It's weird. I don't care what gender you are, what religion you are, what ethnicity you are, what sexuality you are -- on and on and on -- and I don't care what phone you use.

I don't know why people care.

Posted via CB10
    donnation and Tre Lawrence like this.
    03-20-14 03:06 PM
    Dude, you're way off. You're making assumptions that simply aren't true. You're obviously misinformed, or inexperienced with the platform.

No... Most apps do not ask for permissions they don't need. And yes, a majority of apps actually do require zero or a minimum of permissions.

And your perception as to what data Google collects and sells is incredibly skewed. Google never has sold your personal data. I challenge you to provide one single instance in which they have.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    The only person here who is misinformed is you. I am a computer programmer and coder and I know how these apps are built and made. They usually hide the more major app permissions in the "show all" tab in android permissions.

Please run along back to android since you clearly don't give a damn about security.

Here's more proof. The same app on android and BlackBerry 10. It asks for one permission on BlackBerry 10 your BlackBerry pin so it knows how to direct a video to your device, verses pretty much all of them on android.

Why hate Android?-cam00274.jpg

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy white Q10.
    03-20-14 03:09 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't buy an Android phone because of many reasons.
    - The delivery of software updates due to many OEMs.
    - The battery life
    - The lag, no matter how many cores you have.
    - The apps crash
    - Keyboard etc
    - build quality
    But on the plus side
    + great app selection
    + amazing cameras with the latest offerings
    + sheer amount of customization (root etc)
    + Much pixels, very pretty, so sharp, wow

My Z30 is perfect for my needs but I might get myself an Android tablet to satisfy my curiosity with the apps and games department.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 03:13 PM
    Proof right here. A basic really popular wallpaper app with over 10 million downloads.
    It asks for full access to pretty much every permission possible.

Attachment 256814
    Attachment 256815

Here are the ones from the ones I used on Android:

Access Widget Data: This is in order to display the widget and widget's data to you. This dialog/permission is new in Jellybean. The data is not used for anything aside from displaying it.
    Internet/Network State/Wifi State: Optional & Anonymous error/usage reporting
    Directly call phone numbers: Only used if you place a direct-dial shortcut on the homescreen.
    Wallpaper/Vibrate/Status Bar/Choose Widgets: Standard Launcher functions
    USB (SD) Storage: Backup/restore
    Retrieve Running Apps: Used by Aggressive Desktop setting and to warn in settings when multiple launchers are running in history.

I can toggle them on and off if I so choose. Each has a logical purpose. Not trying to change your mind; just pointing out that absolute statements are rarely completely accurate.
    03-20-14 03:13 PM
    Here's more proof. The same app on android and BlackBerry 10. It asks for one permission on BlackBerry 10 your BlackBerry pin so it knows how to direct a video to your device, verses pretty much all of them on android.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00274.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	256819

Does the app have the same functionality?
    03-20-14 03:15 PM
    Hate is to strong a word. Dislike greatly maybe. Android is what it is. Their is a reason people go to blackberry and its not to support android. These are people that see android as nothing more then a giant open box with holes throughout. It can completely hold everything it has but they continue to pile stuff into the box and even though its bursting at the seams everyone says dont worry its fine it will hold. We all know better. Android is just the giant arm of google. They are using every way to get every stick of information about everyone. Gmail to mine your mail. Google chrome to mine the sites you go to and google maps to see where you go and when. They are big brother. Much like microsoft use to pull the strings now its google and you cant turn anywhere without them being onboard. I for one would prefer not to be data mined around every corner. Privacy should not be a priviledge it should be a right. All of a sudden its okay for someone to know every thing about everyone. Did we not watch movies years ago about what happens when this goes on? what did we learn from it? nothing obviously because its the exact direction we are going and no one seems to care. How many data leaks, hacks or security failures is it going to take before everyone is effected. I have already had my credit card information taken once and now a few weeks ago someone tried to hack my bank account. Does this seem right to you? So yes we dont like android and for good reason. Im not saying blackberry is any different but my trust level is about 100 times better with blackberry then google or IOS so then you wonder why we dislike Android. Do we have to spell it out for you? PRIVACY. Comprendez?
    03-20-14 03:17 PM
    Here are the ones from the ones I used on Android:

Access Widget Data: This is in order to display the widget and widget's data to you. This dialog/permission is new in Jellybean. The data is not used for anything aside from displaying it.
    Internet/Network State/Wifi State: Optional & Anonymous error/usage reporting
    Directly call phone numbers: Only used if you place a direct-dial shortcut on the homescreen.
    Wallpaper/Vibrate/Status Bar/Choose Widgets: Standard Launcher functions
    USB (SD) Storage: Backup/restore
    Retrieve Running Apps: Used by Aggressive Desktop setting and to warn in settings when multiple launchers are running in history.

I can toggle them on and off if I so choose. Each has a logical purpose. Not trying to change your mind; just pointing out that absolute statements are rarely completely accurate.
    It's nice that you gave a very short description. But the point remains, "Why does a wallpaper app need full access to your phone calls, texts, and full data files?

