This is something that needs to be addressed ASAP. I agree it's just another reason to not consider a blackberry.

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    03-02-14 03:45 PM
    This is something that needs to be addressed ASAP. I agree it's just another reason to not consider a blackberry.

A reason not to get a BlackBerry because one is too lazy to type a full sentence and wants to use pictures to scrap the bottom of a barrel of a sms plan to indicate one's emotions. Thus implying that the sender has the linguistic capabilities similar to the level of neanderthals of the past, trying to be hip.

Duly noted.

Posted via CB on BB10
    g33kphr33k, Q10Bold and dragyn451 like this.
    03-02-14 04:10 PM
    I wonder how many of these special niche apps actually promote better communication when you can't work them across platforms? After a bit they seem to be more on the order of a form of game as opposed to improved communication. Nothing wrong with it but BlackBerry would be my last choice if that's what I'm interested in.

Posted via CB 10 on Z30
    03-02-14 04:10 PM
    A reason not to get a BlackBerry because one is too lazy to type a full sentence and wants to use pictures to scrap the bottom of a barrel of a sms plan to indicate one's emotions. Thus implying that the sender has the linguistic capabilities similar to the level of neanderthals of the past, trying to be hip.

Duly noted.

Posted via CB on BB10
    Heh, considering the person that sends me emojis the most has a 4.0 GPA, I beg to differ. Stop making excuses, seriously guys. Whether we need it or not doesn't really matter, it's the fact that we don't have it and other platforms do is what makes it something else blackberry is falling behind in! To think it's a "fad" of some sort is a long shot, considering it has been indulged in the unicode of browsers on desktops.
    matt0135 likes this.
    03-02-14 05:26 PM
    Heh, considering the person that sends me emojis the most has a 4.0 GPA, I beg to differ. Stop making excuses, seriously guys. Whether we need it or not doesn't really matter, it's the fact that we don't have it and other platforms do is what makes it something else blackberry is falling behind in! To think it's a "fad" of some sort is a long shot, considering it has been indulged in the unicode of browsers on desktops.
    Excuse me. If a phone has limited capabilities, I think that for all the reasons good and bad, users will adapt, even if they have to reply back with " I don't understand what you're typing / saying". However as per the post I have quoted above, clearly somebody had the intention to just take a cheap potshot, and I seriously doubt that lacking Emosi support via sms on a oh one (if regardless whether it is trendy or not) will be a deal breaker in considering a phone. Thus, are users of phones who do not use emojis are eligible to be ridiculed, or the group of users who use a phone which was not designed with emojis in the first place mandates a "worthy-to-be-ridiculed at" tag?

I doubt it.

Posted via CB on BB10
    03-02-14 06:19 PM

Duly noted.

Posted via CB on BB10
    You can say whatever you like, however the majority of people DO use emojis, and if you expect the population of people who don't use them to support blackberry as a company then I don't think they will be around for very long. And emojis can sum up feelings that would be impossible / too long to explain in a text- where texts are usually supposed to be shorter msgs not essays. If you want to have a longer conversation, there's this awesome call feature with every cellular device.

He who has never used an emoji in their entire life be the first to cast a stone.

.... Thought so.

03-02-14 06:21 PM
    Excuse me. If a phone has limited capabilities, I think that for all the reasons good and bad, users will adapt, even if they have to reply back with " I don't understand what you're typing / saying". However as per the post I have quoted above, clearly somebody had the intention to just take a cheap potshot, and I seriously doubt that lacking Emosi support via sms on a oh one (if regardless whether it is trendy or not) will be a deal breaker in considering a phone. Thus, are users of phones who do not use emojis are eligible to be ridiculed, or the group of users who use a phone which was not designed with emojis in the first place mandates a "worthy-to-be-ridiculed at" tag?

I doubt it.

Posted via CB on BB10
    In my defense I made a simple statement, which I am more than entitled to do especially since I own a bb10 device. Sorry if you take offense so easily.

03-02-14 06:24 PM
    You can say whatever you like, however the majority of people DO use emojis, and if you expect the population of people who don't use them to support blackberry as a company then I don't think they will be around for very long. And emojis can sum up feelings that would be impossible / too long to explain in a text- where texts are usually supposed to be shorter msgs not essays. If you want to have a longer conversation, there's this awesome call feature with every cellular device.

He who has never used an emoji in their entire life be the first to cast a stone.

.... Thought so.

Emojis used to sum up feelings that would be impossible to explain.

Right.

So thousands of years of linguistic evolution is impossible to explain a feeling.

Yeah, right.

By the way, please quantify "majority" in imperialistic measurements since you claim "majority". I know many people use emojis. But majority? What measuring tools dis you use?

So sms is supposed to be "shorter". Please define such a shorter term that sms was designed with it. People can write up long or short if they so choose to, even if they have to repeat within sending multiple sms-es.

Did I claim the population that does not use emojis must / should support BlackBerry? Absorb claims. I am only string with or without emojis people will still work around, and clarify if they have to, emojis or not.

Posted via CB on BB10
    03-02-14 06:30 PM
    In my defense I made a simple statement, which I am more than entitled to do especially since I own a bb10 device. Sorry if you take offense so easily.

In my defense, you replied to my post and claiming that you were right without even giving a proper imperial measurement to back up your statement. So again, tell me, who is now offended having to resort to "everyone does it" argument again?

I don't really get it but I am not against it. But taking a cheap potshot at a company just because it doesn't have emojis support on sms and expect to get away without a rebuttal isn't going to happen. Especially when that comment was not made in contributing spirit to the thread.

Posted via CB on BB10
    03-02-14 06:34 PM
    Unless you are 12 emoji should not dictate whether you buy A phone or not

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque, Q10Bold and drmike like this.
    03-02-14 06:35 PM
    Why are emoji's so important anyway? I don't miss 'em.

Sent from my fabulously white Blackberry Q5!
    03-02-14 06:57 PM

Duly noted.

Posted via CB on BB10
    Agreed. What the f**k is is emoj. If I wanted to speak Japanese I will learn japanese.

My Z30 just keeps me moving.....
    03-02-14 07:14 PM

.... Thought so.

Give me a few minutes, I'll have to dig through a couple feet of snow to find a rock. Not unlike the one I've apparently been living under since I had to look up emoji as well. I would find it pretty doubtful that the majority of people out there use them or even know what they are. I'm not saying there are ten or hundreds of millions of people using them, but not a majority.
    03-02-14 07:26 PM
    Give me a few minutes, I'll have to dig through a couple feet of snow to find a rock. Not unlike the one I've apparently been living under since I had to look up emoji as well. I would find it pretty doubtful that the majority of people out there use them or even know what they are. I'm not saying there are ten or hundreds of millions of people using them, but not a majority.
    A simple example of an emoji is a smiley face or a winking face. I consider that an emoji or maybe I'm confusing terms? Emoticon is the same thing right? (not trying to be a wise *** I'm actually inquiring) I find it hard to believe most people haven't used once of those or seen that before. That's all I'm saying lol

03-02-14 08:11 PM
    Suggesting bbm because BlackBerry doesn't have something is.
    That's misreading what the poster said....

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 08:20 PM
    But we can...just use the Autotext to create a word that put emojis in.
    Push the space bar and youve got Emojis
    Example:
    #snowman - ☃
    #this - ☞
    etc.
    Blackberry fans should be the most sought after employees in field like engineering, becuase they can find a workaround for anything.
    pwee111111 likes this.
    03-02-14 08:26 PM
    In my defense, you replied to my post and claiming that you were right without even giving a proper imperial measurement to back up your statement. So again, tell me, who is now offended having to resort to "everyone does it" argument again?

I don't really get it but I am not against it. But taking a cheap potshot at a company just because it doesn't have emojis support on sms and expect to get away without a rebuttal isn't going to happen. Especially when that comment was not made in contributing spirit to the thread.

