Serious WASTE OF SPACE! Why include Media Memory on a device? If people save their pics or other things on that partition and the device fails, IT'S ALL LOST!!! That's why everyone with a S1 or S2 ends up saving everything to the removable Memory Card anyway. I don't know of a single user (a competant one anyway) that saves anything to the internal Media Memory on the Storms. RIM should be spending their money on taking all that memory and putting it to use for App space, not including it for useless crap. RIM engineers complain about it costing too much money to put in memory on these devices... well, maybe if RIM would stop wasting money on memory allocation that no one uses, they wouldn't be short on it. GIVE US MORE APP SPACE, NOT USELESS NON-REMOVABLE MEDIA MEMORY!!! Geez!
    06-24-10 10:34 PM
    It's encrypted, which is useful for business purposes. this also means that if RIM ever adds the ability to run applications that are not in app memory they will use this and not MicroSD.
    Also: Apple does this, AND they don't allow you to supplement it with a MicroSD.

for most people the internal memory is just fine; I can put all of my music on it and half of my videos, which I never watch anyways.
    06-24-10 10:38 PM
    So what? You can encrypt Memory Cards as well, so it's not really a valid excuse as you put it. Besides, if the BB dies, you lose everything you stored in it. If my BB takes a dive (even a literal one in water), I can pull the memory card out and it'll be just fine.
    06-24-10 10:48 PM
    who cares? 4g is fine for the podcasts and other stuff they have coming that will surely consume a lot of space as they are dl'ed realtime. where as music pics vids etc can come off the sd card.
    06-24-10 10:54 PM
    who cares? 4g is fine for the podcasts and other stuff they have coming that will surely consume a lot of space as they are dl'ed realtime. where as music pics vids etc can come off the sd card.
    I think you missed the point of the thread... lol
    06-25-10 12:41 AM
    I just want to day that when I shared a bunch of videos in my BB I copied them (one at a time- only 1GB) to my internel memory to copy to his SD care.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 12:52 AM
    Maybe business's that don't allow SD cards? Maybe the government? Honestly, is it that big a deal? Most newer phones have onboard memory, usually alot more than what BB's have.
    06-25-10 06:41 AM
    Civic, why do you insist on keeping a device you obviously can't stand from a company you don't respect and complain incessantly about those things? You have so much knowledge yet you use it in these continuous rants. Your life would be so much more enjoyable with an iPhone or some Android device. Life is insanely short, enjoy it with the things you love.

For me, the IPhone 4G didn't have what I wanted, so I didn't buy it. I didn't take part in the "the 4G can't hold a call Apple is failing thread" along with everyone dancing around prematurely celebrating Apple's supposed failure.

If I have it on memory I also have it saved at home and if the device crashes I have a back up. I back up everything, I am a fan of redundancy.

I like having choices. Non-issue.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-25-10 at 07:10 AM.
    06-25-10 07:06 AM
    I can see the usefulness of onboard Memory if it is fast, if it can increase the speed in which I can take photo's with the phone before transferring them to an SD card I am game. I really hope the onboard memory has speeds similar to Class 10 SD cards or better, since I can't find any Class 10 MicroSD cards.

THOUGH I will probably keep most of my data on SD cards, I can appreciate the desire to have it onboard and do backups on the computer just like the other smartphones on the market, I am just glad they are giving both options.

I would be more glad if I could store apps there but that is just a pipe dream
    06-25-10 07:10 AM
    I think you missed the point of the thread... lol
    I think everyone got it. It was to create another thread for you to gripe about some issue that you think is wrong with the way RIM creates their phones.

I seriously wonder like everyone else why you actually use a Blackberry. Isn't there a phone out there that you would be less unhappy with?
    06-25-10 07:26 AM
    They are providing the user with options. Not everyone requires external memory to go about their day. If 4GB is enough for someone, they don't have to go buy extra memory.

If you are keeping important information on your Blackberry you should be backing it up whether you use internal or external memory. Even, the most reliable enterprise equipment fails without warning.

You want tons of app space right now? Get an iPhone.
    06-25-10 08:45 AM
    So what? You can encrypt Memory Cards as well, so it's not really a valid excuse as you put it. Besides, if the BB dies, you lose everything you stored in it. If my BB takes a dive (even a literal one in water), I can pull the memory card out and it'll be just fine.
    you should look into blackberry desktop manager, it helps you sync your phone with all your media and pictures to your computer, you know sd cards have a failure rate as well, nothing is perfect.
    06-25-10 08:49 AM
    Quit complaining civic for gods sake its getting boring

06-25-10 09:12 AM
    I agree with Steve up there. A lot of people won't even realize they have an SD card. While we are constantly on Crackberry and always looking for that new leak a lot of people will even stick with the same themes and it works for them. A lot of time I wish I was even like the people. If I didn't have to know every single thing about my phone I wouldn't constantly be wanting more and that memory is great for people that don't have a memory card. And the browser we are constantly complaining about it completely satisfying to the average joe lol.

06-25-10 09:30 AM
    There is an application out there that I use, released by MicroSoft, called SyncToy. I used it to back up my internal storage and external storage (SD) on my Bold 9000. Basically, it synchronizes all files with a clone folder on your PC's hard drive. If you add/modify/delete/rename files on either the BB or the PC, it will sync to make them the same. The first sync understandably takes a while depending on the amount of media, but after that it looks for changes only. Most importantly, it serves as a backup to the BB's storage; just run it at the same time you sync your device and do backups.

You can pick up SyncToy from here:

Download details: SyncToy 2.1
    06-25-10 10:05 AM
    I thought you could change that to up to 32meg
    Media>options>media memory
    Default is 5 megs but can increase it to 32

Am I missing something?

06-25-10 10:18 AM
    I thought you could change that to up to 32meg
    Media>options>media memory
    Default is 5 megs but can increase it to 32

Am I missing something?
    You are. That is the Device Memory limit which is the amount of memory the
    device will reserve for multimedia playback.

EDIT: Info provided appears to only apply to OSs prior to 5.0
    06-25-10 10:23 AM
    Many BlackBerrys come with removable storeage. My 9800 is one and my previous phone, the 9800 had removble storage too. Where IS the problem?

With the larger built in memory of the 9000, Desktop Manger can back it up and more importantly so can BES. In fact in the BES environment BES can update corporate files or even reload the entire phone.

If I felt as strongly as the OP seems to about this and other shortcomings of my phone or possibly other things in her life, I think that I would maybe change my phone or start looking for further causes of my discontent.
    06-25-10 10:34 AM
    Sorry. My post above wasn't totally relevant. Well, 3.6 megs in the whole scheme of things isnt really that big of a deal is it? Maybe some with an 8300 series curve could use those few megs.

why not just bump your internal mem for media to 32meg through media options, and then take pics that go to your phone, then transfer them to your card if you're worried about it being lost.

Im sure it will speed up the pic taking process. As far as video..not too sure. I have no problem or lag taking vids at all to my SD.

the 32meg would then be USEFUL memory to help speed up your pic taking time.
    06-25-10 10:48 AM
    You are. That is the Device Memory limit which is the amount of memory the
    device will reserve for multimedia playback.

EDIT: Info provided appears to only apply to OSs prior to 5.0
    Im on the .732 for the tour and my options show as up to 32meg....lower than 5.0 used to give you a max of 5meg i believe.
    06-25-10 10:49 AM
    Many BlackBerrys come with removable storeage. My 9800 is one and my previous phone, the 9800 had removble storage too.
    Wait did I read that right?
    06-25-10 11:01 AM
    Im on the .732 for the tour and my options show as up to 32meg....lower than 5.0 used to give you a max of 5meg i believe.
    If i am not mistaken OS 4.5 had a max of 15mb. everything prior to it was
    either 10 or 12mb

By the bye, when people talk about how much File Free one should optimally
    have to operate smoothly, it is this number they are using to determine that.

At one point the accepted number was no less than 12,xxx,xxx and then
    10,xxx,xxx. Now it is 5,xxx,xxx. I never really thought any of this was relevant,
    just pointing it out.
    06-25-10 11:04 AM
    Wait did I read that right?
    Well apart from the obvious spelling error - sorry, My 8900 has a perfectly removable microSDHC card and I can copy any of my files to and from the Device Memory onto this card.

Functionally it works just like my PC. On that I can copy my file(s) to and from the internal hard disks to say a USB memory stick. The BlackBerry behaves just the same.

Sure I can't remove device Memory but I can't take out my PC's hard disks or main (device) memory whiulst the PC is running.

I actually see no diference.
    06-25-10 11:14 AM
    Yeah, I wasn't talking about the obvious spelling error. You made it seem like you had not one but two 9800's lol
    06-25-10 11:18 AM
    Civic, why do you insist on keeping a device you obviously can't stand from a company you don't respect and complain incessantly about those things? You have so much knowledge yet you use it in these continuous rants. Your life would be so much more enjoyable with an iPhone or some Android device. Life is insanely short, enjoy it with the things you love.

For me, the IPhone 4G didn't have what I wanted, so I didn't buy it. I didn't take part in the "the 4G can't hold a call Apple is failing thread" along with everyone dancing around prematurely celebrating Apple's supposed failure.

If I have it on memory I also have it saved at home and if the device crashes I have a back up. I back up everything, I am a fan of redundancy.

I like having choices. Non-issue.
    How do ya think her post count got so high, she ran outta good things to say so had to revert to complaining on a daily basis

What's funny is when I first started this forum, I used to look her posts up specifically cause back then she posted a lot of knowledge which I USED and found quite helpful until she slowly drifted into this "mess of a whiner" now and have lost all respect for her.

Should change her pin from "Page Ranking person" to "Most Ranking Whiner" on CB. lol
    Last edited by JoelTruckerDude; 06-26-10 at 10:44 AM.
    06-26-10 06:16 AM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD