Let me split this thread really quick:

No.1

Why app developers make their apps so depended from Google Play Services? Do they know that Google Play Services is limited and make their apps unusable for devices which is not supported with GP Services and makes them lose lots of new users/customers potential?

For Example, since Uber dropped GP Services from their app, now everyone who has a devices which are running Android Runtime now are able to use their Uber app. This is a huge improvement by this simple step.

How long for others will need time to understand what the easy opportunity they are missing by not making this simple drop off GP Services step?

No.2

Why Google make Google Play Services so limited? Why Google on purpose make this "chosen one" perspective for devices, but not just make GP Services available for all devices who runs Android Runtime? They could make significant increase of users/customers for Google Play Store and etc. in seconds by this simple step.

If any of this become reality, it was WIN-WIN-WIN situation for people who has devices running Android Runtime, app developers could spend much less for developing for different platforms, Google itself - everyone just used Google.

Also .APK format finally could become first universal format for apps. What do you think?

+ Worst case scenario, Could it be possible for Cobalt make "Blackberry Google ID" to fool GPS to think its a Samsung Galaxy S6 or whatever? It could be a first great workaround for us all.
    Last edited by novapolskas; 02-22-16 at 07:57 AM.
    02-22-16 07:12 AM
    I agree 100%, and curious to know what their reasoning is.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-16 07:23 AM
    Almost the entire Android world uses a pure Android device. No need to cater to an insignificant minority running Android forks.

Insisting on a fully compatible Android provides huge benefits to Google app developers from a support perspective. It's also a big stick for Google to force defragmentation. And it has worked.

Using Google Play Services offers the developer a whole suite of APIs as well - Google+, Play Games, Location APIs, Maps, Cast, Ads, Wallet, Analytics, and Fit.
    Last edited by conite; 02-22-16 at 07:38 AM.
    02-22-16 07:23 AM
    Yeah in the US I doubt adding or dropping of GPS makes much of a difference, as most Android devices here has GPS..... the BB10 userbase is insignificant.

Now in China or many emerging markets...there are a number of Android devices that do not have official GPS on them. That is something that developers in those markets have to consider. If there app is free, maybe going without GPS is fine. If there app is something the charge for, then GPS might help them to experience less theft.

I remember a time when a number of high end apps were only available on iOS... because Android just had too much theft.
    02-22-16 07:35 AM
    Now in China or many emerging markets...there are a number of Android devices that do not have official GPS on them.
    Yes. But most of those devices are still fully compatible, and GPS gets installed on them anyway.

Edit: I see you used the word "official" - so I guess you knew that.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-22-16 07:41 AM
    Yes. But most of those devices are still fully compatible, and GPS gets installed on them anyway.

Edit: I see you used the word "official" - so I guess you knew that.
    Could it be possible for Cobalt make "Blackberry Google ID" to fool GPS to think its a Samsung Galaxy S6 or whatever? It could be a first great workaround for us all.
    02-22-16 07:52 AM
    Could it be possible for Cobalt make "Blackberry Google ID" to fool GPS to think its a Samsung Galaxy S6 or whatever? It could be a first great workaround for us all.
    That's not what the issue is.

Google Play Services needs to be modified to run an a BB10 device. As a result, apps need to be patched in order to accept the modifications.
    02-22-16 07:57 AM
    That's not what the issue is.

Google Play Services needs to be modified to run an a BB10 device. As a result, apps need to be patched in order to accept the modifications.
    But you just write "Yes. But most of those devices are still fully compatible, and GPS gets installed on them anyway." So do they also need to be patched in order to accept the modifications? I guess not.

+ Or did you mean BB10 is complicated and this is why Google Play Services needs to be modified to run an a BB10 device. As a result, apps need to be patched in order to accept the modifications, so its a dead end?
    02-22-16 08:00 AM
    But you just write "Yes. But most of those devices are still fully compatible, and GPS gets installed on them anyway." So do they also need to be patched in order to accept the modifications? I guess not.
    Those are the cheap Chinese devices I was referring to. Please see post #5 including the post I quoted.
    02-22-16 08:07 AM

+ Or did you mean BB10 is complicated and this is why Google Play Services needs to be modified to run an a BB10 device. As a result, apps need to be patched in order to accept the modifications, so its a dead end?
    It's not complicated. It just isn't compatible.
    02-22-16 08:12 AM
    Using Google Play Services offers the developer a whole suite of APIs as well - Google+, Play Games, Location APIs, Maps, Cast, Ads, Wallet, Analytics, and Fit.
    So how it comes Instagram, Spotify and etc. and even Uber now can live without GPS?

As I remember, Tinder also dropped off GPS for couple of months in 2015, just "location" didn't work with BB10.
    02-22-16 08:27 AM
    only in Crackberry where posters actually expect another company to accommodate them in side loading apps that were not built for their os (bb10) to begin with.
    02-22-16 08:27 AM
    only in Crackberry where posters actually expect another company to accommodate them in side loading apps that were not built for their os (bb10) to begin with.
    .APK could become universal app format and it would be no limitation by any OS (even BB10), to begin with.

+ it could be used by BB10, WP or whatever other OS, even iOS )
    02-22-16 08:32 AM
    So how it comes Instagram, Spotify and etc. and even Uber now can live without GPS?
    Because they don't currently make use of the APIs?

More and more developers ARE though - it is increasing every day. My Banking apps switched last year too.
    02-22-16 08:37 AM
    As a public service I include the following link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

OP I urge you to have a look.
    02-22-16 09:20 AM
    Google play services are NOT mandatory to use in any app, but they do provide better location and notification APIs. Also if your app includes any in-app purchases, the billing API is also included in google play services.

Also when an app is uploaded into Google play you know with 99.9% certainty that anyone who downloads the app will always have the latest version of google play services.

Also Google play services are android apps themselves and can be sideloaded on any android device (that's how people who flash cyanogenmod on their phones get access to Google play).
    02-22-16 01:32 PM