I've written ad nauseum on these forums about why I still prefer my BB10 phone. (Z10) as my primary handheld device even though I'm perfectly comfortable on and own Android phones and iPhones, and I've mentioned many tines that I double (and sometimes triple!) carry, but I thought it might be interesting for some of you to hear why I actually prefer to double carry.

1) Task Prioritization -- one of the things I learned early on when I bought my KEYone back in 2017 was that it was difficult to prioritize Hub-based work, such as responding immediately to 3 out of 7 customer-facing accounts in the Hub over other non-customer-facing accounts and apps like Slack, Signal, etc. because Android just sees the Hub as a single app when it comes to managing notifications. This is, for me, a fundamental problem with all modern smart phones, as they are made to do a lot of things that have nothing to do with email.

I love that I can load up my BB10 phone with only the core Office 365 and Google work accounts I need to focus on (together with a "Red phone" BBM hotline for my spouse) and leave my iPhone or Android phone, which includes all of my internal business communications and personal apps tucked away to review when I choose to do so. And, of course, all my Google and O365 info syncs perfectly between them.

2) Faster downloads -- by WiFi tethering my BB10 phone to my newer, faster modern phone, I get all the speed benefits of more recent technology.

3) Battery life -- My BB10 phone battery lasts almost two days when tethered to WiFi compared to less than 12 hours on LTE.

4) Cost savings -- I don't need a high end phone to use with my mobile carrier, so long as it serves as a decent WiFi Hotspot. And I can drastically decrease my data usage because the Z10 sips data compared to the same functions on modern phones. In fact, for the past three months, I have able to pay $5 for 1 GB a month and stay 100% on top of all my email by turning mobile data off for other apps much of the time when I'm not on another WiFi at home or at work.

5) Improved Focus and Quality of Work -- in addition to task prioritization, I have almost no distractions when using my work-focused BB10 device, so I am able to do more "deep work" on my phone for longer periods of time.

I'm curious if other people who double carry by choice also find advantages. Please post below if you do.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Chuck Finley69, bh7171 and tado261 like this.
    10-05-20 12:49 PM
    I've written ad nauseum on these forums about why I still prefer my BB10 phone. (Z10) as my primary handheld device even though I'm perfectly comfortable on and own Android phones and iPhones, and I've mentioned many tines that I double (and sometimes triple!) carry, but I thought it might be interesting for some of you to hear why I actually prefer to double carry.

1) Task Prioritization -- one of the things I learned early on when I bought my KEYone back in 2017 was that it was difficult to prioritize Hub-based work, such as responding immediately to 3 out of 7 customer-facing accounts in the Hub over other non-customer-facing accounts and apps like Slack, Signal, etc. because Android just sees the Hub as a single app when it comes to managing notifications. This is, for me, a fundamental problem with all modern smart phones, as they are made to do a lot of things that have nothing to do with email.

I love that I can load up my BB10 phone with only the core Office 365 and Google work accounts I need to focus on (together with a "Red phone" BBM hotline for my spouse) and leave my iPhone or Android phone, which includes all of my internal business communications and personal apps tucked away to review when I choose to do so. And, of course, all my Google and O365 info syncs perfectly between them.

2) Faster downloads -- by WiFi tethering my BB10 phone to my newer, faster modern phone, I get all the speed benefits of more recent technology.

3) Battery life -- My BB10 phone battery lasts almost two days when tethered to WiFi compared to less than 12 hours on LTE.

4) Cost savings -- I don't need a high end phone to use with my mobile carrier, so long as it serves as a decent WiFi Hotspot. And I can drastically decrease my data usage because the Z10 sips data compared to the same functions on modern phones. In fact, for the past three months, I have able to pay $5 for 1 GB a month and stay 100% on top of all my email by turning mobile data off for other apps much of the time when I'm not on another WiFi at home or at work.

5) Improved Focus and Quality of Work -- in addition to task prioritization, I have almost no distractions when using my work-focused BB10 device, so I am able to do more "deep work" on my phone for longer periods of time.

I'm curious if other people who double carry by choice also find advantages. Please post below if you do.

My biggest advantage to dual carry is two calls at once and one call and minicomputer tasks since I'm out mostly
    10-05-20 12:56 PM

This pretty much mirrors my use case. Also my team's. Also Chuck's voice on one handset while operating data on another... Spreadheets, prints, surfing component data/manuals,... calendar, contacts, MAPs, ... Email, sms, etc... To team members, vendors... Even other clients... and also even voice on both, on occasions. Long story. Lol.

All stuff that CAN be juggled on a single device but SOooo much easier and more productive to focus on the project rather than multitask on single handset. Imo.

Such multitasking was once sop on old BBOS stuff but... "End" means END the call on BBOS no matter what app's been migrated to. Good luck 110% assuring call disconnect after migrating to other apps on android, mid call. Without disruptive distraction, at least. I find it easier and most reliable to dedicate a handset to the voice call and do research & data on a separate handset.

