You must be on a Nexus or Moto X.
    Surely those two can't represent the entire Android platform as it is too diversified.
    Let me go deeper with the following example.
    I like the HTC one build quality, but it lacks the camera performance I'd be looking for and lacks micro SD.
    S4 : Touch wiz is nobody's cup of tea, cheap build quality.
    N5: great performance but battery life is a no no. Lacks SD also.

Based on these view points, there's no one Android Phone does it all for me.
    That's why a Tablet would satisfy my needs better. My Motorola Xoom passed out recently.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. I use a rooted EVO LTE, which is definitely not representative of wide scale usage. I'm old-school; one reason I didn't upgrade to the One was lack of SD slot.

The OEM situation in Android is a blessing and a curse, IMHO. So many options, so little standardized stuff. Google should have streamlined this much sooner, as I think it would improve the overall user experience. I think being so successful can be a drawback, because Google was hungrier (IMHO) when it wanted the platform to grow.

Also, the day Android is no longer a benefit to Google, say goodbye.
    03-20-14 03:51 PM
    The real question is that if they really didn't want to steal your personal information then why do they need access to it at all?

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy white Q10.
    Clearly it is to steal your identity and all your monies from the bank

I guess you missed the part that said:

The app requires several permissions including PHONE_STATE for the automatic setting of wallpapers, CONTACT_READ and CONTACT_WRITE to set a Backgrounds as a “Contact Icon” for your contacts.
    I would think that to use ringtones for certain contacts that it would need to get into your contacts to do this, nothing nefarious like you seem to think.
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-20-14 03:52 PM
    It is my opinion that I don't like android.

It is not an opinion it's a absolute fact that they scan, steal and track your data 24/7 on any android device. Any android update uploads over 500 pieces of personal info straight to Google. That's not even including the Bs app permissions.

Look at the permissions on pretty much any Google app. Their ridiculous.

It is a fact that BlackBerry doesn't data mine you. They let you shut down all app permissions that you choose.

Please wake up and inform yourself on the information you are really giving google.

You say you've programed android apps to access unnecessary permissions and then indicate that Google is getting the information. Wouldn't you as the app developer be the one to collect the nefariously obtained information? So where is it? Show us what you got. Show us the reams of information you obtained and how much you were able to sell it for.

Then and only then would I be willing to listen to your rhetoric as the self proclaimed android security breach expert.
    pankaler likes this.
    03-20-14 03:53 PM
    Actually Tre you are so right. Painful. I keep fighting with this attraction to Windows Phone, particularly since I've learned how to encrypt it because I can assign my own policies with EAS that enable those sort of device functions. I have an ATIV S Neo and go to activate it for a couple days, then right back to my BB. A few years of loyalty to a platform doesn't ever seem to quite break does it.
    Man, I am enjoying WP8 a great deal. It's different, yes, and there are some rough edges IMHO, but if MSFT rocks it right, sky is the limit. You learned how to encrypt yours?

I am seriously considering returning to a GSM carrier so i can switch out devices more often. The only thing keeping me from using BB10 as a daily driver are a few apps and backup functionality.
    03-20-14 03:55 PM
    It's not just about a wallpaper app look at the app permissions for pretty much any app.
    Any app? Are you really trying to say any app? You're using one example in which the user would have to be extremely careless in reviewing app permission. Using that one example, please provide a logical or rational argument that applies to every or any app. The flaw there is apparent to everybody but you apparently.

Try to download any app on android and it is rare and in-between that you ever find an app that asks for no permissions or just one.
    There are tons of them. Yes, tons... ie... several, majority, many, a lot.

Android is great software. But wake up people. Google made billions selling your info and data to the highest bidders and advertising companies.
    Please, present one singular example where Google sold a user's data to any one entity. Seriously... please provide it.

When you update android, Google collects over 500 peices of personal info from your device.
    Please please provide evidence to this. Provide one iota of evidence that Google collects one iota of information that was not freely provided by the user. By all means do it.
    Tre Lawrence and randall2580 like this.
    03-20-14 04:25 PM
    The only person here who is misinformed is you. I am a computer programmer and coder and I know how these apps are built and made. They usually hide the more major app permissions in the "show all" tab in android permissions.

Please run along back to android since you clearly don't give a damn about security.

Here's more proof. The same app on android and BlackBerry 10. It asks for one permission on BlackBerry 10 your BlackBerry pin so it knows how to direct a video to your device, verses pretty much all of them on android.

Attachment 256819

You can't "hide" app permissions. A developer can't bury them. I too am a coder. The difference is that I didn't take one class, buy a few books to carry under an arm, and claim to be a programmer/coder to convince others that I am an expert.
    Cynycl, TgeekB, mikeo007 and 2 others like this.
    03-20-14 04:29 PM
    Your comment makes zero sense because BlackBerry is built on privacy and security. It's why the president and huge corporations use it. They are not data mining your info like apple and Google. Please wake up.

c) Aggregated or anonymous information

RIM reserves the right to process, sell, trade or rent aggregated or anonymous information that is not associated with or linked to an identifiable individual.

e) Information sharing

In accordance with this Privacy Policy, RIM may share your personal information within RIM or with our service providers. RIM may also share information with our financial, insurance, legal, accounting or other advisors that provide professional services to RIM. RIM may also share information in a manner consistent with this Privacy Policy with third parties involved in providing RIM Offerings to you including airtime service providers, authorized resellers, distributors, merchants of record or payment processors, subcontractors or entities participating in RIM's supply or repair chains.

In certain situations where you purchase or use a Third Party Offering (e.g. paid content subscription service, downloaded application), RIM may share certain information with the third party for purposes of providing you with the product, service or software and your information will then be subject to the third party's privacy policy. We encourage all our users to learn about the privacy practices of such third parties before agreeing to purchase or obtain their products, services or software.

RIM uses contractual or other means to provide a comparable level of protection while the information is being processed by our service providers. It is RIM's policy to enter into confidentiality obligations with any third party that obtains confidential information including personal information from RIM. For example, except where RIM is required or permitted by law to disclose personal information, our service providers to whom we provide your personal information typically agree to hold the information in confidence and only use the information for the purposes for which it was provided or to comply with applicable laws.

In the event of the sale of all or a portion of RIM's assets, RIM may provide personal information to the third party purchaser.

RIM may utilize third parties (e.g. advertising networks) to target advertisements at non-personally identifiable attributes or aggregated data that is derived from profile data processed by RIM, and provide such third parties with general statistics relating to the advertisements delivered. Please visit the section below on "Managing your preferences" for more information on managing marketing or commercial communications from RIM.
    03-20-14 04:35 PM

RIM reserves the right to process, sell, trade or rent aggregated or anonymous information that is not associated with or linked to an identifiable individual.

e) Information sharing

In accordance with this Privacy Policy, RIM may share your personal information within RIM or with our service providers. RIM may also share information with our financial, insurance, legal, accounting or other advisors that provide professional services to RIM. RIM may also share information in a manner consistent with this Privacy Policy with third parties involved in providing RIM Offerings to you including airtime service providers, authorized resellers, distributors, merchants of record or payment processors, subcontractors or entities participating in RIM's supply or repair chains.

In certain situations where you purchase or use a Third Party Offering (e.g. paid content subscription service, downloaded application), RIM may share certain information with the third party for purposes of providing you with the product, service or software and your information will then be subject to the third party's privacy policy. We encourage all our users to learn about the privacy practices of such third parties before agreeing to purchase or obtain their products, services or software.

RIM uses contractual or other means to provide a comparable level of protection while the information is being processed by our service providers. It is RIM's policy to enter into confidentiality obligations with any third party that obtains confidential information including personal information from RIM. For example, except where RIM is required or permitted by law to disclose personal information, our service providers to whom we provide your personal information typically agree to hold the information in confidence and only use the information for the purposes for which it was provided or to comply with applicable laws.

In the event of the sale of all or a portion of RIM's assets, RIM may provide personal information to the third party purchaser.

