I am curious why US Cellular or any other carrier does not allow or have WiFi on their phones? When using WiFi, the phone is not using their data lines right? So that would be a good thing I would think. We still have to pay the data plan charge every month, we just are not using it as much which frees it up for others. Do any of you have any insight into this? Thanks.
    11-10-09 01:31 PM
    They do. Just not any BlackBerrys yet. U.S. Cellular - Phone Details
    11-10-09 02:03 PM
    Any reason why they have not allowed this on BB yet? I know their may be some technical...business reason...but it doesn't make much sense. Thanks.
    11-10-09 02:09 PM
    Name me a CDMA BlackBerry that has WiFi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 02:23 PM
    Ok..so it is a phone/technology issue. I can live with that. I just was wandering why. I love my BB...I love US Cell's coverage and service...just would love to get me some wifi on it.
    11-10-09 02:30 PM
    Storm2, Tour2, Curve 8530 is launching WiFi...
    My guess is because Verizon didn't want WiFi before, now they want it on all their BB's, therefore it's going to be on all CDMA BB's...

Verizon controls the CDMA market.
    11-10-09 02:31 PM
    Ok...now...any idea when USCC might be offering such devices? I am up for renewal and if it may be in the next 6 months...I will wait If it is a year or so off...I might get the Tour now.
    11-10-09 02:37 PM
    Storm2, Tour2, Curve 8530 is launching WiFi...
    My guess is because Verizon didn't want WiFi before, now they want it on all their BB's, therefore it's going to be on all CDMA BB's...

Verizon controls the CDMA market.
    Bingo. Sprint and VZW have mandated (or finally come around) and required that all BB's on their networks have Wi-Fi. So going forward this won't be an issue but up until now since Big Red didn't want it on their network...USCC didn't get it either.

The Curve 8530 is coming soon for USCC, some say around Christmas.
    11-10-09 03:05 PM
    Yeah, I would agree with the VZW and Sprint rationale. They didn't want it, then they do. I am guessing its because it reduces strain on their network. It is a great feature that benefits the consumer and the company (more the company though, it cuts their costs)
    12-08-09 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD