Snowden scared some, not me, not in the least. We live in a world that is connected. That is fact. Will some people use it negatively? Absolutely, but we should not be scared. What are you going to do? Lock yourself in your house and never talk to anyone? Don't let this stop you from enjoying life, connecting with others, and moving forward. The world has become smaller than ever. That can be as positive as we want to make it.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Who said anything about being scared? Cautious does not equal scared. The plain truth is, Google bought and deployed Android to bolster its data collection capabilities to further support its ad business. Android's primary purpose is to collect more information about user habits for Google. One of the reasons I will not use Android is because I choose not to participate in or contribute to that objective any more than I already may inadvertently do in the course of my normal online activities. Has nothing to do with fear -- it's my own preference.

I will never tell anyone why they should or should not use Android or any other platform -- what everyone wants to use is their own choice and none of my damn business. I just wish people would show me that same consideration. I am HERE on CrackBerry because of my preference for BlackBerry. It should not make a lick of a difference to anybody why I have that preference.
    03-21-14 07:33 AM
    why do everybody in here hates Android so much?
    I myself love BB and use a z10 but I also use android. I find nothing unsecure about it or I should say I never had any hacking or anything happen to me on previous androids. A lot of people are jumping ship because BB is very lame on releasing devices. BB tech support has no clue about their devices. For example the release of the z30 to at&t, they had no idea there were different models for the carriers. To sum it up people are getting sick and tired of BB's games. Read up on the forum you will see.
    03-21-14 07:52 AM
    i dont hate android but android devices gettin lag and heavy by time ,,but look at bb or apple..estables system and not crashing and more faster,,,,the day that bb10 creat a real cool hardware and get native apps..android and apple will stay on the corner crying ... trust me,,
    03-21-14 08:01 AM
    Because they are the other team. Although I do like their customization. But looking at the android files in my BlackBerry file manager is scary. I can't imagine a hole operating system working like that. Seems a bit messy.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-14 08:10 AM
    Again, are you okay with BB collecting your information?
    "Again, are you okay with BB collecting your information compared to what Google does?" If that is your real question, how broad a stroke are you painting? I will answer your original question - YES (to both versions).
    03-21-14 08:36 AM
    "Again, are you okay with BB collecting your information compared to what Google does?" If that is your real question, how broad a stroke are you painting? I will answer your original question - YES (to both versions).
    Can't argue with the scope... GOOG's business is ultimately based on data.

But I think BBRY wants -- practically needs -- a piece of the pie. There seems to be this idea that MSFT, Apple and especially BBRY are altruistic entities. They all collect data, so a new question arises for folks that point out Google's information collection: where do you draw the line?
    03-21-14 08:44 AM
    Fear
    Android is so much more flexible than any other mobile OS that it can be what you want it to be. One day, there will be a device+OS combination as good as a BlackBerry for the BlackBerry faithfuls, simply because BlackBerry (why did they have to change name...) is a bit narrow minded when it comes to designing an OS. They seem to only have regulated industries and large corporations in mind.
    03-21-14 08:46 AM
    And the ads on both android and apple is ridiculous. She can't even play a game without an adult closing ads every minute.

Q10SQN100-5/10.2.1.2141
    Attachment 256703
    That has nothing to do with Android and iOS. That is what you get for FREE. You don't notice it on BB because you really don't have any apps. Well any popular apps from major companies that want to make money off them through advertising. Angry birds app with only ads was making the guy 50,000 a day.
    TGR1 likes this.
    03-21-14 09:00 AM
    Everyone hates whoever is in the lead while their personal favorite does not do so well. People hate my favorite team the Patriots because they always make it to the Playoffs at least every year. People hate android because they are the biggest platform and have a multitude of choices that BackBerry does not offer. Add on the fact that BlackBerry is now the number 4 operating system and you get BlackBerry users are just weary and don`t even want to be reminded why it all went so wrong.
    TgeekB and donnation like this.
    03-21-14 09:01 AM
    If you have time to hate a phone you need a hobby. My neighbors dog that won't shut up.. now i hate that little S**T!! lol
    Wonder if u live in my neighborhood? Lol.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    03-21-14 09:02 AM

But I think BBRY wants -- practically needs -- a piece of the pie. There seems to be this idea that MSFT, Apple and especially BBRY are altruistic entities. They all collect data, so a new question arises for folks that point out Google's information collection: where do you draw the line?
    Agreed they all collect data. Companies need to find out how their phones are being used. In this case I am comparing business "models". What are these companies in business for and how they make money? So IMHO I feel more comfortable with BB. Yes, I know they are not in good shape. I have been with them for so long and is a comfort factor of knowing what I have and how I use it. I think I am going to book nostalgic flight to Belfast. Something about that place that I just feel at home and "dispatched" from reality. The other reasons are: I am old, stubborn and set in my ways - d**it
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    03-21-14 09:19 AM
    Hating some kind of software is as pointless as hating any other inanimate object. I have no issues with Android. If you like it and it works for you, go for it. There are advantages to it, like the much larger app selection. But I prefer BB since it's more focused on it's end use. Android and iOS are more general purpose platforms. BB is more focused on communication, which makes it unique. Like any programmable machine you can make it do almost whatever you like (and QNX is very general purpose), but that's the focus of the device and it suits what I want from it.
    keepthetorch and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-21-14 09:20 AM
    Hating some kind of software is as pointless as hating any other inanimate object. I have no issues with Android. If you like it and it works for you, go for it. There are advantages to it, like the much larger app selection. But I prefer BB since it's more focused on it's end use. Android and iOS are more general purpose platforms. BB is more focused on communication, which makes it unique. Like any programmable machine you can make it do almost whatever you like (and QNX is very general purpose), but that's the focus of the device and it suits what I want from it.
    "Dos" is good points you made. I could not resist with the avatar you put on I am still trying to decide to move up to OS10. Looking better all the time if I can find one to actually hold and try. I am one of a very few people in my small town with a BB let alone legacy. It works for and that is the important thing. Yes I do get the "dinosaur" looks but as a communication device it is so hard to part.
    03-21-14 10:01 AM
    [...] From what I've read of Android, the only way you're getting a virus is if you accept the permissions from an app. They don't just sit on your phone working in the background. So installing it like an app is the only way for it to work.
    Not exactly. If you sync with a Windows computer, for example : Windows Spy tool equipped with Android malware to hack Smartphones - The Hacker News

This is easily combated by having install from unknown sources unticked (it's unticked by default) and if you tick it yourself then you gotta use your own common sense from there onwards.
    That's a valuable and excellent advice.
    03-21-14 10:07 AM

My line is : collect anything you want to improve my experience or safeguard my vital informations.
    Yes you can use it for virtuous customization (like channels depending on your location) if you want (and I agreed).
    BUT
    Do not expose it anywhere nor sell it to anyone.
    And please be sure your safes are ... safe.
    kbz1960 and Vorkosigan like this.
    03-21-14 10:15 AM
    Not exactly. If you sync with a Windows computer, for example : Windows Spy tool equipped with Android malware to hack Smartphones - The Hacker News

That's a valuable and excellent advice.
    I have heard enough. Will be starting a land-line thread. Kevin you better increase the server capacity immediately.
    03-21-14 10:16 AM
    sleepngbear is absolutely right. Android is designed to be used as a data mining tool for Google. Why people don't care about that or understand that I will never know. Google supplies the Android operating system for FREE to phone manufacturers. Why? Because it is used to mine everything you do on your phone for the purposes of ADVERTISING. Google's entire business model is ADS. Period. They have combined ALL the services they provide together so it is easier for them to create a profile of you and sell that information to ADVERTISERS!!! READ the terms of service or privacy policy that is provided by Google. So OP. why do people hate on Android?? Because if you pay attention and your privacy is important to you, you will not use ANY of Googles products. Make fun of me, call me paranoid, but I know what I am talking about. Read the terms of service. Do some searching and don't ask why people hate something that is so very easy to hate.
    03-21-14 10:21 AM
    I'm not an Android hater. Okay, maybe I am. But I have purchased and returned so many Android products. I buy them trying to give Android another chance and keep on returning the product. It feels like such an unfinished/unintuitive product each and every time. HTC phones, Nexus tablets, ASUS tablets, custom Android ROMS, vanilla Android, HTC Sense. Doesn't matter. It feels like everything NEEDS to be customized because out of the box it's all over the place.

Just my personal opinion. I usually like Android for about a week when I find all the apps that I have been missing on my BlackBerry. Then as I get deeper into the system, I start seeing cracks in the foundation, then I bail while I still can get a full refund.

Some ppl love it. Not me. I recommend Apple products to the non-techie ppl and BlackBerry to ppl who want something different and become more efficient.
    03-21-14 10:27 AM
    I loved, and miss, Google Now, but for the most part I find the Android UI ugly and cumbersome; I dislike how the Android experience can change from phone to phone, from manufacturer to manufacturer; I disliked having to shift through hundreds of apps that were either primarily the same as one another or complete junk, often times without ever finding the one that suited my needs/desires; I hated how there was no real logical file system and that sometimes downloaded files were not in the download folder...or anywhere to be found...or that pictures would completely disappear then reappear or move to some bizarre folder that could only be found with a third party file management app; I hated that I had to go through apps to get the most functionality from my phone; I hated that I had to root my phones to get them work in ways that suited my needs. And so on.

I don't claim that BB10 and/or BlackBerry is the best OS out there. But for my needs and usage it offers me the best experience.
    lift, DOCTOREVIL8 and RedFoxOne like this.
    03-21-14 10:37 AM
    I very much dislike the Android UI.
    Menus are scattered about aimlessly

Buttons and menus don't look like things you can actually tap on (the triangle on its side completely detached from the text is somehow supposed to look like a menu?).

Consistency from one screen to the next is poor

Some menus are very text heavy with poor delineation between elements, can't easily distinguish between title text and feature/option/setting text

It's just clunky and cumbersome. I find BB10 to be a lot more consistent and polished, although it needs a little more eye-candy.

I also dislike the security model in Android. Not being able to set application permissions easily like BlackBerry is a no-no for me. The fact that Google blocked the "App ops" app from working in the latest Android release is really sad.
    03-21-14 11:09 AM
    "Dos" is good points you made. I could not resist with the avatar you put on I am still trying to decide to move up to OS10. Looking better all the time if I can find one to actually hold and try. I am one of a very few people in my small town with a BB let alone legacy. It works for and that is the important thing. Yes I do get the "dinosaur" looks but as a communication device it is so hard to part.
    The last BB I had was a 9930 Bold running OS7. Nice. And while BB10 is a LOT different from OS7, it's also a lot faster and more stable. At least now it is. I have to admit I had given up on BB after I had three Z10s with the Verizon reboot problems, and a Q10 that had nearly no usable apps. But with the updated firmware the stability problem has vanished, and while the app selection isn't as good as it could be, for the most part I can do anything I want with BB10 as long as it isn't too exotic. And for some of the odder things I just download an Android app.
    03-21-14 11:12 AM
    I don't have to worry about Google serving me up ads. Coming to this site has me so conditioned to advertising I don't even notice any more. My pea brain can only handle so much stimuli so it shuts down my synaptic receptors long before Google can influence me.

The key is to log on here first
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    03-21-14 11:16 AM
    Theoretical uncontrolled nuclear reaction leading to extreme overheating causing an absolute meltdown of everything through the ground eventually settling at the core of the earth. If gravity were not in the way, the theory goes that it would melt it's way all the way through to China.
    Kinda like when I get REALLY mad!?!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    03-21-14 11:27 AM
    The last BB I had was a 9930 Bold running OS7. Nice. And while BB10 is a LOT different from OS7, it's also a lot faster and more stable. At least now it is. I have to admit I had given up on BB after I had three Z10s with the Verizon reboot problems, and a Q10 that had nearly no usable apps. But with the updated firmware the stability problem has vanished, and while the app selection isn't as good as it could be, for the most part I can do anything I want with BB10 as long as it isn't too exotic. And for some of the odder things I just download an Android app.
    I have been sort of waiting for the OS to mature and looks like it is. Good luck with your device.
    03-21-14 12:18 PM
    Name one Android manufacturer that does this.
    Just one?
    HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Huawei

Those brands were used by myself or my friends.

Google updates phones for 18 month which is quite bad in comparison with 4 years of updates from Apple .
    03-21-14 12:19 PM
385 ... 678910 ...