What is the triton?
    Check out the Thread in this section on the BlackBerry 4G

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 10:45 PM
    Perhaps, except that any LTE device will have to also be backwards compatible. So, not like it won't work now.

If S3 is delayed to next year, it's because it's an LTE device. If you get yourself into a snit and buy something else, you'll still want to switch again when the VZW 4G network is rolled out.

06-18-10 01:07 AM
    I'd like to know why RIM can't make Surepress an OS option. Then everyone can STFU and use whichever they feel more comfortable with. Heck, they could even ship the phone with a couple of tiny plastic wedges to shove under the screen to ensure it stays totally immobile for the pure touch-screen fans.

After witnessing RIM's (rumored) crackdown on OS leaks this past year, I'm betting they've taken a lesson from Apple and holding their cards close to the vest. Especially when they're allegedly releasing 6 devices this year, it's to their benefit to focus media attention narrowly on the product to launch next.

But day-um, the Storm forum is still the most heavily trafficked on Crackberry, and there's no doubt a whole bunch of us original Storm 1 users who signed 2-year contracts getting antsy for info on a replacement phone. I'd love to stray to Android, but my employer pays my ticket so I'm leashed to Blackberry. I'm mostly happy with my Storm and love Surepress, hate physical keyboards, so have high hopes there's something good in the works with the name "Storm3" on it!
    06-18-10 08:03 AM
    The Storm 3 could be a total hit I think if they ditched the Surepress bs. Make it strictly capacitive touch like the iphone and HTC EVO and I picture a much more solid and sexy device. Then give it a real web browser, Wifi hotspot capability, 1Ghz processor, 1 GB memory, best in class screen resolution, at least a 5mp camera with dual LED flash, and ability to record video at 720p resolution.

If they did something like that, while keeping all of the "easy" Blackberry stuff like push email, I would be like dude, your iphone 4 (or whatever) sucks compared to this powerhouse. I'm guessing if it's not on the schedule for 2010 then it could very well be RIM's first LTE phone for Verizon, which would also be super hot.
    This phone sounds more like the storm 5 or 6. Remember, RIM takes baby steps. Not leaps.
    06-18-10 08:10 AM
    I just want to hear something concrete soon. I'm up for NE2 the first week of August, and the dust under my screen is driving me nuts, so I'm not going to wait any longer than I have to to get a new phone. Other than the dust and a few other minor annoyances, I really like my Storm (1).

That being said, IF I don't hear anything concrete (or a reliable leak) soon, I'm going to take advantage of my NE2 and have to decide if I want to stick with the surepress with the S2 or go to the Incredible, or DroidX. If we do get a leak before then saying that the S3 will be available late this year or early next year, I'll suck it up and keep my S1 (probably pay the $50 out of warranty fee for a FRU-swap) for a few months. If the leak says it'll be out late next year, I'll probably use NE2 now for a phone and have to pay a little more for a one year early upgrade discount.

Any recommendations on which phones you guys prefer on the S2 vs DroidX vs Incredible? (yes, I realize most/all of you haven't used the later 2, but you sound more informed than I am on what to expect with them)
    Last edited by drjay868; 06-18-10 at 08:48 AM.
    06-18-10 08:46 AM
    It may be too late. We have hundreds of BB's on a BES but lately we have been letting people use GMM (Good Mobile Messaging) on their personal iPx (Phone and Pad), Driods, or Win devices. We save money on BES licenses, hardware, and phone bills. Since the CEO and crew love it we have dropped our BB foot print.
    06-18-10 10:13 AM
    why all the hate for surepress. Surepress is awesome for typing purposes, i am a ton more reliable in my typing then people i know with a nexus one or iphone etc. I would be willing to bet most of the surepress haters have never even tried it. I can type faster on my storm2 then i could on my Tour or curve 8330 or curve 8900. I only wish they allowed you to control the click and how it interacts with events better.

I fully agree, like I said I wasn't sure about surepress until I used it for myself. Now i feel it is one thing that does set apart the Storm from other touchscreen devices, in a very positive way. The old surepress on storm1 with the one button was crappy, but the storm2 method utilizing the piezo disc system works very well and it is a good system. Like I said most Surepress haters have never used the technology or used it for an hour and didnt get through the learning curve.
    First and foremost, ladies and gentlemen, take the time to notice the sheer comedic genius on TheAnswer3's pin status. It doesn't go unnoticed my friend. it doesn't go unnoticed.