RIM may utilize third parties (e.g. advertising networks) to target advertisements at non-personally identifiable attributes or aggregated data that is derived from profile data processed by RIM, and provide such third parties with general statistics relating to the advertisements delivered. Please visit the section below on "Managing your preferences" for more information on managing marketing or commercial communications from RIM.
    This statement makes no sense. Wake up.
    pantlesspenguin and Cynycl like this.
    03-20-14 04:39 PM
    This statement makes no sense. Wake up.
    Aw mom! Just 5 more minutes?
    Cynycl and Tre Lawrence like this.
    03-20-14 04:48 PM
    hate android,needs android apps to survive,
    03-20-14 05:16 PM
    It is my opinion that I don't like android.

It is not an opinion it's a absolute fact that they scan, steal and track your data 24/7 on any android device. Any android update uploads over 500 pieces of personal info straight to Google. That's not even including the Bs app permissions.

Look at the permissions on pretty much any Google app. Their ridiculous.

It is a fact that BlackBerry doesn't data mine you. They let you shut down all app permissions that you choose.

Please wake up and inform yourself on the information you are really giving google.

Mr Chen, is that you?
    03-20-14 05:23 PM
    Well five minutes of scrolling through flipboard brings two interest articles. The first is that the whitehouse is looking into android and iPhone use for staff including the big man. Second is Google now encrypting all gmail for all connections and devices.

Those awful Google android criminals
    03-20-14 05:30 PM
    I think this is kind of a silly thread.

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-20-14 05:35 PM

e) Information sharing

Well, it didn't take very long to get the TOS on here. Vindication!!!! Ok everyone, the cat's out of the bag. Since RIM is assumed to be on the same level of data mining as Google, you need to immediately throw away your BB devices. We have been duped. At least I have a good Kohler and my small Torch, it only took one flush.
    03-20-14 05:47 PM
    This is from Google's TOS - in additional to what BlackBerry's has already said (although Google does put it in much less 'business' language.

This was the part that stopped me from using Google docs.

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services."

I realize that buried in every cloud data service provider there is probably something similar - but it still kind of bugs me.

For the record - I only hate android, Google, apple, windows and even BlackBerry sometimes. Generally when I'm having to fix them. And if I'm being completely honest the whole i-everything has really started to get on my nerves - but mostly from totally non tech related companies.

To use - I personally prefer BlackBerry. I don't, however, require that anyone else around me does so.

Other than that I'm constantly amazed and impressed with the abilities of our technological world and I'm always looking forward to the next improvement - no matter where it comes from.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-20-14 06:27 PM
    The more people tell me why I shouldn't hate Android, the more I hate Android.
    03-20-14 06:48 PM
    No Bear!!! I hope you didn't throw away your BB's! Now you are up a creek without a salmon.
    03-20-14 06:56 PM
    Goood gooooooooood!!! Give in to your anger!!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-20-14 07:01 PM
    Another hilarious thread filled with people needing to prove they are right by attempting (poorly) to knock another platform. Very entertaining.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    03-20-14 07:05 PM
    Another hilarious thread filled with people needing to prove they are right by attempting (poorly) to knock another platform. Very entertaining.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I bet you love searching for these threads.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-20-14 07:10 PM
    I bet you love searching for these threads.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I just search for you and "poof", there it is!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    jvinp likes this.
    03-20-14 07:18 PM
    I just search for you and "poof", there it is!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Good stuff. Keep me on bookmarks. Lol!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-20-14 07:22 PM
    Good stuff. Keep me on bookmarks. Lol!

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    The Dave bookmark, good idea! Lol. JK.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-20-14 07:25 PM
    Android is fine...
    You just need to be careful.

In other words, it requires some important knowledge on how to implement security on your own.

It's not tricky though, it just need some effort.

But, if you don't want that kind of stuff, then BlackBerry is for you.

If you need Google services, then you should take the consequences that comes with android.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 07:30 PM
    Nobody hates Android. It is just the face of an appliance.

Kind of like hating your toaster's wiring.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-20-14 07:33 PM
385 ... 34567 ...