Posted via CB on BB10
    The everyone does it argument? Lol I could care less if nobody else did it, but I use them so there is my argument. Maybe this concept of emoticons/emojis or whatever you want to call them is new to a blackberry user, but having used other platforms it's quite common for me. I was not taking a "cheap potshot" at BlackBerry, I'm merely pointing out a weakness that should be fixed,whether you use the feature or not.

In terms of your request for what I consider a majority, maybe I speak more for the younger generation. Because the majority of younger generations (people under 30 I would argue) do use emojis. As for measuring tools it is my opinion, I'm not stating an exact fact, so it does not require a tool. I used the experience from what I learned at my time in retail electronics.

I suppose it is a culture thing but for me text msging is not for lengthy conversation. It's more to the point. If you prefer to write paragraphs upon paragraphs to people then I couldn't blame them if they don't read it all. I know I don't. But if that's how you text then so be it. Your phone. You do what you like.

I'm not interested in a history lesson on linguistics, and also you chose to ignore that I also said you can express feelings but it may be harder to do so over text. I merely made my original comment to push for something I believe the bb10 platform should have.

Why is there so much hate when someone gives some constructive criticism about BlackBerry? It's my brand of choice for heavens sake, but God forbid I point out a flaw. You don't think my post provided a healthy contribution towards the thread? I'll agree to disagree with you on that. But please don't try to act all superior in attempts to shut down others people arguments/thoughts. It's downright rude.

03-02-14 08:30 PM
    A simple example of an emoji is a smiley face or a winking face. I consider that an emoji or maybe I'm confusing terms? Emoticon is the same thing right? (not trying to be a wise *** I'm actually inquiring) I find it hard to believe most people haven't used once of those or seen that before. That's all I'm saying lol

Emoji is just one of many makers of emoticons. Emoticons is the whole.smiley faces and emoji just make good ones.

It's saying tvs and Samsung. Samsung make popular tvs but Samsung does not equal tv ah bad analogy but you get it

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 08:40 PM
    Being a 19yr old I often wish I could use emoji or some form of emoticon that can be seen on other platforms but to even say this is a weakness of the OS is stretching it.. in fact I remember with ios it was an app you downloaded and installed the keyboard.. it didn't come pre-installed back then idk about now that I left that sorry pos

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 08:42 PM

An emoji and an emoticon are similar, but from what I could discern from a quick Google search, not the same thing. I've used emoticons certainly, as I would agree a good amount of the people under 30 likely have as well. As far as support for emoji's, I wouldn't think it wouldn't be a priority, but I don't see why Blackberry couldn't add it in.
    03-02-14 08:44 PM
    An emoji and an emoticon are similar, but from what I could discern from a quick Google search, not the same thing. I've used emoticons certainly, as I would agree a good amount of the people under 30 likely have as well. As far as support for emoji's, I wouldn't think it wouldn't be a priority, but I don't see why Blackberry couldn't add it in.
    Awesome. That's all I was trying to get across! I just don't think it would be so difficult to implement so it could be a very minor addition to the os. But then again I'm not a developer so it could be a challenging project. It's not like I will use my z30 any less because of lack of support.

03-02-14 08:49 PM
    LMAO

I ******* hate it when people jump hoops to excuse BlackBerry's flaws, which could be easily fixed. This is the kind of mentality that's going to sink this company. "I don't use Emojis so why should I have them?" = denial.
    03-02-14 08:50 PM
    Is there an emoji that expresses not caring about emojis at all?

Joking aside, though they are something many could care less about using, it wouldn't hurt to add the support for those that want them. Though there are probably higher priorities to be dealt with...

Posted via BBCBZ10
    03-02-14 09:05 PM
    The young love the emojis, how can I defend my phone compared to to others when I say I can't get emojis.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 12:44 AM
    LMAO

I ******* hate it when people jump hoops to excuse BlackBerry's flaws, which could be easily fixed. This is the kind of mentality that's going to sink this company. "I don't use Emojis so why should I have them?" = denial.
    Emojis will sink BlackBerry. Lol. Ok Apollo.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-03-14 12:56 AM
106 1234 ...