The real answer is it doesn't. But they stuff that one there to collect your data and sell it to advertisers. I have used and helped code tons of android applications. They do this constantly.

BlackBerry is the only solution in mobile that allows you to shut these down.

03-20-14 03:19 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't buy an Android phone because of many reasons.
    - The delivery of software updates due to many OEMs.
    - The battery life
    - The lag, no matter how many cores you have.
    - The apps crash
    - Keyboard etc
    - build quality
    I have seen these same negatives applied to BB10 devices. No lie... not the different OEM thing, but the update issue, keyboard, bad ports, dismal battery life have all been noted as issues wih BB10 hardware.

The big reason that I use Android as a daily driver is because I can get updates when I want to just about whenever I want to, hardware willing.
    03-20-14 03:19 PM
    Hate is to strong a word. Dislike greatly maybe. Android is what it is. Their is a reason people go to blackberry and its not to support android. These are people that see android as nothing more then a giant open box with holes throughout. It can completely hold everything it has but they continue to pile stuff into the box and even though its bursting at the seams everyone says dont worry its fine it will hold. We all know better. Android is just the giant arm of google. They are using every way to get every stick of information about everyone. Gmail to mine your mail. Google chrome to mine the sites you go to and google maps to see where you go and when. They are big brother. Much like microsoft use to pull the strings now its google and you cant turn anywhere without them being onboard. I for one would prefer not to be data mined around every corner. Privacy should not be a priviledge it should be a right. All of a sudden its okay for someone to know every thing about everyone. Did we not watch movies years ago about what happens when this goes on? what did we learn from it? nothing obviously because its the exact direction we are going and no one seems to care. How many data leaks, hacks or security failures is it going to take before everyone is effected. I have already had my credit card information taken once and now a few weeks ago someone tried to hack my bank account. Does this seem right to you? So yes we dont like android and for good reason. Im not saying blackberry is any different but my trust level is about 100 times better with blackberry then google or IOS so then you wonder why we dislike Android. Do we have to spell it out for you? PRIVACY. Comprendez?
    Ty ty someone that uses the logic they were born with. It's no different then people who could care less about the NSA recording our calls.

It's Bs people. This is why I really dislike android. You either accept the app permissions and Google terms and let them data mine you constantly or you wake up and get a BlackBerry 10 device.

03-20-14 03:23 PM
    It's nice that you gave a very short description. But the point remains, "Why does a wallpaper app need full access to your phone calls, texts, and full data files?

The real answer is it doesn't. But they stuff that one there to collect your data and sell it to advertisers. I have used and helped code tons of android applications. They do this constantly.

BlackBerry is the only solution in mobile that allows you to shut these down.
    No, BlackBerry isn't the only solution in mobile LOL. I don't use that wallpaper, but again, this is why peer review is so valuable, and should not be deleted like BBRY does. If I have an issue with an app, I ask the developer.

But again, have you read your BB TOS recently?
    03-20-14 03:24 PM
    LOL.

Does BBRY collect your information? If you found out they did, and that you agree to let them sell it, would it bother you?

Seriously, send an official request to find out. They don't hide it.
    pantlesspenguin and pankaler like this.
    03-20-14 03:26 PM
    I have seen these same negatives applied to BB10 devices. No lie... not the different OEM thing, but the update issue, keyboard, bad ports, dismal battery life have all been noted as issues wih BB10 hardware.

The big reason that I use Android as a daily driver is because I can get updates when I want to just about whenever I want to, hardware willing.
    The hardware on my q10 and z30 is incredible. So that makes no sense. It operates flawlessly and I never even have any lag. Even with tons of apps open.

I had a note 3 for a week to review and it felt cheap and plastic. Wake up people, read androids terms and conditions. It will explain all of this too you. They track and monitor your device, and scan your emails constantly, everything. Then they sell it to the advertisers and who ever pays the most. It's their business model.

lift likes this.
    03-20-14 03:27 PM
    LOL.

Does BBRY collect your information? If you found out they did, and that you agree to let them sell it, would it bother you?

Seriously, send an official request to find out. They don't hide it.
    Your comment makes zero sense because BlackBerry is built on privacy and security. It's why the president and huge corporations use it. They are not data mining your info like apple and Google. Please wake up.

03-20-14 03:29 PM
    The hardware on my q10 and z30 is incredible. So that makes no sense.
    You left out the important qualifier: in your opinion. It's the same thing folks on other platforms do to BB10 based on limited experience.
    Cynycl, mikeo007 and randall2580 like this.
    03-20-14 03:34 PM
    Your comment makes zero sense because BlackBerry is built on privacy and security. It's why the president and huge corporations use it. They are not data mining your info like apple and Google. Please wake up.
    When folks start sounding like ill-advised BBRY guerrilla campaigns in Australia, I know I'm beaten. You win.
    03-20-14 03:36 PM
    Don't these android fans have their forums or something?