Might also add that I rarely carry two handsets on the same carrier. Such redundancy pays off almost routinely when field working poor signal jobsites. Such as in metal & concrete plants full of freq drives, etc. Many times one carrier pulls thru when the other has vanished.

I'm frequently asked about potential for confusion with so many handsets but MY brain focuses best when tasks, clients & coworkers are segregated onto mostly dedicated handsets. Clients expect 200% focus on THEIR project. They don't care how many handsets are involved or how many pennies I'm saving by forcing everything into a single handset. They're not paying my brain to get distracted with switching apps, etc.

Naturally, employing multiple handsets simultaneously works best with more single handed friendly stuff. Good luck finding that feature with modern "size envy" handsets. Lol.

In addition, single carry made more sense back when we could pop a charged battery into a handset drained to shutdown, mid call and return the call. Less than three minutes, on this old Bold. Newer embedded battery stuff just doesn't recover as quickly as simply grabbing a spare handset and getting the task moving again.

In fact, I originally started dual carry after it dawned on me that the power bank I was carrying to recover my then new, embedded battery, Classic was bigger than a 9900! I started carrying compact 9900 as a "back up" instead of powerbanks. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-06-20 at 05:26 AM.
    10-06-20 05:09 AM
    Here's hoping that the extra 12.7 seconds being saved by having all of these optimised devices for separate tasks are worth all of the extra charging, wires, weight, and having to wear overalls. Although I think @Chuck Finley69 considers that a business suit.
    Last edited by conite; 10-06-20 at 11:03 AM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ppeters914 like this.
    10-06-20 09:45 AM
    I agree, I bought the key2 dual sim for the reason not to carry two phones with me.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-20 10:44 AM
    Here's hoping that the extra 12.7 seconds being saved by having all of these optimised devices for separate tasks are worth all of the extra charging, wires, weight, and having to wear overalls. Although I think Chuck considers that his business suit.
    LOL - I didn’t really notice as much until sheltering in place. Less about the data aspect if close to laptop or tablet. However, the phone hold times for everything showed me.

I was dual carrying for so many years that I never realized until I activated the XR eSIM and forgot my tablet one day. I know you love your skinny jeans look but I’m not in the gym 6 hours a day like you..... LMAO
    ppeters914 likes this.
    10-06-20 11:05 AM
    Well I spent a week of Saturdays one highschool summer trimming 14+ to 12.7 seconds... At the strip... Lol. Spending $0 on a $30 pre-unit BSA A10... Just because a friend dared to opine that no BSA twin could ever break into 12s... Lol. A life shaping experience. How'd @conite derive THAT number? ...Twilight Zone theme playing now... Haha....

I guess the answer to apparent irrelevance is the relevance itself... 12.7 seconds per week seems pretty insignificant. 12.7 seconds per minute could prove mighty significant during an 8 hour day of 480 minutes. (480)(12.7)=6096seconds=101.6munites=1hr, 42minutes... Per 8hr day... Significant? Lol

If replying to a prospect 12.7 seconds before your competitor does makes a difference??

More significant than 12.7 seconds, tho, might be distraction? Simple distractions might introduce COSTLY errors. Far more significant than time.

Of course, like everything else, advantages of multiple carry pretty much diminish with handset size. Most pockets easily accommodate 9900. Most hands readily accommodate that compact handset. Swappable batteries can eliminate wires altogether, btw. I'm a fan of multiple carry of 9900s and really don't notice the compact things in pocket, nor hand. Even T shirt pockets. But, lugging around multiple K sized giants that do NOT fit quite a few of my pockets, especially T pockets, nor my hand, loses most of the concept's appeal for me, tho.
    10-06-20 09:03 PM
    Well I spent a week of Saturdays one highschool summer trimming 14+ to 12.7 seconds... At the strip... Lol. Spending $0 on a $30 pre-unit BSA A10... Just because a friend dared to opine that no BSA twin could ever break into 12s... Lol. A life shaping experience. How'd @conite derive THAT number? ...Twilight Zone theme playing now... Haha....

I guess the answer to apparent irrelevance is the relevance itself... 12.7 seconds per week seems pretty insignificant. 12.7 seconds per minute could prove mighty significant during an 8 hour day of 480 minutes. (480)(12.7)=6096seconds=101.6munites=1hr, 42minutes... Per 8hr day... Significant? Lol

If replying to a prospect 12.7 seconds before your competitor does makes a difference??

More significant than 12.7 seconds, tho, might be distraction? Simple distractions might introduce COSTLY errors. Far more significant than time.

Of course, like everything else, advantages of multiple carry pretty much diminish with handset size. Most pockets easily accommodate 9900. Most hands readily accommodate that compact handset. Swappable batteries can eliminate wires altogether, btw. I'm a fan of multiple carry of 9900s and really don't notice the compact things in pocket, nor hand. Even T shirt pockets. But, lugging around multiple K sized giants that do NOT fit quite a few of my pockets, especially T pockets, nor my hand, loses most of the concept's appeal for me, tho.
    Honestly, I spend about 1/3 of my work day typing on my mobile device, and find almost no time wasted on overhead (time not typing while navigating my phone).

With one shortcut and/or widget, I'm doing what I need to do.

I get far more from a tiny increase in typing speed than from playing with multiple platforms to shave a hair off of overhead here and there.
    10-06-20 09:14 PM
    Honestly, I spend about 1/3 of my work day typing on my mobile device, and find almost no time wasted on overhead (time not typing while navigating my phone).

With one shortcut and/or widget, I'm doing what I need to do.

I get far more from a tiny increase in typing speed than from playing with multiple platforms to shave a hair off of overhead here and there.
    That makes perfect sense, for typing. I do a lot of that also and totally agree that multiple devices don't add much to that use case.

One example where multiple devices can assist significantly is multi tasking. How much typing do you get done during a voice call? Such as taking notes relevant to the call? Updating spreadsheets relevant to the call? Or, messaging coworkers relevant to the call? Looking up & setting calendar relevant to the call? updating contact list, etc, etc. If you do much of that, you might just find talking on one handset while typing on another to be somewhat less stressful than attempting to perform those things during a call on the same handset...?? That's just one example but see what I mean?
    10-06-20 09:42 PM
    That makes perfect sense, for typing. I do a lot of that also and totally agree that multiple devices don't add much to that use case.

One example where multiple devices can assist significantly is multi tasking. How much typing do you get done during a voice call? Such as taking notes relevant to the call? Updating spreadsheets relevant to the call? Or, messaging coworkers relevant to the call? Looking up & setting calendar relevant to the call? updating contact list, etc, etc. If you do much of that, you might just find talking on one handset while typing on another to be somewhat less stressful than attempting to perform those things during a call on the same handset...?? That's just one example but see what I mean?
    I can see that, yes. Unless I'm on speaker, it's impossible to multitask on a single device while on a call.
    10-06-20 09:44 PM
    I can see that, yes. Unless I'm on speaker, it's impossible to multitask on a single device while on a call.
    Well, "impossible" is frequently in the hand of the beholder... Hehe... I HAVE done some minimal multitasking with the right handset to ear... Tactile located PKB SpeedDials can be initiated, without looking, to start adding to a conference call... As one example... Something I trust thumb's muscle memory ONLY on 9900. Nine years of familiarity ya know... Lol

Even when multitasking during a speakerphone call, migrating to other apps can be risky, at best... Stressful, at least. Particularly at assuring a call is properly disconnected afterword. BBOS does it best... Physical end button means END. Nearly no matter what else is going on. BB10 second best. Sorta. Android is a hot mess for finding warm phuzzie 200%, absolutely positive disconnect after migrating to other apps during a call. imo.

Especially MAPS, in my experience. I frequently refer to MAPS during a call. Also to calendar. Sometimes to contacts to update caller's contact info... Not to mention spreadsheets, Word, email, sms... Much of which I like to continue at least some entry AFTER call disconnect... BBOS physical call "end" button ENDs the call but permits me to continue wrapping things up afterward with next to zero distraction. Some thoughts, relevant to a call, are best archived while most fresh in this stale old brain!

Each tiny millisecond of distraction during that critical period increases odds of reduced archival proficiency. If not outright error. It also increases odds that, a little later, I'll hear a little voice from the assumed disconnected handset... The caller asking if we're done... Lol.

Keeping voice calls separate from other activities is one main motive for dual carry for me. Frequently availed dozens, if not 100+, of times per day? Other motives also but just that one is enough for me.

Another motive that you might yet appreciate is that the same handset that provides my best typing productivity is really no longer capable of "other things"... if you're typing a third of your day, even slight wpm improvements prove significant... I've found that utilizing a dedicated typing appliance (9900) for typing optimizes daily typing productivity while carrying an LE optimizes the "other things"... 99 adds a solid 25% wpm over LE, in my hand... Something to ponder....?
    10-07-20 08:27 AM
    Here's hoping that the extra 12.7 seconds being saved by having all of these optimised devices for separate tasks are worth all of the extra charging, wires, weight, and having to wear overalls. Although I think @Chuck Finley69 considers that a business suit.
    The value to me of not being distracted during my workday is worth many thousands of dollars a year. Even if the Pixel 5 was my perfect phone, which it's not, I would buy two of them to segregate my activities. Android's notification scheme simply doesn't allow me the granularity I need to segregate notifications by context.

10-08-20 08:54 AM
    I have been dual carrying for a long time. Reason being is a secondary device for when the battery runs dead, so the sim can be swapped. Lol

Others have their appropriate reasons (dual carrier).

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    10-15-20 08:43 PM
    I have carried two phones and two networks since 1998, so always available if one phone/ network is out of action, originally two Nokia's then a Nokia and a Blackberry, now it's a Blackberry Classic and a secondary one a windows phone 8.1, hoping a replacement for the classic might arrive from the new company,
    Even if it's a Priv 2, time will tell.
    Leather_nun likes this.
    10-20-20 11:04 PM
    Never done it and honestly don't see the reason to. These new phones can do everything honestly.
    silent.one likes this.
    11-18-20 02:03 PM