First, thanks for the positive responses, I like to use facts over opinions.

Has anyone tested write/rewrite speeds on onboard app vs Storage memory? .
    It depends on the BB, as I believe they still use the samsung bundled chips for speed and power savings. I believe the bundle in the STORM 1 (All BB's are different, mostly better) is something like 52MB/s vs 10 MB/s for a Sandisk EXTREME/ULTRA/whatever II MicroSD card. Also, it does this while consuming far less power. I believe the kindle uses the same One/Movi NAND bundled chip, although i'm not sure if they use the newer/less power hungry version.

Because of the way the chip is bundled(BRINGS DOWN COST!), in order to get these benefits, blackberry has to use the bundled samsung product and in fact has no real choice other than disabling the onboard storage(which is dumb if it has it anyways). So to say they can easily add more internal storage memory is the most ridic thing i've ever heard in my life. It's bundled for damn good reasons, including battery life(huge selling point for rim). The other thing is the size of apps for the platform is EXTREMELY small (esp once you delete the help files) in comparison to other platforms. You guys should read some spec sheets before throwing outlandish claims out there.

Currently a 64GB version of the bundled chip is being developed, so hopefully rim will use that in the future. This particular setup may lag in certain areas, but it juggles every area very well. From time of development -> market also takes longer than you think.

Sure, a desktop replacement laptop gets high benchmarks, but if it doesn't last the whole plane ride, why bother? RIM is about balance.

To the person who said it's no big deal to re-download apps from appworld... with AT&T's new 2GB limits, and other carriers soon to follow on new data plans, I would say RIM predicted perfectly what was going to happen.

So, that "limitation" just became the smartest conservation move in cellular history. With businesses, time and bandwidth = money.

On a final note, I am currently in the process of developing an application called "CODRed" (Code-red, get it?), that will (most likely) be able to shrink an OS(6) enough for consumer users to put OS6 on a 9000 or storm 1. Currently booting up at 65~MB free in 5.0, still have much more to delete (mostly BES related) as well as stripping language themes hidden inside of the default zen theme. Hopefully over 70MB free in the next week or so (If you consider the free space on some 256 devices, that should be doable as long as 256 devices will fit 6.0).
    Last edited by Borborygm; 06-27-10 at 08:55 PM.
    06-27-10 08:10 PM
    I've said it before that 256MB models will become the new S1 of OS6. You'll be running around with 30MB or so of free memory or less. It happened with OS4.5 for 64/96MB models, it happened with OS5 and 128MB models, it'll happen with OS6 and 256MB models.
    That was my theory as well, I suppose I'll just have to "deal" with a tad slower Storm2 until the Storm3 comes out. Though I feel that RIM shouldn't be making costumers "deal" with stuff like this. As originally stated, about half of the internal memory that RIM puts into these devices should go towards the RAM memory to make the OS and apps run smoother.
    06-27-10 08:46 PM
    That was my theory as well, I suppose I'll just have to "deal" with a tad slower Storm2 until the Storm3 comes out. Though I feel that RIM shouldn't be making costumers "deal" with stuff like this. As originally stated, about half of the internal memory that RIM puts into these devices should go towards the RAM memory to make the OS and apps run smoother.
    That is the direction. My 9700 has about 2/3rds the RAM as it does ROM. Helps a lot, as I'm usually leveled out slightly over 50% on RAM.
    06-27-10 09:21 PM
78 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD