Crapple makes 1 model of the Crapphone and adds new features to it on a yearly basis, why can't RIM just make 1 or 2 models and just keep adding and perfecting it on a yearly basis like Crapple does? I say 2 models because I guess they would need a camera on 1 model and non camera on the other for their business clients who can't have a camera on a work phone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 06:33 AM
    Yeah, why not? If Crapple can do it, so should everyone else!

Hey, we can keep this going...
    GM - They only need 1 or 2 models, I mean how many types of cars do we really need.
    GE - Why do we have all those fridges? 1 each Top, Bottom, Split is all we need.

You know, Ma Bell (AT&T if you're too young) had it right - You could get any type of phone you want, as long as was BLACK.

Sorry, could not resist a little morning fun!
    07-23-10 07:09 AM
    I guess because there are more than 2 types of personalities that people have. Unlike the apple zombies who do what they are told they will do.
    07-23-10 07:28 AM
    Yes, Apple only has one phone but they also have other products to keep them going like computers and MP3 players. RIM doesn't, they would never thrive as a company with 1 or 2 phones and no other products
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 07-23-10 at 08:19 AM.
    07-23-10 08:15 AM
    ^ Very true. Plus who doesn't like to have a choice?
    07-23-10 08:25 AM
    It's all about choice and trying to appeal to as wide a customer base as possible.

07-23-10 08:46 AM
    I think the op just felt like saying the words "crapple" so he started a new thread...

Pure genius.
    07-23-10 09:24 AM
    Since there really are just four or five different BlackBerry lines, there really aren't that many different models.

Bold (9700/9650). Top end model with Bold-style keyboard.
    Curve (85xx - soon to be 93xx). Budget model with Curve-style keyboard.
    Pearl (91xx) - Slim style device with SureType keyboard.
    Storm (95xx) - full touch-screen device.

That's what is on the market right now. There are two devices getting added to that, the Flip 9670 and the 9800 slider. Both will probably be limited release to specific carriers.

Not all devices are available on all carriers. The 9700 is GSM-only, so you can't get it on Verizon (instead, you have the 9650). The Storm is a Verizon exclusive, so you can't get it on AT&T. If you want a touch-screen BlackBerry on AT&T, the 9800 will be available soon (so not to break VZW's Storm exclusivity).

Most carriers will have three or four models to choose from. Is that really too many devices?
    07-23-10 09:31 AM
    Exactly, there aren't really a lot of different phones, just carrier specific ones. And in the future Apple is going to have more and more as they keep producing them. They are in a good place right now as they have only been in the phone market for a short time but let's revisit this topic in 5 years and see what people think.
    07-23-10 10:47 AM
    OP, are you for real. Next time you go to the grocery store just try and notice how many different dish soaps there are. It is human nature to crave diversity. Variety is the spice. And always remember an Apple a day, keeps the phone calls away!

07-23-10 05:44 PM
    One thing I like about blackberry is the variety. If I see another that appeals to me, transferring my data is simple. I just pick up where I left off but on a new device.

07-23-10 06:21 PM
    Funny how you call them "crapple" and then go on to ask why blackberry doesn't copy them. Every business is different. Seems to me both are doing OK.
    07-23-10 07:10 PM
    They are Crapple and the point of my post wasn't to say RIM should copy what they are doing...sorry to burst your bubble...

07-24-10 12:36 PM
    why can't RIM just make 1 or 2 models and just keep adding and perfecting it on a yearly basis like Crapple does?
    Sounds like that's exactly what you were saying.
    07-24-10 01:20 PM
    Crapple makes 1 model of the Crapphone and adds new features to it on a yearly basis, why can't RIM just make 1 or 2 models and just keep adding and perfecting it on a yearly basis like Crapple does? I say 2 models because I guess they would need a camera on 1 model and non camera on the other for their business clients who can't have a camera on a work phone...

WHY ? ? ?

Because they have been waiting years for you to ask that question.
    07-24-10 03:40 PM
    I don't see apple coming out with another phone anytime soon. Everything's been covered. They can't come out with a business-savvy phone, because theres BlackBerry. They can't come out with a flip phone, because that's been covered 5 million times.. and then once more. Apple will continue to modify their basic design, but I highly doubt they will ever make any drastic changes (besides MAYBE adding a slide out keyboard) or introduce a new device. I just can't see it.
    07-24-10 04:50 PM
    They are Crapple and the point of my post wasn't to say RIM should copy what they are doing...sorry to burst your bubble...

LOL. I really have no response to this other than to say read your original post over.
    07-24-10 09:19 PM
    I like having many different form factors, I just wish they wouldn't have anything exclusive to just one carrier or type of network. Everybody has a Bold, Curve, and Pearl device now, yet Verizon is the only one with the Storm and its looking like AT&T is going to be the only one with the slider. I personally would consider the slider for my next phone if it came to Sprint/CDMA, so why not make one that is compatible with both types of networks?
    07-24-10 10:23 PM
    It is human nature to crave diversity. Variety is the spice.
    I keep trying to tell my girlfriend this every year just before my birthday. She doesn't seem to agree.

Blackberry really doesn't have many models, as it is. Why streamline it anymore than they already are? If anything, I'd say scrap the Curve line since it doesn't really have anything unique to it that the Bold line doesn't already have. Then you'd have your traditional QWERTY, Slider, Clamshell, Full Touch, and Slimline/Candybar models. I think that would cover all the bases and allow for better market saturation.

RIM and Apple have two different marketing strategies and two different customer demographics. The constant comparisons between the two are getting rather stale and pointless. Both are good companies with a good product, each with it's strengths and weaknesses.
    07-25-10 10:25 AM
    Not all teenagers,young people or adults get on with bolds,storms etc hence the curve range. Its all about product placement and knowing your customer demograph I.e curve 8520's media keys ontop. Apple make the iphone and apple fanboys are happy with that,because they must own every apple product....god imagine the poverty line if apple made more than one phone haha they would need to own them all !!

07-25-10 03:10 PM
    from someone who switched from an iphone 3G to a Bold 9000
    i admire the variation of blackberry.. if someone wants something professional.. go for a bold 9000 or 9700
    if somebody wants more colors then go for a curve.
    if a lady wants a smaller phone then there's the pearl.

my point is, the company conforms to the consumer and not the other way around.
    there's only the iphone with different memory size.
    unless you count 3G, 3GS and iphone 4 as different phones?
    07-25-10 03:20 PM

Yes you did.

why can't RIM just make 1 or 2 models and just keep adding and perfecting it on a yearly basis like Crapple does?
    07-25-10 03:25 PM
    options are good and it is smart to allow people to choose apple has good thought to their strategy but i certainly like choosing the best BB for me the 4 key models are a great way to differentiate the model line its only too bad they dont have all 4 on every carrier. like samsung is doing with the galaxy s 4 identical spec phones slightly different look so you can actually pick your device then the network.
    07-25-10 11:43 PM
    I kind of agree.

I think there should be 3 models - a flagship, a cheapie, and a touchscreen. Put one on each provider.

8300, 8330, 8310, 8350i ?

Keep that confusing **** at home.

The Bold 9700 & 9650 are a step in the right direction.

I'd agree with the choices thing but every bb is more of the same. There's nothing that sticks out above the affray about any individual model, no crazy features. Even with the flagship vs. the curve, the differences are limited. It's not like the flagship can see subfolders on multiple IMAP accounts and the curve can't. It's not like the flagship has an amazing browser and this one doesn't. It's not like the flagship has the ability to sync with multiple google calendars and keep them separate and the curve sticks them all on the same calendar.

They're all too similar to justify all the different models on the market.
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 07-26-10 at 12:00 AM.
    07-25-10 11:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD