There are more than several reasons, but it ultimately boils down to this:

BlackBerry market share in the US is almost the same as Windows Phone (within a percentage point and a half), yet BlackBerry gets almost all the severely negatively biased press, and nearly all of the point-of-sale bashing.

More importantly, Windows Phone also has a considerable advantage with apps for a fairly unknown reason. They have some name brand, top dog apps from companies and developers that refuse to develop for BlackBerry 10. Hmm...it would be one thing entirely if they refused for Windows Phone AND BlackBerry 10. Time is money. Business is business. I get it. But Windows Phone gets the action and BlackBerry 10 gets the cold shoulder? Not buying the excuses...

BlackBerry discrimination is a REAL thing. And if you think I'm joking, I encourage you to take a good, hard look around.

Lastly, BlackBerry essentially invented the smartphone. I frankly don't care what mistakes they've made. They do not deserve to fade away into nothingness. Not now...not ever.

This post serves two purposes primarily:

1. Increase awareness and promote taking action

2. Stop the rediculous counter-argument
    I've gotten in the past which is, "Oh, like the same way developers discriminate against SailFish and Ubuntu Edge?" Give me a break...it's not the same situation!

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-15-13 10:00 AM
    Do you feel bullied? Perhaps there are some class action lawsuits in your future.

Silliest thread of the day, but it is still early. Congratulations.

BlackBerry Discrimination indeed.
    08-15-13 10:07 AM
    Do you feel bullied? Perhaps there are some class action lawsuits in your future.

Silliest thread of the day, but it is still early. Congratulations.

BlackBerry Discrimination indeed.
    Silliest thread of the day, I can live with that.

Okay, you want to play the superlative game.

You are my least favorite member here of the year. You complain. You bicker. You act like you have all the answers. Yet you don't share any worthwhile insight. Oh, and the year is more than half over. Get cracking or get lost, respectively.

08-15-13 10:09 AM
    OK. So organize and storm the capital demanding equal rights.
    Donvald, TgeekB, Etios and 5 others like this.
    08-15-13 10:10 AM
    OK. So organize and storm the capital demanding equal rights.
    I have no idea why you were honored for your post count. Your sarcastic aura greatly deters from your contributory worth.

I'd rather one have a single good post than earn superficial respect from a big number.

08-15-13 10:12 AM
    Now now - don't take things so personally. Bullying and discrimination are very serious offenses. Have your civil rights been violated by this BlackBerry Discrimination? Visions of BGR and short sellers and Wall St. analysts? This could be important!

Then again, get over yourself. You don't like my take on things, feel free to ignore me. But I will continue to give my side of things, just as you do.
    08-15-13 10:13 AM
    I have no idea why you were honored for your post count.

Me either. It's just a number like bbry is just a company. I have no idea why some of you feel the company is more important than life.
    h20work, Donvald, Etios and 7 others like this.
    08-15-13 10:14 AM
    Wow...

I didn't know cellphones were human beings that you can discriminate against... You learn something new every day!
    h20work, jegs2, bekkay and 4 others like this.
    08-15-13 10:14 AM
    It's great all the love on this site you guys have for each other, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside
    08-15-13 10:15 AM
    No love, just laughter.
    h20work, kbz1960, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    08-15-13 10:16 AM
    Now now - don't take things so personally. Bullying and discrimination are very serious offenses. Have your civil rights been violated by this BlackBerry Discrimination? Visions of BGR and short sellers and Wall St. analysts? This could be important!

Then again, get over yourself. You don't my take on things, feel free to ignore me. But I will continue to give my side of things, just as you do.
    Your "take on things" most often consists solely of one-sentenced "BlackBerry had it but lost it and likely is dead now" replies rampant across these forums.

I elaborate. I was taught from a young age that you can have just about any opinion as long as you back it up.

I assure you, I'm not full of myself. I am just fed up with doom and gloom. And I'm fed up with BlackBerry Discrimination. I'm not bullied. I wish it were just me. All BlackBerry users are.

der_mit, Rezia, mujahid 10 and 3 others like this.
    08-15-13 10:17 AM
    So...

I must say that I find it a bit humorous and disappointing simultaneously that so quickly key individuals here took it upon themselves to insult my ideas as "silly", yet they provided no reason or insight in the slightest as to WHY BlackBerry 10 is discriminated against (or whatever term you want to use for "not given apps") compared to Windows Phone, which actually has the slightly less % of market share of the two.

...but whatever. It is to be expected.

08-15-13 10:24 AM
    Your "take on things" most often consists solely of one-sentenced "BlackBerry had it but lost it and likely is dead now" replies rampant across these forums.

I elaborate. I was taught from a young age that you can have just about any opinion as long as you back it up.

I assure you, I'm not full of myself. I am just fed up with doom and gloom. And I'm fed up with BlackBerry Discrimination. I'm not bullied. I wish it were just me. All BlackBerry users are.

Please. Your argument, such as it is, is that BB gets slammed with x market share, while WP does not (and also gets some apps) with the same x market share.

Was WP ever the king of the smartphone market with a huge market share that has now fallen to a barely visible sliver?