Now as for the Storm 1,2, and 3 surepress debate: I'm all for surepress. Like theanswer3 said, no other phone has permitted me to text as fast as I do, and I'm something kind of ridiculously fast with texting on Storm 1 as it was. However, Storm1 had it's well noted deficiencies. Storm2 easily corrected those issues, and while not perfect, it is by far the best texting experience on any phone BB or other.

There is a learning curve to using the Storm2, but I don't even think it'll take an hour to really figure out and get acclimated with. So thinking of continuing the Storm series without surepress tech, in my humble opinion, is lunacy. it's one of the biggest attributes the series has that separates itself from any other phone, and pushes it ahead of the pack in that major area of use.

I haven't been able to determine if the Elicite labs sneak peak at the Storm 3 info is accurate or not, but the concept of the phone will blow any phone out of the water for the next decade if it's true. Most want to say it's impossible to create, but that's not true at all. The hybrid tech is not just theoretical. Now if RIM decides to take this gigantic leap, it will easily trump all competition and place RIM at the top of the list for the foreseeable future.
    06-22-10 11:25 AM
    I just want to hear something concrete soon. I'm up for NE2 the first week of August, and the dust under my screen is driving me nuts, so I'm not going to wait any longer than I have to to get a new phone. Other than the dust and a few other minor annoyances, I really like my Storm (1).

That being said, IF I don't hear anything concrete (or a reliable leak) soon, I'm going to take advantage of my NE2 and have to decide if I want to stick with the surepress with the S2 or go to the Incredible, or DroidX. If we do get a leak before then saying that the S3 will be available late this year or early next year, I'll suck it up and keep my S1 (probably pay the $50 out of warranty fee for a FRU-swap) for a few months. If the leak says it'll be out late next year, I'll probably use NE2 now for a phone and have to pay a little more for a one year early upgrade discount.

Any recommendations on which phones you guys prefer on the S2 vs DroidX vs Incredible? (yes, I realize most/all of you haven't used the later 2, but you sound more informed than I am on what to expect with them)
    I think it should definitely be an selectable option in the OS that turns it off. In the Storm2, you might not know since you're using a Storm1, the surepress tech is all handled electronically and not with moving parts like in your model. When you turn off the phone, the screen locks itself in place and prevents any movement. So that kind of coding to lock the screen can be implemented into the options to solve the like/dislike of surepress tech on any future renditions.

As for the potential phone switch, honestly, any of the Droids would be superior to the Storm 1 or 2, but I say wait it out. I'm all for the Storm, lacking abilities and all. Wait it out, and hope the Storm3 is what it's rumored to be, or even close to it. If it is, you could ignore anything else other companies put out.
    06-22-10 11:43 AM
    I have a Storm 1 and loved it despite it's problems.

However I have now got a Dell Streak which has a 5" screen and is on Android.

I wanted a 4.3" screen but the only one in the UK is the HTC HD2 and there is no wy I will ever use a winmo device. I'd rather start writing letters again..

I really miss the SurePress screan.

I will never go back to a 3.5/3.7" screen again. 4.3" is now the minimun for me.

I would be more than happy to return to a Storm 4 as my Steak contract will be up in November 2011 IF it has 4.3" screen, SurePress, a real browser and a stable OS.
    06-22-10 12:21 PM
    Seriously. The Elicite video is a joke. I think it even says so on their website.

I'm due for a NE2 next month and would VERY much like to stick with BB and the Storm3, but if they don't say something soon, I'm going to have to bail. My Storm1 memory problems are just getting too problematic to continue to deal with, especially with something like the Incredible/Droid X available/on the near horizon.

The only thing keeping me with BB/Verizon right now is the email. I don't use BBM. IF Droid can provide me with a reasonable email experience AND I don't hear anything about the S3, then I'm probably going to jump ship... even thought I would rather stay.

Scott

-----------

Desperate for new, reliable S3 news!!!
    06-22-10 04:09 PM
    i skimmed through the entries here (and forgive me if I missed any mention), but some of you may heard that when some of the storm 3 info was reported so was info on the storm 4.

