If Blackberry is sold for parts, BB10 will probably be purchased by some Asian hardware company for use in some future products like LG which bought webOS for use in TVs.
    richardat likes this.
    10-13-13 11:06 AM
    BlackBerry is different. It will be there for another 5 years, Mark this post. As normal business is in trouble not dead yet, death comes slowly and it might

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 12:57 PM
    I can see the pitch already. "Come license BB10 from us. Sure, we haven't been able to sell it on our own BlackBerry devices despite our millions of loyal customers, but we're sure that you can succeed where we have failed. You don't want to build too many units though, just in case."
    Well the weight of the BlackBerry Z10 is more than my BlackBerry Bold 9780. I'm not sold on touch screen for a communications device.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-13-13 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry is different. It will be there for another 5 years, Mark this post. As normal business is in trouble not dead yet, death comes slowly and it might

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly what the Palm guys said.
    Cashgap and Etios like this.
    10-13-13 04:41 PM
    I'm not sold on touch screen for a communications device.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    Ok.... that's why over a billion of them are expected to be sold in 2013.
    Cashgap likes this.
    10-13-13 04:43 PM
    I'm not sold on touch screen for a communications device.
    LOL, no doubt your great-great-grandfather expressed similar sentiments about those confounded horseless carriages as a means of transportation.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    Cashgap, notfanboy and Saiga like this.
    10-13-13 05:12 PM
    You gotta be stupid as hell to think "oh blackberry might be gone soon I better buy an android..." why??? if blackberry EVER fails so badly that they will have to go bankrupt WHY do you think blackberry 10 OS will be done?? What's wrong with you? They will probably will license the OS to third parties and they will build the devices for the OS... I mean are we really gonna miss out if blackberry won't manufactore the device rather then let's say Asus, LG, HTC or Sony?? don't think so they can make just as good touchscreens as blackberry

Posted via CB10
    Good one! I love a good joke.

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    10-13-13 07:38 PM
    Regardless of what happens, as long as there's a community or fan base to keep it alive, BB10 will live on. I still think it's the best OS out there in the market now so count me in as one of the ones to stick with it until a better alternative comes.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-13-13 10:48 PM
    It has already been reported that other manufacturers aren't interested in BB10. So why would somebody really want to buy or license it? Samsung has Tizen, Sony isn't interested in anything besides Android, HTC just made a deal with Microsoft to improve their partnership. Who is left now? ZTE is going with Firefox OS for very low-price devices and seems to be quite successful with it.

Even if somebody would buy the software department, or BB10 development in particular, the current BB10 devices will most likely be left without any future support. Why should the new owner be interested to update devices he didn't even built?

One way or the other, BB10 has a very uncertain future.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    richardat and Etios like this.
    10-14-13 10:15 AM
    You don't have to wait, BB10 is dead right now. Blackberry no longer has the engineering capability to continue development and no buyer is going to dump money into a platform thoroughly rejected by the market. The BB10 you have now is all that it will ever be.
    richardat and Etios like this.
    10-14-13 02:23 PM
    Lol... Some panic people afraid of losing BB10 support, they jumped ship.

This is what i did in the worst case scenario.

1. Get the latest BB10 (Z30, Z10 or Q10). I'm getting myself a Z30.
    2. Download all the leaks and save it in your pc.
    3. Download and save all the APK files you can get your hands on.
    4. Use Darcy tools or sachesi to load leaks and ddpb for side loads.
    5. Disconnect bbid (stop using bbm or related and don't update)
    6. Use phone for the next few years.

Hey, you've already bought the phone outright.. Why waste money on something still functional? It's not like your phone will go bust or disfunctional if BlackBerry go south. Use it as it is. You don't need to depend on manufacturer unless if the phone is buggy as heck..
    I still have friends using gingerbread and on OS5... Still using it as their daily driver.

Just use your phone as it is. If BlackBerry go south, u can still use it as usual. And if you need apps, sideload it...
    That's like going to the grocery store and stocking up on Ice Cream with a hurricane coming..... power goes out and you are going to make yourself sick not letting it go to waste.

