Has anyone seen the latest Katy Perry official "Roar" video which has her conquering the jungle? If not, about 23,668,652 other people already have. Notice there are very obvious product placements for the Nokia Lumia Windows smartphone. Watch 3:35 into the video if you don't want to watch the entire video:

I don't know how much money this may have cost, but why doesn't BlackBerry take a chance and spend a couple of million dollars like this in order to get one of the most popular and sexy music artists in one of the most popular songs to use a Z10? This would have been far more effective than their Super Bowl ad, which had no impact from what I've read and probably did more harm than good.

Here's what could pop into the typical person's mind when they see this video: "What kind of phone is that? It's not an iPhone 5 or Galaxy S4....it's... a Nokia? Wow, that's different. So sleek and shiny. Those images it takes really pop with such contrast. It really matches the sexy images in this video! Katy is the hottest music artist right now so that phone must be pretty hot too."

Notice that even if people don't care very much about phones or would never switch based on this, the fact remains that Nokia just associated their phone with Katy's brand in one of the hottest songs on the charts. Even if someone hears the name "Nokia / Windows Phone" now it has a better chance of being thought of positively.

Not so, BlackBerry. Instead, we have no product placement that reaches the critical masses of teenagers, young adults, etc. There is virtually nothing positive associated with BlackBerry that most people can see. Yes, we have Formula One, but last time I checked there were few people in the US that really follow that compared to other sports. Yes, Alicia Keys is an accomplished performer, but I don't think she enjoys the immense popularity and positive perception that Katy Perry does.

I think that BlackBerry should take a hard look at current celebrities that have a strong, smart, sexy, and iconic presence to associate with their brand. In my mind the first person who pops up is James Bond. Why wouldn't James Bond use a Z10 and Q10? BlackBerry should pay heavily to get a Z10 into Daniel Craig's hands for the next bond film, and he should use it to save the world. Could anyone seriously see an iPhone in his hands? HTC is already working on Robert Downey Jr. to tap into his Iron Man / billionaire Tony Stark persona who only uses the most advanced gadgets and hardware, so it's not far-fetched.

Admittedly, Katy's lyric video version of "Roar" used an iPhone the entire time, but I digress I think this latest "Roar" video is much more visually impactful and I bet most people would agree. 25K more people have watched this video in the time it took me to type this post, and it's not even daytime hours!
    beamolite likes this.
    09-08-13 03:38 AM
    Easy: BlackBerry doesn't want to sell to private customers, they want to be a high end brand that nobody can afford.

That's why they have focused on Porsche design and make the phones way to expensive.

So they get a luxury status and not like a toy status like apple has

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 03:48 AM