I can find a link or you guys can just google "blackberry storm 3", but info regarding the strom 4 is mentioned beside the storm 3.

Storm 4 is mentioned to be another take on the "iphone" killer idea. It will ,based on the reading, be revolutionary, rather then evolutionary which is what the storm 3 seems to be.

I'll hold off on the storm 3 until some storm 4 info appears.
    06-24-10 04:13 PM
    I think I'll just get a 9800. I'm on Bell so i can easily switch from my 9530.
    06-24-10 04:20 PM
    i skimmed through the entries here (and forgive me if I missed any mention), but some of you may heard that when some of the storm 3 info was reported so was info on the storm 4.

I can find a link or you guys can just google "blackberry storm 3", but info regarding the strom 4 is mentioned beside the storm 3.

Storm 4 is mentioned to be another take on the "iphone" killer idea. It will ,based on the reading, be revolutionary, rather then evolutionary which is what the storm 3 seems to be.

Yeah but that gets into the argurment that RIM would release a S3 in Q4 2010 and then an S4 in Q 2 2011. I think people thought the slider was the S3 because it has a touch screen. The early reports where that the S3 had a slide out keyboard. I think the Slider (bold/torch 9800) is what some analysts referred to as the evolutionary storm 3 several months ago and the Revolutionary storm 4 is what will actually be the S3.

But of they don't leak something more concrete soon than a lot of S1 owners will be on droid X's come 7/15.

06-24-10 04:22 PM

Seriously?

You don't think the CrackBerry members here have tried googling for information on the Storm 3?!? The problem is that there isn't any REPUTABLE information on the Storm 3. You really should read this and the other 10-20 threads on this topic.

Scott
    06-24-10 04:34 PM
    Yeah but that gets into the argurment that RIM would release a S3 in Q4 2010 and then an S4 in Q 2 2011. I think people thought the slider was the S3 because it has a touch screen. The early reports where that the S3 had a slide out keyboard. I think the Slider (bold/torch 9800) is what some analysts referred to as the evolutionary storm 3 several months ago and the Revolutionary storm 4 is what will actually be the S3.
    That can't be correct in this case, because the article you are referring to specifically said that the Storm 3 had "perfected Surepress", which couldn't apply to either the slider or the clamshell.

I'm not vouching for the article, and even if sourced accurately roadmaps can change. But if that's the source we are inferring from it clearly was referring to two generations of Storm devices IMO,

But of they don't leak something more concrete soon than a lot of S1 owners will be on droid X's come 7/15.
    Indeed, that's my very problem (replacing the date with 8/1). I'd wait for a October/November S3 if it had reasonable specs (even if it wasn't an "iPhone killer") but I'm not going to wait blindly if there's no information go go on, and I'm not going to drop good money and an upgrade discount on a Storm 2 at this point in the game.
    06-27-10 06:28 PM
    That can't be correct in this case, because the article you are referring to specifically said that the Storm 3 had "perfected Surepress", which couldn't apply to either the slider or the clamshell.
    Ummm. I was not referring to any article. A few months back there was a lot of 'analyst' chatter about Storm 3 being a slider with a touch screen. That is what I referred to. Not a specific article.
    I'm not vouching for the article, and even if sourced accurately roadmaps can change. But if that's the source we are inferring from it clearly was referring to two generations of Storm devices IMO,

Indeed, that's my very problem (replacing the date with 8/1). I'd wait for a October/November S3 if it had reasonable specs (even if it wasn't an "iPhone killer") but I'm not going to wait blindly if there's no information go go on, and I'm not going to drop good money and an upgrade discount on a Storm 2 at this point in the game.
    Agreed. Sal just dropped some good info on early Storm 3 specs. (sal has been very reliable so I take this a somewhat accurate). He basically says 1ghz processor, org 512 mb flash but they are now testing 1gb, new screen input (not SurePress), new OS (not OS6)...oh, and LTE support. He said it should be the first or 2nd device running LTE for VZW. There could be an android device that drops first.

So it all comes to how well this is executed, but it sounds like RIM pulled their heads outta the sand last year some time.

06-28-10 06:31 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD