More than you think. I have seen common android users have different icon packs and launchers from the play store. My post is ancedotal but I think that with hundreds of thousands of downloads for launchers on the play store, I doubt it`s a small number.
    Hundreds of thousands is a small number when you consider the 100s of millions of android users.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-22-14 04:18 PM
    That would be fantastic but seems like everyone, Samsung esp, are taking Apples approach to cross platform syncing/bridging. Unfortunately.
    The closed garden you mean? Yeah, I hate that but understand it from a business pov. Maybe the new BlackBerry will take a more open, cross platform approach. I can dream. =)

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 05:08 PM
    Well yeah, except that lately Android gets more love on CrackBerry than BlackBerry does.

Attachment 257441
    BlackBerry should listen to users of all platforms to better understand what people want in a smartphone. It's not about loving one over another, it's about improving the customer experience.

Posted via my awesome Nexus 5!
    03-22-14 05:31 PM
    BlackBerry should listen to users of all platforms to better understand what people want in a smartphone. It's not about loving one over another, it's about improving the customer experience.

From BB10 10.0 to 10.2.1 they are doing just that... including their decision to bring BBM cross-platform. even though they should of done that a long time ago.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    keepthetorch likes this.
    03-22-14 06:20 PM
    From BB10 10.0 to 10.2.1 they are doing just that... including their decision to bring BBM cross-platform. even though they should of done that a long time ago.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I didn't realize they had updated BBM recently for Android and iOS. I'll give it a try and see if I like it.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-22-14 06:28 PM
    I didn't realize they had updated BBM recently for Android and iOS. I'll give it a try and see if I like it.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    With the exception of BBM Video it's pretty much at parity with BlackBerry 10 version. Personally I like the Glympse and easy Voice Note features for certain friends and family. Still needs more features (including BB10), but coming along nicely.

Dunno if it's going to overtake WhatsApp in the consumer arena, but if they continue to improve it I can see it doing well in Enterprise.
    03-22-14 07:03 PM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    I downloaded the newest version for iOS last night, only to delete it this morning. The reason? I woke up to 30 something ghost notifications from a group I left months ago.

Sent from iOS using Tapatalk
    03-22-14 07:07 PM
    I downloaded the newest version for iOS last night, only to delete it this morning. The reason? I woke up to 30 something ghost notifications from a group I left months ago.

So is channels supposed to be like G+?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-22-14 07:11 PM
    So is channels supposed to be like G+?

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Somewhat. Channels is a great concept, however it's not quite on the same level as G+. G+ has a lot more content not to mention you get push notifications/alerts whenever someone replies to your comment. Google plus is more social, channels is well I haven't quite figured that out. I don't think you can add users to your bbm list from channels (correct me if I'm wrong).

03-22-14 07:16 PM
    Somewhat. Channels is a great concept, however it's not quite on the same level as G+. G+ has a lot more content not to mention you get push notifications/alerts whenever someone replies to your comment. Google plus is more social, channels is well I haven't quite figured that out. I don't think you can add users to your bbm list from channels (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks. I looked at a few channels and they seem dead.

Not sure how many hours this will last on my phone. I haven't found a use for it in years.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-22-14 07:21 PM

Not sure how many hours this will last on my phone. I haven't found a use for it in years.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    If you're not using it now, and don't have friends on it, that might be a good idea. I personally think it's going to do better in enterprise where it's secure and not for people who like WhatsApp. The security benefits and anything else is likely lost on them.
    03-22-14 07:33 PM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yeah, that's been my experience. G+ is more engaging. I think bb should go the google/FB/twitter route by letting people comment on articles (ie cnn, espn, bgr, etc etc) using bbm.

03-22-14 07:50 PM
    If you're not using it now, and don't have friends on it, that might be a good idea. I personally think it's going to do better in enterprise where it's secure and not for people who like WhatsApp. The security benefits and anything else is likely lost on them.
    That's not good for Blackberry though. The way people were talking about channels on here I thought it was taking off.

While Blackberry needs to secure enterprise, they eventually need consumers also.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-22-14 07:51 PM
    That's not good for Blackberry though. The way people were talking about channels on here I thought it was taking off.

While Blackberry needs to secure enterprise, they eventually need consumers also.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    There are several active channels but it's a bit of a free for all at the moment. If you installed BBM try creating a channel and see how easy it is to do, hence many dead ones. Over time that should settle out.

Channels is a great idea but it needs work and time to find its proper niche. One area I can see it being useful is private channels shared amongst friends / family. Kind of the opposite of Facebook, etc.

Yes over time BlackBerry will want to attract more consumers but I personally don't think that should be their primary focus. Enterprise has been the company's lifeblood from its conception and tend to be less fickle than the average consumer. Satisfy enterprise and repair their reputation and consumers will follow, just as they did originally.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 08:04 PM
    There are several active channels but it's a bit of a free for all at the moment. If you installed BBM try creating a channel and see how easy it is to do, hence many dead ones. Over time that should settle out.

Channels is a great idea but it needs work and time to find its proper niche. One area I can see it being useful is private channels shared amongst friends / family. Kind of the opposite of Facebook, etc.

Yes over time BlackBerry will want to attract more consumers but I personally don't think that should be their primary focus. Enterprise has been the company's lifeblood from its conception and tend to be less fickle than the average consumer. Satisfy enterprise and repair their reputation and consumers will follow, just as they did originally.

Posted via CB10
    I hope you're right but this is a completely different time than when they did it before.

03-22-14 08:18 PM
    I hope you're right but this is a completely different time than when they did it before.

Very true. But the playing field in Enterprise is much more favourable to them than the consumer market as is obvious to everyone now. They have years more experience in the area of managing mobile than their competitors. And QNX has fantastic potential as well in other areas. The big question is if they can shrink the company fast enough to offset the loss of consumer subscription licenses through carriers.

If so they should succeed as a smaller leaner company. It's happened before so it's entirely possible. Hopefully they'll still crank out mobile handsets as part of that future.

But yeah, BBM trying to compete with G+ and Facebook on their terms is just setting up for failure, IMHO. Look how long G+ has been working to supplant Facebook with very limited success. And they've re-invented G+ several times in the process. Build it for enterprise first with an eye to consumer applications second.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 08:29 PM
    I own a BlackBerry, but let me tell you, I sell an insane amount of android tablets a year? Why? Cause they are affordable!

AmaZ30ed by my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    03-22-14 08:59 PM
    I own a BlackBerry, but let me tell you, I sell an insane amount of android tablets a year? Why? Cause they are affordable!

AmaZ30ed by my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    key word..............
    03-23-14 12:05 AM
    i dont like android cause:

- too much advertise in the apps
    - i dont like how it works (gestures)
    - i can do things much faster on my bb

ps: i dont hate it, i just dont like it and prefer bb
    No hate, but Google sniffing is not what I want on my phone. Browser tracking by device ID / user agent and IP address is bad enough. Double-click cookies... ehhhh

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    03-23-14 08:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    Great post.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    03-23-14 08:48 AM
    Hundreds of thousands is a small number when you consider the 100s of millions of android users.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    That's not good logic, I hope you realize that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    03-23-14 03:33 PM
    That's not good logic, I hope you realize that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    How is it not good logic? I doubt more than 25% of the total android base root their phones.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-23-14 05:18 PM
    How is it not good logic? I doubt more than 25% of the total android base root their phones.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You don't have to be rooted to add themes, icon packs, widgets, etc.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-23-14 05:20 PM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    in this case I meant rooting.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-23-14 05:21 PM

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Agreed, and I'd say less than 10% are rooted.
    southlander likes this.
    03-23-14 05:22 PM
385 ... 1011121314 ...