No.

End of thread.
    08-15-13 10:27 AM
    Please. Your argument, such as it is, is that BB gets slammed with x market share, while WP does not (and also gets some apps) with the same x market share.

Was WP ever the king of the smartphone market with a huge market share that has now fallen to a barely visible sliver?

No.

End of thread.
    ...But that doesn't really explain it. And it even more certainly doesn't justify anything.

Perhaps you can elaborate?

08-15-13 10:29 AM
    NOTE: Blackberry market share is not the same as BB10 market share.
    There are ~14 mln phones running WP8 vs ~5 mln running BB10 (These numbers are my estimation)
    STV0726 likes this.
    08-15-13 10:31 AM
    ...But that doesn't explain anything. Can you elaborate?

You have posted an opinion. No an explanation. Not even excuses. Why is your opinion more valid than others?

It isn't. It is just your opinion. A bullied, discriminated against, oppressed opinion.

This is what happens when you get emotionally involved with a company. IT'S A PHONE. Not a very successful one.
    bp3dots, JeepBB, h20work and 1 others like this.
    08-15-13 10:31 AM
    Wow...

I didn't know cellphones were human beings that you can discriminate against... You learn something new every day!
    It is possible to discriminate against anything.

To OP: BlackBerry brand definitely receives discrimination, especially at point of sale. But I don't go with the view that there is an anti BlackBerry conspiracy. BlackBerry's past is the cause of the effect we are witnessing.

Although having said that, Samsung have been exposed as paying off shills in the past, so anything is possible.

Posted via CB10
    brout and STV0726 like this.
    08-15-13 10:34 AM
    This is what happens when you get emotionally involved with a company. IT'S A PHONE.
    True, true. You got me there.

But what you are (probably intentionally) not admitting/realizing is that because many of us rely on our smartphones and how they operate so heavily these days, having to change platforms at this point would have a materially adverse effect on my productivity. It is more than simply adjusting. It is having to be annoyed every time I use whatever platform I will be forced to choose if BlackBerry dies.

08-15-13 10:36 AM
    With the way this conversation is going, I can see this thread getting locked soon, lol.

But, really, the story of Blackberry is just business as usual. Companies rise and fall all the time. Especially so if you're a technology company that isn't always innovating - You fall behind. A number of Crackberry members have to come to terms with the fact that Blackberry's current image, especially how developers and other companies view Blackberry's viability, was the company's own fault. You can't go on a two year innovation hiatus and expect to come out the other side unscathed. There is no "discrimination" here; this is just a matter of Blackberry stagnating for too long, allowing their brand to wither in the eyes of the public.
    08-15-13 10:37 AM
    Wow...

I think you may want to spend some quality time with Merriam-Webster: Discriminate - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    greenberry666 likes this.
    08-15-13 10:37 AM
    More importantly, Windows Phone also has a considerable advantage with apps for a fairly unknown reason. They have some name brand, top dog apps from companies and developers that refuse to develop for BlackBerry 10.
    There's nothing unknown about it. Microsoft has a much better developer incentive plan to entice app developers than BBRY does. Microsoft also makes deals with name brand app developers and tosses a few bones their way. In a nutshell, Microsoft does a better job at convincing developers that it's worth the effort to develop for them. BBRY's efforts to do the same falls significantly short.
    08-15-13 10:38 AM
    NOTE: Blackberry market share is not the same as BB10 market share.
    There are ~14 mln phones running WP8 vs ~5 mln running BB10 (These numbers are my estimation)
    Thank you for your constructive input on this thread.

08-15-13 10:38 AM
    OP, in the tech world, I think no company gets hammered more than M$. It's not discrimination, it's justified, IMHO.

BBRY was once the global giant in smartphones. They gave that away, IMHO. It's cause for derision from many people.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    08-15-13 10:40 AM
    There's nothing unknown about it. Microsoft has a much better developer incentive plan to entice app developers than BBRY does. Microsoft also makes deals with name brand app developers and tosses a few bones their way. In a nutshell, Microsoft does a better job at convincing developers that it's worth the effort to develop for them. BBRY's efforts to do the same falls significantly short.
    And thank you.

Here is reason #3 for this thread. To give it to BBRY plainly and simply. Here is a nutshell of what they need to do besides build more market share of BB10 in the US.

Sorry Clewely (or whatever BlackBerry official on Twitter said this), the "it begins with you" (you meaning us customers) approach is far from enough and is frankly a bit unacceptable.

Nevertheless, I assure you we have tried and continue to try to get developers to see the demand we BlackBerry users have. But it is up to you now. Get devs on board. Get point-of-sale staff on board. Do you want to keep the legend of BlackBerry alive or not?

08-15-13 10:41 AM
    It is possible to discriminate against anything.

To OP: BlackBerry brand definitely receives discrimination, especially at point of sale. But I don't go with the view that there is an anti BlackBerry conspiracy. BlackBerry's past is the cause of the effect we are witnessing.

Although having said that, Samsung have been exposed as paying off shills in the past, so anything is possible.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your input.

08-15-13 10:45 AM
178 123 ...