No reason to panic right now (unless you are an IT Administrator) if you already own a BB. But for anyone considering making a purchase, not sure I'd consider BB being a long term option at this point. Nor am I so sure that BlackBerry network going down wouldn't affect none BES/BIS users more than some believe.

How well does the phone work if you don't enter a BBID during setup? Will LINK work with no BBID validation? Will Remote File Access work? Can you turn off BBM and the UPDATE APP, or will they continue to "look" for the BB Servers? Will we get error messages if they don't get a reply every now and then? What happens if there is a major update to Flash, and BB isn't there to push it to us?
    10-14-13 03:49 PM
    Would be funny if the old CEO's came back in and The platform returned to an updated version of OS7, and made an boosted Bold 9900 and such
    10-14-13 05:20 PM
    You know, when your very first sentence contains "you gotta be stupid as hell" you just make yourself look worse than anyone you may be talking about AND completely invalidate any point you were trying to make.
    Comment of the day. By far!
    10-14-13 05:22 PM
    I like how the OP thinks with the snap of a finger, BlackBerry 10 can magically appear on competitors devices for free! I know he means well but it's not that simple.
    10-14-13 05:30 PM
    I can't see it happening the way webos went.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free
    Then you must have your rose colored glasses on today.
    10-14-13 05:31 PM
    That's exactly what the Palm guys said.
    It wasn't their fault that HP buried them and took a premature loss

Posted with my Q10!
    10-14-13 07:16 PM
    I seem to recall reading that the staff told the passengers on the Titanic that everything was fine too.
    10-14-13 07:23 PM
    BlackBerry is financially stable even though it is in the process oflaying off 4,500 workers and considering a breakup.

I'd hate to see them not stable!

Seriously though, when you hear a corporation tell you that you can count on them and that they are here to stay, its only a matter of weeks before they fold.
    10-14-13 07:26 PM
    It wasn't their fault that HP buried them and took a premature loss
    !
    One of the consequences of selling your company is that you are no longer in it for yourself, rather, you exist at the service of the company that bought you. Also, that vaunted 2.5 billion of cash vanishes and goes towards paying off your purchase price. If BB10 doesn't fit into the strategy of whoever the acquirer is then it will be mothballed - no matter how great people here think it is. If the new company doesn't want to be in the smartphone business then Blackberry will never produce another phone. I think it's pretty safe to say that if HP didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business then whoever buys Blackberry will probably feel the same way.
    10-14-13 07:35 PM
    I think it's pretty safe to say that if HP didn't buy Palm to get into the smartphone business then whoever buys Blackberry will probably feel the same way.
    You're not in the position to make a statement like that. It is most definitely not safe to say that especially when you use the word "probably" to help get your point across.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-14-13 11:47 PM
    Of all the reasons that have been proposed for someone wanting to purchase Blackberry or one of its parts, what you don't hear anymore is that someone wants to get into the smartphone business.
    10-15-13 12:26 AM
    Of all the reasons that have been proposed for someone wanting to purchase Blackberry or one of its parts, what you don't hear anymore is that someone wants to get into the smartphone business.
    And if someone wanted to purchase Blackberry so they could get into the smartphone business, they would be better off purchasing BB7. At least that part of the business is profitable, but shrinking. BB10 is losing money and shrinking.
    10-15-13 09:15 AM
    Would be funny if the old CEO's came back in and The platform returned to an updated version of OS7, and made an boosted Bold 9900 and such
    Yes the legacy devices were doing great also weren't they? If legacy was so great and people were buying them why we're they losing users and in trouble way before bb10?
    10-15-13 10:19 AM
    Yes the legacy devices were doing great also weren't they? If legacy was so great and people were buying them why we're they losing users and in trouble way before bb10?
    5 reasons off the hat.

1. Poor BBOS to BB10 transition, and BBOS's own OS limitations.
    2. Spec wars that Samsung started with sometime during the Samsung Galaxy / Galaxy 2 era.
    3. the BIS debacle of limiting email attachments to 5mb max.
    4. unable to upgrade from BBOS6 to BBOS7 (it was a great deal back then, and people were comparing to OS longetivity against Android's)
    10-15-13 10:52 AM
49 12