Thanks alot for your sweet response
    Had no clue so many opinions will pop out, love you all.

For those who hate android with passion, here's a way to protect your face from Google, and Ads, basically.
    In case you have an android phone( i assume a lot of you do), get to XDA, find a way to root it, and flash AOSP ROM(Cyanogenmod, Paranoid android, MIUI, etc) without Google Apps(Gmail, Drive, etc).
    In short-> your android OS= AOSP + Google Apps
    This 'Google Apps', is the removable part of Android, which you address as "NotSoSecure-Ads-NoPrivacy OS". Just don't install it, and basically that's it. Sure lots of bugs, but you can put your phone to a good use.

Also, keep away from shady apps. you'll know when you'll see one. These apps are "Free-Full-Versions". Just like our windows os on PC.
    Amount of malware is directly proportional to popularity of OS. Relate

And for ads, install "ad away". its a root app, and will run with your phone, as you already have root access. Basically, total control on your phone.
    That's the power of Android.
    Don't hate. Learn from it.
    Cynycl likes this.
    03-20-14 11:01 AM
    I've said it before: BBRY folks are more terrified about Android malware than Android users are LOL.

Some of the things I see folks here do belies the whole security argument. Scraping the web for apks? I don't care how much I want an app, no sideloading randomly obtained on my Z10. Ever.

But, again, I review Android apps for a living, meaning I have loaded up more apps than most people will ever do. Google can (and should) do a better job, but I have never downloaded malware, and I doubt I ever will. I am not Einstein, but using Android safely can be accomplished, by downloading from reputable sources, avoiding apps with body parts in the title, and paying attention to peer review, which, IMHO, is the greatest tool.
    Or on my android tablet for that matter
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 11:03 AM

For those who hate android with passion, here's a way to protect your face from Google, and Ads, basically.
    In case you have an android phone( i assume a lot of you do), get to XDA, find a way to root it, and flash AOSP ROM(Cyanogenmod, Paranoid android, MIUI, etc) without Google Apps(Gmail, Drive, etc).
    This 'Google Apps', is the removable part of Android, which you address as "NotSoSecure-Ads-NoPrivacy OS". Just don't install it, and basically that's it. Sure lots of bugs, but you can put your phone to a good use.

Also, keep away from shady apps. you'll know when you'll see one. These apps are "Free-Full-Versions". Just like our windows os on PC.

And for ads, install "ad away". its a root app, and will run with your phone, as you already have root access. Basically, total control on your phone.
    Oh now you've done it............, injecting logic and fact into the argument.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-20-14 11:11 AM
    why do everybody in here hates Android so much?
    Personally don't hate it. I'm just more comfortable with BlackBerry.
    03-20-14 11:32 AM

firstly not many on Android even knows how to root (or care) and flash an AOSP ROM, which may not be a good idea for Exynos based chips since the codes wasn't released. Not getting Google Apps is terrible as Google Play (the app store for those who doesn't know) is a part of Gapps, meaning that there will be almost no app availability, unless you find APKs on the web, XDA or from other app providers OTHER than Play Store. Basically you'll be able to call, text and email. I'm not sure on Browsing as Chrome is a part of the Gapps and last I check on my N7, Chrome is the only means of browsing on a stock Nexus.

you speak of Ad Away which isn't in Play Store, meaning you have to get the app from other means such as the ones listed above.

There's a saying Mr will92, "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation is possible."

For me, I love Android, namely AOSP only, but the Nexus line doesn't have big specs nor physical keyboard and they stop giving updates after 18 months (iirc and hopefully BB10 gives very good update support)

sincerely, an Android flash-a-holic since Gingerbread on my Nexus One

p.s. Wakelocks! curse the damn thing
    03-20-14 11:48 AM
    firstly not many on Android even knows how to root (or care) and flash an AOSP ROM, which may not be a good idea for Exynos based chips since the codes wasn't released. Not getting Google Apps is terrible as Google Play (the app store for those who doesn't know) is a part of Gapps, meaning that there will be almost no app availability, unless you find APKs on the web, XDA or from other app providers OTHER than Play Store. Basically you'll be able to call, text and email. I'm not sure on Browsing as Chrome is a part of the Gapps and last I check on my N7, Chrome is the only means of browsing on a stock Nexus.

you speak of Ad Away which isn't in Play Store, meaning you have to get the app from other means such as the ones listed above.