Z10 10.2.1.2228
    03-20-14 03:38 PM
    Android's wide open nature does give it the most ability to be insecure, but to some points, it's the user. Instead, my disdain for Android is because of the company that produces it; Google. I do not appreciate the depth of their data mining and anti-privacy attitude. It's not a matter of having something to hide, it's a principle which you either share or do not recognize, that's all.
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-20-14 03:39 PM
    You left out the important qualifier: in your opinion. It's the same thing folks on other platforms do to BB10 based on limited experience.
    It is my opinion that I don't like android.

It is not an opinion it's a absolute fact that they scan, steal and track your data 24/7 on any android device. Any android update uploads over 500 pieces of personal info straight to Google. That's not even including the Bs app permissions.

Look at the permissions on pretty much any Google app. Their ridiculous.

It is a fact that BlackBerry doesn't data mine you. They let you shut down all app permissions that you choose.

Please wake up and inform yourself on the information you are really giving google.

lift likes this.
    03-20-14 03:40 PM
    Don't these android fans have their forums or something?
    You should report them.

A couple things... it is possible to like multiple platforms. I know that is a painful concept for some, but it does happen in the real world, and most folks here can have a balanced convo without becoming territorial.

Also, the ignore function is a powerful tool.
    03-20-14 03:42 PM
    Proof right here. A basic really popular wallpaper app with over 10 million downloads.
    It asks for full access to pretty much every permission possible.

Attachment 256814
    Attachment 256815

Interestingly enough I found this on their site.

We do not collect or share any kind of personal phone information.
    The app requires several permissions including PHONE_STATE for the automatic setting of wallpapers, CONTACT_READ and CONTACT_WRITE to set a Backgrounds as a “Contact Icon” for your contacts.
    Backgrounds
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-20-14 03:42 PM
    I do not hate Android. I have a BlackBerry, but I am not oblivious to the advantages of other platforms. I'm actually deciding between an Android device (Sony Xperia ZL or Nexus device) and a Windows 8 device (Nokia Lumia) for my next phone upgrade. I love BlackBerry, but I am definitely not a BlackBerry fanatic. I'm a BlackBerry fan, but not a fanatic. I think there's a difference.

But, as others have said, this IS a BlackBerry forum. Yes, we welcome and want discussions from all sides - look at all of the different users here who have Androids, iPhones, etc.! - but we're still a BlackBerry forum site. We usually, *usually* are discussing BlackBerry in some form or another (even if it's a hatred or disdain for BlackBerry, it doesn't matter - people are still talking about it).

But in all honesty, I'm getting tired of people hating on other devices and platforms, and doing so openly and with prejudice/the intent to bully. If you don't like BlackBerry, cool! There are many other choices out there. But don't bash me for liking and having one. It wasn't purchased with your money, so why do you care? (not "you" as in OP; just a general "you" ) I think that every platform has its advantages and disadvantages. But don't smash someone down just because you don't like the same phone. It's mean, and it's also petty. There are bigger issues in the world other than "which phone should be #1." They're all good. Let's just leave it at that.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 03:43 PM
    You must be on a Nexus or Moto X.
    Surely those two can't represent the entire Android platform as it is too diversified.
    Let me go deeper with the following example.
    I like the HTC one build quality, but it lacks the camera performance I'd be looking for and lacks micro SD.
    S4 : Touch wiz is nobody's cup of tea, cheap build quality.
    N5: great performance but battery life is a no no. Lacks SD also.

Based on these view points, there's no one Android Phone does it all for me.
    That's why a Tablet would satisfy my needs better. My Motorola Xoom passed out recently.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 03:44 PM
    Android's wide open nature does give it the most ability to be insecure, but to some points, it's the user. Instead, my disdain for Android is because of the company that produces it; Google. I do not appreciate the depth of their data mining and anti-privacy attitude. It's not a matter of having something to hide, it's a principle which you either share or do not recognize, that's all.
    This I can get with. I think that it would be a dangerous for Google and Android to seize more marketshare, which is why I am a fan of WP8, and hope that BB10 can stay afloat. I don't think a Google/Apple monopoly is good for consumers in the long run.

But I harbor no illusions about BBRY not collecting my information. To be fair, BBRY does not hide this fact at all, and I'm sure is looking for ways to monetize said information.
    Cynycl and 21stNow like this.
    03-20-14 03:45 PM
    You should report them.

A couple things... it is possible to like multiple platforms. I know that is a painful concept for some, but it does happen in the real world, and most folks here can have a balanced convo without becoming territorial.

Also, the ignore function is a powerful tool.
    Actually Tre you are so right. Painful. I keep fighting with this attraction to Windows Phone, particularly since I've learned how to encrypt it because I can assign my own policies with EAS that enable those sort of device functions. I have an ATIV S Neo and go to activate it for a couple days, then right back to my BB. A few years of loyalty to a platform doesn't ever seem to quite break does it.
    03-20-14 03:48 PM
    I found this on their site, should we believe them or some fear mongering poster on here?

Backgrounds
    The real question is that if they really didn't want to steal your personal information then why do they need access to it at all?

03-20-14 03:50 PM
385 ... 23456 ...