9900 if I dropped it lol. Or chips in my kitchen tiled floor, and I've got one to prove it lol, not a scratch on the 9900.
    06-01-13 10:58 AM
    I have a box with a Curve 8330 and a Pearl 8130 in it. I sold my Storm and my 9900.

I'm a returner.

I would never buy the q10 because the screen is too small.

It's unfair to make a blanket statement like that. At this point, if BB10 had only come out on a q10 form factor, I'd have an HTC One.

Posted via CB10
    Wow!!

06-01-13 11:55 AM

Things change. What I always find interesting is the various rationalizations that get thrown out over time. When it was revealed that the Z10 would come in advance of any QWERTY phone there was a lot of talk in the forums (and even some CB articles) about WHY it made sense for BlackBerry to do an all touch device first. Show the world it can make a world-class modern all-touch device. That kind of thing. Another one thrown out there was how releasing both would invite criticism from the tech press over the QWERTY as out-dated. BlackBerry still stuck in the past, etc. And that that would distract from the all touch models ability to impress -- give it less than 100% of the focus, etc.

But now things are much clearer. To me anyhow. It is very clear that the QWERTY keyboard defines a BlackBerry a lot more to the world at large than I had thought. And that BlackBerry might just gain more from this than anyone thought. I mean the WHOLE smartphone world has essentially gotten rid of any decent keyboards. So BlackBerry has the undisputed top product in this class by a wide margin. And with an ultra modern OS.
    06-02-13 12:36 PM
    Things change. What I always find interesting is the various rationalizations that get thrown out over time. When it was revealed that the Z10 would come in advance of any QWERTY phone there was a lot of talk in the forums (and even some CB articles) about WHY it made sense for BlackBerry to do an all touch device first. Show the world it can make a world-class modern all-touch device. That kind of thing. Another one thrown out there was how releasing both would invite criticism from the tech press over the QWERTY as out-dated. BlackBerry still stuck in the past, etc. And that that would distract from the all touch models ability to impress -- give it less than 100% of the focus, etc.

But now things are much clearer. To me anyhow. It is very clear that the QWERTY keyboard defines a BlackBerry a lot more to the world at large than I had thought. And that BlackBerry might just gain more from this than anyone thought. I mean the WHOLE smartphone world has essentially gotten rid of any decent keyboards. So BlackBerry has the undisputed top product in this class by a wide margin. And with an ultra modern OS.
    I'm still not sure the Q will outsell the Z though. There is a certain market for QWERTY keyboards but most people have spoken and moved on to touch screens. It will be interesting to sit back and watch.
    06-02-13 04:28 PM
61 123