There's a saying Mr will92, "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation is possible."

For me, I love Android, namely AOSP only, but the Nexus line doesn't have big specs nor physical keyboard and they stop giving updates after 18 months (iirc and hopefully BB10 gives very good update support)

sincerely, an Android flash-a-holic since Gingerbread on my Nexus One

p.s. Wakelocks! curse the damn thing
    Hey. You can try https://f-droid.org/ as your app store. It's free, and it's open. Also, you can find Adaway over there.
    When you are willing to exit botnet, sure there will be lesser apps, but the feel you'll get by proceeding into it is enough to feed that paranoid inside you.
    When you want cleanliness and convenience, botnet and ads/payment will come complimentary.
    But when you are willing for privacy and customizability, sure you'll have to get your hands a little dirty

It's a shame that most of the people relate android directly to Samsung, and call it ugly and laggy. Samsung doesn't care what their customers want, they just want to sell their product, anyhow.
    Nexus, is the real thing. Just with prettier looks and openness, and yes, updates. during and after the support period
    03-20-14 12:44 PM
    I can't stand the ads and the app permission reqs.
    I think it's crazy....

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:48 PM
    I do not hate Android, but manufacturers, who introduced copro-economy model, actively pushing customers to throw out year old phone and buy a new one, by canceling any updates year after phone introduced.

I hope BlackBerry will take Apple as example and support phones for the 4 years.
    Name one Android manufacturer that does this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    shaleem likes this.
    03-20-14 12:59 PM
    I can't stand the ads and the app permission reqs.
    I think it's crazy....

Posted via CB10
    The only ads you see are in apps that use them in lieu of being paid. How is that different from any other platform?

kbz1960, TGR1 and shaleem like this.
    03-20-14 01:01 PM
    Oh certainly, I agree that NO ONE should have their choice of platform insulted. And the trolls who come to CB with the sole purpose of antagonizing BB fans remind me of a weight loss support chat room I went to a long time ago. During voice meetings, trolls would routinely log on, open their mics, and proceed to eat chips and other loud foods. So charming.
    Ouch!!!! That's just mean!

Posted from My Mobile App
    kbz1960 and shaleem like this.
    03-20-14 01:02 PM
    I don't hate android. I quite like it. I just like BlackBerry 10 more.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 01:52 PM
    I love my Z 10 and I also love my Samsung GS3. They are both great devices, in my opinion ....which when it comes to phones, computers and vehicles, is the only opinion that matters to me. I also enjoy my PC and my iPad ...... LOL
    03-20-14 02:02 PM
    Um why? I used to be a big fan of android. At least until I pulled the wool off of my eyes. I began questioning it even on my first android device.

When are people going to realize it's Bs to give a wallpaper app on android access to your call logs, texts, all files and folders, ect. People just smile and say "oh ok yay accept". Then your tracked and stalked and data mined 24/7.

I get spoiled by BlackBerry when they let me choose and shut down rogue app permissions that are complete nonsense. BlackBerry doesn't mine your data and information like water and sell it to the highest bidder as Google and Apple does.

There is zero security in android. Period.

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy white Q10.
    medic22003 likes this.
    03-20-14 02:08 PM
    If you have time to hate a phone you need a hobby. My neighbors dog that won't shut up.. now i hate that little S**T!! lol
    03-20-14 02:12 PM
    Um why? I used to be a big fan of android. At least until I pulled the wool off of my eyes. I began questioning it even on my first android device.

When are people going to realize it's Bs to give a wallpaper app on android access to your call logs, texts, all files and folders, ect. People just smile and say "oh ok yay accept". Then your tracked and stalked and data mined 24/7.

I get spoiled by BlackBerry when they let me choose and shut down rogue app permissions that are complete nonsense. BlackBerry doesn't mine your data and information like water and sell it to the highest bidder as Google and Apple does.

If people don't know that, then they probably don't really care about that.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-20-14 02:13 PM

I control the permissions on my Android device. I only permit a fixed amount of information to be collected. Plus, have you read your BB TOS recently?
    Cynycl and pankaler like this.
    03-20-14 02:15 PM

Hyperbole. Sure, some ****** could develop a wallpaper app that asks for all those permissions. And anybody who installed it would have to be a complete *****.

But the way you are trying to present it, is that any and all options to install a custom wallpaper requires it. Seriously? C'mon. Get real.

Cynycl, shaleem, 21stNow and 1 others like this.
    03-20-14 02:25 PM
    Haters have small ,closed mines . And want everyone to know it.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 02:30 PM
    Do BB users, which in general is Crackberry by the way, actively go over to iMore, Android Central or WP and ask the question "Why do you hate BB so much?"
    Johberry likes this.
    03-20-14 02:45 PM
    Hyperbole. Sure, some ****** could develop a wallpaper app that asks for all those permissions. And anybody who installed it would have to be a complete *****.

But the way you are trying to present it, is that any and all options to install a custom wallpaper requires it. Seriously? C'mon. Get real.

It's not just about a wallpaper app look at the app permissions for pretty much any app.

Try to download any app on android and it is rare and in-between that you ever find an app that asks for no permissions or just one.

Android is great software. But wake up people. Google made billions selling your info and data to the highest bidders and advertising companies.

When you update android, Google collects over 500 peices of personal info from your device.

Do yourselves a favor and protect your info and data and use bb10.

03-20-14 02:49 PM
    Do BB users, which in general is Crackberry by the way, actively go over to iMore, Android Central or WP and ask the question "Why do you hate BB so much?"
    Ha ha, nice! Great post.

Posted via CB10
    keepthetorch likes this.
    03-20-14 02:51 PM
    Proof right here. A basic really popular wallpaper app with over 10 million downloads.
    It asks for full access to pretty much every permission possible.

Why hate Android?-img_20140320_145517.jpg
    Why hate Android?-img_20140320_145458.jpg

03-20-14 02:56 PM
    It's not just about a wallpaper app look at the app permissions for pretty much any app.

Try to download any app on android and it is rare and in-between that you ever find an app that asks for no permissions or just one.

Android is great software. But wake up people. Google made billions selling your info and data to the highest bidders and advertising companies.

When you update android, Google collects over 500 peices of personal info from your device.

Dude, you're way off. You're making assumptions that simply aren't true. You're obviously misinformed, or inexperienced with the platform.

No... Most apps do not ask for permissions they don't need. And yes, a majority of apps actually do require zero or a minimum of permissions.

And your perception as to what data Google collects and sells is incredibly skewed. Google never has sold your personal data. I challenge you to provide one single instance in which they have.

pankaler and Cynycl like this.
    03-20-14 03:02 PM
    Proof right here. A basic really popular wallpaper app with over 10 million downloads.
    It asks for full access to pretty much every permission possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140320_145517.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	256814
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140320_145458.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	256815

Kindly demonstrate where an app like that will affect any user with the wherewithal to not install apps with questionable permissions?

Cynycl likes this.
    03-20-14 03:06 PM

Well they aren't selling my data. App permissions are easily addressed and controlled when you have root access. Just because someone isn't smart enough to control their device, doesn't make the device or OS suspect.

It's a sorry workman that blames his tools.

Being a lazy, ignorant or incompetent user is the only reason one would end up with the situation you described. There is a sucker born ever minute (likely more) and if you are one of em, life is hard.

As John Wayne pointed out.............Life is hard, but it's harder when you're stupid.

I guess I should add that root access isn't necessary, but if you lack the common sense to understand what you are downloading and installing onto your device, then there is still an easy way to fix any mental malfunctions that may occur.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 03-20-14 at 03:21 PM.
    03-20-14 03:06 PM
385 12345 ...