Because everyone is a hypocrite
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-28-13 02:25 PM
    Nobody will be excited about the Z50 and Q30 with those specs if we have to wait until Q3 of next year before they launch. Especially when they blunder on and price the phones as expensive or more expensive than their contemporaries at the time.

BlackBerry are still a year behind the hardware technology curve due to the delays in getting the initial BB10 software out of the door. When BB10 was first delayed they should have scrapped the hardware and built a new phone with newer components and features. Maybe then back in January the Z10 would have been more like how the very good Z30 is now.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 11-28-13 at 07:46 PM.
    11-28-13 02:36 PM
    I'm excited because it means I won't have to hear people go on about how "BlackBerry is behind on specs"

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 08:53 AM
    I'm excited for a Q30 because it's probably a final chance for BlackBerry to win my business and fix the only issue with the Q10 which was the small screen, in my opinion. The Q10, to me, is the true legacy of BlackBerry devices. The only issue was that the square screen is too small in this day and age of web browsing, video watching and reading documents (PDFs, DOCs, etc). If the Q30 ever materializes as a real device, they just need to make the screen taller at 3.5 - 3.7 inches, add in a larger battery to fit the body of the device and you have a killer BlackBerry: Physical keyboard, great battery life and decent size screen.
    Last edited by Plazmic Flame; 11-30-13 at 11:54 AM. Reason: I'm OCD when it comes to grammar on the internets. I refuse to be apart of the problem.
    11-29-13 02:54 PM
    yeah seriously....why get excited for better bb10 phones with better specs...whats the point of that..
    11-29-13 03:00 PM
    Because the grass isn't always greener on the other side unless it's your grass.
    11-29-13 03:07 PM
    I'm only excited for a Q30 and the only reason is because it's probably a final chance for BlackBerry to win my business and fix the only issue with the Q10 which was the small screen, in my opinion. The Q10, to me, is the true legacy of BlackBerry devices. The only issue was that the square screen is too small, in this day and age of web browsing, video watching and reading documents (PDFs, DOCs, etc). If they Q30 ever materializes as a real device, they just need to make the screen taller 3.5 - 3.7 inches, add in a larger battery to fix the body of the device and you have a killer BlackBerry device: Physical keyboard, great battery life and decent size screen.

Really you have to wonder about the thought processes that resulted in the Q10. I suspect that BBOS loyalists inside BB who don't seem to mind a small screen, held sway. I think that they put so much focus on a all touch phone that they lost sight of the needs of the physical keyboard folks. Of course many BBOS loyalists here are misguided in thinking that a 3.1 inch screen with a trackpad is what the market needs.

The Q30 represents the last opportunity for BB to make a handset that brings in users from other platforms while being a favored business phone.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    11-29-13 07:45 PM
    Because the grass isn't always greener on the other side unless it's your grass.
    Very well said

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 08:40 PM
    Some of us can't even see the Z30, much less the Z50, etc.
    11-29-13 08:45 PM
    They really need to put all their eggs in one basket and deliver something that screams high end with the specs we expect from a high end phone. The z30/a10 was a real disappointment considering the initial rumored specs. BlackBerry 10 needs to evolve at a faster rate as well.

Posted via CB10
    adamlau likes this.
    11-30-13 03:12 PM
    Hmm, this begs the question, "Will we ever be truly satisfied with whatever BlackBerry release?"
    Albeit, having asked that question, it would be nice for them to release a device to the tune of the BlackBerry 9000 and 9900. Virtually ALL BlackBerry users loved those two devices the most. We need those days back...

They really need to put all their eggs in one basket and deliver something that screams high end with the specs we expect from a high end phone. The z30/a10 was a real disappointment considering the initial rumored specs. BlackBerry 10 needs to evolve at a faster rate as well.

Posted via CB10
    8lackberry8 likes this.
    11-30-13 03:23 PM
    Hmm, this begs the question, "Will we ever be truly satisfied with whatever BlackBerry release?"
    Albeit, having asked that question, it would be nice for them to release a device to the tune of the BlackBerry 9000 and 9900. Virtually ALL BlackBerry users loved those two devices the most. We need those days back...
    That's true even I'm interested in finding a 9000 just too see how it is. I don't think the specs are that huge, but it can't launch with the problems of the Z10 or the self created "overhype" of the Z30. I think when they combine killer specs, universally loved design and build, stellar battery life and probably 10.3 it will be praised by the BlackBerry community like the 9000

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:48 PM
    I don't get why everyone is now excited for a Quad Core and 1080p BlackBerry smartphone when so many people were bashing these ideas when the rumored specs for the Z30 were leaked a few months ago. I'm excited for sure, but I don't get why the people saying that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, BB doesn't need quad core, you don't need more than 2GB of ram, etc are excited about the rumored specs of the next gen BB devices?
    We are just being unbiased tech lovers

Sent from my Z30
    12-02-13 08:43 PM
    I don't get why everyone is now excited for a Quad Core and 1080p BlackBerry smartphone when so many people were bashing these ideas when the rumored specs for the Z30 were leaked a few months ago. I'm excited for sure, but I don't get why the people saying that you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, BB doesn't need quad core, you don't need more than 2GB of ram, etc are excited about the rumored specs of the next gen BB devices?
    I think people are excited because they expect the new Q30/Z50 to have hardware up to par with the competition.... Personaly I do aswell, not so much in the processor or screen area, anything over 300PPI is enought for me, but I think BB needs a more modern design, a more eye catching device to improve the first impressions and atract people to play with the device in the stores, at the same time letting people know that BB still exists and makes great phones.

I don't mind having iphone specs if I have iphone 5s performance... "speed" specs is cool for the un-educated consumer.

Since the specs that we are talking about are 99% speculation, I can't say I'm that excited. But I'm realy excited to see J.Chen's first devices, to see the path that Blackberry is taking, that is exciting
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    12-02-13 08:59 PM
    Well I think the Z10 got the visual right (design and display). The Z30 got the audio right. So the Z50 should be the perfect phone. Yeah that's right. I said it. Perrrfecto!

BB10 or Bust!
    12-02-13 11:30 PM
    I think people are excited because they expect the new Q30/Z50 to have hardware up to par with the competition.... Personaly I do aswell, not so much in the processor or screen area, anything over 300PPI is enought for me, but I think BB needs a more modern design, a more eye catching device to improve the first impressions and atract people to play with the device in the stores, at the same time letting people know that BB still exists and makes great phones.

I don't mind having iphone specs if I have iphone 5s performance... "speed" specs is cool for the un-educated consumer.

Since the specs that we are talking about are 99% speculation, I can't say I'm that excited. But I'm realy excited to see J.Chen's first devices, to see the path that Blackberry is taking, that is exciting
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. While I think the BB10 devices are good, even great I don't think they have been enough to really catch the eye of other people. Like the 5s gets great performance with what would be considered mid range specs. I hope we see something new and fresh where maybe they take some risks on design and build like HTC did with the One. Considering how good performance is with specs like we have now, I feel like we would blow everything else out the water with the most recent and high end processor. Kind of like how the Lumia 1520 is destroying Android phones with a Snapdragon in performance even though wp8 is fast and smooth with a dual core.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 10:23 AM
    no one was ever bashing a quadcore 1080p just said its not needed in a phone, it still isn't but a more powerful BB will make it more competetive in a market full of Android. why must you question peoples excitment based on a miss understandment on your behalf?
    JWWDUKE likes this.
    12-03-13 05:38 PM
    Quadcore not really needed other than to show that one can play the spec game. What will really get people talking is not the $900 quad-core behemoth from BlackBerry. It will be the 2+GHz dual-core, with 2GB RAM and 16GB (maybe 32) storage that will sell for $200 (or less) off contract. They don't have to make a huge margin in profit. The actual specs could be updated, but I think if they want to even gain a niche market they are going to have to cater to a wider range of users than the wealthier business types or the diehards. If we looked at the Kantar reports (in another thread) it showed gains for Android and Windows Phone. Why? Not because of their 5" Quad-core behemoth offerings. Nope. It is their 4" dual core cheap offering that can do the same thing (mostly) as their bigger brothers that are selling. So I'm talking cheap android devices and 500 series nokias. That is where the growth is. Besides, don't they know that managers want to give their employees the cheap phones and get the big expensive ones for themselves?

I love the prospect of a big quad-core, but would rejoice at a sub $200 phone that still offers the great BB10 OS. BB doesn't need quad core processors. They NEED marketshare.
    12-03-13 06:05 PM
    As long as the OS and apps run smooth I really don't care if they have the latest specs under the hood. Having said that, a sharp high res screen for photo and video viewing would be great, and since they hyped the time shift camera so much at BB10 launch a better camera built in would be high on my wish list.
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    12-03-13 06:21 PM
    I love the prospect of a big quad-core, but would rejoice at a sub $200 phone that still offers the great BB10 OS. BB doesn't need quad core processors. They NEED marketshare.
    They need both the cheaper option and a higher end one, but incidentally, the sub $200 phone is practically there now in the uk as once you take off vat, the z10 works out to the equivalent of $220.

The issue with a sub $200 phone is that unlike companies such as google or amazon, they cannot give away the hardware in order to make money in other ways which is why they are taking that step back from the consumer market and reducing their costs so that they can get by on lower volumes.
    12-04-13 04:19 AM
    They need both the cheaper option and a higher end one, but incidentally, the sub $200 phone is practically there now in the uk as once you take off vat, the z10 works out to the equivalent of $220.

The issue with a sub $200 phone is that unlike companies such as google or amazon, they cannot give away the hardware in order to make money in other ways which is why they are taking that step back from the consumer market and reducing their costs so that they can get by on lower volumes.
    Actually, they can make that money off of a sub $200 phone in enterprise... by converting higher numbers of BES10 licenses.
    12-04-13 08:23 AM
    Actually, they can make that money off of a sub $200 phone in enterprise... by converting higher numbers of BES10 licenses.
    The drawback to that plan is that they would need to make back the losses they were making on the phones that connected to BES and all the phones that were bought at the low price without doing so.
    12-05-13 12:51 AM
    At $100 per year it is more profitable than making an extra $75 or $100 on a phone sale once, no?

They could (should!) also offer a hosted cloud service for non enterprise customers to get them onto the BES10.
    12-05-13 01:40 PM
    They were against them because BlackBerry didn't have them.....

Its like when everyone said that 1GB was all the memory that an optimized OS should need.... but because the Z10 launched with 2GB they now think that is a great thing. They forget that 1 GB would have been better for power usage or that the requirement of 2GB indicates that the OS is not very optimized (especially seeing that Kit-Kat can run on 512MB of RAM and seems to offer more features).
    Doesnt a micro kernel OS require larger memory usage to run all the separate systems rather then monolithic that generally use less space because all the operations are in one "box"

Swordsmanship Channel C000C9AF6
    12-06-13 09:47 AM
    Doesnt a micro kernel OS require larger memory usage to run all the separate systems rather then monolithic that generally use less space because all the operations are in one "box"

Swordsmanship Channel C000C9AF6
    There may be a difference there, but I would think it's a very small, inconsequential difference.

The bigger difference is the architecture of apps in BB10 and how they are managed in the background compared to Android and iOS. Android and iOS are able to reclaim significant amounts of RAM as they need to from apps that are not in the foreground.

BB10 manages apps more like a desktop OS, which requires much more RAM.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    TechADD likes this.
    12-06-13 10:17 AM
108 1234 ...