coming back to bb from android, I've realized that it doesn't always work to do everything on one device. The playbook/bold combo rocks because the apps and advanced content is on a bigger screen, leaving the bold to stay communication only. The tight integration is perfect for this.

With bb10, our phones will basically be mini playbooks, rendering the PlayBook redundant. The same way I couldn't see a reason to carry an android phone and tab with an identical os and similar specs, why would I carry essentially two bb10 devices?

My second concern is that the playbook may "run bb10 apps", rather than us seeing apps optimized for playbook. There are pros and cons of a unified os, and now that I am sold on the concept of seperate but integrated devices, I am thinking out loud on the negative side.

Thoughts?
    03-05-12 10:55 PM
    Actually I'm kind of with you on this. When I was using an iphone, I could never justify an ipad. It basically does the same and feel the same. Only on a bigger screen.

Where as in the playbook's case, it actually compliments a blackberry phone nicely. Adding even more functionality to each other. In fact, the only bb10 phone I would consider is the one with physical keyboard. I don't see the point in which that both tablet and phone is both full touch screen.

Anyway, playbook will eventually run bb10. So I don't think it will matter. Anyway, what I think will happen, is people making apps for the playbook which will then be running on the bb10 phones as well.
    03-06-12 05:19 AM
    I have not yet seen a need for a tablet, and that's because my phone is a workhorse. That's a good thing (for me at least).

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    03-06-12 05:56 AM
    My friends and relatives who have android/apple phones, often stick to the same platform for tablets. Given the mini size of the phones, tablets will be much preferred for browsing, apps experience (eg. gaming), editing of documents will be better on the bigger screen too.

So I don't think it will render the pb redundant. If anything, it will continue to complement the pb with even more advanced functions
    03-06-12 11:41 AM
    My friends and relatives who have android/apple phones, often stick to the same platform for tablets. Given the mini size of the phones, tablets will be much preferred for browsing, apps experience (eg. gaming), editing of documents will be better on the bigger screen too.

So I don't think it will render the pb redundant. If anything, it will continue to complement the pb with even more advanced functions
    I agree with this.

My playbook is definitely fulfilling very different needs to my BB, regardless of my BB being my current old-torch or a new BB10 device.

While we will one day probably be able to run the same apps on PB and BB, the fact that the PB has a way meatier battery and a nice big screen makes it way better optimized for lots of things than any phone can be.

My phone is absolutely my workhorse. That's where I do my bbm and emailing, even though I could do it on my PB. It's all about convenience and on-the-go-ness that makes that work.

My playbook is my e-reader, pdf reader, document viewer, web browser, video player, combination SNES/Gameboy and generally is awesome at that. It certainly is much better for working on than a BB can be, simple because when I open a document or a PDF I can actually see it all. If I need to type, I can use my BB keyboard, or the touch one, or whatever.

I have always felt that it was a complete lie that any phone would ever be a primary web browser or video player, because those functions just annihilate battery life, and you can't just run it to death because you NEED your phone. So realistically you can only ever watch 2 hours of stuff before you have to stop.

Tablets are always the natural home for that stuff. And with BBs being so tightly integrated into the PB means that it is a genuine addition, not just 'another device'. Oh and being able to tether through my phone... Yeah. That's seriously useful.
    03-08-12 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD